Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 215005 times)

DinnerDog425, Dmng and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Trail

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 8
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4080 on: October 18, 2023, 07:52:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Any of the last resort shoes run on the wider side?
[close]

vm003s feel wider than vm001s in the same size. more space in the vm003s, but not enough to go half size down imo

Thanks I was thinking VM003 or CM001

lincoln

• Rep: 9
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4081 on: October 19, 2023, 12:36:04 AM »
Was just watching the UCI vs. Heath video of J. Strickland's archives: https://youtu.be/iGnmVLX1_TM?feature=shared&t=51

Can anybody identify these shoes Heaths wearing at 0:51?

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 101
« Reply #4082 on: October 19, 2023, 12:54:05 AM »
Was just watching the UCI vs. Heath video of J. Strickland's archives: https://youtu.be/iGnmVLX1_TM?feature=shared&t=51

lincoln

• Rep: 9
« Reply #4083 on: October 19, 2023, 01:38:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wow thanks!

Banned from the room

« Reply #4084 on: October 21, 2023, 09:35:22 PM »

Look at this old shit. Cool right?

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #4085 on: October 22, 2023, 08:41:56 AM »
How are DSM decks? Solid? Shitty? Are they all made in China? Does it matter? Lotsa questions.

Got my eyes on a high concave 8.25 from Enjoi, the shape is nice, but I've never owned a DSM made board before. Any recommendations / caveats would be appreciated.

Jogging José

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #4086 on: October 22, 2023, 08:58:31 AM »
How are DSM decks? Solid? Shitty? Are they all made in China? Does it matter? Lotsa questions.

Got my eyes on a high concave 8.25 from Enjoi, the shape is nice, but I've never owned a DSM made board before. Any recommendations / caveats would be appreciated.

DSM decks are solid. They are all made in China.

In comparison with BBS or PS Stix the DSM decks are on the stiffer side…

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4087 on: October 22, 2023, 10:01:54 AM »

Skated exclusively DSM decks for years. Stiff as fuck and the kicks in most enjoi decks were steep. Would still happily go back but harder to get DSM wood now that Dwindle shit the bed.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4088 on: October 22, 2023, 10:37:30 AM »
Was there a year or two where decks dramatically got bigger? Looking at the start of the setup thread thjngs were still pretty small same with pro setup videos on YouTube.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1343
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4089 on: October 22, 2023, 03:59:39 PM »

You set me up for a good question for this thread but I'm gonna have to bend the wording to make it fit Shoes and Gear.

Since I don't see Frankie Hills' board in that poster, who was he riding for in 1991? Had he already been injured?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4090 on: October 22, 2023, 04:28:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
You set me up for a good question for this thread but I'm gonna have to bend the wording to make it fit Shoes and Gear.

Since I don't see Frankie Hills' board in that poster, who was he riding for in 1991? Had he already been injured?

The look of all those boards are more 80s, maybe 1989 or so or very early 1990, but I didn't follow things that closely.  Hawk medallion is also listed as 1990, so who knows.

I just know the board shapes I had from 1990 and the Frankie Hill board are newer than those ones, so that might have been before Frankie Hill, even in the same year, but an earlier release.

As per Art of Skateboarding site, Frankie Hill had Powell boards from 1990 through 1993, then Consolidated 1993 to 1994 then all over the place after that.

Of course that might not have everything, but I am still guessing he was not yet part of the pro roster at that point.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #4091 on: October 22, 2023, 04:54:01 PM »
Was there a year or two where decks dramatically got bigger? Looking at the start of the setup thread thjngs were still pretty small same with pro setup videos on YouTube.

i think 2007 ish is when i remember seeing that stuff. people riding 8+ on 5.0s and shit. baker 3.
i remember being out skating with some guys in this city, 2008 and they were all on 149s, 54s, 8.25s. their shit looked tough! i was skating a 7.6 with lo’s and 50s and they were flying down hills. it was shocking. i found an old tws buys guide, 2010 with all of the pro setups and pretty much everyone is skating 8-8.5 decks, lots of 139s. brent atchley’s is easy for me to remember because he was skating 7.5, 129 indy lows, and 49s. blasting some air at burnside. there was still a few pros with boards/trucks less than 8. just a guess but by 2012, the kit was 8.25 board on indy 149s. seemed like everyone was about it.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4092 on: October 22, 2023, 05:36:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i think 2007 ish is when i remember seeing that stuff. people riding 8+ on 5.0s and shit. baker 3.
i remember being out skating with some guys in this city, 2008 and they were all on 149s, 54s, 8.25s. their shit looked tough! i was skating a 7.6 with lo’s and 50s and they were flying down hills. it was shocking. i found an old tws buys guide, 2010 with all of the pro setups and pretty much everyone is skating 8-8.5 decks, lots of 139s. brent atchley’s is easy for me to remember because he was skating 7.5, 129 indy lows, and 49s. blasting some air at burnside. there was still a few pros with boards/trucks less than 8. just a guess but by 2012, the kit was 8.25 board on indy 149s. seemed like everyone was about it.

Yeah I feel like the explosion of board widths was somewhat delayed there in USA compared to other places, maybe still is to some degree with a lot more people still riding 8 more so than 8.5 and up, but that is about right.  I recall so many kids wanting bigger and bigger boards around 2004 to 2010, almost like it was a competition to get the biggest / widest board. Some kids up on brand new Creature 8.8 on 169s and looking a little silly at that, but whatever hey?!?  The options for wider boards still didn't carry through most brands, with their "token vert board" being the only 8.25 and up, everything else being 7.8 through 8.1 and the occasional bigger board, going by old catalogs of various brands.

The 144s (and most other 8.25 sized trucks around 2017) came out somewhat later with the interest in 8.25 boards really coming up from 2012 to 2018, but before that a lot of people were riding 139s on 8 or 8.1 options, with the 8.25 size boards being more common with 149s, which just didn't really work as well, but 8.5 with 149s did work well enough for a lot of people who then sized back down somewhat after that to end up around the 8.25 to 8.38 boards on 8.25 trucks, if that all makes sense.

In the middle of that were still a lot of guys who didn't want to size up trucks, but who did try the wider boards, hence all the 8.5 or so on narrow trucks that was around for a while too.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4093 on: October 22, 2023, 07:25:51 PM »
interesting. so in aus ya’ll we’re going bigger in the setups, earlier?
there was the big size up in the early 2000s, were folks moved from venture 5.0s, to indy 139s.

looking back at really old setup videos, bob was skating the mega with like an 8.25.
the big board thing for certain became a fashionable thing. i remember getting really sparked on the Cory setup, with the huffer shape, in 2014 ish, and buying
multiple different large sized trucks to try and a shop
employee at a very ‘hesh’ shop was just kinda over it, mentioning something about how going past 159s was pretty limiting. he wasn’t wrong. lots of tiny kids on 8.75s for a minute there. not a lot of pop.
where i was, in the 90s, you were borderline a kook for having a board that was 8” and above. there was one local that could do all of the flip tricks, switch tres and that, and he skated a larger than 8” board. obviously no one was saying shit because he was super nice, and uh, way better than all of us.
not sure when more of the street pros started skating larger trucks. maybe haslam? he was maybe on 149s before some of the others.
it’s funny looking at some dill and ave footage and they have smaller boards, venture lo’s, and like 54s.

right now i’m kooking it and all stoked on tiny boards, but trying to ride bigger stuff has been a pretty funny way for me to spend more money to skate worse.

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #4094 on: October 23, 2023, 05:38:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Wow thanks!

Am I tripping or is Brian Sumner the one skating in the sequence and the brand put the wrong name on the ad?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4095 on: October 23, 2023, 05:41:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Wow thanks!
[close]

Am I tripping or is Brian Sumner the one skating in the sequence and the brand put the wrong name on the ad?
You're tripping, that's young HK
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #4096 on: October 23, 2023, 06:24:43 AM »
Gonz / Krooked seemed to be the first newer company that started putting out bigger boards and shape boards, I want to say that was around like 2004-2005. I feel like that is the time 8" was the most popular size.
I seem to remember a lot of Anti Hero skaters riding bigger boards back in like 2012 kinda like what Brimson was saying
T Funk was already skating a huge 9" looking board 7+ years ago, I feel like it was somewhere around there it started getting really popular to the point every brand offering up to 8.5" and it seemed like 8.25" became the most common size. and then the square noses came shortly after I think.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4097 on: October 23, 2023, 06:31:14 PM »
interesting. so in aus ya’ll we’re going bigger in the setups, earlier?
there was the big size up in the early 2000s, were folks moved from venture 5.0s, to indy 139s.

There were definitely a lot of people going up a lot, but not everyone, that's for sure, and maybe even more of the kids and new skaters, compared to the older guys, or better guys, who had it all worked out on whatever they were currently on, some still riding 8 or at most 8.25 boards.

I was still riding the 8.125 (black eagle) on 139s as my main board up until 2017, then on 144s for a year after that, but I had one 8.5 (blue eagle) setup and one 8.75 (white eagle) setup, more so just to have the option to roll around on bigger boards when I was lazy or injured, but they definitely were not my main setups.

I think USA was always way bigger in the skate world, so had a lot more seasoned pros and others who were used to smaller boards, so that was the main factor behind board sizes NOT going up as much as other places in the world too.  Sure the average pro now might be on a bigger board, but a lot of guys are still riding around 8" and not going bigger.

Looking back at a few kids who are now adults (at least the ones who still skate) and most who went to big board world around that time, then came back down to a more comfortable size, eg 8.25 to 8.38 which is a more common thing now, I think those two being the main sizes in the range that sell the most.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #4098 on: October 24, 2023, 08:05:34 AM »
imo

8" : size 7-9 shoe
8.25" 9-11 shoe
8.5": 11-12 shoe
8.75": 12+
9": BA

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #4099 on: October 24, 2023, 09:13:44 AM »
imo

8.25" 9-11 shoe
Does board size correlate to dick size also since we already know foot size does?

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #4100 on: October 24, 2023, 11:10:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah I feel like the explosion of board widths was somewhat delayed there in USA compared to other places, maybe still is to some degree with a lot more people still riding 8 more so than 8.5 and up, but that is about right.  I recall so many kids wanting bigger and bigger boards around 2004 to 2010, almost like it was a competition to get the biggest / widest board. Some kids up on brand new Creature 8.8 on 169s and looking a little silly at that, but whatever hey?!?  The options for wider boards still didn't carry through most brands, with their "token vert board" being the only 8.25 and up, everything else being 7.8 through 8.1 and the occasional bigger board, going by old catalogs of various brands.

The 144s (and most other 8.25 sized trucks around 2017) came out somewhat later with the interest in 8.25 boards really coming up from 2012 to 2018, but before that a lot of people were riding 139s on 8 or 8.1 options, with the 8.25 size boards being more common with 149s, which just didn't really work as well, but 8.5 with 149s did work well enough for a lot of people who then sized back down somewhat after that to end up around the 8.25 to 8.38 boards on 8.25 trucks, if that all makes sense.

In the middle of that were still a lot of guys who didn't want to size up trucks, but who did try the wider boards, hence all the 8.5 or so on narrow trucks that was around for a while too.

I got an 8.5 deck around 2006 or 2007. Back then they were still rather rare and hard to get, so I made sure to get the one I had seen. But that changed pretty soon after. Would say around 2008-2010 there was more of a selection of 8.5s to choose from. 

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4101 on: October 24, 2023, 02:41:49 PM »
Expand Quote
imo

8.25" 9-11 shoe
[close]
Does board size correlate to dick size also since we already know foot size does?

i wish. skating a 7.5 and

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 812
« Reply #4102 on: October 27, 2023, 04:33:50 PM »
Is gullwing trucks gone now? I randomly though about them and tried to find a website for them, no luck. No post on thier insta since last year also.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4103 on: October 27, 2023, 05:01:48 PM »
Is gullwing trucks gone now? I randomly though about them and tried to find a website for them, no luck. No post on thier insta since last year also.

Guessing the relevance of an old brand like Gullwing is just not there any more, even though they did make more modern looking trucks and I recall seeing a few people riding them, or riding for them.

Like the end water scene from Titanic, Gullwing silently slipped under the surface and didn't come back up again, with no one really noticing for a while.

I would imagine there would be quite a few more brands disappearing in these trying times, as per quite a few others I have seen quietly close down since the pandemic.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1634
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #4104 on: October 27, 2023, 08:01:01 PM »
Does anyone know how long it took PJ Ladd to take his shoes to this point?

I DMd him like a man and am awaiting a response.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 11:01:27 PM by pugmaster »
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 177
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #4105 on: October 27, 2023, 09:13:08 PM »

The company that bought sector nine also got Gullwing. They're still making trucks but they haven't made the classic/dumb 80's version since they were bought.

https://www.sector9.com/collections/trucks

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 812
« Reply #4106 on: October 28, 2023, 01:22:52 AM »
Thanks ! Forgot they did longboard stuff.

breezy_again

• Rep: 56
  • Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation
« Reply #4107 on: October 28, 2023, 05:37:00 AM »
certain shops buy the hell out of those sidewinder trucks. i'm like who the fuck is riding these things?! i've never seen anyone riding a set in real life.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4108 on: October 28, 2023, 07:53:21 AM »
who has skated the palace boards, specifically those with the longer wb? i love short tails. i don’t like longer boards. these seem fun, but i always tease others about buying off of dimensions, and yet, here i am

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4109 on: October 28, 2023, 05:08:48 PM »
who has skated the palace boards, specifically those with the longer wb? i love short tails. i don’t like longer boards. these seem fun, but i always tease others about buying off of dimensions, and yet, here i am

Some people on here have had them.

Just don't have the time right now to search, but a few came up with just Palace in Shoes and Gear in general.

These ones:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116070.msg3719320#msg3719320

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=94518.msg4022567#msg4022567

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=126088.msg4014384#msg4014384

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=122395.msg4016089#msg4016089

The main thing I recall from someone was that the board is not that short, and maybe was 32.2 or so long after all.