Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 364407 times)

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #1530 on: February 08, 2021, 10:14:48 AM »
Anyone try Venture 5.8 on 8.25 boards? Got a pair of Venture 5.8 Titanium I would like to revisit, on the recent Nine Club episode he talked about riding 149 truck on 8.25 boards.

I would like the extra hanger real estate but the heft of 5.8 trucks worries me, even for the Titanium versions.
Ive skated 5-8 on 8.25 board for like the past 2 years. Absolutely love it. Sure the hanger pops out the side a bit but I dont care.

Weezil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #1531 on: February 08, 2021, 05:33:44 PM »
Anyone try Venture 5.8 on 8.25 boards? Got a pair of Venture 5.8 Titanium I would like to revisit, on the recent Nine Club episode he talked about riding 149 truck on 8.25 boards.

I would like the extra hanger real estate but the heft of 5.8 trucks worries me, even for the Titanium versions.
I was running that last summer with regular cast 5.8s. it was fun, though if I only did 8.25s I'd of got 5.6s instead but I like to switch it up. felt like I could 50-50 anything running that setup, I was locking in on round bars with conical fulls which isn't my thing.

passtheish

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1532 on: February 09, 2021, 11:34:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Does anybody know if the 6.1s come in Hollows? I’ve seen Lights but not Hollows.

Also, is there much difference in the depth of the hole in the bottom of the forged plates vs. cast? Trying to figure out if I could do the JB Weld treatment for the inverted kingpin.
[close]

I think the 6.1’s are getting a hollow soon, sure I saw it on the Instagram....

Love to try the inverted if I could find those damn krux downlows anywhere anymore....

They just showed up on Tactics

https://www.tactics.com/venture/v-hollow-lights-skateboard-trucks/all-polished-61-hi

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1533 on: February 09, 2021, 11:53:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does anybody know if the 6.1s come in Hollows? I’ve seen Lights but not Hollows.

Also, is there much difference in the depth of the hole in the bottom of the forged plates vs. cast? Trying to figure out if I could do the JB Weld treatment for the inverted kingpin.
[close]

I think the 6.1’s are getting a hollow soon, sure I saw it on the Instagram....

Love to try the inverted if I could find those damn krux downlows anywhere anymore....
[close]

They just showed up on Tactics

https://www.tactics.com/venture/v-hollow-lights-skateboard-trucks/all-polished-61-hi
my wallet is crying dog stop
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
« Reply #1534 on: February 10, 2021, 04:11:57 PM »
I was having a decent enough time breaking in some 144 hollows but I tinkered and made a drastic change for no reason.

Took old bushings from my 55s and put them on 5.8s with just a flat bones top. Feels crazy in the best way. A good, deep turn and I have that nice little wobble that I miss. We’ll see how long the bushings hold up, it will be fun while it lasts.

UncleRandy69

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1535 on: February 10, 2021, 06:05:03 PM »
I rock 5.6 with an ace bottom bushing as my top bushing and a bones medium top bushing as my bottom bushing only with a top washer. The wobble with venture stability is super comfy to me.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #1536 on: February 10, 2021, 06:39:32 PM »
 Never had cast plates on ventures before, only forged. But just put cast plates on my 5.8 titaniums. I like it, skating an 8.25 32 14.25 bbs deck on it. Slightly easier to slip out on some tricks but the pop feels a little more natural, a few of my basic flatground tricks feel a bit more natural but harder flip tricks are still taking some adjusting.

Don't like the extra height, but its largely negligible. The metal is definitely softer and wears down a bit quicker from slides it seems, could possibly end up hitting pivot cup on them. Not fully used to it yet, and I certainly wouldn't be down to skate them on anything shorter than 14.25, but I think I prefer it marginally on this board and it will probably make a slightly longer wb like 14.38 manageable.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 11:48:06 PM by tzhangdox »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1537 on: February 10, 2021, 06:50:03 PM »
Fresh setup this weekend but I'm not sure if I'm ready to love Venture again. Thunder has been so good to me, but the pull of Ventures is ever present. When it's bad, it's horrible. But when it's good, it's heaven.

Fuck it 5.6 V-Hollow is where it's at.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Pee nis

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1538 on: February 10, 2021, 07:25:59 PM »
Fresh setup this weekend but I'm not sure if I'm ready to love Venture again. Thunder has been so good to me, but the pull of Ventures is ever present. When it's bad, it's horrible. But when it's good, it's heaven.

What deck do you have the 5.6 v-hollows on? Just threw mine on an 8.18 fa/hockey with a 14 WB but haven’t ridden it yet. Had them on a quasi proto before but want to try with short WB

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1539 on: February 10, 2021, 07:38:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What deck do you have the 5.6 v-hollows on? Just threw mine on an 8.18 fa/hockey with a 14 WB but haven’t ridden it yet. Had them on a quasi proto before but want to try with short WB

I'm feeling like a Seasons shop deck, preference for 32"-ish decks with a short wheelbase like 14-14.125"
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #1540 on: February 14, 2021, 05:14:39 AM »
Back on the venture train... I don’t know why I want to skate these so bad.

6.1s on an 8.5 Fancy Lad deck with a 14.25wb.  I had them on my Girl G053 shape for a day and it was awful.  I couldn’t gotten used to it but I was t feeling it.

Skated them stock for a week (having lost weight being able to ride trucks stock has put my madness into overdrive with trying trucks out all over agin) and they were fine, not as deep of a turn as the aces I was on but that’s to be expected. 

Then I put some thunder 97a bushings in with flat washers top and bottom... now these things have kicked in.  I imagine this is the way they feel with bones.  Pretty surfy, but still stable.  The turn isn’t super deep but it’s smooth and it’s quicker than with a barrel bushing.

I’ve been skating them with 52mm F4 tablets but today I’m gonna try with some risers with 56mm F4 classics.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1541 on: February 14, 2021, 06:46:35 AM »

6.1s on an 8.5 Fancy Lad deck with a 14.25wb.  I had them on my Girl G053 shape for a day and it was awful.  I couldn’t gotten used to it but I was t feeling it.

Skated them stock for a week (having lost weight being able to ride trucks stock has put my madness into overdrive with trying trucks out all over agin) and they were fine, not as deep of a turn as the aces I was on but that’s to be expected. 

Then I put some thunder 97a bushings in with flat washers top and bottom... now these things have kicked in.  I imagine this is the way they feel with bones.  Pretty surfy, but still stable.  The turn isn’t super deep but it’s smooth and it’s quicker than with a barrel bushing.

I’ve been skating them with 52mm F4 tablets but today I’m gonna try with some risers with 56mm F4 classics.
ha damn! I thought you were going to 159’s for a bit. 97a do feel good - they seem to break in well too. Haven’t gotten enough time with my 94a but hoping it’s the same. Hopes that turn compared to 151s? Neither are deep but you think more stability?

Pee nis

« Reply #1542 on: February 14, 2021, 06:49:51 AM »
Not sure if anyone cares but I threw my 5.6 hollows on an 8.18 FA that has a 14 WB and it feels incredible. Most comfortable I’ve felt on a board, ton of pop and stability but still easy to flick. Other setup is indy on quasi 8.25 at moment, think venture hollow paired with 14 WB to offset the 3.4 inch WB extension may be my sweetspot setup

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1543 on: February 14, 2021, 06:53:34 AM »
Not sure if anyone cares but I threw my 5.6 hollows on an 8.18 FA that has a 14 WB and it feels incredible. Most comfortable I’ve felt on a board, ton of pop and stability but still easy to flick. Other setup is indy on quasi 8.25 at moment, think venture hollow paired with 14 WB to offset the 3.4 inch WB extension may be my sweetspot setup
of course we care. How are the fingers of flat on each of those? Wonder if that accounts for anything w each

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1544 on: February 14, 2021, 07:33:45 AM »

Running my 5.8s on the 033 shape (and 50mm F4 classics) and it goes, one of my favorite setups ever. Same width and length as the 053 but with a shorter WB and longer nose/tail. Probably my best experience with a cast venture high.

You should have no issues with the 56s. I was running an 8.5 FA with the 5.8s/1/8" riser/56 combo and had no wheelbite, even with a bones flat washer.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1545 on: February 14, 2021, 09:34:18 AM »
To any past present venture lo enthusiasts: what’s the largest wheel you can use? I’m thinking 52mm classics, and just not turn sharply.
Much of my venture love is informed by nostalgia: the truck of choice for many of my favorite pros/parts.
If Puleo can skate back alley doors and the like, on 50s....maybe I don’t need gigantic conical fulls for the skatepark/parking lots.

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #1546 on: February 14, 2021, 10:05:17 AM »
To any past present venture lo enthusiasts: what’s the largest wheel you can use? I’m thinking 52mm classics, and just not turn sharply.
Much of my venture love is informed by nostalgia: the truck of choice for many of my favorite pros/parts.
If Puleo can skate back alley doors and the like, on 50s....maybe I don’t need gigantic conical fulls for the skatepark/parking lots.

Loved me some 5.2 lows on 8.25 for a long time.  I normally did 50 or 51 classic shape, but would sometimes do 52.  I don't know that there was much difference in wheelbite with 52s.  I still had wheelbite regardless since I don't do tight trucks. 

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1547 on: February 14, 2021, 10:14:30 AM »
I rock 5.6 with an ace bottom bushing as my top bushing and a bones medium top bushing as my bottom bushing only with a top washer. The wobble with venture stability is super comfy to me.

Interesting! This is allowing you to skate ventures wobbly loose while maintaining some stability on center? (Just to make sure I understand correctly)

I discovered this recently about the new Krux and was wondering if ventures could be modified to have that same quality too. Whenever I ride the “turny” trucks wobbly loose the lack of stability on center always messes me up so I’m always looking for work arounds where I can have both

Pee nis

« Reply #1548 on: February 14, 2021, 11:30:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
of course we care. How are the fingers of flat on each of those? Wonder if that accounts for anything w each

Looks like about 2 fingers of flat on both don’t see a real noticeable difference. The FA tail is obviously steeper than the quasi maybe that’s accounting for pop feel difference a bit along with the venture in general feeling a bit more stable than indy

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #1549 on: February 14, 2021, 11:42:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
ha damn! I thought you were going to 159’s for a bit. 97a do feel good - they seem to break in well too. Haven’t gotten enough time with my 94a but hoping it’s the same. Hopes that turn compared to 151s? Neither are deep but you think more stability?

With the risers and the conical bushings the 6.1’s turn well. Deep and smooth and you know when you’re close to getting wheelbite   The thunders turn faster but also wheelbite instantly. 

56’s and risers felt great today.  Took a minute to adjust but after that skated the same.  Biggest difference was the shape of the wheels (tablet vs classic)  during slappy crooks.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #1550 on: February 14, 2021, 12:10:10 PM »

Had a G053 on venture 5.8’s last year and I will vouch for you when you say it’s awful. The fact that it was 32 inches long with like a 14.4ish wheelbase with not a lot of fingers of flat on the tail made popping anything on it feel just so heavy. Couldn’t get used to it. Was nice for heftier Ollies but flip tricks and anything else was pretty much non existent. Ghost pop galore. Definitely need some Aces on it instead or something to make the tail feel lighter when popping.

If you’re on ventures on a board that is around 32 inches long I feel like the wheelbase has to be somewhere between 14 to 14.25 for it to actually feel good, anything more and it starts making the tail a bit too heavy feeling.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1551 on: February 15, 2021, 11:09:39 AM »

I wish I had a ledge.

I'm thinking of ordering one of those transformer rail bench things.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1552 on: February 15, 2021, 11:38:49 AM »
Anybody ever put a DLK or similar into a venture low?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1553 on: February 15, 2021, 12:00:52 PM »

Real funny that you mention this, was up last night looking at the different options....kreper vs dlk etc. seems like it would be ideal. Pretty rad, on ig has some tricks on how to install
 But no, I haven’t.

**lloyd, I think, was putting em in venture highs, which have the same height kingpin, so should work, yeah?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 12:13:41 PM by Ok »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1554 on: February 15, 2021, 12:09:23 PM »

I wish I had a ledge.

Damn Flea, is that a real car? That looks so rad!

I think about building a small ledge by myself. Has to fit in my trunk
IG: @flowterspace

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1555 on: February 15, 2021, 01:03:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Real funny that you mention this, was up last night looking at the different options....kreper vs dlk etc. seems like it would be ideal. Pretty rad, on ig has some tricks on how to install
 But no, I haven’t.

**lloyd, I think, was putting em in venture highs, which have the same height kingpin, so should work, yeah?

Yeah, I think it would work for sure since the plates on Ventures are interchangeable. But I guess I was just trying to see how it looked and if it would make that much of a difference.

I shouldn't even be thinking about this shit since I have a newish set of 5.8s and a brand new set of 5.6 hollows, and especially because every time I publicly espouse Venture I go back to Ace (and vice versa).

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1556 on: February 15, 2021, 06:48:12 PM »
Expand Quote

I wish I had a ledge.

[close]

Damn Flea, is that a real car? That looks so rad!

I think about building a small ledge by myself. Has to fit in my trunk

Nfs

I frickin wish I had a car to work on. I been without a car for about 14 years.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1557 on: February 15, 2021, 07:10:53 PM »
Finally caved and copped some venture v hollow 5.6. Looking forward to them arriving. Probably gonna run extra washers on the inside and slap them on an antihero 8.5.

Just wanted to ask what people’s favorite boards are to put 5.6’s on. Thinking about trying one of those primitive 8.25 with the 14 wb.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1558 on: February 15, 2021, 07:52:29 PM »
Finally caved and copped some venture v hollow 5.6. Looking forward to them arriving. Probably gonna run extra washers on the inside and slap them on an antihero 8.5.

Just wanted to ask what people’s favorite boards are to put 5.6’s on. Thinking about trying one of those primitive 8.25 with the 14 wb.

Anything with a short WB, 14 - 14.125. Can't ride them on a bog standard 8.25 x 31.75 x 14.25, but I'm just picky that way.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Pee nis

« Reply #1559 on: February 15, 2021, 08:39:30 PM »

Feels godly on a 8.18 FA/hockey with 14 WB since those extend WB 3.4 inches it offsets it very well. Stable with a ton of pop and no inconvenience flipping board.