Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309439 times)

323-BALM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 46
Re: bikes
« Reply #3360 on: July 08, 2023, 08:10:52 PM »
getting rid of the precious shit is hard, but it’s freeing…for me, bikes are tools for fun. Ride em. Fix em. Replace them. Ride them.

Had to google that lugged Framework—FrameworkS is our guy Nemo Mullaly’s DH project, thought I was crazy

You've clearly never smelled a cauliflower fart.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 253
« Reply #3361 on: July 11, 2023, 06:48:48 AM »
update on the old Cannondale I picked up a few pages back:

I picked up the rear basket from offer up for cheap and put it on yesterday. It seems no matter how I adjust the arms and legs it won’t sit flat without compromising the clearance for the wheel. Is this normal or is this the wrong style basket for my bike? It doesn’t really bother me but just curious 

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #3362 on: July 11, 2023, 08:50:42 AM »

I picked up the rear basket from offer up for cheap and put it on yesterday. It seems no matter how I adjust the arms and legs it won’t sit flat without compromising the clearance for the wheel. Is this normal or is this the wrong style basket for my bike? It doesn’t really bother me but just curious

may want to consider getting some longer struts that mount to the top eyelets for that rack. you can usually bend those to make the rack fit your bike well.

that being said, a different design rack frame may work better - but if you want to go low cost, getting new rack struts for the top may be the easiest thing to do.
good come sausage

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3363 on: July 11, 2023, 09:16:18 AM »

Yeah, might be a rack for a smaller wheel size, it looks like a reach for a 700c.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 253
« Reply #3364 on: July 11, 2023, 09:34:31 AM »
Makes sense, thanks for the info @BartHarleyJarvis @concerned_parent !

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #3365 on: July 12, 2023, 03:38:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

may want to consider getting some longer struts that mount to the top eyelets for that rack.

Absolutely this. Your local shop probably sells the long Topeak struts, but also they’re a few bucks on Amazon if you feel like going that way.

https://a.co/d/8vxt4j3
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

thetrashisright

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3366 on: July 12, 2023, 10:54:39 AM »
I have the kind of standard narrow bike rack, it's just a 25lb capacity one because I don't have the standoffs for a proper one (and I got it for $10 at a swap meet). I haven't really figured out a good way to carry things on it, besides panniers which it wouldn't support, what's a good way to pack things onto it while keeping a relatively narrow profile? It seems like I'd need something with a solid bottom, but I don't want to go milk crate.

323-BALM

« Reply #3367 on: July 12, 2023, 11:27:13 AM »
The old aluminum book racks with the spring-loaded grabber trap thing are the hit. Pletscher style. Sounds like you have the platform style—without the mousetrap thing? I’ll hang saddle bags and commuter-style attached with the built in clips off those all day—25lbs is actually a lot, and nothing’s gonna happen if you overload it for a couple hours really. Maybe a wobble if you’re standing and delivering, but your frame can take it (your seatpost maybe not so much, if it’s a single attachment deal).
Don’t be afraid to bend racks and fenders to fit your shit. YOURE THE BOSS HERE!!!

I run rear racks and at least one fender on every city bike I have. Year round. Take that backpack off!

323-BALM

« Reply #3368 on: July 12, 2023, 11:29:05 AM »
ATTACHÉS!

Got like three corny convertible briefcase style bags with built-in clips…anything’s better than riding with a backpack!

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3369 on: July 13, 2023, 05:01:40 AM »
I have the kind of standard narrow bike rack, it's just a 25lb capacity one because I don't have the standoffs for a proper one (and I got it for $10 at a swap meet). I haven't really figured out a good way to carry things on it, besides panniers which it wouldn't support, what's a good way to pack things onto it while keeping a relatively narrow profile? It seems like I'd need something with a solid bottom, but I don't want to go milk crate.

Racks like that are made to pair with panniers and honestly there isn’t a whole lot of reason to use one without the bags. If you want something you can just stuff your crap into, get a Wald basket and a bungee net for the top.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #3370 on: July 13, 2023, 10:00:18 AM »

i run this thing on my rear rack on my bike and can usually jam my u-lock, a jacket, a four pack of beer, a book, and my wallet/phone in there. i've gotten groceries with it too. velcro keeps it pretty stable on the rack.

https://www.rei.com/product/204101/rei-co-op-beyonder-soft-folding-basket
good come sausage

buffalo hunter

• Rep: 35
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3371 on: July 14, 2023, 02:44:38 PM »
I use a Topeak bag with panniers that fold into the bag.

https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product/858-MTX-TRUNKBAG-EXP

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #3372 on: July 25, 2023, 04:34:37 PM »
Anyone else on Zwift?

I love and hate the climb portal thing they have going on this month. I wish they’d make it a permanent feature.

Also, if you’re on Zwift, there’s a Slap Pals group there. Join and let’s suffer together.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #3373 on: July 25, 2023, 08:27:38 PM »
Anyone else on Zwift?

I love and hate the climb portal thing they have going on this month. I wish they’d make it a permanent feature.

Also, if you’re on Zwift, there’s a Slap Pals group there. Join and let’s suffer together.

I have only done three of them.  I kind of like the suffer.  It is a permanent feature.  It's just going to rotate which one is available to ride.  I forgot if it would alter every week or so.  Which is kind of a bummer.  But maybe it'll motivate me this winter to do the long ones.
I read on Zwift Insider that... I just go find it.

https://zwiftinsider.com/climb-portal/

They updated it with a schedule.  Changes every 2-5 days it looks like.

I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3374 on: July 26, 2023, 07:49:30 AM »
I bought a new in box smart trainer recently from a thrift store and I think I'll use it to get Zwifty, but not until winter.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3375 on: July 26, 2023, 08:31:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone else on Zwift?

[close]

I have only done three of them.  I kind of like the suffer.  It is a permanent feature.  It's just going to rotate which one is available to ride.  I forgot if it would alter every week or so.  Which is kind of a bummer.  But maybe it'll motivate me this winter to do the long ones.
I read on Zwift Insider that... I just go find it.

https://zwiftinsider.com/climb-portal/

They updated it with a schedule.  Changes every 2-5 days it looks like.

I like the suffer as well. As much as I also like the long climbs, I love how the short and steeps have me questioning my life’s decisions.

323-BALM

« Reply #3376 on: July 26, 2023, 08:54:16 AM »
damn. You are definitely cyclists!

trainers are way too gnarly for me. I hope to never pedal on a trainer for the rest of my life.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3377 on: July 26, 2023, 09:37:09 AM »
damn. You are definitely cyclists!

trainers are way too gnarly for me. I hope to never pedal on a trainer for the rest of my life.

I live in a relatively flat area have an infant, so driving out to climbs isn't an options. Reason why I use my trainer for climbing. If I just need miles, I'd much rather take the bike out into the real world.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #3378 on: July 26, 2023, 09:51:58 AM »
I got old, and winters are harsh.  Shit happens.  Needs change.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

323-BALM

« Reply #3379 on: July 26, 2023, 11:27:14 AM »
nothing will make it okay. You're fucked!

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #3380 on: July 31, 2023, 02:27:15 PM »
You guys know things about stuff. Is it worth trying to comfort-ize (comfort bars and widest rubber I can run) my Bridgestone RB2 or should I just move it along and find an early steel mtb?  Looking for an in town/commuter type thing. Guessing mtb might be the way to go because of lugs and I don’t really groove on down tube shifters.

323-BALM

« Reply #3381 on: July 31, 2023, 04:22:52 PM »
You guys know things about stuff. Is it worth trying to comfort-ize (comfort bars and widest rubber I can run) my Bridgestone RB2 or should I just move it along and find an early steel mtb?  Looking for an in town/commuter type thing. Guessing mtb might be the way to go because of lugs and I don’t really groove on down tube shifters.

I've become the guy who says it's almost never worth it to modernize / customize a bike too much. Flip and grip something new within 48 hours and be riding this weekend.

Sometimes it's just time for a change, though, too. If you're over downtube shifters (I definitely am), that's reason enough to get something else.

So yeah: don't waste your time. Run what you brung, and bring something else if you're sick of running said brungwhat...

Trail report: last week saw a half inch of rain so there was still a handful of puddles up top. Perfect, drying out, dusty at the bottom. Campsite was firing, swam in cold river and drank cold beers. Good couple days out.

323-BALM

« Reply #3382 on: July 31, 2023, 04:24:54 PM »
old friend riding through fireweed

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #3383 on: July 31, 2023, 07:34:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've become the guy who says it's almost never worth it to modernize / customize a bike too much. Flip and grip something new within 48 hours and be riding this weekend.

Sometimes it's just time for a change, though, too. If you're over downtube shifters (I definitely am), that's reason enough to get something else.

So yeah: don't waste your time. Run what you brung, and bring something else if you're sick of running said brungwhat...

Trail report: last week saw a half inch of rain so there was still a handful of puddles up top. Perfect, drying out, dusty at the bottom. Campsite was firing, swam in cold river and drank cold beers. Good couple days out.

Spot on. I realized this as I thought about it after I posted. Got my eye on a bianchi nyala on CL I think I might check out mañana. It’s a few weeks before I move into the place where I’ll be able to fully utilize it anyway.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3384 on: August 24, 2023, 01:34:39 PM »
Went bikepacking solo for the first time. Lots to learn from, but I'd say I went prepared with enough supplies.

Cancelled my intended route due to difficulty and physical safety (heat exhaustion sucks) but still made the trip work. Definitely would go again but on a much easier route.

bartlaser

• Rep: 16
« Reply #3385 on: August 24, 2023, 02:34:26 PM »
Went bikepacking solo for the first time. Lots to learn from, but I'd say I went prepared with enough supplies.

Cancelled my intended route due to difficulty and physical safety (heat exhaustion sucks) but still made the trip work. Definitely would go again but on a much easier route.

Strong opening shot with the kickstand.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3386 on: August 24, 2023, 02:46:00 PM »
Where is that spot? I’m always up in the mountains - need to do something coastal like that.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • HANNIBAL!!
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3387 on: August 26, 2023, 06:06:33 AM »
Stepped into the e-bike world after doing road bikes. It's pretty fun and will replace my car

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-vado-sl-4-0-eq/p/216533?color=348487-216533&searchText=93922-5303

breezer

• Rep: -16
« Reply #3388 on: August 27, 2023, 09:19:20 AM »
Fun neighbourhood runaround

breezer

• Rep: -16
« Reply #3389 on: August 27, 2023, 09:26:00 AM »
and my other steed....Stooge Scrambler ATV....first time running tubeless, so far so good