Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 547449 times)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #540 on: December 13, 2019, 01:31:41 PM »
im imagining death by fishtail credit card
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #541 on: December 13, 2019, 01:50:27 PM »
Glad this thread got bumped by not for that

authentic_creed_bratton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
« Reply #542 on: December 13, 2019, 03:40:58 PM »
i just got a winkowski today, its probably gonna be hanging on the wall until spring. the concave looks rad as hell though
🤙

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #543 on: December 15, 2019, 06:50:36 AM »
forgot to throw this in here

workshop 9 inch
169 stage 11 standards with stock bushings
56mm 99a f4 classics (probably 54's now)
jessup

held it up to a 9 inch eagle that i had and its the same dims. this nose is just a typical workshop nose, the eagle seemed to have a slightly more symmetrical nose and tail.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #544 on: December 15, 2019, 06:59:17 AM »

workshop 9 inch
jessup

held it up to a 9 inch eagle that i had and its the same dims. this nose is just a typical workshop nose, the eagle seemed to have a slightly more symmetrical nose and tail.
fat nose looks good. How do you like the 169s - how tight do you ride em and w no risers?

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #545 on: December 15, 2019, 10:14:21 AM »
Has anyone here skated a scram 90s? Looks like a nice shape, but haven’t seen one life.

PMA

animalflesh

« Reply #546 on: December 15, 2019, 12:37:06 PM »
I did, it fits on ace 66 perfect and the shape is funcional

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #547 on: December 15, 2019, 01:00:59 PM »
I did, it fits on ace 66 perfect and the shape is funcional

Sweet, thanks!

PMA

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #548 on: December 15, 2019, 02:32:57 PM »
this thread is what i needed to put me over the edge...i've been toying with the idea of accepting my age and size and getting a big boy to have fun on.

what do you guys think of some of the Powell Peralta re-issues...specifically this Nicky Guerrero one

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #549 on: December 15, 2019, 08:18:31 PM »
this thread is what i needed to put me over the edge...i've been toying with the idea of accepting my age and size and getting a big boy to have fun on.

what do you guys think of some of the Powell Peralta re-issues...specifically this Nicky Guerrero one

age and board size dont have a correlation round these parts. im 21 and only been rock with 9+ for a while.

i like the reissue boards but i dont like paying over $60 for a single deck
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

sammyz

« Reply #550 on: December 15, 2019, 08:41:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

age and board size dont have a correlation round these parts. im 21 and only been rock with 9+ for a while.

i like the reissue boards but i don't like paying over $60 for a single deck

Good point regarding price. I do have a SC Remillard 8.88 hanging on the wall, might skate that for a while till i get a 9+

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #551 on: December 15, 2019, 08:56:10 PM »

That thing will be hokey.  To much nose kick and concave and kicktail.  That shape is from no era at all just a weird compromise and nothing like the orignal.   If your getting reissues the only ones that are not all concavy and kicky are the Visions (dont tell anyone here if you purchase the 'gator'!) without the 'modern concave'.  Every model comes in 2 versions, 'modern concave' and 'og'.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

sammyz

« Reply #552 on: December 15, 2019, 09:39:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That thing will be hokey.  To much nose kick and concave and kicktail.  That shape is from no era at all just a weird compromise and nothing like the orignal.   If your getting reissues the only ones that are not all concavy and kicky are the Visions (dont tell anyone here if you purchase the 'gator'!) without the 'modern concave'.  Every model comes in 2 versions, 'modern concave' and 'og'.

thanks for the info man...i actually had a Gator back in 80's...before he went all fucked up!

I'm not specifically keen on re-issues...one of the things i don't like about a lot of the new big boards is that the nose is usually bigger than the tail, so gotta find one that doesn't have that. I've seen a few, top of the list is the 9.25 Lucero OG bars deck

shingles

• Rep: -61
« Reply #553 on: December 16, 2019, 06:17:59 AM »
Since I am a tall and lanky fuck I rely on a bigger board.

When I was young I rode 8.25s (before that I just took the board that looked the best, had no clue about sizes),
but then quickly upgraded to an 8.5.

About a year later I discovered that there were bigger trucks and I copped some 169 and an 8.6 Creature.
I didn't stick too long with 8.6, since it's a weird size so I went up to an 8.8 and then shortly after that I went up to a 9.

I used to ride lots of creature Boards. They're big boards are usually quite long but I didn't really like the wood. It's very stiff and I broke countless boards on frontside disasters and then I got sponsored by a local company.

The problem with the boards I got from the company was, that they pressed 9Inchers on normal wheelbases / lengths. They were like 9.0x31.5 and a 14.5 Wheelbase or even shorter...

That was also the time when I discovered Ace Trucks and my wheelbase got even shorter. I started having problems with feebles and smithgrinds and started looking for other shapes.

So I started riding Anti Hero Boards, they usually have pretty legit lengths / wheelbases on their boards:

WIDTH (IN):   9.56,LENGTH (IN):   33.0, WHEELBASE (IN):   15.25

width: 9.1",length: 33", wheelbase: 15"

Then I went over to the polar 9.75 Dane Brady Board, but this thing is to short, eventhough the shape is so nice:

9.75", Length: 31.375", Wheelbase: 14.125"

So I then dabbled around with the Santa Cruz Boards, but the Tom Knox Punk Reissue I have just has very weird concave on it. It seems like the board is flat in the middle and then tapers...

Then went over to Welcome Boards:

Never really liked welcome but the boards were very good and lasted a long time...

But then I found the perfect shape for me.
It's a Death 9.75 Dave Allen Board, perfect length, perfect wheelbase and very good wood:

Width: 9.75 Length: 32.25 Wheelbase: 14.75

I also ordered some Fixer Boards from Unheard and I am very excited for them:

32.25x9.75" WB 14.75"
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 06:31:21 AM by shingles »
support your local ramp-tramp

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #554 on: December 16, 2019, 10:08:26 AM »

When I was young I rode 8.25s (before that I just took the board that looked the best, had no clue about sizes),

About a year later I discovered that there were bigger trucks and I copped some 169 and an 8.6 Creature.
I didn't stick too long with 8.6, since it's a weird size so I went up to an 8.8 and then shortly after that I went up to a 9.

I used to ride lots of creature Boards. They're big boards are usually quite long but I didn't really like the wood. It's very stiff and I broke countless boards on frontside disasters and then I got sponsored by a local company.

The problem with the boards I got from the company was, that they pressed 9Inchers on normal wheelbases / lengths. They were like 9.0x31.5 and a 14.5 Wheelbase or even shorter...

That was also the time when I discovered Ace Trucks and my wheelbase got even shorter. I started having problems with feebles and smithgrinds and started looking for other shapes.

So I started riding Anti Hero Boards, they usually have pretty legit lengths / wheelbases on their boards:

Then I went over to the polar 9.75 Dane Brady Board, but this thing is to short, eventhough the shape is so nice:

So I then dabbled around with the Santa Cruz Boards, but the Tom Knox Punk Reissue I have just has very weird concave on it. It seems like the board is flat in the middle and then tapers...

Never really liked welcome but the boards were very good and lasted a long time...

It's a Death 9.75 Dave Allen Board, perfect length, perfect wheelbase and very good wood:

32.25x9.75" WB 14.75"
Thats sick like those Fixer boards alot. Post update once its set up. I've looked at most of the board you've mentioned. Are you mostly skating mostly transition with the pig tank

shingles

« Reply #555 on: December 16, 2019, 11:19:22 AM »
Expand Quote

32.25x9.75" WB 14.75"
[close]
Thats sick like those Fixer boards alot. Post update once its set up. I've looked at most of the board you've mentioned. Are you mostly skating mostly transition with the pig tank

I mainly skate transition yes. Miniramps, Bowls and an occasional Vertramp...
The big boards work well on street too, the only thing I cant do with them is flipping my board... But that might also be cause of my loose trucks...

I just set up the fixer board but I could only skate flat with it, but the thing is amazing. Very good weight distribution on that shape and it just does what you want it to do.

I'll go and skate a miniramp tomorrow with that thing and I'll post an update on that session

hangontoyourego

« Reply #556 on: December 16, 2019, 02:33:46 PM »

workshop 9 inch
jessup

This looks rad , I want to step it up but I don’t know if I can hang with the 15” wb. I had a dlx full that had a longer wb and I hated it but maybe now I could hang .

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #557 on: December 16, 2019, 02:47:23 PM »
Expand Quote

workshop 9 inch
jessup

[close]
fat nose looks good. How do you like the 169s - how tight do you ride em and w no risers?

rode 169s for about 3 years then tried to step down to an 875 with 159s and couldn't do it. had to go back to the wider dudes. and im used to wheel bite, rode 60's and 58's with no risers for a while haha. 56's are still gonna give you wheel bite but you get used to it. and I ride fairly loose, after a while stock indy bushings get perfect for me, and I just go with it. don't think i adjusted the kingpin nut since I bought them.

shingles

« Reply #558 on: December 17, 2019, 05:13:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

32.25x9.75" WB 14.75"
[close]
[close]

The big boards work well on street too, the only thing I cant do with them is flipping my board... But that might also be cause of my loose trucks...

I just set up the fixer board but I could only skate flat with it, but the thing is amazing. Very good weight distribution on that shape and it just does what you want it to do.

I'll go and skate a miniramp tomorrow with that thing and I'll post an update on that session

Just had a session in a park on that Fixer board and its amazing... The board just glues to your feet and the shape is super responsive... I hope it holds up well, cause I am really enjoying that board.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #559 on: December 17, 2019, 06:27:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
32.25x9.75" WB 14.75"
[close]
[close]

[close]

Just had a session in a park on that Fixer board and its amazing... The board just glues to your feet and the shape is super responsive... I hope it holds up well, cause I am really enjoying that board.
riding with ace 55?

shingles

« Reply #560 on: December 17, 2019, 06:34:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
32.25x9.75" WB 14.75"
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
riding with ace 55?

No, 66s... I guess 55s would be slightly to small for this big boy of a board.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #561 on: December 17, 2019, 09:28:13 PM »
basically a longboard but still want. only 150 made. any links on this?

Dims
11.0 x 36.8
19.4 wb :o

if you have one you are automatically subject to my jealousy

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1343
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #562 on: December 17, 2019, 09:39:33 PM »
^If you want one of those, hit up the local that sells Krooked and work something out. Those'll be hard to find. They made 300 of those Evil Beemer shapes and they were gone pretty fast. I dunno about that shape or how dude skates such a long ass wheelbase but good luck in your journey.

I kinda sweating that Drehobl shaped deck though.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #563 on: December 17, 2019, 10:24:53 PM »
^If you want one of those, hit up the local that sells Krooked and work something out. Those'll be hard to find. They made 300 of those Evil Beemer shapes and they were gone pretty fast. I dunno about that shape or how dude skates such a long ass wheelbase but good luck in your journey.

I kinda sweating that Drehobl shaped deck though.

yeah they all seem to be priced as art pieces so ill have to wait and hope for a reissue.

that new drehobl is one of the better looking graphics in recent memory id snag one if i was in the market for a new shaped deck

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #564 on: December 18, 2019, 03:43:47 AM »
Drehobl shape is good! I have it on my cruiser and really like it. I’ve probably posted about it before in this thread too.

oligold5

• Rep: 0
« Reply #565 on: December 18, 2019, 11:44:41 AM »
Anybody has an idea on what size trucks to use for the Primitive Villani deck? (9.125) Thinking about 151 Thunders.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #566 on: December 18, 2019, 02:28:33 PM »
Anybody has an idea on what size trucks to use for the Primitive Villani deck? (9.125) Thinking about 151 Thunders.

If its anything like the Cardiel/ CK1 shaped eggs, 151s/159s. Looks like it might have more taper but should still be good. I bet you could go 149 also. I wouldn't recommend Frankentruckin on egg shapes.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #567 on: December 18, 2019, 04:03:52 PM »
i had my 9.125 cardiel set up with 169s

if you already have an 8.75” truck, you can use it fine but if you’re buying trucks, just go for the 161/169 and you’ll be able to use them on bigger boards for future setups too.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #568 on: December 18, 2019, 04:41:58 PM »
basically a longboard but still want. only 150 made. any links on this?

Dims
11.0 x 36.8
19.4 wb :o

if you have one you are automatically subject to my jealousy

This limited release stuff is wack.  To make a prouduct (for once) that has some actual personality but not really make them just tease and be lame about it.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #569 on: December 18, 2019, 11:22:16 PM »
who are some pros that ride big boards? footy looks so good on them ;D
off the top of my head im thinking winkowski, franky villani, nick boserio, dane brady, and GT. anyone im missing?
gonna be making a compilation vid