Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 547690 times)

chat noir

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #2640 on: December 18, 2020, 01:03:40 PM »
Winter 20 Polar decks are up on the Polar website. I had been refreshing for over a week now. Lucky to have a shop nearby who got the Dane 1 bistro in, so picked one up. Excited to set it up this weekend.

https://usa.polarskateco.com/collections/hardgoods

foureyedjim

« Reply #2641 on: December 18, 2020, 02:18:11 PM »
Scram 10” with 215s and 58 mm OG classics
Shit feels great

TumKayo

« Reply #2642 on: December 18, 2020, 05:50:15 PM »
Damn that looks great too

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #2643 on: December 18, 2020, 07:08:55 PM »
Lovely set up. 58s with no risers is a power play for sure.

foureyedjim

« Reply #2644 on: December 18, 2020, 07:14:16 PM »
Lovely set up. 58s with no risers is a power play for sure.
For now I tightened up the trucks because the thought of wheelbiting in big transition scared me.  May consider risers once the bushings break in hah

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2645 on: December 18, 2020, 07:14:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Is that like the Razortop construction from Heroin?

Razortop definitely helps with board feel/control in most situations. But as mentioned it chips up a lot easier. I would totally buy one again, if the shape is right, but I prefer a rounded edge.
[close]

Yes that is the one.  A few different companies have done it and all called it different names, but it is just the rounded underside as normal but not rounded at all on the top edge.

Thanks for the feedback guys. If the edge doesn't work out I can just sand it down.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1500
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2646 on: December 18, 2020, 07:57:48 PM »
I had a H-Street Ron Allen OG no comply graphic with that "razortop" style. It's not a new concept by any means.

Torre

• Rep: -30
« Reply #2647 on: December 19, 2020, 09:15:07 AM »
I skate a 9.0” in popsicle shape only (no shaped boards). I am 6’ 2” and have a size 13 shoe so the wider board really helps. But one thing I have noticed is that I can only skate trucks that create a short wheelbase (indys). I recently tried ventures and hated them, it cause me to ghost pop all of my tricks. I’ve come to believe that when you skate a wide board and you skate street, longer wheelbased trucks don’t work well at all. I have been thinking of trying other short wheelbase trucks like Ace but haven’t had the courage to pull the trigger
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 05:30:59 PM by Torre »

TumKayo

« Reply #2648 on: December 19, 2020, 09:50:46 AM »
It also would depend on the wheelbase of the deck, and the steepness of the kicks.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2649 on: December 19, 2020, 08:21:20 PM »
condensed xpost from the setup thread
after a meh time with the 1992, i decided to pass on the 1991. figured it was time to try the last huge polar shape that caught my interest.....

polar dane 1 9.75/31.375/14.125wb
venture 6.1 w/flat washers+ace bottoms+bones tops
f4 radial slim 52mm->49mm 99a
bones reds
indy 1" allen until more bronze hits the local
mob grip with shop stickers in the stripe
adidas tyshawns

shortest deck ive ever owned but i took my adderall today, popped some ollies, and feel confident i can skate it! fat and long (32"ish) doesnt feel as good as fat and short imo. wheelbase is a bit shorter than my preferred 14.25, but the gold shop stickers going down the surf stripe show me my landing area to avoid breaks.

giving venture 6.1s a fair chance with the conclusion that i prefer heavier trucks (venture only atm). running them with the same bushing setup i have in my 5.6s and they feel like home, but surfier/more fun.

the spitfires will have to do until the og classics come out in 52mm/101a. had the temptation to get a bigger wheel but im liking the pop feel and agility with wheels closer to 50mm. cant barrel over the crust as well as the 55/56mm i briefly considered, but i can ride as loose as my main setup that has a similar wheelbite point. just gonna have to go faster over crust which is easier on a huge board.

first time in a long time that im this hyped on a 9+ setup. my list of shoes/gear to try has been whittled down to 3 from over 50ish things ive eyed this year (generous lowball) trying different dims while finding things to keep constant like WB(+/-.125) and truck brand made it easy to sift through what will and wont work. especially easy for big boy setups since only a few companies have a 14.25ish wb shape that is in the permanent lineup, LOOKING AT YOU HEROIN! >:(

in the middle of my first garage session with this beauty and i could see it making my shortlist of favorite decks of all time, but no pressure. taking it to a metal covered curb later tonight and to the flat bar monday to see how everything goes. wish her luck!
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #2650 on: December 19, 2020, 08:40:10 PM »
^^^^^^running the following on my Dane 1

55mm 99a f4 classic shape
169 Indy
1/8 riser

I had 52mm 99a f4 radial shape but it made the turn too sharp.

Haven’t skated in a month but before the cold weather I was only skating the Dane 1, but I’m old and the only flip trick I do is a kickflip, which is not too hard.

The Dane 1 is a perfect shape for my 1990 style of skateboarding.

chat noir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2651 on: December 19, 2020, 10:00:42 PM »
^^^
Ha!

Just set up a Dane 1 tonight

54mm F4's
169 Indys
Reds

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2652 on: December 20, 2020, 06:08:04 AM »
Nice @off interested to hear you like it after spending some time with it. I think that surf stripe would mess with me but I dunno never tried it actually. Set up looks great.

Pics @GardenSkater77 @chat noir ?? I’ve tried 169 and 6.1 on my Dane 1 but always seemed to fall into my second set up.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #2653 on: December 20, 2020, 06:51:27 AM »
I skate a 9.0” in popsicle shape only (no shaped boards). I am 6’ 2” and have a size 13 shoe so the wider board really helps. But one thing I have noticed is that I can only skate trucks that create a short wheelbase (indys). I recently tried ventures and hated them, it cause me to ghost pop all of my tricks. I’ve come to believe that when you skate a wide board and you skate street, longer wheelbased trucks don’t work well at all. I have been thinking of trying other short wheelbase trucks like Ace but haven’t had the courage to pull the trigger
It also would depend on the wheelbase of the deck, and the steepness of the kicks.

Sometimes when a board will feel weird in the tail area, especially to the point where I just didn't want to skate it, drilling it in a bit at the tail end really helped with everything, so slightly shorter wheelbase and longer tail, but the "fingers of flat" increase and made it much easier to do things on.

That was a last resort for me on that particular board, otherwise I would have passed it on to someone else, but with the indy 6 hole baseplate, I just turned it around, drilled through the end holes, then turned it back around and tried it and it worked.  Using the existing extra baseplate holes ensured I got the right position and fit without having to measure it.

You could even put the two end deck bolts closest the tail through the last two holes just to try it and see first, just don't go too hard on it but feel it out.  You might be surprised how light the board feels that way.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2654 on: December 20, 2020, 08:20:20 AM »
Nice @off interested to hear you like it after spending some time with it. I think that surf stripe would mess with me but I dunno never tried it actually. Set up looks great.

Pics @GardenSkater77 @chat noir ?? I’ve tried 169 and 6.1 on my Dane 1 but always seemed to fall into my second set up.

My original post is on page 72. I began with cruiser wheels but decided I wanted to get more aggro. The short wheelbase on Indy 169 allows for some nice side to side action. I have only skated Indy’s over the last 15 years but I feel like the 169 is the perfect blend of balance and turn for this deck.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2655 on: December 20, 2020, 09:21:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My original post is on page 72. I began with cruiser wheels but decided I wanted to get more aggro. The short wheelbase on Indy 169 allows for some nice side to side action. I have only skated Indy’s over the last 15 years but I feel like the 169 is the perfect blend of balance and turn for this deck.
yup saw that. Love the wheel wells wish mine had. What did you mean tippy? With the standard 169 height of 55mm? Had 169 standards w 54mm Keyframes that was a good cruising combo. Have indy ti to try now so lower snappier might be good too.

TumKayo

« Reply #2656 on: December 20, 2020, 10:38:17 AM »
If that Klez Hong Kong 1991 had wheel wells, I’d be all over it.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2657 on: December 20, 2020, 11:16:57 AM »
hyped to see a lot of pals are running dane1s, gonna spend some quality time with it. 8.75 axles are as big as ill go atm, but im liking them for flips on this shape.

i need a surf stripe on every deck, it just clicks for me to put it simply. the last deck i skated without one was a horrible experience, never really felt like "my skateboard" and thats my unspoken priority.

will be back periodically with thoughts on the dane once i can get back in the streets. fuck snow
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2658 on: December 20, 2020, 12:30:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
yup saw that. Love the wheel wells wish mine had. What did you mean tippy? With the standard 169 height of 55mm? Had 169 standards w 54mm Keyframes that was a good cruising combo. Have indy ti to try now so lower snappier might be good too.

I normally skate Indy trucks as suppled in terms of bushing tightness. Going from a 8.38 with 149s to the Dane 1 with 169s was crazy at first. I had to tighten 1/2 a turn and threw on Indy conical bottom washers on the top so the bushing wouldn’t get cut up. Without tightening the trucks, the short wheelbase and wider trucks was giving me crazy wheel bite and the smaller wheels I tried (52mm) seemed to make the tip go faster to the wheel.

I think the board requires 54-60 mm wheels and medium tightness to work for Indys. Would love a 56mm/97a (Speed Lab has one) but 55 mm/99a is great for powerslides. This deck is the best for powerslides.

kimura

• Rep: 15
« Reply #2659 on: December 20, 2020, 03:50:07 PM »
Finally got a chance to ride my gonz.
Thunder 161
Bones hard bushings.
FF OG Classics 55mm 99d
Mob

This board is straight up fun. Feels great under my feet. Might be my new favorite. At least this week.  :) 

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2660 on: December 20, 2020, 04:44:30 PM »
Thunder 161
Bones hard bushings.
FF OG Classics 55mm 99d
Mob

This board is straight up fun. Feels great under my feet. Might be my new favorite. At least this week.  :) 

Dang, nice set up. I thought about grabbing one of those but held off. Making me second guess myself haha

Also, is your username a Brazilian jiu-jitsu reference?

kimura

« Reply #2661 on: December 20, 2020, 04:50:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Thunder 161
Bones hard bushings.
FF OG Classics 55mm 99d
Mob

[close]

Dang, nice set up. I thought about grabbing one of those but held off. Making me second guess myself haha

kimura is indeed my favorite submission in BJJ.

I definitely recommend this board. So fun.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2662 on: December 20, 2020, 05:29:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thunder 161
Bones hard bushings.
FF OG Classics 55mm 99d
Mob

[close]

[close]

kimura is indeed my favorite submission in BJJ.

I definitely recommend this board. So fun.

Nice to see another Bjj person on here!

Yeah, it looks like a more filled out Dane1 which is one of my favorite shaped decks. The Atm click Donovan rice is similar too but kicks seem steeper
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 05:41:53 PM by Sundaynuggets »

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2663 on: December 20, 2020, 07:09:37 PM »
Nice whip @kimura welcome. Makes me reconsider when it’s a little damp out there. I get Ollie holes in those old skools like nothing in the canvas with big 9”+ set ups. And all these surf stripes has me considering

kimura

« Reply #2664 on: December 20, 2020, 07:21:38 PM »
Nice whip @kimura welcome. Makes me reconsider when it’s a little damp out there. I get Ollie holes in those old skools like nothing in the canvas with big 9”+ set ups. And all these surf stripes has me considering

Thanks. I love skating in vans and I’m not doing many ollies these days and even in my younger years I was never a big ollie guy. But man the feeling of a nice buttery grind never gets old.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2665 on: December 20, 2020, 07:29:33 PM »
How you liking the 161s? @kimura

kimura

« Reply #2666 on: December 20, 2020, 07:35:05 PM »
How you liking the 161s? @kimura

Well I only skated them for about 90 minutes today. So far I really like them. To be honest they don’t feel much different than Indy to me. I had to switch out the bushings to bones hard because my 220lbs just smashes stock bushings in 5 minutes. I gotta crank stock bushings down to be medium loose for me. That just blows them out. But they grind really well on the curbs at my Sunday session spot.

TumKayo

« Reply #2667 on: December 20, 2020, 08:52:15 PM »
Lol your top pic makes it look crazy tapered. Like 9.8 to 7.8. It's a fun board for sure.

I'm starting to really like my 10" Craig Questions deck. It has a short 14.125" wheelbase, which I normally don't click with.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2668 on: December 21, 2020, 12:49:59 PM »
9.25”

TumKayo

« Reply #2669 on: December 21, 2020, 01:04:41 PM »
9.25”

Nice blue dipped. What wood is that on?