Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 546661 times)

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #4470 on: February 24, 2022, 10:58:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Pretty wild axle slippage on both of my 159s. Anybody ever run 149s on a Dane 1 or similar? Seen it in the wild and and I'm gonna do it either way, but I'm curious to know if anyone here as does it before.
[close]

Damn! 159s have been my favorite larger truck (I also like 139s, the rest of indy…no). My USA made stage 11s didn’t slip, despite me setting them up on 8.25s and missing every 3flip I tried.
None of the above is even remotely relevant.
On shaped boards, I like to match the truck size to the deck width, in the rear of the board. I can’t remember what the Dane1 is back there (8.75 probably). 149s (5.8s) with extra washers would probably be my preference. Front will be real tucked, but extra leverage for the turning.
What was the average truck size in the 80s? I was young and didn’t know. I’m talking like bones brigade era boom.
[close]

Ive been wanting a dane1 but don't have any trucks bigger than 149 didn't think they would work

I have 149's sitting in front of me
have some f4 Radials and plenty of washers maybe this could work

The Dane 1 from the second hand lot I just tried out still felt like I needed wider trucks than the Venture 6.1 (159 / 8.75 size) that I just had on it, but for how wide the board is at the front half compared to the width at the back trucks, people might ride them and be happy.

I think 149s on it is a stretch though, as I would really feel very tippy, but that is just me.

Those other Blind reissues were 9" at the widest but tapered a lot so didn't feel bad on the smaller trucks on the one I had a skate of from someone else, but I think I would still have 159s on it, if that is any indication of my preference.

Edit:

I thought I would go get it and measure it, so the Dane 1 is 9.25 at the front axle and 8.75 on the back axle of these Ventures, which have normal wheels, so even the back sits under a bit still.

The funny thing is another board with the 8.5 size trucks and wider offset cruiser wheels actually sit out wider and would work better on it, when I sat that over the top of the Dane 1 complete, but if you were more used to not so wide trucks, you probably could run them on it with normal wheels and still be happy enough.

Having the short wheelbase I think was what was causing me more issues than the trucks, even though I put Ventures on it for that reason.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4471 on: February 25, 2022, 08:39:03 AM »
@Nth syd bear @ok  not too bad right?

149s with three washers behind each wheel, I am sure them being 58s helps. I don't think I'll get to skate it today but I'll try it tomorrow.

@jakeumms I'm glad I'm at least not alone. I initially though the issue was with the nylock on one of the nuts but it happened to both and has gotten worse. You're probably right about it being COVID-related QC issues. First time this has happened to me since the 90s.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 08:45:54 AM by Macho Taildrop »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #4472 on: February 25, 2022, 09:48:41 AM »

149s with three washers behind each wheel, I am sure them being 58s helps. I don't think I'll get to skate it today but I'll try it tomorrow.

@jakeumms I'm glad I'm at least not alone. I initially though the issue was with the nylock on one of the nuts but it happened to both and has gotten worse. You're probably right about it being COVID-related QC issues. First time this has happened to me since the 90s.

This is hot!
I’m a magic carpeter, especially by the standards of today, but even with that bias, I gotta say that those proportions (deck to truck ratio) look really ideal. I like how 159s turn, but I have to think you’ll be able to get more turn out of this setup, and definitely more flip. Looks dope.

I have espoused some protectionist/or buy local, depends on your perspective I suppose, views re: USA made goods. I prefer to buy stuff closer, mainly a jobs thing. Anyways, some of the rhetoric around the China Indy’s has been pretty uncomfortable, and inaccurate. The bushings seem to be as good as they ever have been. And indy has long had possibly the best qc out of all the truck companies. Best durability. Sucks to hear that they’ve had a rough patch.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #4473 on: February 25, 2022, 04:41:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is hot!
I’m a magic carpeter, especially by the standards of today, but even with that bias, I gotta say that those proportions (deck to truck ratio) look really ideal. I like how 159s turn, but I have to think you’ll be able to get more turn out of this setup, and definitely more flip. Looks dope.

I have espoused some protectionist/or buy local, depends on your perspective I suppose, views re: USA made goods. I prefer to buy stuff closer, mainly a jobs thing. Anyways, some of the rhetoric around the China Indy’s has been pretty uncomfortable, and inaccurate. The bushings seem to be as good as they ever have been. And indy has long had possibly the best qc out of all the truck companies. Best durability. Sucks to hear that they’ve had a rough patch.

Looks magical 

This is good and I see something similar in my future
Even if I didn't like it with normal wheels I reckon that would be perfect with super juice 55mm

In the meantime I'm going to put these 149s on a love seat ive been sitting on .. ..

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4474 on: February 25, 2022, 06:06:43 PM »

Looks magical 

This is good and I see something similar in my future
Even if I didn't like it with normal wheels I reckon that would be perfect with super juice 55mm

In the meantime I'm going to put these 149s on a love seat ive been sitting on .. ..

I think you would enjoy it.

If it wasn't for distance and shipping costs, I would say this one would be a good one for you to test / swap that I have, as I am not going to skate it, but I am sure someone else locally will appreciate it, as well as giving you the joy of finding, buying and setting up a new one.

Polar Dane 1 deck
9.75 x 31.375 with 14.125 wheelbase
9.25 over front axle
8.75 over back axle
Venture 6.1 trucks
Spitfire 58 mm wheels
Conical Full 99 duro
Bones Swiss bearings
Shortys Silverado bolts

Tried it with a number of wheels and was going to try risers and soft wheels too, but it has been raining non stop the last couple of days.

Fun overall but I need a longer wheelbase.

I also think I would prefer wider trucks on it too, but that is just me.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 06:15:45 PM by Woodshop »

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
« Reply #4475 on: February 26, 2022, 06:22:30 PM »
Crosspost from the set up thread.

Krooked Eyes 9.3” with a 15” wb
Film 6.0/155mm
Spitfire f4, 54mm conical full 97a
Bones big balls
Jessup
7/8” Allen
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4476 on: February 26, 2022, 10:14:02 PM »
Expand Quote

Film 6.0/155mm
Bones big balls
Jessup
7/8” Allen
[close]

I hadn't seen any in person, but since you have had the Huffer, how does this one compare?

Looks like a bit more all over, as in a touch bigger, longer, etc but still fits the same trucks, so would be a good one for people if they wanted a slightly bigger Huffer board.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4477 on: February 27, 2022, 01:01:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Film 6.0/155mm
Bones big balls
Jessup
7/8” Allen
[close]
[close]

I hadn't seen any in person, but since you have had the Huffer, how does this one compare?

Looks like a bit more all over, as in a touch bigger, longer, etc but still fits the same trucks, so would be a good one for people if they wanted a slightly bigger Huffer board.

Easily on par with the huffer as being my favorite shape of all time. Little bit longer wheel base, and a little bit longer and wider overall, 9.3” with a 15” wb and 33” long is really fucking comfortable. I can’t wait for a good transition session on this set up. I’m going to start hoarding these because I really don’t want to run out or they stop selling these.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #4478 on: February 27, 2022, 04:51:27 PM »
fuck id kill for a longer dane shape
my legs are too lanky for that shit to be comfortable
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4479 on: February 27, 2022, 05:15:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Film 6.0/155mm
Bones big balls
Jessup
7/8” Allen
[close]
[close]

[close]

Easily on par with the huffer as being my favorite shape of all time. Little bit longer wheel base, and a little bit longer and wider overall, 9.3” with a 15” wb and 33” long is really fucking comfortable. I can’t wait for a good transition session on this set up. I’m going to start hoarding these because I really don’t want to run out or they stop selling these.

At least I think they are in the next drop or so as well - maybe the Mermaid graphic as well - so as people ride bigger boards, hopefully this shape will stay.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4480 on: February 27, 2022, 08:53:00 PM »
Sweatpants is pretty similar but with a 14.38wb and has been consistently available for the past couple of years. I would say look at the 1991 too but I'm not sure if those are meant to stay in the lineup or not?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #4481 on: February 28, 2022, 12:44:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Sweatpants is pretty similar but with a 14.38wb and has been consistently available for the past couple of years. I would say look at the 1991 too but I'm not sure if those are meant to stay in the lineup or not?

I skated a couple Dane 1s and a sweatpants over the past few months.  As fun as the Dane 1 is, if I had to give an honest answer I think I skated a little better on the sweatpants.  I would highly recommend that shape if you’re looking for a longer Dane.  I’m not usually a fan of wheelbases bigger than 14.25” but for some reason the sweatpants was still very manageable with my pop timing for tricks.  Going to keep both shapes in rotation for the foreseeable future.   

disclosed

• Rep: 183
« Reply #4482 on: March 02, 2022, 03:47:08 AM »
finally set up this Blast Tutti Fruity deck i had laying around for a year now. i never set it up cause when i got it i didnt actually like the shape much (the horror of online ordering). very pointy nose, pretty round tail, looking much skinnier than a 10" cause the way it tapers.

it still is a shape i'm not stoked on when i look down. but so far it skates really well. highest pop i've had since the Blast Snelling deck. wile the McRobbie deck really didnt work out for me despite being stoked on that shape.
still got another Snelling and 2 Gnarzone's laying around for now. wonder what Blast will do now that Gnosis MFG is shutting down. but atleast im stocked up for a while.

also first time trying one Rail. cant quite give an opinion on it yet. but have no issues at all, might keep this up.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4483 on: March 06, 2022, 04:28:09 PM »
Cross posting:

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4484 on: March 06, 2022, 06:18:09 PM »
Cross posting:

It really does have a crispy clean 90s look to it, which I like.

Maybe more so as I have been looking over some old catalogs recently too, so that would stand out more, with that in mind.

How long did the Krooked Chico board last?  Was that the second or third time you reset that up, or am I getting confused and thinking of someone else?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4485 on: March 06, 2022, 06:23:14 PM »
Chico board lasted me a year, which is the longest a board has lasted me in a long time. Having said that, I always have two setups in my quiver …

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4486 on: March 06, 2022, 06:35:27 PM »
Chico board lasted me a year, which is the longest a board has lasted me in a long time. Having said that, I always have two setups in my quiver …

Definitely worth it then!

Yes I always like having a couple of different boards on the go.

Makes things a bit more fun.

CullTheKarens

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4487 on: March 07, 2022, 11:42:26 AM »
Got back into skating for a short bit 4-5 years ago, started with some 8.5" creature deck.. too narrow for my size 14 feet. Realized repops were a thing and built this:

Witchdoctor, gullwing pro3's, ratbones, reds, mouse piss on the grip. Wish I could of had such a wide deck when I was a teenager and still had potential lol.

Sorry if the pictures are huge/small.. wierd forum setup here. Used to vbulliten.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #4488 on: March 07, 2022, 02:02:32 PM »
@MysticalTypeExperience  @Argyle @jsettle I know this is almost a month later but thanks for the congrats fellow dads. Still trying hard to find time to skate especially since my job is based on Central European Time when I live in New Jersey so I just don't sleep really at all but I'm always home with her and if she naps I'm able to get out back and skate a little if my wife doesn't need me to do anything and I'm not working. Just getting in that routine and figuring it out, but it's been fun. I know this has nothing to do with any set ups or anything, but I just wanted to say thanks.

animalflesh

« Reply #4489 on: March 07, 2022, 05:39:04 PM »
Better not have put that piss grip on the kitchen counter you maniac

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #4490 on: March 07, 2022, 05:57:47 PM »

You’re fvcking dreamin’ if you don’t think mice and/or rats and quite probably voles aren’t dragging their piss-dribbling little dongs all over your counters and grip every night.

CullTheKarens

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4491 on: March 08, 2022, 10:55:31 AM »

Haha the picture of the art was taken when I was assembling the board years back, the piss happened sometime during the boards unfortunate stay in storage.

Can't wait to get back on the thing. My sciatica already hurts thinking about it but whatever.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 406
« Reply #4492 on: March 14, 2022, 02:00:33 PM »
Cross posting:

been skating that girl bannerot board/shape for 4-5 months now and I fucking love it.

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #4493 on: March 14, 2022, 02:23:18 PM »
Ive ordered the the 60mm super juices for my cruiser. What truck size u guys recommend to psir em with for a deck that 8.5/8.75 at the back?

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #4494 on: March 14, 2022, 02:39:12 PM »
Ive ordered the the 60mm super juices for my cruiser. What truck size u guys recommend to psir em with for a deck that 8.5/8.75 at the back?

You could get away with anything from an 8" to an 8.5", those wheels are very wide. Im skating a shin surf with those wheels and 139s and they're flush in the back, almost over (board is just about 8.5" over) Something like a 149 might be better if it's closer to 8.75".

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4495 on: March 15, 2022, 07:06:41 AM »
Figured I cross post from the egg shaped board thread some of my under the bed stash. All of which are still intact, minus the heroin 9.75 symmetrical egg, which I snapped last night.

If I’m down realllly bad, I’ll skate a 9” popsicle. But as it stands I horde and stockpile shit to hopefully never run into that position again. As it stands now, I have one 9” popsicle in the stash, and the odds of me actually skating it are slim to none because I consistently am buying decks. By choice, I will never skate a popsicle if a shaped board is available.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4496 on: March 15, 2022, 07:23:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Cross posting:

[close]

been skating that girl bannerot board/shape for 4-5 months now and I fucking love it.
yeah, it’s a super easy transition coming from the Chico too, had my first swag on Sunday; wood feels crisp and the fuller nose means you can really sit on your slappy nose slides (I.e. 90% of my tricks)

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #4497 on: March 15, 2022, 08:15:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You could get away with anything from an 8" to an 8.5", those wheels are very wide. Im skating a shin surf with those wheels and 139s and they're flush in the back, almost over (board is just about 8.5" over) Something like a 149 might be better if it's closer to 8.75".

Nice man, thanks. Had to measure my 1991 and it was 8.5 too. Gonna look for something similar, 8.5 wouldnt be too hot roddy right?

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #4498 on: March 15, 2022, 09:26:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Nice man, thanks. Had to measure my 1991 and it was 8.5 too. Gonna look for something similar, 8.5 wouldnt be too hot roddy right?

1991 standard, no. 1991 Jr. might be a little bit of a hot rod with those wheels and 8.5 trucks. You can also flip the super juices and they won't stick out as far but the will cover a bit of the hangar.

Ziaon

• Rep: 1
« Reply #4499 on: March 15, 2022, 09:37:46 AM »
I'm 6'1 and around 210. Just downsized to the new Powell Anderson 9.13 and really liking it.