Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 546937 times)

lysdexia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #1410 on: May 28, 2020, 04:07:38 PM »
yep that is super nice!

the shape is fun as fuck, tre flips on it are magical

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #1411 on: May 28, 2020, 06:49:09 PM »
Thanks, GBLange and lysdexia!
In so excited to take this out and get to tre flipping on it! That's my favorite trick, too!
Gotta break the trucks in, too so it will be fun getting to know this setup
Super Champion Fun Zone

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #1412 on: May 28, 2020, 07:47:34 PM »
One of the best things about skating an 9"+ board is, how easy flip tricks are when you go back to a "regular" board.

I went down from an 9.8" Gonz to an 8.5" popsicle this week. Flip tricks feel amazing. Def feels a little strange on Slappies and transition though. All in all, mixing it up is good. I might rotate from now on... Different boards seem to bring out different things in my skateboarding. It is a journey I'm digging.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #1413 on: May 28, 2020, 10:58:00 PM »
One of the best things about skating an 9"+ board is, how easy flip tricks are when you go back to a "regular" board.

I went down from an 9.8" Gonz to an 8.5" popsicle this week. Flip tricks feel amazing. Def feels a little strange on Slappies and transition though. All in all, mixing it up is good. I might rotate from now on... Different boards seem to bring out different things in my skateboarding. It is a journey I'm digging.

Yeah I notice this...i keep going back and forth...but i have to say my latest 9+ deck is best of both worlds. I had a bit of buyers remorse with the Grimple Stix deck, but after a few sessions, i think the shortness of length and wheelbase really helps my street skating - flips, pop, everything.

although i went back to skatepark last night after about 3 months, and skating the 4 foot ramp was really hard on short wheelbase.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1414 on: May 29, 2020, 05:06:00 AM »

I’m usually conflicted on putting softer wheels on my 9”+ set ups or not. I want a do-it-all set up with big conical fulls but even the crust around me might say something about that.

You guys break your 9”+ boards with the same consistency as a standard popsicle?

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1415 on: May 29, 2020, 05:33:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I’m usually conflicted on putting softer wheels on my 9”+ set ups or not. I want a do-it-all set up with big conical fulls but even the crust around me might say something about that.

You guys break your 9”+ boards with the same consistency as a standard popsicle?
I cant imagine snapping my 9.5 "old school" board but I can see it being possible to snap the 9" Girl deck I have now. Very unlikely but possible.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1416 on: May 29, 2020, 06:11:13 AM »
been eyeing one of those chocolate couch shapes myself, still want a Kenny Anderson shaped deck too but they are so hard to find...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1417 on: May 29, 2020, 10:29:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I cant imagine snapping my 9.5 "old school" board but I can see it being possible to snap the 9" Girl deck I have now. Very unlikely but possible.

I was tiny when I was skating old school shapes, in the 80s. I broke one. The break was my fault. I’ve ranted about this before, but boards ‘felt’ better back then.
We also had softer wheels, and risers, both of which may have helped soften impacts.
The smaller the boards, the faster they break. Those world boards in ‘95? Step right through em.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #1418 on: May 29, 2020, 10:47:00 AM »
I think the concave has a big say in deck stability. The Cruz missile II concave likes to snap at the flat spot, no matter how wide the board is.
Also some of the modern concave deck I have had issues with at the waist, where the stress point is in front of the back truck, where also the concave is the lowest. But an 8” or anything around that seems more fragile, for sure.

PMA

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1419 on: May 29, 2020, 05:51:25 PM »
What's some good video parts to watch recent footage of guys getting tech(ish) on big smoke boards?
Sorry that I posted this in here, but I figure this was the right crowd.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #1420 on: May 29, 2020, 06:03:45 PM »
Obligatory Chico's Instagram plug for sure!
Max Geronzi came out with a part not too long ago solely on an 80s style board I think.
Villani has tech footage sprinkled throughout his recent parts (Primitive Encore, X Games Real Street, etc.) and on IG with his egg shaped board.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1421 on: May 29, 2020, 06:04:06 PM »
What's some good video parts to watch recent footage of guys getting tech(ish) on big smoke boards?
Sorry that I posted this in here, but I figure this was the right crowd.

Three of my recent favorites

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1422 on: May 29, 2020, 06:08:40 PM »
Thanks fellas much appreciated..I'm gonna go get lost in these for a while.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1423 on: May 29, 2020, 06:10:03 PM »

No problem! Let me know if you find any other good ones!

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #1424 on: May 29, 2020, 06:12:15 PM »

No. My Gonz lasted forever... It was getting razor tailed to hell. I finally went to a drained fountain spot that killed the nose and tail, as the transition was that harsh. (I know understand why the BAKU call tight transition skateboarding a knifing ritual). Short wheel base, wider boards seem to last longer for sure...

Max and Chico vids, so good!

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #1425 on: May 29, 2020, 06:14:43 PM »
The bulk of this is on the Phawt/ Cardiel shape... I keep coming back to this to see what's possible on a 9"+ board... Everything he does looks so good compared to  on an 8.25" or whatever he rode before....

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1426 on: May 29, 2020, 06:14:52 PM »
Good discussion. Great page. Was curious about recent parts w bigger boards, too. Like Dane tipping in the Dane 1 shape, or anyone on it. And boserio was a name riding 9+ for a while. Even Kader but he was small then.

And yeah figured tbag about snapping. Seems like the get soggier and “heavier” for non tranny stuff even more pronounced because of the size?

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1427 on: May 29, 2020, 06:15:25 PM »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1428 on: May 29, 2020, 07:12:19 PM »

Street Plant 'Super Blake'

Size: 9.5" x 32"
Wheelbase: 14.625" or 15.375"  **Double Drilled**
Nose: 6" / 5.625"
Tail: 6.25"/ 6.75"
Bolded is how I've set it up

Indy 159 Hollows (8.75" synchs up with the boards taper) - Stock bushings/pivots for now
MOB
54mm 101a OJII Elite Dressen Hardlines (been dying to trying this shape/duro/thane combo) - plus the 'street razors' the graphic is based off of were my wheels of choice back then
Zealous Bearings
Superior 7/8" Bolts
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 08:57:17 PM by Xen »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1429 on: May 29, 2020, 07:40:25 PM »
Xen- set up looks fun (and I’m not a street plant fan). Full dbl drilled....can’t remember when I’ve seen that.

The Cory Bellingham part is a favorite. Simon Bannerot, and Rowan Davis (rowbagz ig) both skate the love seat shape (I think) and they do really well/look like they are ‘just skating’ and not ‘skating a big board’ of that makes any sense.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1430 on: May 29, 2020, 07:47:45 PM »
Xen- set up looks fun (and I’m not a street plant fan). Full dbl drilled....can’t remember when I’ve seen that.

The Cory Bellingham part is a favorite. Simon Bannerot, and Rowan Davis (rowbagz ig) both skate the love seat shape (I think) and they do really well/look like they are ‘just skating’ and not ‘skating a big board’ of that makes any sense.

That’s a cool way to put it and makes perfect sense.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1431 on: May 29, 2020, 08:03:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Scram Fink 10.5 x 31 14.5wb
169 Hollow with Cast Plates and Krux pin
58mm F4 Radial Full
Reds
Pig Rails
[close]

Looks like a good time
[close]
Holy fuck that board looks epic.
   Props to whoever can Ollie a board with 2 points of pop contact like that(ala fish tail). Originally designed for tail taps on PVC coping.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1432 on: May 29, 2020, 08:09:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Scram Fink 10.5 x 31 14.5wb
169 Hollow with Cast Plates and Krux pin
58mm F4 Radial Full
Reds
Pig Rails
[close]

Looks like a good time
[close]
Holy fuck that board looks epic.
[close]
   Props to whoever can Ollie a board with 2 points of pop contact like that(ala fish tail). Originally designed for tail taps on PVC coping.

Said it before, but I had the Scram Nolan board made by assault (I think Watson. Board was seriously nice looking, but kinda heavy, and the wood didn’t feel all that lively). Similar tail to the fink (from photos). I could not ollie that thing well. It was a mission. Timing was all wrong. I think I needed taller wheels, and maybe risers, but that’s just an idea. Had a really wild lib tech deck.....with a similar tail, and it treflipped easily (for size), even tho it was damn near 33”. The cuts/tail shape/tail corners worked great. I’ve got no idea what anything means

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1433 on: May 29, 2020, 08:26:14 PM »
The bulk of this is on the Phawt/ Cardiel shape... I keep coming back to this to see what's possible on a 9"+ board... Everything he does looks so good compared to  on an 8.25" or whatever he rode before....

He kills that. Didn’t realize that deck is 9.1” and Length: 32.625". Wheelbase: 14.25". He makes it look way shorter.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1434 on: May 29, 2020, 08:52:40 PM »

Just DBL Drilled at the nose as normal. I like Streetplant, just not the shapes usually but I was feeling this one and the proceeds, well, no need to explain the benefits there.

I started on shaped boards but only like certain types, I don't like football or the 'normal' 'oldschool/reissue' shapes as the noses are too narrow for me. I still can't find the right shape...still on the search for a shaped 'squarescicle'
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 08:55:43 PM by Xen »

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #1435 on: May 29, 2020, 11:00:50 PM »
9 x 32 Madness with 14.25 WB
Indy 169 with 88a red bushings
55 F4 Tablets
Swiss
Mob

Im really loving this board! might stick to this shape for a bit.

animalflesh

« Reply #1436 on: May 30, 2020, 06:39:44 AM »
Looks good

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1437 on: May 30, 2020, 08:25:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
He kills that. Didn’t realize that deck is 9.1” and Length: 32.625". Wheelbase: 14.25". He makes it look way shorter.
i thought that shape had a 14.75 wb
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1438 on: May 30, 2020, 08:37:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Because it does

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1439 on: May 30, 2020, 09:19:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

Because it does
oh cool. Couldn’t find listings of it online search when I did quick only zumiez haha. How tall is CK?