Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 546946 times)

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #3780 on: September 02, 2021, 08:21:21 PM »
I was never into eggs and footballs, but I’ll make an exception for this

I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3781 on: September 03, 2021, 01:11:05 AM »
Expand Quote

Finally got around to riding this- I forgot how much fun slicks are...
Dressen everslick with some OJ key frame 58’s 87 A , I think.
Also forgot home much fun soft wheels are. This thing is a curb slapper supreme.
[close]

Love that shape and love keyframes.

I'm dying to try that shape, it looks perfect.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

animalflesh

« Reply #3782 on: September 03, 2021, 06:20:43 AM »

Fuck that’s so rad!!!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3783 on: September 03, 2021, 06:54:56 AM »
Few nice ones in here:

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3784 on: September 03, 2021, 08:24:13 AM »
I want that black widow. It reminds me of a Black Label Tim Upson board I had in 1997, pictured below. It was one of two times in the late 90's that I skated an over-8" board. Both times my skating magically improved, but I was too dumb/stubborn to admit that maybe 7.75" wasn't a good idea for someone with size 11 feet.

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #3785 on: September 03, 2021, 09:29:43 AM »

Fuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhdge. Just ordered a Grosso and I’m sitting on a Lucero Cross & Street Thing from this spring, but man are those widder and  12XU tempting.

Fhk

« Reply #3786 on: September 03, 2021, 03:21:27 PM »

Finally got around to riding this- I forgot how much fun slicks are...
Dressen everslick with some OJ key frame 58’s 87 A , I think.
Also forgot how much fun soft wheels are. This thing is a curb slapper supreme.
That's gotta be my favorite setup I have ever seen on here! The garbage truck(?) is rad too

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3787 on: September 04, 2021, 03:05:35 AM »
New pop!

Heroin DMODW Call of the Wild 9.25"
Indy 169 Titanium
F4 99a Classics 52mm
Bones Swiss
Indy cylinder 92a bushings
Indy hardware
Jessup grip

Fhk

« Reply #3788 on: September 04, 2021, 05:31:43 AM »
New pop!

Heroin DMODW Call of the Wild 9.25"
Indy 169 Titanium
F4 99a Classics 52mm
Bones Swiss
Indy cylinder 92a bushings
Indy hardware
Jessup grip

That's sick! It looks like you have it setup nice and light for fliptricks and shit, if not I bet it would be fun for that!

animalflesh

« Reply #3789 on: September 04, 2021, 07:14:52 AM »
That’s the same dims as the heroin pop I had recently, probably the best popsicle I ever skated

Also had 169 ti on mine good fit

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3790 on: September 04, 2021, 04:46:37 PM »
That's sick! It looks like you have it setup nice and light for fliptricks and shit, if not I bet it would be fun for that!

Spot on, trying to get (back) into flips. Pretty amazing how manageable big boards are with light trucks and small wheels.

That’s the same dims as the heroin pop I had recently, probably the best popsicle I ever skated

Also had 169 ti on mine good fit

Sick, cannot wait to try mine. Expecting it to be an improvement over the 9" Jart popsicles I have been riding for years.

EDIT: First session down, mostly flat and some bowl. Wow! As you say, this might be the best popsicle I ever skated. Steeper concave, nose, and tail than the HLC 9" popsicles. Plus BBS wood. It feels like it injects more power into the tricks, if that makes sense. I wasn't sure about the square nose at first but it seemed to help my flick once I got used to it. Most consistent Kickflips in a long while.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 06:48:04 AM by listentoaheartbeat »

JK42

• Rep: 22
« Reply #3791 on: September 09, 2021, 04:14:07 AM »
Blast Skates 10 inch Mascot Logo Deck (made in UK by Gnosis MFG)
Indy 169 Forged Hollow with 94a bushings
Slimeball Vomits 97a 54mm

Inaugural run out last night....its heavy but stable, and pops a manny when you don't even ask it to. Taking some getting used to from an 8.5 pop, but its good fun.

beandemon

« Reply #3792 on: September 09, 2021, 05:40:39 AM »

Inaugural run out last night....its heavy but stable, and pops a manny when you don't even ask it to. Taking some getting used to from an 8.5 pop, but its good fun.

I’d hit that.

beandemon

« Reply #3793 on: September 09, 2021, 05:44:47 AM »
Curious as to what grip folks prefer?  Assuming 9”+ sheets. Looking for longevity rather than initial absolute grippiness; I don’t shred shoes and I often wear out the grip well before the deck is done.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3794 on: September 09, 2021, 07:28:46 AM »

That Blast Skates mascot is so good. Looks like a nice deck otherwise too.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3795 on: September 09, 2021, 07:32:26 AM »
Curious as to what grip folks prefer?  Assuming 9”+ sheets. Looking for longevity rather than initial absolute grippiness; I don’t shred shoes and I often wear out the grip well before the deck is done.

Jessup Ultragrip. It also comes in 10" these days but that isn't very widely available at least where I live. Better grip than normal Jessup, wears down slower than normal Jessup or Mob. My current 9.25" I gripped with 9" Jessup Ultragrip. I just put it mostly in 9" strips there. Bit more cumbersome than gripping straight with a sheet wide enough but I don't mind as I like to fiddle with my grip anyway.  :)

disclosed

• Rep: 183
« Reply #3796 on: September 09, 2021, 07:50:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Jessup Ultragrip. It also comes in 10" these days but that isn't very widely available at least where I live. Better grip than normal Jessup, wears down slower than normal Jessup or Mob. My current 9.25" I gripped with 9" Jessup Ultragrip. I just put it mostly in 9" strips there. Bit more cumbersome than gripping straight with a sheet wide enough but I don't mind as I like to fiddle with my grip anyway.  :)
yeah usually Jessup or Jessup Ultra for me. dont really have a preference there. also don't care if its a 9" sheed as i cut it up and play with it anyway.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #3797 on: September 09, 2021, 08:22:51 AM »
Black Magic, Jessup & Mob M80

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #3798 on: September 09, 2021, 10:03:33 AM »
Mob 10" and 11". I usually try to stock up on a few sheets when there's online sales and/or I'm trying to hit free shipping.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3799 on: September 09, 2021, 07:13:04 PM »

Also curious how many people are in the "must have wide grip" category or how many are in the "make whatever I have work" category?

At one point there was no wide grip available, only the 9 x 33 sheets, or even the 8 x 32 sheets going back a long time, so we would cut that up, run it sideways, put racing stripes, or do anything just to make a smaller sheet fit a bigger board.

I know some people would even use part or half another sheet just to try to cover the whole board with minimal to no gaps, or others who would not even set up a new big board if they didn't have a total black top cover (as in a single sheet to totally cover the whole board) which was not much fun for them.

Even the orange eagles are a bit too long for a normal sheet, so either the nose gets a little trim, or somewhere in the middle gets a small gap, from boards I have set up in the last year or so for people.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

beandemon

« Reply #3800 on: September 09, 2021, 07:37:37 PM »
I’m in the make it work group- hell, I’m the king of the 3 hour patchwork grip job, but I like to have the option to do it in one go.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #3801 on: September 09, 2021, 07:56:11 PM »
Don’t care either way, but smaller sheet is fine since I usually leave the top graphic exposed

animalflesh

« Reply #3802 on: September 10, 2021, 07:14:24 AM »
Found this old un skated scram at my dads house and gripped it with a 9 inch sheet of mob

Scram Waldo (10”)
169 Ti (white front bushings)
61mm OJ Team riders
Big balls
Rib bones
1/4 risers

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
« Reply #3803 on: September 10, 2021, 07:42:16 AM »
Found this old un skated scram at my dads house and gripped it with a 9 inch sheet of mob

Scram Waldo (10”)
61mm OJ Team riders
Big balls
Rib bones
1/4 risers

Beauty
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Landmine

• Rep: 185
« Reply #3804 on: September 10, 2021, 08:08:07 AM »
"must have wide grip" category

Me.  Now that it's widely available and I don't have to deal with speed stripes or cutting, I have to have full coverage.  I never liked having the top ply visible.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3805 on: September 10, 2021, 09:03:46 AM »

Scram Waldo (10”)
61mm OJ Team riders
Big balls
Rib bones
1/4 risers

sweet setup..

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3806 on: September 10, 2021, 09:05:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Also curious how many people are in the "must have wide grip" category or how many are in the "make whatever I have work" category?

At one point there was no wide grip available, only the 9 x 33 sheets, or even the 8 x 32 sheets going back a long time, so we would cut that up, run it sideways, put racing stripes, or do anything just to make a smaller sheet fit a bigger board.

I know some people would even use part or half another sheet just to try to cover the whole board with minimal to no gaps, or others who would not even set up a new big board if they didn't have a total black top cover (as in a single sheet to totally cover the whole board) which was not much fun for them.

Even the orange eagles are a bit too long for a normal sheet, so either the nose gets a little trim, or somewhere in the middle gets a small gap, from boards I have set up in the last year or so for people.

make what ever I have work. a bit of clear grip, especially if the board has a nice top graphic.

animalflesh

« Reply #3807 on: September 10, 2021, 03:05:20 PM »
Thank u friends

Skates awesome! 169 again feels very weird right now

fakie varial flip

« Reply #3808 on: September 10, 2021, 08:24:36 PM »
Any recommendations for Indy 169s?

I had a Heroin Streetballer (9.75 at its widest, squared off tombstone shape) that I loved and rode to death. This was mostly for cruising, curbs, and some goof-around flatground, not my normal setup.

I've tried a Polar Dane (too short wb), Black Label punk point (I can't even explain what I disliked about this), and now Heroin Mutant shape (10.3) which is way too big and wheelbites constantly. Please tell me there's some shaped board I can use and that I don't have to give up and just ride a 9" pop as a cruiser/fuck around board...

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #3809 on: September 10, 2021, 08:40:54 PM »
Any recommendations for Indy 169s?

I had a Heroin Streetballer (9.75 at its widest, squared off tombstone shape) that I loved and rode to death. This was mostly for cruising, curbs, and some goof-around flatground, not my normal setup.

I've tried a Polar Dane (too short wb), Black Label punk point (I can't even explain what I disliked about this), and now Heroin Mutant shape (10.3) which is way too big and wheelbites constantly. Please tell me there's some shaped board I can use and that I don't have to give up and just ride a 9" pop as a cruiser/fuck around board...

Do you know what sort of wheelbase you do like? 

Short - 14.25 and under
Med - 14.5 give or take
Long - 15+

As you said, Polar Dane is only 14.1 or so, which is very short.  The Black Label Jason Adams boards are usually on the shorter side too (often dual wheelbase at 14 and 14.5), but Black Label do make some great boards in the 9+ range, eg Lucero 9.25 which has a long wheelbase that can also be drilled back, a couple of Antihero shaped eagles (short wb yellow 9.55 wide and long wb green 9.56 wide), Scram shaped 9.5 or 9.75 if you can find them, Welcome 9.25 in a couple of shapes, so there are quite a few out there that work on 169s.

I can post a whole lot of links to various board shapes too, depending on where you are, eg USA, EU, AU, etc.