Author Topic: Are religious pros lame?  (Read 32989 times)

L33Tg33k

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 735
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
Re: Are religious pros lame?
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2014, 11:54:04 PM »
Expand Quote
a better analogy than the rat making up shit with his shit would be something like math is akin reading the blueprints of the universe and gaining more understanding of its structure as we go.
[close]
A blueprint would imply that this shit was planned and built, and I KNOW you wouldn't dare insinuate that, so just stop before you embarrass yourself some more.
No, the implication would be we work to find how the universe is put together with math being the notation in which it is was made, not to find who made it. It is not science's prerogative to find why, but to learn about the universe and perhaps the why will come with it. Science is not about faith, it's about knowledge. If we discover that there's some giant interdimensional sentient energy being that made us all, it wouldn't be a blow to science. It would just be science.

Me embarrass myself some more? You're the one that sounds like a slow child here.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2014, 12:01:04 AM »
Like most I don't care about other people's religious preference, but if someone wants to thank their god for something then so what? Plenty of other skaters are rockin pentagram tats, throwing up devil horn hand signs, writing 666 on their grip, whatever. Yeah, kids are impressionable but people also grow into themselves and develop their own opinions at some point.

Most "religious pros" aren't trying to convert kids through skating. They just don't hide their beliefs and shouldn't need to. In reality, this isn't some kind of huge thing anyway. The vast majority of professional skaters don't overtly claim a religious stance either way, they're publicly neutral so to speak so what this thread really is about is singling out a very small group and chastising them for their faith. That's ignorant as fuck, no matter which side of the fence you're on.

Moreover, when someone says they thank god for being where they are they're probably not insinuating that god pointed at them with magic fingers and said "you will win Street League," they're usually communicating that their devotion kept them grounded and focused enough to accomplish whatever goal. If that was a factor then they can thank their god all they want. Why do you care so much if they do?

I'm not taking a side but honestly ask yourself what's more dangerous and damaging: saying "I'd like to thank god," "I believe in god," etc, or the rampant inflated egos, narcissism, and general assholery that so many pros project? Or how about thecountless dirtbags who constantly glorifiy drug use and other forms of overall self-destructive behavior? In comparison, is that guy who says he believes in god really setting a bad example? In most cases the answer is 'no.'

I don't know why I bothered writing that. Most of the twats on this forum don't have the capacity for post-conventional thought necessary to understand anything that doesn't match their own narrow-minded beliefs. Shit, half you tools* can't even be bothered to read more than a few sentences in one sitting.

*If the phrase "you tools" upset you then you most likely fall into the group I'm referring to. Congrats, tool.

P.S.  You seem to have conveniently left out any Muslim skateboarders. Why not bring up guys like Jordan Richter? There are plenty of Buddhist skaters too, what about them? Don't fall into the common politically correct militant atheist trap of only targeting Christians, please spread the hate around equally.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2014, 01:15:26 AM »
P Rod isn't trying to convert anybody when he prays to his hat. He's a religious and compulsive dude, so its probably about the equivalent to Reynolds' ocd shit. Its something to put his mind at ease before generally doing something really difficult and precise down some huge obstacle.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2014, 02:26:18 AM »
A human trying to figure out how we got here with math is like a rat trying to figure out why it's in a cage using nothing but its own poop.  Even if someone did claim to figure it out, you'd just be taking them at their word.  You wouldn't understand it.  There are no genius mathematicians on the SLAP forum.  You essentially might as well be snake handling.  Most people side with atheism because they want to seem intelligent and independent from anything.  Or as Neal Stephenson put it;
Expand Quote
Ninety-nine percent of everything that goes on in most Christian churches has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual religion. Intelligent people all notice this sooner or later, and they conclude that the entire one hundred percent is bullshit, which is why atheism is connected with being intelligent in people's minds.
[close]
It's hip now.  That's cool.  In crowd.  I get it.  Doesn't make it any more right than asking a Magic 8-Ball.  Those were in for a while too though, so whatever you're into.
I respectfully disagree. The consideration that you created this comment based on a mathematical algorithm we humans developed en masse, without divinity, that many of us on the SLAP message board couldn't decode, yet it still functions for the most part perfectly, I fail to see the trendiness of athiesm based on mathematical ignorance. The dominant world view is still monotheism that strongly resembles Christianity, but nice try at martyrdom. I hear that was cool a couple thousand years ago. I wasn't raised in the church so there is no rebellion aspect for me. I think we all deserve better. I refuse to believe that humans are inherently flawed. I feel no superiority based on what I don't believe.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 02:35:22 AM by pinche gringo »

plod

« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2014, 02:31:16 AM »
A human trying to figure out how we got here with math is like a rat trying to figure out why it's in a cage using nothing but its own poop.  Even if someone did claim to figure it out, you'd just be taking them at their word.  You wouldn't understand it.  There are no genius mathematicians on the SLAP forum.  You essentially might as well be snake handling.  Most people side with atheism because they want to seem intelligent and independent from anything.  Or as Neal Stephenson put it;
Expand Quote
Ninety-nine percent of everything that goes on in most Christian churches has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual religion. Intelligent people all notice this sooner or later, and they conclude that the entire one hundred percent is bullshit, which is why atheism is connected with being intelligent in people's minds.
[close]
It's hip now.  That's cool.  In crowd.  I get it.  Doesn't make it any more right than asking a Magic 8-Ball.  Those were in for a while too though, so whatever you're into.

That is some profoundly dum shit you just spouted.

plod

« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2014, 02:45:48 AM »
Expand Quote
A good example would be If you found out Gonz was part of the God Squad you would be bummed. I would anyway.

Seems like the religious posters in this thread are the angriest.
Mocking motor neuron disease, very Christian of you.

[close]
uhh, actually in the Rocco doc, the man who souled the world, rocco says that gonz actually talked jason lee out of using the board that later became natas' famous 101 board, because mark's religious beliefs made him tell jason the board was evil. Guess im really just writing this to say a lot of people have certain beliefs but dont make it their outward persona.

Yep that's cool.

Interesting that no one is mocking or hating on religon, simply stating they don't believe and that changes their opinion of people who do.

Yet that is immdiatley met with hostility and anger. I got two negative rep things just for posting in here. The wrath of God.

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2014, 05:46:04 AM »
Actually Thrillho sounds like he needs some mocking, he's gone next level person in this bitch.

jonnysheen

• Rep: -64
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2014, 07:04:03 AM »
I'll just leave this here

Piri-piri

• Rep: 5
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2014, 08:25:26 AM »
Expand Quote
the obnoxious 'satan/666' attention seeking dudes are just as awful as the religious dudes.
[close]

Here's Sierra spouting off about it

What I saw was not Sierra spouting off about religion, but revealing how he was brainwashed into believing in Christianity and religion before he could possibly have the mental functions to decide for himself.

How fucking dare his stupid shitbrained mother ask a seven your child something like that. It's no doubt cyclical, and she was obviously raised into 'taking Jesus into her life' by her moron parents, and their moron parents, and their parents etc dating all the way back to when people didn't know any different and had to revert to believing in fairytales in order to justify and give meaning to things. Without religious parents, religion would be a done deal inside a single generation.

Pushing belief on your kids is the fucking worst - this poor bastard never had a chance. That video clip made me feel a bit sick actually as it was scary seeing how far his critical thinking functions have been so totally numbed by a lifetime of belief - Similar total conviction in the belief that their religion is true is what leads people to commit atrocities, globally, on a daily basis.
In 2014.
It's insane.

I actually have a similar recollection with my own mum around this age; we were in the car going somewhere, I looked up to the clouds and asked if that's where God lives. She went, "errrr & ummm" for a bit, but that was all I really needed to know. I've never given religion a second thought since then, apart from railing against it when it adversarially effects peoples lives needlessly.

As for praying in sport: I like it when two teams/players pray to God. It's always good to see who the big man wants to win.
He certainly seemed to have no time for David Luiz for Brazil in the World Cup. He must have had a cheeky wank after his incredible free kick in the previous game.

decoi1

• Rep: 18
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2014, 08:38:17 AM »
Religion and religious people are lame. It has nothing to do with ones profession. But if they happen to be a skateboarder and they rip shit who really cares how they live their lives or choose for graphics

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2014, 08:39:59 AM »
I'm glad Sierra has changed so much since then. 

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2014, 09:08:30 AM »
Quote from: D. Bag ? link=topic=80106.msg2175414#msg2175414 date=1404962223
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The more education someone has, the more likely they don't believe god. That says a lot. How does that feel christian pals? The few of you sound pretty pissed, but i'm guessing you guys are trolling.

[close]

Tell that to Ashkenazi Jews who traditionally have the highest IQ of all humankind with many traditionally tend to value education greatly.?  They must be sooooo stupid for having faith, am I right??  What a bunch of assholes!

Silly generalizations in order to try and "make the enemy look stupid" is for suckers who feel a strong compulsion to always be "right".?  And I'm not even religious, butt fuck if I don't at least have some respect for many of those who are.?  What's tragicomic to me is when people say things like "Screw those Christian bigots!" without even noticing their own blanketed bigotry they throw around in saying so.?  It's that sort of thing that made me lose my faith in mankind long, long ago, but thanks for reaffirming my feelings on the matter, bro!

[close]

Those people who say "well you have to respect them and their religious beliefs" are the absolute worst. I don't have to respect shit. Especially when it promotes eternal paradise as a death perk (pretty nice perk if you ask me) but theres a catch... we need 10% of your paycheck for you to be eligable. And btw we were just kidding about the paradise thing, you just die.

It's like that movie The Island with ScarJo.

they don't mean you really have to, only that if you don't want to come across as an asshole you should.

are you going to go to a dinner party and make fun of people who say grace? Its that kind of thing. That shit looks silly to all non-believers but that doesn't mean you can't show some respect. Its like people who have ugly babies, you still act like they are cute eventough everyone sees the little mutant, troll poo head.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2014, 09:17:17 AM »
Its like people who have ugly babies, you still act like they are cute eventough everyone sees the little mutant, troll poo head.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2014, 10:50:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Its like people who have ugly babies, you still act like they are cute eventough everyone sees the little mutant, troll poo head.
[close]

Children of the Corn Syrup

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2014, 12:02:06 PM »
P.S.  You seem to have conveniently left out any Muslim skateboarders. Why not bring up guys like Jordan Richter? There are plenty of Buddhist skaters too, what about them? Don't fall into the common politically correct militant atheist trap of only targeting Christians, please spread the hate around equally.

Shut the fuck up you ignorant christian chauvinist. Christians are by far the most arrogant and chauvinistic about pushing their religion on others. I've NEVER had a muslim knock on my door to convert me. I've never walked outside and seen that my city has paid tax dollars to put up ramadan decorations, I've NEVER heard any Muslim claim this is a "muslim nation" despite clear and repeated explicit statements making us a pluralist secular nation. I've never heard of a group of concerned muslims forcing schools to change their biology textbook. You know who does do all of that shit? FUCKING CHRISTIANS. Its not the belief that pisses a lot of people off, its your arrogant assumption that you are superior, deserve to have your religion privileged, and force others with no interest whatsoever in believing in your religion to follow your religious rules.
THAT is why Christianity gets the most shit- its because you guys, in a complete lack of self-awareness, are the most oppressive to others who are not of your religion BY FAR. You guys are so shameless about thinking we should all share "christian values" (you know, like hating gay people and believing women who are raped should carry their rapists baby) but at the same time, every time you are confronted with it, you play this bullshit "oppressed christian" card that really just makes you look even more fucking stupid and more fucking whiny.

Let the muslims practice in peace. Fucking Christians are the problem.

Lenny the Fatface

« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2014, 12:50:13 PM »
About 1/2 of them are cool because they aren't pushy or they approach their doctrine from a more philosophical angle.

Cold Pizza

« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2014, 12:57:11 PM »
yes, they are.  i believe in separation of church and skate.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2014, 01:04:59 PM »
About 1/2 of them are cool because they aren't pushy or they approach their doctrine from a more philosophical angle.
The philosophical angle that says to murder your bride if she isn't a virgin on her wedding night, to kill your neighbor for working on the sabbath, that gays are evil and should burn in hell, or the obvious shit that is universally understood without needing god like- don't kill people or treat others how you want to be treated? Philosophically the bible is straight garbage with a couple nice, but obvious things sprinkled in. If you need the bible to tell you not to murder, it doesn't matter how pious you are, you are a terrible fucking person. If you listen to the bible when it says to hate gays, or that slaves should be obedient to their masters no matter what, then you are also a terrible fucking person. Either way, a person who needs/uses the bible for morality is probably a shitty human.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2014, 01:24:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Shut the fuck up you ignorant christian chauvinist. Christians are by far the most arrogant and chauvinistic about pushing their religion on others. I've NEVER had a muslim knock on my door to convert me. I've never walked outside and seen that my city has paid tax dollars to put up ramadan decorations, I've NEVER heard any Muslim claim this is a "muslim nation" despite clear and repeated explicit statements making us a pluralist secular nation. I've never heard of a group of concerned muslims forcing schools to change their biology textbook. You know who does do all of that shit? FUCKING CHRISTIANS. Its not the belief that pisses a lot of people off, its your arrogant assumption that you are superior, deserve to have your religion privileged, and force others with no interest whatsoever in believing in your religion to follow your religious rules.
THAT is why Christianity gets the most shit- its because you guys, in a complete lack of self-awareness, are the most oppressive to others who are not of your religion BY FAR. You guys are so shameless about thinking we should all share "christian values" (you know, like hating gay people and believing women who are raped should carry their rapists baby) but at the same time, every time you are confronted with it, you play this bullshit "oppressed christian" card that really just makes you look even more fucking stupid and more fucking whiny.

Umm, mooselimbs suck too. They suck pretty fucking hard actually. I know I'm not visiting any middle eastern theocracies any time soon at least. Your point is correct though. I'll say it again, religion effects all of us. Politics effects all of us. No matter how much you want to stick your fingers in your ears and scream la la la, these things aren't disappearing and we all suffer for it.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2014, 01:29:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Umm, mooselimbs suck too. They suck pretty fucking hard actually. I know I'm not visiting any middle eastern theocracies any time soon at least. Your point is correct though. I'll say it again, religion effects all of us. Politics effects all of us. No matter how much you want to stick your fingers in your ears and scream la la la, these things aren't disappearing and we all suffer for it.
I can only take your word for it. I've never been forced to participate in Muslim practices, where with Christianity its a regular thing that isn't even controversial in the U.S. Not to mention, Christians have killed WAY more muslims than muslims have killed christians- the crusades, the battle for spain and the inquisition, European imperialism in the q9th, 20th, and 21st centuries. The only reason muslims are brought up is because they are the only ones even close to being competitive with the christians, but aren't as good at domination.

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2014, 01:51:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Children of the Corn Syrup
I had one helluva laugh at this! Thank you so much SJ
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2014, 01:51:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

adorable!

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2014, 02:09:44 PM »
I thought of a fun way to mess with Christians if you're ever so inclined. Just start talking about bible stories and ask if they think that shit really happened. Watch them pick and choose which parts were literal and which were figurative. Be amused.

esoesloco

• Rep: -5
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2014, 05:04:45 PM »
Quote from: D. Bag  link=topic=80106.msg2175414#msg2175414 date=1404962223
Expand Quote
The more education someone has, the more likely they don't believe god. That says a lot. How does that feel christian pals? The few of you sound pretty pissed, but i'm guessing you guys are trolling.

[close]

Tell that to Ashkenazi Jews who traditionally have the highest IQ of all humankind with many traditionally tend to value education greatly.  They must be sooooo stupid for having faith, am I right?  What a bunch of assholes!

Silly generalizations in order to try and "make the enemy look stupid" is for suckers who feel a strong compulsion to always be "right".  And I'm not even religious, but fuck if I don't at least have some respect for many of those who are.  What's tragicomic to me is when people say things like "Screw those Christian bigots!" without even noticing their own blanketed bigotry they throw around in saying so.  It's that sort of thing that made me lose my faith in mankind long, long ago, but thanks for reaffirming my feelings on the matter, bro!

word.  Putting faith in the observations of man and the material plane= cool, intelligent, forward thinking. . .  Putting faith in a higher spiritual power beyond the physical = obnoxious arrogant bigotry (but only really if you have the audacity to call that higher powder "God", if you use more broad terms and smoke weed you can still be "cool and spiritual")

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2014, 05:14:05 PM »
Expand Quote
A human trying to figure out how we got here with math is like a rat trying to figure out why it's in a cage using nothing but its own poop.  Even if someone did claim to figure it out, you'd just be taking them at their word.  You wouldn't understand it.  There are no genius mathematicians on the SLAP forum.  You essentially might as well be snake handling.  Most people side with atheism because they want to seem intelligent and independent from anything.  Or as Neal Stephenson put it;
Expand Quote
[close]
It's hip now.  That's cool.  In crowd.  I get it.  Doesn't make it any more right than asking a Magic 8-Ball.  Those were in for a while too though, so whatever you're into.
[close]
I respectfully disagree. The consideration that you created this comment based on a mathematical algorithm we humans developed en masse, without divinity, that many of us on the SLAP message board couldn't decode, yet it still functions for the most part perfectly, I fail to see the trendiness of athiesm based on mathematical ignorance. The dominant world view is still monotheism that strongly resembles Christianity, but nice try at martyrdom. I hear that was cool a couple thousand years ago. I wasn't raised in the church so there is no rebellion aspect for me. I think we all deserve better. I refuse to believe that humans are inherently flawed. I feel no superiority based on what I don't believe.

His point stands. Mathematics is a human abstraction; we created it. if we emerged from the universe how can the universe be based on something that emerged from us? the existence of online forums based on mathematical algorithms doesn't answer that question. What annoys me about a lot of atheists (and I would consider myself one) is that they are often astoundingly ignorant of the history and philosophy of science, and adhere to the Newtonian view of the universe with an almost 'blind faith'. They'll read some shit from some hack like Dawkins or Dennett and accept the nihilism implied in their conclusions, which is a much more dangerous belief than much of the deity worship that they so blissfully condemn.

but yeah christian skaters are annoying for the most part.

Lenny the Fatface

« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2014, 05:17:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
The philosophical angle that says to murder your bride if she isn't a virgin on her wedding night, to kill your neighbor for working on the sabbath, that gays are evil and should burn in hell, or the obvious shit that is universally understood without needing god like- don't kill people or treat others how you want to be treated? Philosophically the bible is straight garbage with a couple nice, but obvious things sprinkled in. If you need the bible to tell you not to murder, it doesn't matter how pious you are, you are a terrible fucking person. If you listen to the bible when it says to hate gays, or that slaves should be obedient to their masters no matter what, then you are also a terrible fucking person. Either way, a person who needs/uses the bible for morality is probably a shitty human.

I'm not going to defend the Christianity to you, because I'm not one. But growing up in the bible belt I've seen clear distinction between what's a kook Christian and what isn't. My comment wasn't even specifically about Christians (As I'm sure skateboarding has also had Jewish, Buddhist, Rastafarian and *sigh* Scientologist pros), just stating that religious people who tend to be more flexible and less dogmatic about their faith usually aren't the gay hating slavery loving assholes you want them to be.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 05:19:20 PM by Lenny the Fatface »

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2014, 05:31:19 PM »
religious pros are mad lame but 'lame' is better than 6 ft under,  you'll notice the christian fundamentalist skate comunity isnt much for od'ing  or going to jail and shit  so cheers to them.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 05:33:17 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

fulltechnicalskizzy

« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2014, 06:22:54 PM »
Nothing worse than a self-loathing atheist.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #118 on: July 10, 2014, 06:34:40 PM »
religious pros are mad lame but 'lame' is better than 6 ft under,  you'll notice the christian fundamentalist skate comunity isnt much for od'ing  or going to jail and shit  so cheers to them.
You mean like Gator? He was religious as fuck and raped and murdered a girl for reminding him of his ex-girlfriend and is still in jail...maybe you've heard the story.
Or maybe like Lennie Kirk, who stuck up cabbies with sawed off shot guns because according to Josh Kalis, he thought God gave him permission. He never got in any trouble either.

Shitheads exist in religious and non-religious communities alike. Religious shitheads just somehow think God is blessing them in their actions (as Gator and Lennie did)

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
A human trying to figure out how we got here with math is like a rat trying to figure out why it's in a cage using nothing but its own poop. �Even if someone did claim to figure it out, you'd just be taking them at their word. �You wouldn't understand it. �There are no genius mathematicians on the SLAP forum. �You essentially might as well be snake handling. �Most people side with atheism because they want to seem intelligent and independent from anything. �Or as Neal Stephenson put it;
Expand Quote
[close]
It's hip now. �That's cool. �In crowd. �I get it. �Doesn't make it any more right than asking a Magic 8-Ball. �Those were in for a while too though, so whatever you're into.
[close]
[close]

His point stands. Mathematics is a human abstraction; we created it. if we emerged from the universe how can the universe be based on something that emerged from us? the existence of online forums based on mathematical algorithms doesn't answer that question. What annoys me about a lot of atheists (and I would consider myself one) is that they are often astoundingly ignorant of the history and philosophy of science, and adhere to the Newtonian view of the universe with an almost 'blind faith'. They'll read some shit from some hack like Dawkins or Dennett and accept the nihilism implied in their conclusions, which is a much more dangerous belief than much of the deity worship that they so blissfully condemn.

For the last fucking time ITS NOT BLIND FAITH. It has been repeatedly tested and our modern life is based around the idea that these aren't just random human ideas, but the actual way the universe works. The idea that "the universe is based on something that emerged from us" simply shows a terrible and weak grasp of how math works. I didn't decide in my head that if Johnny has two apples and gets two more apples he will then have four apples, I've observed it repeatedly, its how things work, so therefore, I can comfortably say 2+2=4- I didn't make that up and have faith in its truth, I observed it. Modern inventions such as computers and the internet have also made it clear that mathematical ideas aren't just hypotheses, but actual working concepts upon which we can base most of our modern lifestyle. There's no "magic 8 ball" about it.
 Math is an abstraction of the observable, not some crazy language we invented that has no concrete meaning or value.  The fields of math and science are fields of discovery, not invention. To say that because math exists that god must is a huge leap in logic that is not necessarily true. If a god exists, it certainly must have created these laws, but because the laws exist does not mean god must.

And give it a rest with the idea that atheism is as dangerous as religion- look at Iraq, Syria, Israel, Gaza, Christian created laws in Uganda that give the death penalty to gays. NOTHING on Earth comes even close to the sort of misery, separation,  pain, and death that religion unleashes. Sure it does some good, but Al Capone set up a ton of soup kitchens too.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #119 on: July 10, 2014, 06:44:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
A human trying to figure out how we got here with math is like a rat trying to figure out why it's in a cage using nothing but its own poop. �Even if someone did claim to figure it out, you'd just be taking them at their word. �You wouldn't understand it. �There are no genius mathematicians on the SLAP forum. �You essentially might as well be snake handling. �Most people side with atheism because they want to seem intelligent and independent from anything. �Or as Neal Stephenson put it;
Expand Quote
[close]
It's hip now. �That's cool. �In crowd. �I get it. �Doesn't make it any more right than asking a Magic 8-Ball. �Those were in for a while too though, so whatever you're into.
[close]
[close]

Math is not just some human abstraction. It's notation of observations of the universe. Math is not a matter of perspective, it is objective understanding of the rules of the universe. It's how we notate the framework observed, not a human attempt at being the architect. Mathematics are the relationships and patterns of everything. It is to be discovered, not invented. Objective and absolute as the speed of light. As I thought Gip made clear, this is why everything around you works. Our understanding of the workings of the universe is what makes everything you rely upon work. Computers weren't cobbled together with rocks and dirt by an magician who just hoped the thing would turn on. There are objective, observable, empirical truths in this world.

Math is the proof. If you don't know how magnets work that doesn't mean that no one else does, that it can't be learned, or that it's magic. You may just be a juggalo.