Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309687 times)

givecigstosurfgroms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: bikes
« Reply #1110 on: May 01, 2019, 11:07:48 AM »
Thanks for the 29er respnse.  I felt there had to be somthing to them.  I ll have to try one on an actual ride.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1111 on: May 01, 2019, 03:15:45 PM »
Thanks for the 29er respnse.  I felt there had to be somthing to them.  I ll have to try one on an actual ride.

I'll sell you a really expensive hard tail for cheap.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1112 on: May 02, 2019, 12:29:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'll sell you a really expensive hard tail for cheap.
   I have a kona ss 26 rigid mtb so im set up but thanks for the offer. 

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1113 on: May 02, 2019, 04:04:41 AM »
they aren't great, you are getting what you pay for, if you are just riding it to work or as a commuter from time to time, its ok.
If you are in the US, I'd suggest the kilo tt, or an aventon or even a state, if you are looking for something new.
If you surf craigslist, kijiji or pink bike you can probably find a way better used fixed gear for les money.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1114 on: May 02, 2019, 07:21:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Yo guys, need your help finding a bike good for me.

Im 6 foot 4 inches and am looking for a proper sized fixed gear bike.  I had a hand me down beater, but the shit was so god damn small for me.  I dont want the best one ever because I feel like i really need to earn it, but I also dont want the super entry level one you feel me?

Any cool websites or brands I should check out? TBH im completely new to it but its super fun and am really getting into it.

SHal0m
[close]

I have had an SE bike for 4 years and it is great. I am 6 ft 1 and ride a 54 cm because I have a 31 inch inseam. If you have long legs (34”) you should get a 58”. Otherwise, go with a 56 cm. My advice is to always size slightly down if you want to hop up curbs and jump off curb cuts. I ride this bike pretty hard and I weigh 210 lbs and I have yet to bend a wheel. It comes with a flip flop hub which means you have a freewheel or fixie option. I have never ridden the fixie option because I am so used to back peddling that I would probably kill myself. My advice is spend $50-$100 on a decent seat (Terry is a good brand) because the stock seat will do damage to your prostate.

https://www.citygrounds.com/products/se-bikes-draft-single-speed-bike-2019?variant=12272397549679&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv7vE6aG_4QIVw5CfCh3wzg5gEAQYAyABEgLN1PD_BwE

I'm 6'3" and had an SE Draft Lite in 58cm that I got on the cheap and it served me well as a casual commuter.

I ended up selling it to a friend after his bike was stolen and ended up with a 6KU single speed in 58cm. It fits me a lot better and is also a cheap workhorse. I rode from Philly to AC on it the summer before last and was very comfortable the whole way.

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #1115 on: May 02, 2019, 08:47:26 AM »
This is my trek stache. It's such a fun versatile bike and you really get a lot of bang for your buck with it. It's not fat bike but it has plus size tires at 29x3.0. I run them tubeless and you can really run a low PSI without worry of pinch flats that way. climbs like crazy and is so stable and fun on hard pack. only downside is the tires are complete shit in sections that may have some mud

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1116 on: May 02, 2019, 08:48:47 AM »
Every time I see a Stache they look like a lot of fun.  Need to try one out

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #1117 on: May 02, 2019, 11:57:17 AM »
Every time I see a Stache they look like a lot of fun.  Need to try one out

it's a blast dude, i mostly just ride XC trails and the rigid fork still keeps things interesting and a bit more challenging than if I had one of the newer models. I can't imagine what the Full Stache is like, i bet you just glide over everything.

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 48
« Reply #1118 on: May 14, 2019, 06:38:47 AM »
A friend and I rub shoulders with some mountains pass by bike for the first time this past weekend. We decided to go to the Auvergne Volcanoes Regional Parc (dead center of France) and do the Aurillac - Clermont-Ferrand veloroute via the Puy Mary which is one of the highest summit in the area at 1783m; the pass is the highest in Auvergne at 1589m.

We knew there were chances of rain on Saturday. What actually happened was masses and masses of cold rain during 3/4 of the day, especially during the climb. I found the climb really long and gruelling, every inch was a victory, lots of pauses; definitely didn't eat enough before and then the bars weren't quick to act... but I made it. It was incredibly cold (2°C... snow everywhere, rain turned to sleet) and I basically had two big icebergs in-lieu of feet. Next purchase: waterproof socks and gloves and some gore tex trail shoes that dry quick. I just learned that the pass had only opened a week before. It's usually closed from November to May.

It was nice that the restaurant was open for some comfort (and fire by the chimney). There is a nice quick hike from the pass to reach the summit and have an amazing view unfortunately we couldn't see past 3m so we didn't bother. I was there two years ago in summer (it was really cold even in July - basically Auvergne is cold as f*ck year round) and when the skies are clear it's really gorgeous.

The nice thing after a long climb is the endless downhill. There were however two more long climbs before we really got back to lower altitudes. Last downhill felt infinite and soooo good. First day ended up at 90km and 1600m of positive elevation. We tried to find some place to camp but finally ended up in a camping site which had just opened that very day. Nice scalding shower.

The Sunday was supposed to be sunny but we woke up to rain and strong winds. The sky did clear up but the wind didn't stop AT ALL for the whole day. It's not a good sign when long streches of flat remind you of the previous day's climb just because the wind is so fierce. We really though that day would be much more mellow than it actually was, even without the wind. Wind tends to grind morale a bit sometimes, but we went through some really nice valleys that made up for it. We arrived just in time for our train back to Paris after 90km and close to 1000m of positive elevation.

Here are some pictures :

My friend's bike (almost) up top, waiting for me :)

The view you're supposed to have (took this two years ago). The road you can see is the one we climbed. The other access from Salers is muuuuuch steeper. I have some nice color film pictures of that day but I can't find the scans right now...

Me on the second day.

The route. Except we did it the other way round for logistical reasons (trains schedules).

aloftystandard

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1119 on: May 14, 2019, 09:40:52 AM »
If anyone needs parts slide into the DMs! I work for the skate warehouse of cycling and part of my job is direct sales. If you need anything parts, gear, complete bike feel free message me here. Don't but anything from here with out dropping a line I can typically hook it up pretty heavy.

https://www.jensonusa.com/

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1120 on: May 15, 2019, 11:16:48 AM »
Anybody experimented much with shorter cranks?

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1121 on: May 16, 2019, 07:40:37 AM »
such a sick trip tumulishoomaroom! i`m super pissed about the weather here, hardly any longer rides so far, mostly because i really really hate cleaning my bike afterwards. but stories like yours kinda give me the itch to just go for it. which i should.

tumulishoomaroom

« Reply #1122 on: May 17, 2019, 10:48:29 AM »
Thank you ! It was hard but great. Weather has been shit here too. Since we had booked train tickets w/bikes for this trip there was no going back. And frankly once you're out and about with the proper clothes, rain isn't so bad. It's just hard to start, especially if you're in the comfort of your house.

I go to the auto clean to wash my bike. It takes two minutes and as long as you don't get too close to the hubs you're fine. It's quite fun to do, turns out sparkling afterwards. My friends takes 6weeks off and goes from Paris to the nothernmost point in Scotland at the end of the month. (Paris-London then Euro-vélo n°12 http://www.eurovelo.com/fr/eurovelos), should be quite the (rainy) trip

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1123 on: May 17, 2019, 02:03:39 PM »
Thank you ! It was hard but great. Weather has been shit here too. Since we had booked train tickets w/bikes for this trip there was no going back. And frankly once you're out and about with the proper clothes, rain isn't so bad. It's just hard to start, especially if you're in the comfort of your house.

I go to the auto clean to wash my bike. It takes two minutes and as long as you don't get too close to the hubs you're fine. It's quite fun to do, turns out sparkling afterwards. My friends takes 6weeks off and goes from Paris to the nothernmost point in Scotland at the end of the month. (Paris-London then Euro-vélo n°12 http://www.eurovelo.com/fr/eurovelos), should be quite the (rainy) trip

I wouldn't use liquid to wash.  It acts as a medium for dirt to travel into the inner workings of your bike.  Use a dry rag instead.  Wont come out as sparkling but you'll get alot more life out of your bike.

cilantro

• Rep: 44
  • human bean
« Reply #1124 on: May 18, 2019, 11:36:13 AM »
A few weeks ago I bought a Retrospec Harper fixed gear off Amazon. I’ve only taken it on short rides, but I’m satisfied and excited to take it out more in the future

tumulishoomaroom

« Reply #1125 on: May 28, 2019, 12:41:09 AM »
I wouldn't use liquid to wash.  It acts as a medium for dirt to travel into the inner workings of your bike.  Use a dry rag instead.  Wont come out as sparkling but you'll get alot more life out of your bike.
I had to clean/re-grease all my bearing after this trip because of the non-stop rain; maybe the previous cleaning didn't help. I'll use the dry rag next time !

Yesterday I went into the Parc National de la Chevreuse, just south west of Paris; 125 quite photogenic km:

Thoroughly enjoyable ride, nobody on the road, beautiful sunny weather. Love the new tires, such an improvement in rolling resistance and confort. 

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1126 on: May 28, 2019, 11:56:14 AM »
how`re the disc brakes treating you? i`m in the market for a new medium priced road bike, and still torn between "traditional" and disc brakes. i kinda feel weird about shelling out money for a super light carbon frame and then putting heavier brakes on it, then again.. future and stuff. havent ridden them so far, might just have to try and rent a bike  with them.

tumulishoomaroom

« Reply #1127 on: May 29, 2019, 03:33:24 AM »
This is my first proper bike, so I can't really compare with good quality calipers, but no problems so far. I was glad I had disc brakes in the long descents in the rain for the previous mini tour I did; really felt secure. The Genesis Croix de Fer is a gravel/do it all/ steel touring bike so it's by no means ultra light (11,5kg stock if memory serves) so the added weight of disc brakes doesn't really matter.
I'm sure you can try a few bikes at your local bike shop ! I certainly did before buying this one.

Here's an interesting article tackling the question (and other long established cycling myths).
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/07/12/myth-12-disc-brakes-work-better-than-rim-brakes/
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 03:40:08 AM by tumulishoomaroom »

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1128 on: May 29, 2019, 01:21:49 PM »
how`re the disc brakes treating you? i`m in the market for a new medium priced road bike, and still torn between "traditional" and disc brakes. i kinda feel weird about shelling out money for a super light carbon frame and then putting heavier brakes on it, then again.. future and stuff. havent ridden them so far, might just have to try and rent a bike  with them.

Get upsold on the carbon to offset the weight of discs.   Get upsold on the thru axles to off set the increased strain that discs inflict compared to traditional brakes. Discs put more pressure on parts in order to provide stopping power, that certainly means forks too so youll have to upgrade those as well.  Traditional brakes cant reach around wide tires and still have much power so for mountain biking discs are superior.  But for thin tired bikes go traditional.  More liniar modulation too -(not as sketchy, mtbs have suspension and big tires which help with the 'stickiness' thats discs have.)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 01:37:05 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1129 on: May 29, 2019, 02:04:58 PM »
get disc brakes.  the stopping power is much better which is safer and weight difference is offset by the frame

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1130 on: May 29, 2019, 02:21:06 PM »
Get a top shelf bike or get a bike and have $ to vacation and use it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 02:23:01 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1131 on: June 05, 2019, 12:11:00 PM »
I learned these half bar spins on my mountain bike.  Just do a mini wheelie and throw it and do one with the other hand to get it back.  Feels good.

JamesNtheGntPch

• Rep: 38
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #1132 on: June 20, 2019, 04:45:56 PM »
Anyone know of specific north road / cruiser style bars that are good for carrying a skateboard?

I remember seeing a video a few years ago of a dude biking and skating spots in Copenhagen. He would slot his board into the handlebars between the boar and the wheels/trucks.

I looks way more comfortable than board on the back.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1133 on: June 21, 2019, 07:15:00 AM »
Anyone know of specific north road / cruiser style bars that are good for carrying a skateboard?

I remember seeing a video a few years ago of a dude biking and skating spots in Copenhagen. He would slot his board into the handlebars between the boar and the wheels/trucks.

I looks way more comfortable than board on the back.
  Jones.

JamesNtheGntPch

• Rep: 38
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #1134 on: June 22, 2019, 12:40:22 PM »

Something more like this... I think these may actually work they are 55mm wide (Nitto B352 North Road Handlebar) 

I couldn't run the jones bars on my quill stem.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1135 on: June 25, 2019, 06:05:08 PM »
Bike industry sucks in how theres nothing 'fun' in terms of design, its all race based with all the racing science.  Bike racers legs are massive. 

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1136 on: June 25, 2019, 07:24:58 PM »
Sounds to me like you want an "egg" shaped bike.  Well you can't have that. 
The bicycle industry hasn't been less about racing, in the last 40 years, than they are now.

Did you know that carpenters have huge hands.  Weird huh?
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1137 on: June 25, 2019, 07:39:30 PM »
Sounds to me like you want an "egg" shaped bike.  Well you can't have that. 
The bicycle industry hasn't been less about racing, in the last 40 years, than they are now.

Did you know that carpenters have huge hands.  Weird huh?
  Huge hands make your dick look small.
  Edit and I can have my egg shaped bike, but it'll have to be a custom frame.  I'd love a rigid mtb single speed frame but with 24 wheels or even with 22s (the smaller wheelsets are funner and stronger.)  I'm gonna buy a used bmx 1st tho.  Bmxs are fun but I would never try to commute with one personally.  And another sick idea that ur not seeing is fat bikes with 24 inch wheels.  With all the rubber the outside diameter would be 26' which would be a better seat height for the slow speeds fat bikes are intended for, but nooo..
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:04:03 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #1138 on: June 26, 2019, 12:34:57 AM »

slippy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #1139 on: June 27, 2019, 02:22:31 PM »
Got this Surly Long Haul Trucker a few months ago and am really pumped.  Excited to do some bikepacking especially since my buddy just got a setup as well.  Haven't taked it terrible far yet but am hoping to get some stuff up north where it's a little cooler soon. 

people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog