Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309630 times)

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
Re: bikes
« Reply #3420 on: October 03, 2023, 12:05:40 AM »
So there is this bike lane near the train station here and every fucking day there is cars parked on it. Yesterday on the way to work this cunt in a van turned into it, ran over the plastic bollard. I almost hit the back of the van as I was booking it to work. Anyways I was raging and removed his mirror. Now I'm thinking about filling it full of rocks and then poring in concrete. It's pretty beat up (the bollard) as cunts just drive over it to park. I'm thinking if I wrap it in duct tape first it might hold. Anyone got any experience doing something like that.  BTW there is water super close and I have a garage right near it also.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • HANNIBAL!!
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3421 on: October 04, 2023, 02:52:26 PM »
Anybody have experience biking cross country?

Skibb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3422 on: October 05, 2023, 02:24:14 AM »
So there is this bike lane near the train station here and every fucking day there is cars parked on it. Yesterday on the way to work this cunt in a van turned into it, ran over the plastic bollard. I almost hit the back of the van as I was booking it to work. Anyways I was raging and removed his mirror. Now I'm thinking about filling it full of rocks and then poring in concrete. It's pretty beat up (the bollard) as cunts just drive over it to park. I'm thinking if I wrap it in duct tape first it might hold. Anyone got any experience doing something like that.  BTW there is water super close and I have a garage right near it also.

Shit like this is why cyclists get such a bad rep. With that said: I think it sounds like a fucking great idea, haha.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3423 on: October 05, 2023, 04:15:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Shit like this is why cyclists get such a bad rep. With that said: I think it sounds like a fucking great idea, haha.

Dude turned off a side street over a plastic bollard into a clearly marked cycle lane (without slowing down or looking either way, thank fully there was no one coming head on as they would have been smoked). If we get a bad name for having ago at them so fucking be it. Cunt shouldn't be driving if he can't see what the fuck he was doing. Hahaha
I'm just hoping the concrete set's in time for the next radiator to hit it and explode. I'll snap some pics when I get it sorted!

baustin

• Rep: 118
« Reply #3424 on: October 05, 2023, 06:19:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Dude turned off a side street over a plastic bollard into a clearly marked cycle lane (without slowing down or looking either way, thank fully there was no one coming head on as they would have been smoked). If we get a bad name for having ago at them so fucking be it. Cunt shouldn't be driving if he can't see what the fuck he was doing. Hahaha
I'm just hoping the concrete set's in time for the next radiator to hit it and explode. I'll snap some pics when I get it sorted!

Hell yeah, love me some renegade tactical urbanism. Stay safe out there!

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3425 on: October 05, 2023, 06:43:20 AM »
then some lady on a three speed slams into it and smashes her face to pieces and they're like "who the hell would fill this up with concrete"
I think you would slam if you hit it as it is.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #3426 on: October 05, 2023, 06:45:30 AM »

I’ve ridden much of the west from south to north, but never done coast to coast. What are you wondering?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

addie pray

• Rep: -527
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #3427 on: October 05, 2023, 08:02:25 AM »
im just saying consider the world around you when embarking on petty revenge. yeah cars in the bike lane sucks but anyone whos ridden even half seriously in a city would tell you its a shitty but constant part of your commute/training loop/work. you could end up really fuckin someone up. you aren't the only person in this world.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • HANNIBAL!!
« Reply #3428 on: October 05, 2023, 06:00:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ve ridden much of the west from south to north, but never done coast to coast. What are you wondering?
ideal bike, ideal route from east to west, ideal type of year, what to definitely have, training etc.

TelethonJohn

• Rep: 60
« Reply #3429 on: October 06, 2023, 12:59:35 PM »
Stoked on the bike camping/bikepacking photos I've seen here. Here are a couple snaps from an overnighter I did with some friends a couple weeks ago. Happy riding, everyone!

bartlaser

• Rep: 16
« Reply #3430 on: October 06, 2023, 02:09:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Hell yeah, love me some renegade tactical urbanism. Stay safe out there!

Set up a game camera or run a surveillance van to capture it.  I'd like to see the driver's reaction.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #3431 on: October 06, 2023, 02:40:28 PM »
Stoked on the bike camping/bikepacking photos I've seen here. Here are a couple snaps from an overnighter I did with some friends a couple weeks ago. Happy riding, everyone!

Love it.  That's quite a setup.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3432 on: October 06, 2023, 02:58:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
ideal bike, ideal route from east to west, ideal type of year, what to definitely have, training etc.

My sincere opinion is that mid-90s mid-to-high end steel hardtail mountain bikes make the absolute best touring bikes. They have all the braze ons (attachment points) for racks and fenders, comfortably geometry for long distance riding (with appropriate modifications), and 26" tires and tubes are incredible common and easy to replace. But if you don't feel like doing that, and I understand if someone just wants to buy a bike off-the-peg, the gold standard touring bike is the Surly Long Haul Trucker. There are a lot of other good ones out there; if you search for "touring bike" on your local Facebook bicycle group or Craigslist, you'll see a lot of options. If it's made by a major maker (Trek, Kona, Specialized, Novara, etc), you're probably fine.

There are major east-to-west touring routes published by the Adventure Cycling Association. Their stuff is well-researched and generally considered to be industry standard. They are going to steer you towards state highways and other roads which some people might find too heavily trafficked. As a result, there are a lot of "gravel" routes. Look around and you'll see a zillion options. Remember that going east-to-west means you'll be riding against the prevailing winds, which means you're going to hit some vicious headwinds, especially on the plains. Plenty of people do it, it's not impossible or anything.

Best time of year is going to be late spring until early fall. You'll have a million different weather systems over the route, but generally most people don't want to do this mid-winter or during peak summer heat. The real best time is usually what works for your schedule, and of course which route you're taking (heading down south vs up north).

As for training, the best advice always and forever is to get the bike you're going to ride, and then spend months riding that bike exclusively. You don't have to spend months training with the 40 lbs of gear you're going to be carrying, but definitely test it that way. In general, be familiar with that bike and how it handles. Physically, ride your bike a lot. There's no running or weight lifting regimen which can substitute for actual time spend in the saddle.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3433 on: October 06, 2023, 02:59:04 PM »

That's a proper Riv.

buffalo hunter

• Rep: 35
« Reply #3434 on: October 06, 2023, 04:21:05 PM »

Twice across part of the USA self supported. One leisure and one race. Scratched both times due to injuries. Words can't describe the experience.

Skibb

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3435 on: October 07, 2023, 08:35:51 AM »

Fucking sick. With the Omnium too, how did that work out?

TelethonJohn

• Rep: 60
« Reply #3436 on: October 10, 2023, 12:00:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Fucking sick. With the Omnium too, how did that work out?

That was the Omnium's maiden voyage and unfortunately, my friend John tried to get rad on it on and snake bit the front tube. Getting the 20" bead reseated was a Herculean act that couldn't be done without shredding the tube with the tire lever. I think he has it set up tubeless with a folding tire now. That bike's sick though.

breezer

• Rep: -16
« Reply #3437 on: October 11, 2023, 01:46:33 AM »
omnium content

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -67
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3438 on: October 11, 2023, 07:41:29 AM »
omnium content

thats a brutal looking climb

is there any advantage to the omnium vs traditional racks/panniers,
or just an aesthetic choice?
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

breezer

• Rep: -16
« Reply #3439 on: October 11, 2023, 12:28:15 PM »
Allan rides an omnium for work......he wanted to test the limits of what is possible

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
« Reply #3440 on: October 11, 2023, 12:44:51 PM »

Bad drivers suck, but what you’re proposing could fucking kill someone. Manslaughter. Not saying the couldn’t kill you either, because they can. I reckon we have all been almost killed if not hit and taken out by cars. I have. But making a hidden concrete block isn’t cool for too many reasons.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1589
« Reply #3441 on: October 11, 2023, 10:22:32 PM »
How would you rank yourself on the asshole scale when: 1) driving 2) biking 3) skateboarding 4) online

I think for me I’m the biggest asshole online, then driving, then biking, then skateboarding……obviously when a car almost kills me, I get pissed….

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3442 on: October 11, 2023, 11:46:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bad drivers suck, but what you’re proposing could fucking kill someone. Manslaughter. Not saying the couldn’t kill you either, because they can. I reckon we have all been almost killed if not hit and taken out by cars. I have. But making a hidden concrete block isn’t cool for too many reasons.

Mate it is a bike lane only, there is a sidewalk/footpath on one side with metal bollards and a curb dividing it, then a 2m garden with curbs and trees and a road, i'll get a pic after work. No one will get hurt, like i said its a hard plastic bollard if you hit it on a bike you're eating shit. I just want to stop the fuckwits in cars that drive on it. Only thing that will get hurt is some turds bumper or radiator.
Edit:

You can also see where someone removed some of the metal ones on the footpath. So even if the plastic one was metal they could just drive over the footpath on to it. Behind me is the same set up.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 12:11:54 AM by Síota »

baustin

• Rep: 118
« Reply #3443 on: October 14, 2023, 11:50:50 AM »
If someone drives fast enough into that to kill or injure themselves they’d honestly deserve it for how much they were endangering others. All the beat up bollards on our bike lanes really shows you how much everyone overestimates their driving skills. Most people actually don’t deserve to hold a drivers license

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #3444 on: October 14, 2023, 01:28:24 PM »
Tried cyclecross the other day, was pretty fun. Took a few tumbles and dropped a chain or two. I can see the appeal and it’s a fun test of bike handling. I guess it’s cross season now or something, so hopefully get out a couple more times before it snows.

Skibb

« Reply #3445 on: October 15, 2023, 12:55:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Mate it is a bike lane only, there is a sidewalk/footpath on one side with metal bollards and a curb dividing it, then a 2m garden with curbs and trees and a road, i'll get a pic after work. No one will get hurt, like i said its a hard plastic bollard if you hit it on a bike you're eating shit. I just want to stop the fuckwits in cars that drive on it. Only thing that will get hurt is some turds bumper or radiator.
Edit:

You can also see where someone removed some of the metal ones on the footpath. So even if the plastic one was metal they could just drive over the footpath on to it. Behind me is the same set up.

Ohhhh fuck that, people are driving THERE?! Damn, I completely fucking get your rage man. I think the concrete bollards sound like some grade-A guerilla urban planning. Unless they’re plastic to make sure emergency vehicles can access the buildings?

omnium content
Those pictures man… that looks like an adventure and a half.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3446 on: October 16, 2023, 08:59:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Edit:

I know this isn't the point and sorry to detract from your argument (with which I almost totally agree), but how are you not skating that little bump on the curb next to the bus stop?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3447 on: October 16, 2023, 09:02:24 AM »
If someone drives fast enough into that to kill or injure themselves they’d honestly deserve it for how much they were endangering others. All the beat up bollards on our bike lanes really shows you how much everyone overestimates their driving skills. Most people actually don’t deserve to hold a drivers license

https://twitter.com/WorldBollard?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3448 on: October 17, 2023, 07:38:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Edit:

[close]

I know this isn't the point and sorry to detract from your argument (with which I almost totally agree), but how are you not skating that little bump on the curb next to the bus stop?

Dude I have never noticed it before lol! Will check it out soon.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1589
« Reply #3449 on: October 17, 2023, 10:20:44 AM »
Honestly I try to apply what I’ve learned as a skater and while it’s hard sometimes, as cars can kill you…..I try and not take things personally and be cool about things. I think I sort of have it easy here though as we have lots of separated bike lanes and options…..

Not being able to skate, a birthday and alternating between 30 year old bikes….I picked up the cheapest new gravel bike I could find a Kona Rove, it’s pretty fun.  Crazy what people spend on bikes……