Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 547257 times)

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #4500 on: March 15, 2022, 09:52:08 AM »
Crossposting from the set-up thread:

Blowing through way too many decks recently but I couldn’t resist:

Heroin 9.5” egg
Ti 169s with Riptides
57 mm Radial Fulls
Swiss
Mafia grip
Half Cabs

listentoaheartbeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #4501 on: March 16, 2022, 03:26:16 AM »

Heroin 9.5” egg
Ti 169s with Riptides
57 mm Radial Fulls
Swiss
Mafia grip
Half Cabs

How are wide 57 mm wheels on Titaniums without risers? I’d be pretty concerned about bad wheel bite. Do the wells make such a big difference?

animalflesh

« Reply #4502 on: March 16, 2022, 05:12:28 AM »
The wheel wells make as much of a difference as like an 1/8 riser

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4503 on: March 16, 2022, 06:12:59 AM »
Expand Quote

Heroin 9.5” egg
Ti 169s with Riptides
57 mm Radial Fulls
Swiss
Mafia grip
Half Cabs
[close]

How are wide 57 mm wheels on Titaniums without risers? I’d be pretty concerned about bad wheel bite. Do the wells make such a big difference?

The wheel wells make as much of a difference as like an 1/8 riser

They sure do make a big difference!

When I cut some very rough ones out on a few boards just to test, I was amazed at how much more clearance I had, maybe even to almost a quarter of an inch difference with the front wheels especially (almost five layers of ply routed out just in the right places) but I could turn so much deeper than I normally would and still not have any issues.

That was with big wide 60mm wheels on boards with standard Indy trucks (both 159s on an AH Huffer and 169s on an older Black Label 9.5 deck) and minimal to no risers, when I would usually have up to a quarter inch riser on them with fairly loose trucks as cruiser boards with those wheels.

That meant that I could ride those how I usually have my normal boards set up, no risers with standard Indy trucks on smaller wheels (between 56mm, but often worn down to 52mm or so) and the board would still pop pretty much the same and not feel like it was on stilts.

Cutting your own out takes a little practice but you can always give it a go on old boards first, with almost anything that will cut or wear away the wood.  I used an angle grinder, so it wasn't all that pretty but it did the job.

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4504 on: March 16, 2022, 07:28:06 AM »
Expand Quote

Heroin 9.5” egg
Ti 169s with Riptides
57 mm Radial Fulls
Swiss
Mafia grip
Half Cabs
[close]

Not sure if anyone else is in this category but I don’t think I’ve ever not gotten wheelbite on a board in recent memory - even on smaller wheels.  I’ve never had a issue with getting smoked cause I got horrible wheelbite on the Indy Ti’s though.  I skated this setup for a little bit yesterday and you do noticeably feel that you can carve a little deeper with the wheel wells. I haven’t skated risers in a long time but I’d imagine it’s a pretty similar feeling. 

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4505 on: March 17, 2022, 05:03:23 AM »

I see the Grosso 9.25 board is back in Tactics (and I guess other shops soon enough too) in the same shape again.

Normal price too, not stupid crazy collectors price type of thing and lots of them, if anyone is looking for one.

https://www.tactics.com/anti-hero/grosso-school-of-sk18-925-double-driller-skateboard-deck/blue

Hi res image here:

https://www.tactics.com/a/dih8/1b/anti-hero-grosso-school-of-sk18-925-double-driller-skateboard-deck.webp

Small pic here:

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #4506 on: March 17, 2022, 08:01:21 PM »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4507 on: March 18, 2022, 10:27:01 PM »
I just got a shape in boys
9in 32.25in 15in WB

https://losersatl.myshopify.com/products/joy-deck?variant=42054739361961

That looks like fun!

What is the width over each of the trucks?

Looks like about 8.8 at the front and 8.6 to 8.7 at the back.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540

disclosed

• Rep: 183
« Reply #4509 on: March 20, 2022, 01:19:18 AM »
i've finally given in an bought a Dead Dave. i tried getting the original Mutant, and then tried to get the first pro deck, but both never got to stores here cause of Covid issues.
then after that i kinda strayed away from getting the shape and buying tons of other shapes, now its readily available everywhere since the Video City drop. knowing i'll love the Dead Dave, i started getting commitment issues. the Dead Dave will most likely be a shape to stick by, and even be the shape to ride both street and transition on, making me able to go back to having one setup. probably making my skating a lot more consistent.
but now i still got a stack of both street and transition decks to last me another year..

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4510 on: March 20, 2022, 12:46:50 PM »
Went to the park with my orange eagle with the intention of just taking it easy. Someone asked me to play skate, I said yes, and I was able to flip it around way more than i thought I could. Almost landed a couple flip tricks I haven't landed in over 15 years. 15" wheelbase, Aces, and 57mm wheels...  just so far outside my normal range of measurements but it worked. It was also exhausting.

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #4511 on: March 21, 2022, 02:51:44 AM »
Went to the park with my orange eagle with the intention of just taking it easy. Someone asked me to play skate, I said yes, and I was able to flip it around way more than i thought I could. Almost landed a couple flip tricks I haven't landed in over 15 years. 15" wheelbase, Aces, and 57mm wheels...  just so far outside my normal range of measurements but it worked. It was also exhausting.

That shape is so nice, i havent rode mine yet but I'm on the white eagle right now and I'm never stepping on a deck smaller than that again.

Recently found this Swedish brand that does a board with 9x33 so in hyped to support some local ish stuff. 90€ for a anti hero or any dlx is steeep. 75 feels like the norm atleast.

Who else makes boards with this shape/dims? Hockey, krooked and maybe real? Its fun to switch up the graphic sometimes.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4512 on: March 21, 2022, 03:20:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That shape is so nice, i havent rode mine yet but I'm on the white eagle right now and I'm never stepping on a deck smaller than that again.

Recently found this Swedish brand that does a board with 9x33 so in hyped to support some local ish stuff. 90€ for a anti hero or any dlx is steeep. 75 feels like the norm atleast.

Who else makes boards with this shape/dims? Hockey, krooked and maybe real? Its fun to switch up the graphic sometimes.

Not sure if you get Black Label over there, but they also came out in a 9 x 33 and same wood / shape as Antihero too.

There are a few others from EU brands but I haven't seen any in person so don't know wood, measurements or concave.

DefyGravityGuy

• Rep: 9
« Reply #4513 on: March 21, 2022, 08:08:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not sure if you get Black Label over there, but they also came out in a 9 x 33 and same wood / shape as Antihero too.

There are a few others from EU brands but I haven't seen any in person so don't know wood, measurements or concave.

We do get the Label here in the EU, but it also is around 85/90 euros a deck.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4514 on: March 21, 2022, 10:26:42 AM »
Where in EU are you guys paying 90€ for Antihero decks? 69€ seems to be the standard price in Finland and there are sales around the year if 69€ is too steep for you so you can get the stuff cheaper and stock up too.

disclosed

« Reply #4515 on: March 21, 2022, 10:54:42 AM »
Where in EU are you guys paying 90€ for Antihero decks? 69€ seems to be the standard price in Finland and there are sales around the year if 69€ is too steep for you so you can get the stuff cheaper and stock up too.
yeah as far as i know Anti Hero or any DLX for that matter is still cheap, my local got their pops for only 60 euro.
bakerboys stuff is on the 90 range.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #4516 on: March 23, 2022, 10:08:34 AM »
@MysticalTypeExperience  @Argyle @jsettle I know this is almost a month later but thanks for the congrats fellow dads. Still trying hard to find time to skate especially since my job is based on Central European Time when I live in New Jersey so I just don't sleep really at all but I'm always home with her and if she naps I'm able to get out back and skate a little if my wife doesn't need me to do anything and I'm not working. Just getting in that routine and figuring it out, but it's been fun. I know this has nothing to do with any set ups or anything, but I just wanted to say thanks.

For sure dude, it's real rough at first. You can think about starting sleep training around 4 months old so you can start sleeping again. My wife and I took turns sleeping in the same room as the baby every other night so one of us could sleep all night.

As they get older it gets easier to find time for sesh's, especially if it's your only/main hobby. Get a rail/box/etc at home too so you can do that in the driveway while they run around when they're older.

oliknight

« Reply #4517 on: March 23, 2022, 10:17:37 AM »
Really want to try out one of those Frog Loomer boards or one of the new Jesse Alba shaped decks, anyone got one? Would love to see one set up :)

Qebrus

• Rep: 15
« Reply #4518 on: March 23, 2022, 04:33:28 PM »
Really want to try out one of those Frog Loomer boards or one of the new Jesse Alba shaped decks, anyone got one? Would love to see one set up :)

I’ve just had one delivered to my new house so haven’t had a chance to check it out yet. Was hoping to pair with some Ace 77 but they might be too wide with the tapered tail. Will report back in a couple days!

oliknight

« Reply #4519 on: March 23, 2022, 04:35:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Amazing! Thanks :)
I’d probably be putting some indy 169s on it
Looking forward to your update 👍
I’ve just had one delivered to my new house so haven’t had a chance to check it out yet. Was hoping to pair with some Ace 77 but they might be too wide with the tapered tail. Will report back in a couple days!

animalflesh

« Reply #4520 on: March 26, 2022, 06:08:58 PM »

Vision 10.25
Lil jawns
1/4 risers
159 cast hollow
Big balls
Slimeballs 60mm 95a
Flypaper

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
« Reply #4521 on: March 26, 2022, 06:29:07 PM »

Vision 10.25
Lil jawns
1/4 risers
159 cast hollow
Big balls
Slimeballs 60mm 95a
Flypaper

ALWAYS WITH THE HEAT
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #4522 on: March 26, 2022, 07:13:15 PM »

Vision 10.25
Lil jawns
1/4 risers
159 cast hollow
Big balls
Slimeballs 60mm 95a
Flypaper
Sweet. Didn’t even know flypaper was still around.
Oh, the new leafs are in shops now ikydk.

disclosed

« Reply #4523 on: March 27, 2022, 12:11:00 PM »
i've finally given in an bought a Dead Dave. i tried getting the original Mutant, and then tried to get the first pro deck, but both never got to stores here cause of Covid issues.
then after that i kinda strayed away from getting the shape and buying tons of other shapes, now its readily available everywhere since the Video City drop. knowing i'll love the Dead Dave, i started getting commitment issues. the Dead Dave will most likely be a shape to stick by, and even be the shape to ride both street and transition on, making me able to go back to having one setup. probably making my skating a lot more consistent.
but now i still got a stack of both street and transition decks to last me another year..

update:

didn't plan to ride it this soon but i set it up today since the shape i was currently riding really didn't feel right to me. couln't get used to it.
had a little curb session this evening and instantly felt comfortable on my board again. didn't have to get used to it, unlike the other board i was riding before. i can see this becomming my go to shape, so i can uactually stop sabotaging myself by switching shapes and experimenting all the time. just need to test it out in transition before i can really say so. but i doubt it is a problem in this board.

slightly illegal grip job here.
Fos, if youre reading this. those big ass top graphics are sick. but i can't bring myself to cover them and i'm not a fan of clear grip. your're hurting me..

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4524 on: March 27, 2022, 03:06:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

update:

didn't plan to ride it this soon but i set it up today since the shape i was currently riding really didn't feel right to me. couln't get used to it.
had a little curb session this evening and instantly felt comfortable on my board again. didn't have to get used to it, unlike the other board i was riding before. i can see this becomming my go to shape, so i can uactually stop sabotaging myself by switching shapes and experimenting all the time. just need to test it out in transition before i can really say so. but i doubt it is a problem in this board.

Fos, if youre reading this. those big ass top graphics are sick. but i can't bring myself to cover them and i'm not a fan of clear grip. your're hurting me..

Sick!  You skating that with 169s? I have a Dead Dave mutant at home that I had set up a month or two ago on Indy 215s and I kind of put it on ice cause I wasn’t feeling the 215s.  Is it noticeably magic-carpety on the 169s?  I’d like to give the deck another shot. 

disclosed

« Reply #4525 on: March 27, 2022, 03:30:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

update:

[close]

Sick!  You skating that with 169s? I have a Dead Dave mutant at home that I had set up a month or two ago on Indy 215s and I kind of put it on ice cause I wasn’t feeling the 215s.  Is it noticeably magic-carpety on the 169s?  I’d like to give the deck another shot.

yeah those are 169's. its very magic carpet. but i found out i like that. i've been riding the 169's on boards that were 9.5/10" over the front truck so they were allways atleast a little magic carpet. that last deck i didn't like was very tapered, even at the front trucks. so the trucks were flush and it started messing with my head. i felt like i shoulnt be seeing that much wheel every time i looked down. and this might be mental but i felt i missed some leverage for slappys or even steeper turning.

i used to skate 215 untill last summer/fall when i went back to 169's they just feel a lot quicker to me. and i was terrible at locking in on metal coping on the 215's. slipping all over them. definitly not going back to those ether.

i'd say if you got some 169's laying around its worth a shot.

Qebrus

• Rep: 15
« Reply #4526 on: March 28, 2022, 06:32:12 AM »

Oops two new setups

Heroin Curb Killer 10”
AF1 77
Snot 54mm
Heroin glowsticks
Big balls

Alltimers predator 9.25”
169s
Super juice 55
Heroin glowsticks
Big balls

Proper excited to get ripping on the 77s might have to play around with tightness getting more wheel bite than I thought with em loose.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #4527 on: March 28, 2022, 10:13:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

update:

[close]

[close]

yeah those are 169's. its very magic carpet. but i found out i like that. i've been riding the 169's on boards that were 9.5/10" over the front truck so they were allways atleast a little magic carpet. that last deck i didn't like was very tapered, even at the front trucks. so the trucks were flush and it started messing with my head. i felt like i shoulnt be seeing that much wheel every time i looked down. and this might be mental but i felt i missed some leverage for slappys or even steeper turning.

i used to skate 215 untill last summer/fall when i went back to 169's they just feel a lot quicker to me. and i was terrible at locking in on metal coping on the 215's. slipping all over them. definitly not going back to those ether.

i'd say if you got some 169's laying around its worth a shot.

I’m running 10” trucks right now, and the comments about quickness and especially locking in on vs 169’s are spot on. The turn takes a little adjustment, but there’s something about locking in that far from the center line of the board that my reptile brain just doesn’t abide.  8-9” trucks? No problem. 10” is just outside of what muscle memory identifies as safe. I’m trying to skate stuff more before switching it out, so I’m sticking with 10’s for at least this deck. I think wheel choice is key, too.  If I want to run 169’s on a deck that’s well over 9” at the back truck, I’d go conical fulls on the small end or a reissue type wheel like a slime ball.

FacetSquared

• Rep: 7
« Reply #4528 on: March 29, 2022, 05:56:11 AM »
Indy 159s or 169s on Dane1 (or whatever comparable size truck from the truck company you skate), and extra emphasis on WHYYY? What do you enjoy or not enjoy about the setup? Also, I skate 53mm conical fulls, and I do flip my board a lot!

Apologies to whomever already answered this, but there are so many posts and I’ve looked through so many. I really appreciate anyone who gets back to this. Hope y’all are well!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 06:03:12 AM by FacetSquared »

oliknight

« Reply #4529 on: March 29, 2022, 06:00:05 AM »
Indy 159s or 169s on Dane1 (or whatever comparable size truck from the truck company you skate), and why? Also, I skate 53mm conical fulls, and I do flip my board a lot!

Apologies to whomever already answered this, but there are so many threads and I’ve looked through so many. I really appreciate anyone who gets back to this. Hope y’all are well!

as with everything on here it’s sooo subjective but my personal preference is either 159s with 60mm OJs or 169 with 53mm spitfire conicals