Author Topic: Encounters with Pro Skaters  (Read 148318 times)

ivegotlevitation

Re: Encounters with Pro Skaters
« Reply #600 on: December 28, 2011, 10:16:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Kerry Getz - He was super mellow when not skating. Then he tried to bs nosegrind this 7 stair long ledge but it was super windy so he kept trying many times and got super pissed so i didnt want to disturb him hah!

Paul shier - Nice guy talkin and shit pretty social.

Jason dill - Super nice and when a friend told him (who is now 25) that he was his favourite skater through his teens he was a little bitter about time passing really fast.

AVE - Nice guy even though he looks like he is pissed off all the time.

Arto Saari - We were drinkin beer down a skate spot late at night and a blonde guy and anothe guy approach us and ask us about spots to film and shit. A friend talks with them and he returns and he is like "dude this was Arto Saari" and we were all like WTF?? He was alone with a filmer checkin our city while the rest of his team was in another city near. Next day we showed  them a 16 stair handrail and he f/s boardslid it in three tries like it was nothing. He was cool too he would answer any questions as like why flip dropped bastien salabanzi and everything about his former teammates in flip(before going to AWS).
[close]

so why did flip drop bastien salabanzi?

because he wouldn't kickflip back lip el toro. there's an interview with him about it.

Truetalk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #601 on: December 28, 2011, 11:22:59 AM »
Living in SF & being around the dlx warehouse often, i see tons of pros daily.  Busenitz, ramondetta, mcentire to name a few...

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • middleweight lurker
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #602 on: December 28, 2011, 03:28:19 PM »
Mr. Snickers tweeted next to biebs.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #603 on: December 28, 2011, 03:33:39 PM »
Met Matt Rodriguez skating around when I was younger visiting some family. Since we lived in the midwest and were out of state I was pretty stoked. First pro to see outside of a demo. I was in maybe the 8th grade? He was a good dude and would chat with the little shits as well as the older dudes. Last time I saw a pro in person until I graduated college.

Buddy G

« Reply #604 on: December 28, 2011, 03:43:33 PM »
Expand Quote

so why did flip drop bastien salabanzi?
[close]

because he wouldn't kickflip back lip el toro. there's an interview with him about it.

yeah that. and because he punched rowley in the face.

degobra

• Rep: -2
    • Flickr. avatar image
« Reply #605 on: December 28, 2011, 04:55:42 PM »
the foundation team( when leo, matt, and that other guy i cant remember rode for them) had a demo for fast foward a while back, really shitty ramps and flatbars scatterd around. that was the first time i met corey duffel he ended up not skating the whole time while his TM bitched at him.he was really nice, bought me a coke and gave me his whole setup i was really stoked at the time, also when i realized leos a dick but i was pretty little so whatever i guess.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #606 on: July 07, 2014, 04:49:48 PM »
had two separate Vans video encounters this weekend.  was in Long Beach and saw Ray Barbee filming a trick.   Greg Hunt filming.  John Fitzgerald was there too.  fanned out and talked to Ray who was totally cool as expected

In Glassell Park on Sunday saw AVE filming a trick at that bank to fence thing at that auto parts store.  No Greg Hunt but Atiba was taking photos.  I didn't approach AVE as he was in the heat of the battle, and also not as approachable as Ray Barbee.  couldn't resist with Ray though

the end
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 735
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #607 on: July 07, 2014, 05:13:43 PM »
floop with the three year bump.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #608 on: July 07, 2014, 05:17:12 PM »
saw nyjah skating a 10 stair handrail at city college in downtown sd last december. did a fucking perfect tre noseslide down it.
always see tommy sandoval around town in the most random places
met jamie thomas and tommy sandoval when i was really little at some skatepark they were skating at
also met some of the sk8mafia guys in downtown sd

SHARPSHOOTER

« Reply #609 on: July 07, 2014, 05:17:56 PM »
We need some girls in here. Make it a Sexual Encounters with Pro Skaters thread. Now that'd be interesting. Does Jereme Rogers really fit magnums?!?!?!

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #610 on: July 07, 2014, 07:01:51 PM »
also met beagle(best dude ever) and sheffey at the shep dawgs premiere

arthurspooner

• Rep: 9
« Reply #611 on: July 07, 2014, 07:06:58 PM »
I met Ed Templeton while he was filming stuff for the Kids in Emerica video at Chino Park.

I think I was like eleven or twelve. He had come back to his car to put a new shoelace in his shoe. I was super embarrassed and scared, but I had to walk up and talk to him because he was my favorite skaterboarder. I went up and spoke with him for a bit. He asked why I came to the park that day, I said it was my birthday, and he wished me a happy birthday. He was super cool. Spoke with me for like 10 minutes. Then offered to sign something for me which I still have hanging in my room.

McGooch

« Reply #612 on: July 07, 2014, 07:49:28 PM »
Saw Biebel smack the shit out of a kid for stealing the board toss deck from another kid. full handed, no mercy slap to the cheek.

Mccrank did a fs 360 flip over a jersey barrier 2nd try. it was glorious.

Koston was a dick. Barely skated and didn't sign autographs. He was on his phone the whole demo.

Kid in front of me at autograph signing spilt MJ's red powerade all over his fresh white "no photos" tee. He was furious and refused to sign anything until he got some napkins.

Joe Pesci

« Reply #613 on: July 07, 2014, 08:09:53 PM »
paul shier - more talkative and outgoing
chico brenes - literally said nothing
luis tolentino - cool dude, was really stoked on a lot of photos of spots i had in my phone
marty murawski - nice dude easy to talk to
brad cromer - awkward, maybe not against talking to random people but indifferent
josh matthews - really cool laid back dude
jimmy carlin - more serious than you would think, as least he was when he was here. asked if the trick he was trying at a spot was too gay, and said that he tries to limit the amount of gay tricks he does in his parts
kyle frederick - seems like youve known him forever when you talk to him
chris cole - cool dude, just not talkative. invited us to skate with them in the omit demo they were doing
peter ramondetta - met him on an omit trip, then later again on a huf trip and he literally didnt say anything either time

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #614 on: July 07, 2014, 08:14:48 PM »
Showed up at the park and the Indy Team was there on some tour. They had a lot of dudes any it looked like shit was going down. I did a lttle warm up run then skated up to the deck where an oldhead local was standing next to two other oldheads I didn't recognize.

Someone does something gnar and I give a little whistle or tailsmack and then say to the guy I knew "Sick! Although I was kinda hoping for it to be empty today..." The guy next to him cracks a big smile and says "Steve. Nice to meet ya!" and shakes my hand. At which point I embarrassingly realize this guy was with the Indy crew and the next guy over was Salba. I actually didn't know at time he was Steve Olson because he wasn't so much of an internet presence then. I almost said "Godoy?" but instead simply introduced myself and felt a little dumb.

Ended up being a fun session.

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #615 on: July 07, 2014, 08:17:55 PM »
one time shaun white beamed me aboard his stretch hummer and probed me in the fuckin mouth

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #616 on: July 07, 2014, 08:23:50 PM »
Do the curtains match the drapes? 
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #617 on: July 07, 2014, 10:38:28 PM »
saw mike wright smoke a laced pcp/weed joint at the brookyln banks 1998

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #618 on: July 08, 2014, 05:13:25 AM »
I met Ed Templeton while he was filming stuff for the Kids in Emerica video at Chino Park.

I think I was like eleven or twelve. He had come back to his car to put a new shoelace in his shoe. I was super embarrassed and scared, but I had to walk up and talk to him because he was my favorite skaterboarder. I went up and spoke with him for a bit. He asked why I came to the park that day, I said it was my birthday, and he wished me a happy birthday. He was super cool. Spoke with me for like 10 minutes. Then offered to sign something for me which I still have hanging in my room.
Pretty sure Ed was the first pro I ever met. He and Justin Girard were at the bowl we used to skate after school. They gave us stickers and we were stoked. I think Ed was only 16 and it was his first trip to Australia, there were no demos they were just sent by New Deal to skate.

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #619 on: July 08, 2014, 06:48:07 AM »
-I've chatted with Dill twice, both times it seemed pretty hard for him to form a coherent thought.

-Jerry Hsu was nice as fuck and was giving kids free Chocolate boards right around the time he got on.

-Chris Pfanner came around introducing himself like we didn't know who he was, dude was crazy humble, then he proceeded to skate into the dish at Stoner

-Ray Barbee smiles forever told me he liked my nosegrinds

-I made a comment as to the niceness of the weather, Heath looked at me, didn't respond and then just dropped in.

-Leo Romero is out of control, drank a 5th of what looked like vodka throughout the session.

-Foundation team minus Duffel showed up to the park one day but they were a bunch of goobers, especially Merlino.

-Seva just sits outside the fence practicing flat ground

-Reynolds spoke at a NA/AA meeting they hold right next to the park then came over and sessioned, un-fucking-believably humble and nice

-Saw Kalis at Jkwon a couple times but never spoke to him, just based on how hyped he gets off other peoples' tricks you can tell he;s pretty down to earth.
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #620 on: July 08, 2014, 07:09:15 AM »

-Reynolds spoke at a NA/AA meeting they hold right next to the park then came over and sessioned, un-fucking-believably humble and nice

Dude, your not meant to talk about that, that's what the second A means.

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #621 on: July 08, 2014, 07:22:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Dude, your not meant to talk about that, that's what the second A means.

Haha the way the sober kids at the skate park go on and on and on and on and on about it, there's no anonymity involved. 
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #622 on: July 08, 2014, 07:54:56 AM »
was skating the basos ledges in barcelona whenthe cliche team showed up, Jesus Fernandez asked for a sip of my friends coke my freind oblidged and passed him the freshly bought 2l bottle. Jesus proceeded to drink the entire two litres in like 3 gulps and passed the bottle back hahaha i was in stitches

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #623 on: July 08, 2014, 08:24:52 AM »
Most of them are cool

apple yard is funny, said that he "aint about no J O B" also at the time talked how he couldn't stand the new Flip team and that he wasn't down with all the David Gonzalez 666 stuff.

christian hosoi gave me his card and said to call him anytime to talk about god and invited me to church.

dave duncan gave me his card and invited me to party anytime and that he would sign any of his alva stuff and dagger stuff. also randomly gave me a case of rockstars

marc johnson super rad dude all about being grateful and very talkative

ed templeton super nice took a picture of my kid and his mom for his HB daily pier photo before he fucked his leg up.

chet thomas super nice and his chick was taller than him.

adam dyet believe it or not super nice but seems a little ate up from the partying

dill on all occasions really humble and honest. def speaks his mind

ellington super humble and very grateful

SALBA once you talk to him for a bit really nice and just stoked on skating and music

jeron wilson nice and quiet

not pro but Nick Diamond totally standoffish super arrogant but his brother is really mellow and laid-back

lizard king pure comedy and nice

sammy baptista down to earth

rick howard such a rad guy invited me to get drinks with him and his friend justin at redondo beach pier

Grosso sour sauce

jon lucero funny and all about music

omar-bromar

geoff rowley always seems uptight and confrontational

the list could go on.....

Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1971
« Reply #624 on: July 08, 2014, 08:48:13 AM »
Most of them are cool

apple yard is funny, said that he "aint about no J O B" also at the time talked how he couldn't stand the new Flip team and that he wasn't down with all the David Gonzalez 666 stuff.

This is awesome.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #625 on: July 08, 2014, 09:35:56 AM »
floop with the three year bump.

fuck it.  a Ray Barbee street skating in the wild sighting is worthy of a 3 year bump imo
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #626 on: July 08, 2014, 09:59:04 AM »
I was pretty hammered at a bar and the supra team was in town. They all came in and I don't remember what exactly I said to Ellington, but gave me a solid bro side hug and had his arm over my shoulder like we'd been friends for years. I think it involved Alice Cooper. ;

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 428
« Reply #627 on: July 08, 2014, 10:20:56 AM »
My mom used to pay Tony Tieu $20 to give me skate lessons when I was like 10.
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -460
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #628 on: July 08, 2014, 10:23:46 AM »
met Dill 4-5 years ago, dude was super nice and took a picture with me but this guy he was with was being a dick, kept asking me if this was for some scavenger hunt or something in a really sarcastic way. didn't look like he skated.

not me but my friend's mom went up to big black at a DC demo in 2003 and told him he should be playing football and asked him what he was doing around all these little skateboarders and he lol'd with her and seemed really cool. I think she bought him a hotdog or something too

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

EricF

« Reply #629 on: July 08, 2014, 10:30:06 AM »
A few months back on my 22nd birthday I went to a bar with some friends and Jake Johnson was there. Homie was super hammered and shamelessly hitting on my girlfriend at the time. She took me aside and said she felt uncomfortable and I said something along the lines of "just roll with it... the guy had such a sick part in the Chapman video."

Gerwer is tight. Super nice dude and always has a good attitude.

Elissa Steamer is also just as cool. I used to see her at the library (R.I.P) killing it. Last I saw her was at the new Soma park.

I've seen Busenitz a lot lately and I havent talked to him. Guy's too busy murdering SF.

Not a pro but my brother almost got in a fistfight with that ginger kid Jordan Maxham outside of Talent Skatepark in Burlington VT about 5 years ago. Homie made a crack to me and my brother about having MA license plates and my brother just wasnt having any of it. It got broken up before it got really ugly. Fuck that kid.