Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 547047 times)

shingles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -61
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #570 on: December 18, 2019, 11:25:56 PM »
who are some pros that ride big boards? footy looks so good on them ;D
off the top of my head im thinking winkowski, franky villani, nick boserio, dane brady, and GT. anyone im missing?
gonna be making a compilation vid

By GT you mean Grant Taylor? I always thought he just rides a regular 8.25
support your local ramp-tramp

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #571 on: December 18, 2019, 11:27:46 PM »
Expand Quote
off the top of my head im thinking winkowski, franky villani, nick boserio, dane brady, and GT. anyone im missing?
[close]

think he rides a 9 on tranny? definitely doesnt look like anything in the 8 range
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

shingles

« Reply #572 on: December 18, 2019, 11:35:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

think he rides a 9 on tranny? definitely doesnt look like anything in the 8 range

I just looked up some of his pro-models. Most of them were 8.5 and one was 8.625... I guess if he rode a bigger board they would make a big one with his name on it.

EDIT:
also, what's "big" today. I still can remember the times when 8.5 was a big board and 8.6 was huge. Everybody called my 9' board a cellardoor
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 11:41:46 PM by shingles »

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #573 on: December 18, 2019, 11:44:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I just looked up some of his pro-models. Most of them were 8.5 and one was 8.625... I guess if he rode a bigger board they would make a big one with his name on it.

might be wrong on GTs inclusion but paul schmitt said the "pro" decks and what they actually ride have no correlation, just marketing outside of a few examples
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

shingles

« Reply #574 on: December 18, 2019, 11:49:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

might be wrong on GTs inclusion but paul schmitt said the "pro" decks and what they actually ride have no correlation, just marketing outside of a few examples

Yes, I know what you are saying, but I think he rides an 8.25 - 8.5. The boards don't look too big on him.
To be honest I always wondered what size boards he rides

shingles

« Reply #575 on: December 19, 2019, 12:03:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yes, I know what you are saying, but I think he rides an 8.25 - 8.5. The boards don't look too big on him.
To be honest I always wondered what size boards he rides

Here he rides a Cardiel board:

I looked up the board and I am pretty sure its this one:

8.43 x 32.57

They could have printed this graphic in other sizes, but it really looks like an 8.5ish board

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #576 on: December 21, 2019, 06:58:51 AM »
Expand Quote
^If you want one of those, hit up the local that sells Krooked and work something out. Those'll be hard to find. They made 300 of those Evil Beemer shapes and they were gone pretty fast. I dunno about that shape or how dude skates such a long ass wheelbase but good luck in your journey.

I kinda sweating that Drehobl shaped deck though.
[close]

yeah they all seem to be priced as art pieces so ill have to wait and hope for a reissue.

that new drehobl is one of the better looking graphics in recent memory id snag one if i was in the market for a new shaped deck
they had em

slappy50

• Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
niggling

[/quote]

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #578 on: December 21, 2019, 08:31:41 PM »
andy anderson deck......
https://www.longboarderlabs.com/product/powell-peralta-pro-andy-anderson-crane-flight-deck-8-9-13-x-32-8/

opinions?
i dunno. I’m too traditional. I guess you’d call that shape progressive... I’m all set. and all this marketing bullshit kinda gives me the wrong vibes... “ You’ll get the feeling and power, and begin to realize you can do things while riding a Flight deck that cannot be done on a standard 7-ply deck.” 

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #579 on: December 21, 2019, 10:53:21 PM »
i dunno. I’m too traditional. I guess you’d call that shape progressive... I’m all set. and all this marketing bullshit kinda gives me the wrong vibes... “ You’ll get the feeling and power, and begin to realize you can do things while riding a Flight deck that cannot be done on a standard 7-ply deck.”

[/quote]
“ You’ll get the feeling and power, and begin to realize you can do things while riding a Flight deck that cannot be done on a standard 7-ply deck.”
[/quote]

like wearing a helmet

they have to do all this marketing because its a single deck priced at $130

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #580 on: December 21, 2019, 11:07:45 PM »
andy anderson deck......
https://www.longboarderlabs.com/product/powell-peralta-pro-andy-anderson-crane-flight-deck-8-9-13-x-32-8/

opinions?

Looks odd and the flight graphics are ugly as hell.
But the dimensions seem nice and a light but large deck seems great! I’d love to try one, also I am sure riding it the shape is not going to look bad, the full squarish nose looks sweet!

Just too broke to risk an investment like that. Also I am the opposite of a tech rider so I don’t think it pays up to spend that money on a deck.

I love that they try to make progress in construction and riding. Andy for sure is on another level.

PMA

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #581 on: December 22, 2019, 07:36:50 AM »
andy anderson deck......

opinions?

Having watched some of Anderson’s videos about it, I really like that he has a clear picture of what each feature of the deck is supposed to do. It’s kind of cool that there are technical purposes for different parts of the shape.

I like his skating and the way he thinks about skateboarding. I think the graphics are not my style and the price is out of my range, but if people are buying it, then I hope he and, the shops that are selling it are getting a solid cut of that.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #582 on: December 22, 2019, 11:50:48 AM »
andy anderson deck......

opinions?

I saw the shape when it came out and thought it was super gimmicky.   Then I watched a video with him explaining exactly why it is shaped like it is and it made perfect sense ---- for his skating.  For me, not so much.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #583 on: December 22, 2019, 02:12:19 PM »
What's the tail (length) like on the Drehobl Rig shape? Kinda short? Shops below are saying 6.25"

159's would be flush in back?

How does the shape of the nose compare to the Polar 1991 and 1992 shapes?
Anything else similar?

https://www.tactics.com/search/drehobl

https://socalskateshop.com/Krooked-Dan-Drehobl-Bat-Shaped-Deck-925x318.html

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #584 on: December 22, 2019, 02:50:34 PM »
What's the tail (length) like on the Drehobl Rig shape? Kinda short? Shops below are saying 6.25"

Anything else similar?

SoCal and Tactics measurements are usually accurate so that's likely to be the correct tail size. It does have the shortest tail out of all the shapes you mentioned FWIW. All of the noses look pretty different too. It's probably down to a matter of personal preference. I hope they keep it in the line because I'd like to cop one in the spring.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #585 on: December 22, 2019, 04:25:44 PM »
Expand Quote

Anything else similar?

[close]
SoCal and Tactics measurements are usually accurate so that's likely to be the correct tail size. It does have the shortest tail out of all the shapes you mentioned FWIW. All of the noses look pretty different too. It's probably down to a matter of personal preference. I hope they keep it in the line because I'd like to cop one in the spring.

The tail is pretty short but mellow, so the contact point feels nice.

I rode it with 169 and 169 indies and loved it on both (159 fit better on the back, I ended up with double washers for a little more width)

Nose is a little more full and the width tapers radially compared to the rather straight rails on the polar shapes.
Nice and spacious shape but feels agile and nicely balanced.

PMA

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #586 on: December 22, 2019, 04:31:25 PM »
I've noticed dlx likes short tails, must be something they think helps with response.
Personally I want A much longer tail. 6 7/8 is preferred. That Drehobl shape is great except for the tail length.
Having a size 12 means my foot is always slipping off, especially for bluntslides,tailslides.
Even 6.5 for a tail is really short, 6.75 is good. The 9 polar popsicle I am skating has almost a 7 inch tail.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #587 on: December 22, 2019, 04:34:52 PM »
I've noticed dlx likes short tails, must be something they think helps with response.
Personally I want A much longer tail. 6 7/8 is preferred. That Drehobl shape is great except for the tail length.
Having a size 12 means my foot is always slipping off, especially for bluntslides,tailslides.
Even 6.5 for a tail is really short, 6.75 is good. The 9 polar popsicle I am skating has almost a 7 inch tail.

Good info.
You’d know way more about this: I’ve never gotten into tail angles/height. Response wise...a tail could be longer and the angle could compensate for the length, no? Maybe I’m off here.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #588 on: December 22, 2019, 04:47:25 PM »
size 12-13 foot here as well, how’s the manual point on that polar.. and fingers of flat? Dimensions similar to AH orange eagle?   

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
« Reply #589 on: December 22, 2019, 06:28:49 PM »
andy anderson deck......

opinions?

I have one in my wall.

I am a huge fan of Andy, and I like wide boards. I have a flight popsicle and a flight shaped deck that I’m riding.

Disclaimer- I’m in my fourties, and I don’t jump down stuff. I mostly skate transition, with some flatbar and curb stuff in the park and street.

The flight decks have lasted WAY longer than anything else. Razortail is the only issue, but I just sand it down on the concrete and it’s good to go, the board still has crisp pop after a year.

Once those are done, I’ll take down the && and skate it. I’m not sure about the completely square tail. I enjoy a good tailblock, but I’m not sure how it will Ollie. Although I’ve heard that hard edges in the tail will soften and scrape off over time into a nicer shape.

Also, it has surprisingly deep concave, and does even steeper at the flares on the board. The will take some getting used to.

Also, no, it’s not VCJ’s best graphic. It’s a nice nod to Per Weilender, but think he’s past his prime when it comes to skulls.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #590 on: December 22, 2019, 09:05:32 PM »
The Drebhol shape indeed has a really short tail. Threw me off stopping in traffic lights and whatnot with my foot slipping off more easily. I've got it on my cruiser with Ace 55s, 1/8" risers and 60 mm Ricta Clouds. Even though it's got the shortest tail I've ever had on anything it still ollies really nicely. I guess the tail being more mellow helps a lot. Width over the center of the back truck mounting holes is 8.5" and in the front it's 9.125". I really like it personally.

satan

« Reply #591 on: December 25, 2019, 06:23:43 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I thought/feared the Drehobl dimensions were correct cuz the tail even looks short in pics. Rocket ollies suck but nervous tail/blunt slides and random wilsons are what scare me
And dammit for Chico and the Professor putting the idea in my head that I could redrill the tail 0.375-0.5". Wheelbase would be a lil tiny but I'd be more worried about too many fingers of flat. Would that be weird for blunts on parking blocks? Madness

I've only looked at online pics but have a local I can try..
I like the look of a fuller nose, mellow taper, wider round or square/round tail
Dimensions I'm thinking 7-7.25" nose, preferably not shorter
14.25" or shorter wheelbase, 14" is great
+6.5" tail, 6.625" minimum, 6.75" seems good, 7" doesn't sound crazy tho

Going by online top pics I like the Drehobl, Polar 1991, and Hensley Stained Glass
Really like the Drehobl and 1991 nose shapes. Think they remind me of the old SMA or Sims Everslicks
1991 shape I'd prefer shorter WB and longer tail, actually like those dimensions on the 1992 better. 1992 nose shape has a Frankenstein's forehead look to it?
Hensley, WB is too long but the Watson wood puts me off more than anything else

Any suggestions? Preferably 1991-92 style shape, not an egg but I'd think about it if the nose/tail weren't too pointy
Might just get 159's and an Alien 8.75" while I hunt around..

http://vertisdead.blogspot.com/2016/09/california-cheap-skates-1991.html
Old CCS's for inspiration

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/magazine/january-1990/
Idk where the backissue index is but you can just change month-year in the address bar
Product Patrol lists dimensions..
Shit. Thanks for that Phelps

« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 06:47:47 PM by satan »

satan

« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 04:07:53 PM by satan »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #593 on: December 25, 2019, 08:15:17 PM »
These last two posts are so hot.
What were the common trucks of this era? I was in a small town, and a small kid, during this time. I had some weird choices: tony hawk, and then a Cab, standard fare, followed by a Peanut Browne Airbourne, and a Bryce Kanights, Scott Oester 3 Indians and then I quit skating for years and years. All of these boards were pretty basic, maybe the Kanights was moving towards a modern shape....can’t remember. Anyways we were putting cellblocks and big wheels on them. Had Indy’s, no idea on size. The boards were huge and heavy. When I started skating again in the mid90s.....I gave my boards to other kids trying to get people to skate with. In a way I should have saved em, but it’s always better to skate with others. I would love to have a setup from this era. Or one with modern stuff to mimic the vibe. It’s super fun to cruise on wide short boards. I always really wanted a Natas, but never got one, why I dunno, other than we didn’t want to have the same board as someone else.
Right before I faded out of skating (for the first time)
I remember seeing some kid in town with the double kick vision, and then another one had ‘venture lowriders’ and stuff was clearly changing.
Interested to see what you go with. Thanks for sparking some memories of an easier time

satan

« Reply #594 on: December 26, 2019, 04:46:01 PM »
These last two posts are so hot.
What were the common trucks of this era? I was in a small town, and a small kid, during this time. I had some weird choices: tony hawk, and then a Cab, standard fare, followed by a Peanut Browne Airbourne, and a Bryce Kanights, Scott Oester 3 Indians and then I quit skating for years and years. All of these boards were pretty basic, maybe the Kanights was moving towards a modern shape....can’t remember. Anyways we were putting cellblocks and big wheels on them. Had Indy’s, no idea on size. The boards were huge and heavy. When I started skating again in the mid90s.....I gave my boards to other kids trying to get people to skate with. In a way I should have saved em, but it’s always better to skate with others. I would love to have a setup from this era. Or one with modern stuff to mimic the vibe. It’s super fun to cruise on wide short boards. I always really wanted a Natas, but never got one, why I dunno, other than we didn’t want to have the same board as someone else.
Right before I faded out of skating (for the first time)
I remember seeing some kid in town with the double kick vision, and then another one had ‘venture lowriders’ and stuff was clearly changing.
Interested to see what you go with. Thanks for sparking some memories of an easier time
I'm glad you're enjoying the nostalgia too. I've only got a couple decks left from the 80's, wish I'd hung onto more. Your boards sound like a pretty cool mix for the era. Ooh! Cellblock 3's? I started skating as an expat on the other side of the world and then landed in southern California in 1991. Overseas ppl were riding whatever they got at home the summer before, or the summer before that.. I tictac'ed around on Tracker Ultralites and Gullwing Street Shadows mainly cuz I thought the huge Indy's and 10" board I had were too heavy. And Hensley.. Friend had Indy 149's? I should have gone that route. Ppl seemed to either have Indy's,Trackers or Gullwings? Probably whatever the shop sold or pushed. I can't really remember that period as clearly.. In socal it was Indy country until the bolt pattern changed. Some ppl were riding og Ventures, rarely Thunder. Tracker if you got them for free.. Then there'd be the random guy on 80's Gullwings (the ones with the groove) or the steel trucks (g&s or San Diego truck co?). After the bolt pattern changed it was mainly Venture Featherlights but the older guys stuck with Indy.

I'm starting to think big board now cuz modern trucks are so light. Got some stage 8 136's on Craigslist and they're pretty heavy compared to hollow/cast 144's. I think a modern +9" could be as light or lighter than a 90's 8". I'm hoping anyways..

Natas has had a few reissues and another one coming soon..

satan

« Reply #595 on: December 26, 2019, 05:07:58 PM »
Really stoked on these old Product Patrols cuz I've wanted dimensions for boards of this era (1990-92)
Street wheelbases seem like they're in the 13.75-14.25" range. And some of those are double drilled.. 14" WB seems popular.
Vert stuff is in the 14.5-15" range? Shit, even some vert stuff is 14.25"

For nose/tail length you'd need to add 3/8"? Cuz the bolt pattern changed.
I'm never sure on that part but it seems correct. And I do think 7" tail and +7" nose when I remember these old boards or 80's stuff.

So that Agah. Gawd!! DLX really should redo this series..
It's dimensions should be?
32.15" x 9.25"
6.625" tail, 7.125" nose, 14" wb

Also interesting to see the 5/2 lamination for the Thiebaud. That's what every 7-ply has used since then.

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/magazine/march-1992/

« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 06:27:02 PM by satan »

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #596 on: December 26, 2019, 05:16:54 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I thought/feared the Drehobl dimensions were correct cuz the tail even looks short in pics. Rocket ollies suck but nervous tail/blunt slides and random wilsons are what scare me
And dammit for Chico and the Professor putting the idea in my head that I could redrill the tail 0.375-0.5". Wheelbase would be a lil tiny but I'd be more worried about too many fingers of flat. Would that be weird for blunts on parking blocks? Madness

I've only looked at online pics but have a local I can try..
I like the look of a fuller nose, mellow taper, wider round or square/round tail
Dimensions I'm thinking 7-7.25" nose, preferably not shorter
14.25" or shorter wheelbase, 14" is great
+6.5" tail, 6.625" minimum, 6.75" seems good, 7" doesn't sound crazy tho

Going by online top pics I like the Drehobl, Polar 1991, and Hensley Stained Glass
Really like the Drehobl and 1991 nose shapes. Think they remind me of the old SMA or Sims Everslicks
1991 shape I'd prefer shorter WB and longer tail, actually like those dimensions on the 1992 better. 1992 nose shape has a Frankenstein's forehead look to it?
Hensley, WB is too long but the Watson wood puts me off more than anything else

Any suggestions? Preferably 1991-92 style shape, not an egg but I'd think about it if the nose/tail weren't too pointy
Might just get 159's and an Alien 8.75" while I hunt around..

http://vertisdead.blogspot.com/2016/09/california-cheap-skates-1991.html
Old CCS's for inspiration

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/magazine/january-1990/
Idk where the backissue index is but you can just change month-year in the address bar
Product Patrol lists dimensions..
Shit. Thanks for that Phelps

Have you considered the Polar Dane1? Short-ish wheelbase but the shape is super fun and functional.

satan

« Reply #597 on: December 26, 2019, 05:34:54 PM »
Have you considered the Polar Dane1? Short-ish wheelbase but the shape is super fun and functional.
I have. I'm embarrassed to say that I have a sheet of paper with 20+ deck dimensions and it's on there.
Nose is ~0.5" too short and looks kinda narrow. I'm hoping to slop out some noseslides so bigger would be nice.

satan

« Reply #598 on: December 26, 2019, 07:44:59 PM »
Kinda related to 90's boards..
Does anyone remember what cut Real Small Wheels were?
I'm remember classic cut but seen pics recently and they look like radials.
Originally 53mm and then 51mm came out, if anyone is curious. 55mm is the smallest I remember before them.

I was thinking conical cut for looks until I got reminded of the Real's.
Was never really a fan of tablets but they look lighter while still keeping a wider riding surface.

For the nostalgic. Check out how quickly wheel sizes changed!
Skaters Union turned into Union Wheels? Both under NHS?

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/magazine/february-1992/

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/magazine/august-1991/

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #599 on: December 26, 2019, 08:23:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Boserio is back on 8.25 and Ace 44. He's over the big board stage apparently haha.

Someone on here was given one of GT's old setups, it was an 8.5 with 149 and 52's.

Ducky skates 8.75's - can't really think of anyone else.