Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 547083 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #5910 on: December 30, 2023, 05:33:43 PM »

Set this up today. Krooked Gonz family affair popsicle, 9 x 33.25 x 15. It's my ramp/transition board.

It's the same 9-inch shape that DLX uses across all its brands, I believe.

I'm hyped because I've never actually skated one of Gonz's models, and I'm also trying out a deck with wheel wells for the first time. Also because it's a brand I support and it's a popsicle instead of shaped. Personally not feeling shaped decks these days.

I skated it a bit earlier, it feels good. Running the same Independent 169s and Santa Cruz 97a Slimeballs. Grip is Mob, not sure about the bearings.

does it switch flip?

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1382
« Reply #5911 on: December 30, 2023, 05:41:15 PM »
Expand Quote

Set this up today. Krooked Gonz family affair popsicle, 9 x 33.25 x 15. It's my ramp/transition board.

I'm hyped because I've never actually skated one of Gonz's models, and I'm also trying out a deck with wheel wells for the first time. Also because it's a brand I support and it's a popsicle instead of shaped. Personally not feeling shaped decks these days.

I skated it a bit earlier, it feels good. Running the same Independent 169s and Santa Cruz 97a Slimeballs. Grip is Mob, not sure about the bearings.
[close]

does it switch flip?

Haha I might be able to finagle a switch flip out of it. It’ll take a lot of finagling though

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5912 on: December 30, 2023, 07:06:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

does it switch flip?
[close]

Haha I might be able to finagle a switch flip out of it. It’ll take a lot of finagling though

i believe in your powers of finagle

animalflesh

« Reply #5913 on: December 30, 2023, 07:20:06 PM »

minilogoflow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 84
« Reply #5914 on: December 31, 2023, 03:02:16 PM »

Polar 9.0
Thunder 161/Bones Hard
Spitfire Classic 56mm F497a
Swiss 6
Pepper Galaxy Grip
Ace Hollow 1" Hardware
Real 3ply Risers

I got my first skateboard Christmas of '03 so for the 20th anniversary of me skating I spoiled myself with my 2nd almost Christmas complete. Had to wait on some parts in the mail but everything is new except for bearings and bolts.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5915 on: December 31, 2023, 04:20:08 PM »

shaped boards do nothing for my skating.
this looks cool tho. 159s? i dislike rails, and this looks rad, even with rails. i miss this time period. my last board before i shamefully quit for awhile (late 80s? early 90s? can’t quite recall the year) was a scott oester board, pretty sure 157s (didn’t measure or any of that i was a little kid), probably some bullets. the deck had almost no graphics, but then had a little deflated pig on top at the nose, which i left ungripped for one foots. easy days back then.

animalflesh

« Reply #5916 on: December 31, 2023, 08:37:37 PM »
Yeah square tail is good and short nose for transition too

I’m on 169 with conical fulls so it doesn’t stick out as much but I’ve always liked the hot rod

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #5917 on: December 31, 2023, 10:57:04 PM »
I've never liked egg shaped decks but I stepped on this today and it felt awesome. 9.75 widest point and like 9.5ish over the trucks? I didn't have any that were wide enough so I had to go with some classic 66's. I love the feel of the razor edge top ply.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #5918 on: December 31, 2023, 11:39:22 PM »
I've never liked egg shaped decks but I stepped on this today and it felt awesome. 9.75 widest point and like 9.5ish over the trucks? I didn't have any that were wide enough so I had to go with some classic 66's. I love the feel of the razor edge top ply.

🤟🔥

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #5919 on: December 31, 2023, 11:48:02 PM »

My next setup after I go through my current 9.5” Symmetrical Egg board.

juniormint

• Rep: 142
« Reply #5920 on: January 01, 2024, 03:10:20 AM »

Polar 9.0
Thunder 161/Bones Hard
Swiss 6
Pepper Galaxy Grip
Ace Hollow 1" Hardware
Real 3ply Risers

I got my first skateboard Christmas of '03 so for the 20th anniversary of me skating I spoiled myself with my 2nd almost Christmas complete. Had to wait on some parts in the mail but everything is new except for bearings and bolts.

Sick, how do you like the 161s? Been on the same shape but with 151s and risers and it is kind of perfect for me, still thinking about 161s next though. Generally prefer a bit of magic carpet to keep flatground less effort though.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5921 on: January 01, 2024, 06:28:25 AM »
Expand Quote

Polar 9.0
Thunder 161/Bones Hard
Swiss 6
Pepper Galaxy Grip
Ace Hollow 1" Hardware
Real 3ply Risers

[close]

Sick, how do you like the 161s? Been on the same shape but with 151s and risers and it is kind of perfect for me, still thinking about 161s next though. Generally prefer a bit of magic carpet to keep flatground less effort though.

this setups looks really fun. the 9” polar shape looks fantastic: i’ve pulled it off the shelf multiple times to ogle it.
that setup does look like it flatgrounds.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5922 on: January 01, 2024, 08:18:12 AM »

Expand Quote

Polar 9.0
Thunder 161/Bones Hard
Swiss 6
Pepper Galaxy Grip
Ace Hollow 1" Hardware
Real 3ply Risers

[close]

So far I'm really liking the 161's after skating 169 Indy's on this shape before, it's a lot lighter and my pop is a lot snappier. I prefer the slower turn and stability on the bigger trucks vs magic carpeting but to each his own. Are you riding wider wheels on the 151's?

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Polar 9.0
Thunder 161/Bones Hard
Swiss 6
Pepper Galaxy Grip
Ace Hollow 1" Hardware
Real 3ply Risers

[close]

[close]

this setups looks really fun. the 9” polar shape looks fantastic: i’ve pulled it off the shelf multiple times to ogle it.

It's my favorite shape. Nice full kicks, medium concave and shorter wb and overall length than most 9" popsicles. I'm a bigger guy (6'3/210/Size 13) so it feels really comfortable on flat ground to me. After skating the Heroin Mutant shape for awhile, it feels good to 360 flip and hard flip again haha.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #5923 on: January 01, 2024, 08:52:22 AM »
The 9 polar shape is almost a twin as well. Nice full
Nose and tail and longer tail too.
Have some dedicated customers who only skate that board.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #5924 on: January 01, 2024, 11:07:53 AM »
I just got run over by a car while bombing a hill. I was for 3 weeks in the hospital asleep for 2. Anyway it was a perfect moment to set up this Krooked board that I bought since 2022 with @Freelancevagrant at Austin. The only thing is that I got to take the wheel at the front since it got all the way there while being run by the car.

Krooked 9.25 Drehobl deck.
Thunder 161 with 94a Indy bushings
Powell Dragons 56mm 93a
Random bearings
1 inch Shortys Hardware
Shake Junt riser pad

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5925 on: January 01, 2024, 11:41:15 AM »
I just got run over by a car while bombing a hill. I was for 3 weeks in the hospital asleep for 2. Anyway it was a perfect moment to set up this Krooked board that I bought since 2022 with @Freelancevagrant at Austin. The only thing is that I got to take the wheel at the front since it got all the way there while being run by the car.

Powell Dragons 56mm 93a
Random bearings
1 inch Shortys Hardware
Shake Junt riser pad

wait what!?
glad you are in the mend
cars are wack

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #5926 on: January 01, 2024, 02:30:52 PM »
Seems like it’s been wet forever here so only one session in bit longer than my normal choice but liking it so far….

Black Label Elijah 9” shape ( kinda square egg ) 14.38
Ace 55 classic now with visible axle ( go me! )
Slime balls 99a were 56
Etc

Ps been watching @144p clips on insta. Super inspiring since I’m
50 this year!

juniormint

« Reply #5927 on: January 01, 2024, 02:35:11 PM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Polar 9.0
Thunder 161/Bones Hard
Swiss 6
Pepper Galaxy Grip
Ace Hollow 1" Hardware
Real 3ply Risers

[close]

[close]

So far I'm really liking the 161's after skating 169 Indy's on this shape before, it's a lot lighter and my pop is a lot snappier. I prefer the slower turn and stability on the bigger trucks vs magic carpeting but to each his own. Are you riding wider wheels on the 151's?

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Polar 9.0
Thunder 161/Bones Hard
Swiss 6
Pepper Galaxy Grip
Ace Hollow 1" Hardware
Real 3ply Risers

[close]

[close]

[close]

It's my favorite shape. Nice full kicks, medium concave and shorter wb and overall length than most 9" popsicles. I'm a bigger guy (6'3/210/Size 13) so it feels really comfortable on flat ground to me. After skating the Heroin Mutant shape for awhile, it feels good to 360 flip and hard flip again haha.

It’s a great shape for sure, the full tail really makes a difference for me too, having size 13 feet also and being around the same size as you. Rocking 54mm radials currently but am usually on 56-58 classics. The extra mm height on the 161s is appealing to me + wheel wells may not need the risers, though I definitely prefer thunders on them, they turn so well. Pretty close to axle on my current set so I may just pull the trigger on some 161s as I’ve got a Hjalte 9.0 with ww on the way…

juniormint

« Reply #5928 on: January 01, 2024, 02:37:58 PM »

Powell Dragons 56mm 93a
Random bearings
1 inch Shortys Hardware
Shake Junt riser pad

Very hectic man, glad to hear you’re recovering. Cars are certainly wack. All the best with getting back on the board in the new year!

addie pray

• Rep: -527
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #5929 on: January 01, 2024, 03:37:16 PM »

Powell Dragons 56mm 93a
Random bearings
1 inch Shortys Hardware
Shake Junt riser pad

i got run over by a truck bombing a hill last year.. glad ur okay

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #5930 on: January 01, 2024, 06:22:28 PM »
Expand Quote

Powell Dragons 56mm 93a
Random bearings
1 inch Shortys Hardware
Shake Junt riser pad
[close]

Glad you're okay buddy! It is something that fucking sucks for sure.

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5931 on: January 01, 2024, 07:27:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Powell Dragons 56mm 93a
Random bearings
1 inch Shortys Hardware
Shake Junt riser pad
[close]

[close]
Glad you're okay buddy! It is something that fucking sucks for sure.
I’m glad you are both ok, positive energy to both of you

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #5932 on: January 01, 2024, 10:06:03 PM »

Just set this up today, had a quick roll and it’s bloody fantastic! I’m not a Welcome guy but this shape just spoke to me
Welcome 9.5 egg
Ace classic 55’s with grind king inverted king pin mod
F4 Conical full 56mm

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5933 on: January 01, 2024, 11:58:43 PM »
Expand Quote

Powell Dragons 56mm 93a
Random bearings
1 inch Shortys Hardware
Shake Junt riser pad
[close]

Very hectic man, glad to hear you’re recovering. Cars are certainly wack. All the best with getting back on the board in the new year!
Happy to have you back man
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5934 on: January 02, 2024, 12:14:16 AM »

Just set this up today, had a quick roll and it’s bloody fantastic! I’m not a Welcome guy but this shape just spoke to me
Welcome 9.5 egg
F4 Conical full 56mm

Can we (collectively) ask for / see a top pic?

Guessing it is the Boline 2 shape, but just checking anyway.

https://welcomeskateboards.com/products/wonder-on-boline-2-0-brown-stain-9-5

That does look like fun and as you said, not really into Welcome, but they are now on BBS so I have bought a few and blanked them just to have a good shaped board in wider sizes that I don't need to worry about going to be a one off.

Thanks!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

« Reply #5935 on: January 02, 2024, 12:28:18 AM »
Expand Quote

Welcome 9.5 egg
F4 Conical full 56mm
[close]

That does look like fun and as you said, not really into Welcome, but they are now on BBS so I have bought a few and blanked them just to have a good shaped board in wider sizes that I don't need to worry about going to be a one off.

Thanks!

Yeah looks like a Boline 2

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5936 on: January 02, 2024, 01:09:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Welcome 9.5 egg
F4 Conical full 56mm
[close]

Thanks!
[close]

Yeah looks like a Boline 2

Yeah that's the one!

Thanks for the pic.

Looking good, without tapering to a tiny tail like some of the other egg shaped boards I have seen.

« Reply #5937 on: January 02, 2024, 02:17:46 PM »
Yeah looking at the more popular egg shapes in the shop I was put off by the tiny tail! This shape looks more proportional, and it feels totally at home under my feet. I might be wrong but it seems very similar to the Cardiel egg?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5938 on: January 03, 2024, 01:42:26 PM »
Yeah looking at the more popular egg shapes in the shop I was put off by the tiny tail! This shape looks more proportional, and it feels totally at home under my feet. I might be wrong but it seems very similar to the Cardiel egg?

Ha yeah, I wasn't going to say it, but the Huffer shape - AH Cardiel board - is a good one and maybe the only other one I have felt comfortable on, with the size, width and length of the tail. 

I haven't seen the Black Label one when it came out but others had it and said it was good too.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #5939 on: January 10, 2024, 04:36:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ha yeah, I wasn't going to say it, but the Huffer shape - AH Cardiel board - is a good one and maybe the only other one I have felt comfortable on, with the size, width and length of the tail. 

I haven't seen the Black Label one when it came out but others had it and said it was good too.
The thing that stood out to me about the Huffer was that it was kind of an upside down egg. Most of the egg shapes you see are the aforementioned pinner tail and then the round nose. The Huffer doesn't feel exactly inverted but there's more going on in the tail than usual and then the nose is kinda pointy, which is why I think it flips so well.

Good job on those WWII surplus Aces Dad!
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.