Author Topic: RIP P-Stone  (Read 99894 times)

Buck Russell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -318
  • Bug or gnat?
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: RIP P-Stone
« Reply #270 on: September 01, 2017, 03:09:26 PM »
Of course the industry is looking away as usual. Nike should have forced this guy into rehab years ago instead of marketing his alcohol fueled antics.�

not sure nike or anyone else could've done anything to change him but he's been a gigantic pile for years now and it was clearly going nowhere good.

skateboarding really could lay off the kegger vibes overall.

thoughts and prayers to all involved.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1080
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #271 on: September 01, 2017, 03:24:27 PM »
not sure nike or anyone else could've done anything to change him but he's been a gigantic pile for years now and it was clearly going nowhere good.
Seeing an orchestrated tour video where people let loose and have no responsibilities is far from the reality of their everyday lives.
you're seeing a glimpse into his world. Cory lives a quiet life on a small island, he's done a lot for the community on the island and helped with the small skatepark they have.
I understand that they put themselves on display and we think we really know their mannerisms, but we don't.
Yes he parties, and probably went over board on multiple occasions publicly and maybe made a bad decision, but all that being said we really have no idea exactly what happened and shouldn't jump to the worst possible scenario immediately.

D. Bag

« Reply #272 on: September 01, 2017, 03:26:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Ok, when and where would be a good time to discuss? There's dozens upon dozens of pages calling a black man a piece of shit criminal for actions associated to their substance abuse problems but we should all be sympathetic to Cory because he might have a hard time dealing with his mistakes...
[close]
I think everyone understands the point your trying to make man. Stop tryin to fight fire with fire.

Exactly. ? Fuck bringing personal politics into this to hijack what SHOULD be a thread that's about a real fucking tragedy, not "What's wrong with America in 2017". ? Seriously, not everything has to be a personal soapbox to gripe about unrelated shit. ? It's almost as if some people here can't go a single day without bitching about the dumbest shit any chance they can.

RIP to P-Stone, sorry that CK will be forever screwed by this accident (that could, of course, have been prevented with better judgment, but that's neither here nor there at this pint), and fuck off to anything else being talked about that has nothing to do with this.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #273 on: September 01, 2017, 03:56:15 PM »
Man this is fucking awful. The Bru Ray segments are probably the best on the entire Thrasher site. Really bummed on Cory too because I love his skating. God. This is gonna be another Shane cross ordeal. Deepest condolences out to P-Stone's family. Nobody deserves this.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #274 on: September 01, 2017, 04:23:10 PM »
This is all horrible.  Thoughts go out to P-Stone's family.  I loved the fact he left reactions, laughter, and commentary into the Bru Ray edits.  I also loved the Beauty and the Beast tour footage and his friendly ribbing of O'Dell.  I can't imagine the guilt that Cory must be going through.  I think back to all of the times in my life where I've gotten in the car with a drunk driver and how awry the situation could've gone.

I will add this too...  When I was 25, I got accepted to a music school that had long been on my radar.  A band that I was formerly involved with was also playing their last local show.  Between the acceptance letter, and the good hang with friends I'd spent the last 5 years of my life touring with, I went overboard with the celebratory drinking.  A car had parked extremely close to my passenger side, and when I was leaving I backed out and clipped it turning out of my spot.  Being in the heart of downtown in a college town, before I got my car into drive, there was a flashlight shining through my driver side window.  I got an OWI (Operating While Intoxicated here in Michigan), spent the night in jail, and paid around 4K (savings for the move out east for school) in lawyer fees and court costs. 

I'm so fortunate that I didn't get any farther than that or injure/kill someone, and it definitely scared me straight as far as getting behind the wheel with any semblance of a buzz.  I'm so grateful that no one was hurt or dead as a result of my own stupidity.  Obviously Cory wouldn't have done that if he knew what would transpire.  Drunk driving is the worst thing you can do short of blatantly murdering or raping someone.

beazlocal

• Rep: -28
« Reply #275 on: September 01, 2017, 04:24:00 PM »
Sad situation, and Cory convicted already in a lot of eyes, wow

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #276 on: September 01, 2017, 04:30:35 PM »

I'm so fortunate that I didn't get any farther than that or injure/kill someone, and it definitely scared me straight as far as getting behind the wheel with any semblance of a buzz.  I'm so grateful that no one was hurt or dead as a result of my own stupidity.  Obviously Cory wouldn't have done that if he knew what would transpire.  Drunk driving is the worst thing you can do short of blatantly murdering or raping someone.
I'm right there with you man. Two DUIs both me hitting parked cars (nice parked cars too for some reason. A brand new dodge Charger and some russian guys BMW that was his baby) blowing .24 I finally learned my lesson after the second one. I think I was to young on the first one for it to really sink in. I'm just soooo soooo lucky I hit empty cars with nobody as my passenger and I only harmed myself.

sms_b

« Reply #277 on: September 01, 2017, 04:31:09 PM »

Credit to DLXSF

HungUp

• Rep: 40
« Reply #278 on: September 01, 2017, 04:38:58 PM »
If you're saying "I get it, but antwon is a bad example," you really don't get it.

Insta has been flooded, as it should be, but every time I see that family pic with the 2 kids I get angry. It takes any sympathy I had for Cory and throws it out the window. Those kids lost their father. Yea, Cory is fucked, and might have a hard time dealing with what happened, etc, etc, but that family was just destroyed and those kids were robbed of their father. How do explain to a toddler that their father is dead?

Seeing that pic with his kids and knowing he was about to get married is truly heartbreaking. I have multiple people in my life who lost parents at a young age. Cory does have a long road ahead, and I can still feel empathy for him as someone who's made my own mistakes,
but it's nothing compared to what those boys have to live through. I can only imagine that someone with such a huge heart and personality like Preston must have been like a superhero to his boys.

I do hope the industry will do some soul-searching around substance abuse and how it's promoted/dealt with. Buuut I also know who buys the most skateboards and I know what I was about between the ages of 13-21. I guess I just hope conscience prevails for some heads.

Rest In Peace Preston!!! condolences to his family and friends. Hope everything works out for Cory.

Life is short, go skate today for these two and everyone who got their trip cut short!

What a rad pic. I hope to see more of this in the thread. P-Stone brought joy to all of us through his work and definitely seems to have brought joy to the people who knew him. RIP to a legend.

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #279 on: September 01, 2017, 04:44:03 PM »

billyerlife

« Reply #280 on: September 01, 2017, 05:13:13 PM »
I got popped for a DUI and didn't spend a single night in jail and it was terrible. I have friends who have spent months in jail because of the shit and no one even got hurt. My little brother was hit by a drunk driver and survived, but a dude a few feet away didn't. This is a mistake you just don't have to learn firsthand anymore, the jury is in and drinking and driving is fucking terrible. Don't, ever, and be a nag on people who do. The pain and misery Cory is going to go through for the rest of his life won't speak to the devastation he has caused, but you can't ask for a more severe punishment. Condolences over and over to P-stone's family.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 250
« Reply #281 on: September 01, 2017, 05:23:46 PM »
update on the news article..
so sad
http://www.vashonbeachcomber.com/news/one-dead-one-injured-after-suspected-dui-crash-wednesday-night/

I think this article puts a good perspective on the whole issue.  These were two good people who were involved in this accident.  One happened to be behind the wheel and one was in the passenger seat.   Judging by every tribute and post about P-Stone (which might be a little tacky timing wise) he likes to drink and have a good time with the people he's with.  Unfortunately one of those moments ended as horribly as possible.  I think it's safe to assume Cory (and let's be honest, it could have been anyone) had no malicious intent and everyone in the car has a sliver of complicity in being in that car after a day spent drinking and skating.  The real tragedy would have been if their car caused an accident to another car or innocent bystander and hurt them.  

There are lives that will be forever changed because we forget something like this can happen to anyone.  It doesn't matter race, wealth, sponsors, or any of that.  Reynolds' Piss Drunx days ended after he almost died hitting a tree while driving drunk IIRC and there are so many other instance where the worst can happen and it doesn't.   Substance abuse should be acknowledged and confronted before it becomes something that just "affects your skating" and skaters who have gone sober should be a little more outspoken about the dangers and not take the Ellington stance of acknowledging it but not wanting to tell anyone how to live their lives (he has said this in past interviews, not sure if this is still his own stance).  

I get that Cory is an obvious target of blame because people need to point fingers but I don't think he was some alcoholic wild child pulling a Vince Neil here

McCly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -12
« Reply #282 on: September 01, 2017, 05:25:57 PM »
I don't think anyone should vilify Cory as I hope none of you know what it's like to endanger someone and/or kill them. No amount of weed or therapy will rid someone of the guilt of ending someone's life when you truly cared about them. It's a fucked up scenario and we need to acknowledge that the Baker2G lifestyle doesn't fucking fly anymore. Put Uber on your fucking homescreen and make sure you have a linked card before you go out. Know your limits. Please.

And stop saying that because he is rich everything's gonna work out for him. It just makes you look like superficial assholes.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 739
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #283 on: September 01, 2017, 05:36:41 PM »
P-Stone seemed to embody everything skateboarding is all about, and will be deadly missed. It would be rad if Thrasher put out a tribute photo annual if just his stuff. I'm sure he'll be forever listed in the opening page with the other lost heroes.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
« Reply #284 on: September 01, 2017, 05:41:05 PM »
I think he's out on bail? Again, this is so sad, gonna have to pop in Beers Bowls and Barneys tonight.

im probably lying

wheelies

« Reply #285 on: September 01, 2017, 06:18:30 PM »
Heres some more insight into the situation.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/pro-skateboarder-cory-kennedy-in-jail-after-vashon-island-crash-kills-beloved-videographer/

We should all have Corys back even though he fucked up.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #286 on: September 01, 2017, 06:37:00 PM »

Credit to DLXSF

This should be a T shirt, such a rad photo.

Fecal Fury

• Rep: 60
  • 1800-18-18-18
« Reply #287 on: September 01, 2017, 06:43:44 PM »
Heres some more insight into the situation.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/pro-skateboarder-cory-kennedy-in-jail-after-vashon-island-crash-kills-beloved-videographer/

We should all have Corys back even though he fucked up.

"Smyth said the Girl skate team is like family and will not turn its back on Kennedy"

If there's ever a time to support Cory, this is it.

Hopefully this horrible situation not only gets Cory the help he needs, but others in the industry also.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #288 on: September 01, 2017, 06:46:52 PM »
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 06:50:14 PM by Shifty Flip »

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #289 on: September 01, 2017, 07:03:44 PM »
Not even close to trying to make light of this tragedy but you think bru-ray ever drove wasted?

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #290 on: September 01, 2017, 07:09:13 PM »
I got popped for a DUI and didn't spend a single night in jail and it was terrible. I have friends who have spent months in jail because of the shit and no one even got hurt. My little brother was hit by a drunk driver and survived, but a dude a few feet away didn't. This is a mistake you just don't have to learn firsthand anymore, the jury is in and drinking and driving is fucking terrible. Don't, ever, and be a nag on people who do. The pain and misery Cory is going to go through for the rest of his life won't speak to the devastation he has caused, but you can't ask for a more severe punishment. Condolences over and over to P-stone's family.
Thank you. Well said. Like I said earlier. Ive had my DUIs while I crashed and thank god nobody was hurt. I know if I had hurt anybody I would probably have killed myself. Do not condemn anyone for their actions unless it was cold blooded rape or murder. He made a mistake (It wasn't an accident he made the choice to drive, it was a mistake) millions of us have made but he just so happened to have a passenger with him and his family paid the ultimate price. It's seriously so fucking sad. and I'm drunk as fuck right now because of it. I'm not blaming my own problems on this situation but it definitely triggered me. I don't believe in god but let the universe please look after P-Stones family and Cory's family. I've never had a death of somebody I don't know effect me so bad. Probably part of growing up.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #291 on: September 01, 2017, 07:53:18 PM »
Nike just dropped him.
Still on the team page. 

grimcity

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2213
  • computer says no
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #292 on: September 01, 2017, 07:53:42 PM »
Just found out today. Unfuckingbelievable. RIP P-Stone.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #293 on: September 01, 2017, 07:55:27 PM »
Drinking and driving has destroyed so many lives it's fucked. My childhood neighbor lost his legs to it, my friend lost his brother to it, almost lost my father to it when I was 8 years old.... This shit will keep on goin' as long as cars are manually driven.

Can't blame anyone in this incident. I can't count the amount of times I've sat shotgun next to a drunk driver while being the obnoxious co-pilot putting music on blast and offering everyone in the car some more brews.

R.I.P. to P-Stone, thank you for all your awesome work! Let's hope the best for CK and his friend.

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #294 on: September 01, 2017, 08:04:24 PM »
RIP. everyone involved is in my thoughts and prayers.

GHOSTFACE420

• Rep: -7
  • lean
    • Legoman's Weed Smokin' Paradise avatar image
« Reply #295 on: September 01, 2017, 08:08:10 PM »
first off RIP P-Stone

cory blew a 0.10 - 0.11 thats like 5 beers MAX and if hes as big of a pile as everyone seems to make him out to be 5 beers isnt going to effect him like it would someone who doesnt normally drink, im not saying its right or justified at all but i mean shit its obvious P-Stone liked to drink maybe more than a "normal" person does so its possible he was WAY more intoxicated than cory so cory feeling okay (1 beer over the LEGAL limit) decided to drive, im just going to assume both of them have been in this situation tons of times before (only because personally i have been on both sides of this more times than i can remember), if you think this is the first time cory drove after drinking or pstone got in a car with someone who had been drinking youre delusional. if cory was the one who died im sure all of you would be calling pstone a drunk. this whole thing sucks, its a shame that one bad decision can turn into something so tragic

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 08:09:48 PM by GHOSTFACE420 »
i never pour up nothing less than a 4

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #296 on: September 01, 2017, 08:20:52 PM »
first off RIP P-Stone

cory blew a 0.10 - 0.11 thats like 5 beers MAX and if hes as big of a pile as everyone seems to make him out to be 5 beers isnt going to effect him like it would someone who doesnt normally drink, im not saying its right or justified at all but i mean shit its obvious P-Stone liked to drink maybe more than a "normal" person does so its possible he was WAY more intoxicated than cory so cory feeling okay (1 beer over the LEGAL limit) decided to drive, im just going to assume both of them have been in this situation tons of times before (only because personally i have been on both sides of this more times than i can remember), if you think this is the first time cory drove after drinking or pstone got in a car with someone who had been drinking youre delusional. if cory was the one who died im sure all of you would be calling pstone a drunk. this whole thing sucks, its a shame that one bad decision can turn into something so tragic

Indeed, a 0.11 is pretty much more a distraction than drunk driving.

legalbeagle

« Reply #297 on: September 01, 2017, 08:26:26 PM »
Any seasoned drunk knows five is too many. Obviously his tolerance didn't increase as he just wrecked and killed a guy.

Dude shouldn't be drinking away from home at all on that island, there's no cabs or Uber out there.

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #298 on: September 01, 2017, 08:37:01 PM »
Apparently the crash was right around the corner from Cory's house. Weird that he wouldn't recognize that sharp turn. Especially at 0.11. They also must have been hauling ass. I looked at the maps at the road from the article. He probably made that corner 1000 or more times.

Distracted driving was probably a major contributor here.

GHOSTFACE420

• Rep: -7
  • lean
    • Legoman's Weed Smokin' Paradise avatar image
« Reply #299 on: September 01, 2017, 08:38:36 PM »

Indeed, a 0.11 is pretty much more a distraction than drunk driving.

this

Any seasoned drunk knows five is too many. Obviously his tolerance didn't increase as he just wrecked and killed a guy.

Dude shouldn't be drinking away from home at all on that island, there's no cabs or Uber out there.

dude wtf are you talking about 5 is nothing any SEASONED drunk wakes up a drinks 5 before driving to work to stop withdrawals and then a pint or more on the way home. tolerance has nothing to do with this, we dont know any of the circumstances this very well could have happened the same way with zero alcohol involved like dude said distraction was prob a bigger part than actual intoxication
i never pour up nothing less than a 4