Author Topic: FA cornball activity  (Read 9404 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
Re: FA cornball activity
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2023, 09:19:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
People writing essays about their opinions regarding FA, but none of the ink spilled addresses the fact that Dill and FA are, in fact, extremely corny.
[close]

Yeah there is literally zero intellectual effort needed in the simple act of recognition that Dill brands are garbage.
[close]
The hate in FA’s comments is a reflection of todays mob mentality.

lol
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

skunty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2023, 09:21:37 AM »
my friend dm'd (like a man) Paul Kirchner and he responded saying FA are paying him

did everyone miss this? they didnt steal the image, its a "collab" or a license deal or whatever you wanna call it. its from a cartoon from high times magazine. the whole premise of this thread is unfounded

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2023, 09:29:14 AM »
I could fix fa easily if I had a say.

I know exactly what fat to cut and who to put on in their place.

Art department slash and burn
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

veritas

« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2023, 09:35:23 AM »
Expand Quote
my friend dm'd (like a man) Paul Kirchner and he responded saying FA are paying him
[close]

did everyone miss this? they didnt steal the image, its a "collab" or a license deal or whatever you wanna call it. its from a cartoon from high times magazine. the whole premise of this thread is unfounded

After reading this it’s hilarious how rabid and foaming at the mouth the original post sounds. Dill derangement syndrome is too real

Baglady

• Rep: -202
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2023, 09:42:57 AM »
I could fix fa easily if I had a say.

I know exactly what fat to cut and who to put on in their place.

Art department slash and burn

What’s to fix unc? Sure, BD is a big issue atm. Bloards are being sold.

Edit: FA has a store in freaking South Korea. Sounds like they’re doing alright.

Baglady

« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2023, 10:08:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
People writing essays about their opinions regarding FA, but none of the ink spilled addresses the fact that Dill and FA are, in fact, extremely corny.
[close]

Yeah there is literally zero intellectual effort needed in the simple act of recognition that Dill brands are garbage.
[close]

There should be a thread on what some people think is “non-corny”. It seems if you are a person in the general public view they are subjected to being kooked.

The hate in FA’s comments is a reflection of todays mob mentality. The fear of not fitting in and conforming to todays daily hate train. Hell, everytime I open up this website FA is at the top of discussion. Any and all IG comments I assume, is mostly filled to brim of an either love it or hate it all the way kind of prerogative. GAY, I’m sure if you wore FA product it wouldn’t look right, so I understand.
[close]

Not corny:
*Hot dogs
*Burritos
*Most tomato based salsa
*Fried white fish
*Rice pudding

Corny:
*Corndogs
*Tacos (corn tortilla)
*Most black bean salsa
*Fried catfish
*Corn pudding
*FA and Dill
*Writing weird semi-coherent rants about other people not liking something you like

I thought I was being pretty coherent. :/
I get plenty heat in real life for the shit I like. Makes me love it more.

I drank a lot of coffee and didn’t work for 2 hours this morning so probably not very coherent. That’s my excuse. What’s weird about it? It’d be weird if I put this somewhere else where the convo doesn’t pertain.

Regardless, I got love for all y’all.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 10:22:16 AM by Baglady »

AceBoogie

• Rep: -37
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2023, 10:17:24 AM »
hats wack whether its stolen, an original or a collab.
anytime someones trying to put out a product with a obscure reference to something that wasnt that dope as an original is a miss.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2023, 10:30:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

There should be a thread on what some people think is “non-corny”. It seems if you are a person in the general public view they are subjected to being kooked.

The hate in FA’s comments is a reflection of todays mob mentality. The fear of not fitting in and conforming to todays daily hate train. Hell, everytime I open up this website FA is at the top of discussion. Any and all IG comments I assume, is mostly filled to brim of an either love it or hate it all the way kind of prerogative. GAY, I’m sure if you wore FA product it wouldn’t look right, so I understand.
[close]

Not corny:
*Hot dogs
*Burritos
*Most tomato based salsa
*Fried white fish
*Rice pudding

Corny:
*Corndogs
*Tacos (corn tortilla)
*Most black bean salsa
*Fried catfish
*Corn pudding
*FA and Dill
*Writing weird semi-coherent rants about other people not liking something you like
[close]

I drank a lot of coffee this morning and didn’t work for 2 hours this morning so probably not very coherent. That’s my excuse. What’s weird about it? It’d be weird if I put this somewhere else where the convo doesn’t pertain.

You seemed pretty coherent to me

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Baglady

« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2023, 10:39:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Not corny:
*Hot dogs
*Burritos
*Most tomato based salsa
*Fried white fish
*Rice pudding

Corny:
*Corndogs
*Tacos (corn tortilla)
*Most black bean salsa
*Fried catfish
*Corn pudding
*FA and Dill
[close]

I drank a lot of coffee this morning and didn’t work for 2 hours this morning so probably not very coherent. That’s my excuse. What’s weird about it? It’d be weird if I put this somewhere else where the convo doesn’t pertain.

[close]

You seemed pretty coherent to me

Thanx doc.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2023, 10:41:22 AM »
anytime someones trying to put out a product with a obscure reference to something that wasnt that dope as an original is a miss.

Agree. The graphic is cool, but over-sized embroidery on hats hardly every looks good imo.
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

leafman4000

• Rep: 29
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2023, 11:05:48 AM »
Expand Quote
FA is far from my favorite company but sometimes I feel like the hate is reaching. Lord knows I have my opinion on the incorrect dash snow critiques but that’s mostly cause I think dash snow was bullshit (with all due respect to the fact that he’s dead).

Don’t get me wrong FA is ten years old and not nearly as fresh. I’m sure they’ll become another zero/girl/etc. legacy brand. That being said saying that they’re stealing from comics being kook behavior seems odd. Quite a few companies have lifted comic art going back to the 90s. I mean there’s the very recent Fred gall metal reissue Swamp Thing deck.

What I’m getting at is I feel like in one sense FA is toast as far as being on top but I genuinely think if they keep it stable they could continue as a smaller/medium sized brand. I still think as a sub genre of skating they contribute something cool and their videos are rad. Also my friend gave me an FA beanie last year and if it wasn’t lime green it would have been the best beanie I’ve ever owned.

I guess im saying if I think of the lasting brands in skating FA being around for a while longer albeit a little smaller scale seems cooler to me than plan b. Also if FA isn’t cool anymore it means my old ass can buy another FA beanie and not worry about being an old person trying to look cool :), I can just be old and out of touch. So actually keep up the hate for the sake of my dumb head
[close]

Preach.
I’m 32 and love FA and hockey.
I understand both sides. I to can’t help but judge their ethics and the general influence they abuse when drug use is sometimes the focal point. On the other hand all bloard brands are subject to these types of criticisms and it’s what makes our culture special.

It’s with this mindset that I can separate the art from the artist.

I can watch NXT wrestling and completely disregard Shawn Michaels influence on the show.

Dills influence on FA and Hockey is probably limited as it’s not him who is doing the skating. The driving force is in my opinion the Guys/gals on the team. I could be wrong, but this is what I choose to believe to be the situation.

It must stink having the mindset of overly critical consumer, as all these bloard brands are compromised in particular ways. What do you skate when you think this way?

Ignorance is bliss in this case. Why would I dwell on Dillards personal going on’s when I’m too busy doing flat gap 50-50’s like K-rod. Taking pride in being a heelflip guy like Sage. Or being content with my aging shell like Andrew Allen.

Somehow it doesnt surprise me that youre a staunch FA supporter
I thought skaters were tough and got laid. Way off

TheWineClub

• Rep: 40
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2023, 11:11:03 AM »
I hate Dill but love Benny. I’m conflicted.

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2023, 11:46:07 AM »

agree if its a newly manfucatured product, butif u find obscure shit with an interesting aesthetic at the thrift store for $5 then thats cool as fuck

Baglady

« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2023, 11:48:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
FA is far from my favorite company but sometimes I feel like the hate is reaching. Lord knows I have my opinion on the incorrect dash snow critiques but that’s mostly cause I think dash snow was bullshit (with all due respect to the fact that he’s dead).

Don’t get me wrong FA is ten years old and not nearly as fresh. I’m sure they’ll become another zero/girl/etc. legacy brand. That being said saying that they’re stealing from comics being kook behavior seems odd. Quite a few companies have lifted comic art going back to the 90s. I mean there’s the very recent Fred gall metal reissue Swamp Thing deck.

What I’m getting at is I feel like in one sense FA is toast as far as being on top but I genuinely think if they keep it stable they could continue as a smaller/medium sized brand. I still think as a sub genre of skating they contribute something cool and their videos are rad. Also my friend gave me an FA beanie last year and if it wasn’t lime green it would have been the best beanie I’ve ever owned.

I guess im saying if I think of the lasting brands in skating FA being around for a while longer albeit a little smaller scale seems cooler to me than plan b. Also if FA isn’t cool anymore it means my old ass can buy another FA beanie and not worry about being an old person trying to look cool :), I can just be old and out of touch. So actually keep up the hate for the sake of my dumb head
[close]

Preach.
I’m 32 and love FA and hockey.
I understand both sides. I to can’t help but judge their ethics and the general influence they abuse when drug use is sometimes the focal point. On the other hand all bloard brands are subject to these types of criticisms and it’s what makes our culture special.

It’s with this mindset that I can separate the art from the artist.

I can watch NXT wrestling and completely disregard Shawn Michaels influence on the show.

Dills influence on FA and Hockey is probably limited as it’s not him who is doing the skating. The driving force is in my opinion the Guys/gals on the team. I could be wrong, but this is what I choose to believe to be the situation.

It must stink having the mindset of overly critical consumer, as all these bloard brands are compromised in particular ways. What do you skate when you think this way?

Ignorance is bliss in this case. Why would I dwell on Dillards personal going on’s when I’m too busy doing flat gap 50-50’s like K-rod. Taking pride in being a heelflip guy like Sage. Or being content with my aging shell like Andrew Allen.
[close]

Somehow it doesnt surprise me that youre a staunch FA supporter

I’m bag lady foo. Fuk u thot?

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2023, 02:07:02 PM »
^cornball activity

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 734
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2023, 03:15:21 PM »
I was living a dumb, blissful life as a Hockey fanboy for years, obv love the boards, also loved their hoodies until this past drop. they quietly made the switch from 70/30 poly/cotton blend to 50/50 and now they're flimsy and cheap looking and the fit's gross.

theoriginalgoon

• Rep: -60
  • eight equals d
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2023, 03:25:17 PM »
I was living a dumb, blissful life as a Hockey fanboy for years, obv love the boards, also loved their hoodies until this past drop. they quietly made the switch from 70/30 poly/cotton blend to 50/50 and now they're flimsy and cheap looking and the fit's gross.

Probably due to the raising costs of everything, they probably went with another company to print blanks on since they were most likely cheaper. That way they can keep profit margins close to the same. Which is why more people should either support companies that print on old vintage blanks or start their own and do the same. Obviously would be harder to find mass quantities of vintage blanks to print on but it is still possible. The quality of vintage blanks are just so much better than todays fast fashion bullshit
Me: I found skate Jesus.

Slap: Yeah, well maybe if he does the crucifix switch I will believe it.

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 97
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2023, 03:55:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’ve definitely never seen a brand copy and paste artwork/photos before this is big news.
[close]

Yup, but I think the issue is whether it’s altered in anyway or just a cut and paste job.   Andrew Allen has a famous sweet heart of the rodeo deck out and they changed it by putting her on a crucifix (for some reason)
[close]

FA's whole style guide is based around cut and paste photo collages a la Dash Snow. It's a fine line because they're naturally going to use someone else's work, because the artistic novelty is in how they reimagine it.

That said, the scorpion thing goes over the line.

I swear I only participate in these threads to endlessly say that dash snow was a hack and his art career was fabricated by his wealthy, art connected grandmother and vice. His style was hardly his own and if you look at the timeline of him and dill their relationship seem much closer to a Dylan/austyn scenario. Dill had a background of making mail collages well before meeting dash and dashs news collages actually started popping up in a similar time to when dill moved to nyc. Before that time he was lifting his style from earsnot. Not saying dill is without influence from dash but to say he copied dash’s “style” give a lot of credit to someone who made literally nothing of actual substance.

I don’t think dill is a great artist. I don’t think either of them pioneered this style of collage. They both largely lifted it from underground music. Keep in mind that the art world very quickly called snow out for being a wealthy socialite who fabricated an art career to justify a self image of rebellion that was largely based around pretending he was poor and partying. Critiquing or not liking dills collages is totally cool but let’s admit this dash snow critique is just parroting gifted hater cause it’s gives a whole lot of credit to someone who was the equivalent of a kardashian in the 00s hipster/vice fashion world. And just to get it out of the way his death and struggles with addiction are tragic but I don’t think his death means he was necessarily a great artist

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 791
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2023, 04:06:45 PM »
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3359
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2023, 04:15:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You do make a great point: I would look like an idiot in a banana yellow pantsuit covered in photos of Obama.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 04:24:02 PM by GAY »

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2023, 04:27:18 PM »
You corny and read all my posts. Get off my Gucci I don’t buy FA I buy mansions in the retreat with my homies. We building a skate community. The golf corse is dried up. We got a snake run started. Watch out for rattle snakes. Some y’all think different

Study em like a book. your snaketopia sounds rad we aint ready for you to bang us over the head. locals only right? no Dilberts, no Dillerdz

lilyung

• Rep: -8
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2023, 05:31:32 PM »
Wait sooo is the the comic book company or Dylan's fam calling em out or somehting?

Just confused how we're so certain that the graphics aren't being licensed (like Supreme sometimes does)? Or how we've confirmed that proceeds from the boards don't go to Dylan's estate?

I'm not super tapped into graphic novels or FA's book keeping, so I may have missed some key details here

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1261
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2023, 07:14:48 PM »
Artwork sucks no matter who did it first or who copied it lol

Septa Bus

• Rep: -59
« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2023, 09:26:57 PM »
Artwork sucks no matter who did it first or who copied it like my nollie tre lol
Expand Quote
This is shaping up to be Bunt of the Year
[close]
I hope you like home runs fucker

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 648
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2023, 10:26:52 PM »
would still take the FA hat over your nollie tre

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -95
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2023, 12:04:03 AM »
A stream of words that don’t make no sense

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2023, 12:08:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Would be very interested to hear why exactly some of you old heads love FA. Something tells me it's a youth fetish disguised as skate coreism but I'm happy to be proven wrong.
[close]

I legitimately like the shovel nose shapes.  I only skate fa and quasi (whatever the shop has that day) purely based on shape.

This is my problem.  I hate the art direction but for whatever reason I skate the boards really well.   Is quasi essentially the same? I tried one a while back and the nose was similar but the tail seemed short.  Maybe I need to give Quasi another go. 
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

bigmike

• Rep: 11
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2023, 06:56:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Would be very interested to hear why exactly some of you old heads love FA. Something tells me it's a youth fetish disguised as skate coreism but I'm happy to be proven wrong.
[close]

I legitimately like the shovel nose shapes.  I only skate fa and quasi (whatever the shop has that day) purely based on shape.
[close]

This is my problem.  I hate the art direction but for whatever reason I skate the boards really well.   Is quasi essentially the same? I tried one a while back and the nose was similar but the tail seemed short.  Maybe I need to give Quasi another go.

The shovel nose isn’t my preferred shape, so I can’t say for certain. But having worked at a shop here in Philly, the kids who swear by the FA noses/shapes seem to love Quasi too for the same reason. Id say the shapes are pretty similar and harder to find outside those two brands (as far as I know).

We were even selling shop decks with a shovel nose for a while cuz it was such a common request from customers.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1261
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2023, 10:34:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
would still take the FA hat over your nollie tre
go buy it then brother

TheDingus

« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2023, 12:36:00 PM »
Ripping off art has been skate ethos since the early 90’s. It sucked then and it sucks now but it’ll never stop. Don’t worry yourselves over it.