Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 717759 times)

Paco Supreme and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #4980 on: April 26, 2023, 08:51:07 AM »
Expand Quote

Might be a one off thing, but a local shop here in Australia has some variations on the Lil Smokies, including a 51mm black Radial shape.  Currently two sets in stock.

As others had said before, the Lil Smokies are the wheels made from other larger wheels that for whatever reason seemed to not make the grade, so they shape them down and repackage them as these wheels.

Awesome if you want smaller wheels in familiar shapes, often in very unique options.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/234979874154

[close]

If these were 99's I would of bought these

I'm looking for 51mm 99a radials at the moment and don't care what colour

That is the first 51 mm Radial shaped set of wheels I have ever seen, as far as I can recall.

Radial Slim came in smaller sizes like 51 mm, but not normal Radials.

Definitely had or seen the Radial shape in 52 mm as well as 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 and 58 mm through various standard options, pro special editions or colabs, but I guess that is what makes Lil Smokies so unique as well.

Even looking globally, this is the only set that pops up.

There seem to be most other shapes out there in Lil Smokies - Classic, Conical, Conical Full, Tablet, and now Radial.

On the same shop site, either Kick Push or their store on ebay, there are a ton of Lil Smokies, most in 99 duro and 50, 51 mm options in Conical or Conical Full that would be closest in overall size and shape.

Even a few other surprises on ebay or online, but all in other countries, so that doesn't help you at all.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1952
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4981 on: April 26, 2023, 09:41:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Might be a one off thing, but a local shop here in Australia has some variations on the Lil Smokies, including a 51mm black Radial shape.  Currently two sets in stock.

As others had said before, the Lil Smokies are the wheels made from other larger wheels that for whatever reason seemed to not make the grade, so they shape them down and repackage them as these wheels.

Awesome if you want smaller wheels in familiar shapes, often in very unique options.

[close]

[close]

That is the first 51 mm Radial shaped set of wheels I have ever seen, as far as I can recall.

Definitely had or seen the Radial shape in 52 mm as well as 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 and 58 mm through various standard options, pro special editions or colabs, but I guess that is what makes Lil Smokies so unique as well.

There seem to be most other shapes out there in Lil Smokies - Classic, Conical, Conical Full, Tablet, and now Radial.

On the same shop site, either Kick Push or their store on ebay, there are a ton of Lil Smokies, most in 99 duro and 50, 51 mm options in Conical or Conical Full that would be closest in overall size and shape.

Even a few other surprises on ebay or online, but all in other countries, so that doesn't help you at all.

But.... black wheels.....v :-X
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Nth syd bear

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #4982 on: April 26, 2023, 04:47:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I was fooled by the spitfire size and shape guide they have Radials listed at 51
All good I ended up getting the last set of classic lil smokies 51mm from Kickpush

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4983 on: April 26, 2023, 06:18:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was fooled by the spitfire size and shape guide they have Radials listed at 51
All good I ended up getting the last set of classic lil smokies 51mm from Kickpush

Ha yeah, not a worry.

Any other option besides white / natural can sometimes lead to wheel crisis / madness, but they all have their place and I think someone somewhere would be stoked on them.

To be fair re Radials in 51 mm, I think any wheel in that size would almost be a slim option anyway, when compared to other larger wheels of the same style, given Spitfire wheel dimensions get more narrow as they go down in diameter.

Guessing the Lil Smokies version of normal Radials would be around 51 x 31 with an 18.5 mm riding surface.

The Radial Slims in that size are 51 x 29.5 with an 18 mm riding surface, as per the chart.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #4984 on: April 26, 2023, 06:51:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ha yeah, not a worry.

Any other option besides white / natural can sometimes lead to wheel crisis / madness, but they all have their place and I think someone somewhere would be stoked on them.

To be fair re Radials in 51 mm, I think any wheel in that size would almost be a slim option anyway, when compared to other larger wheels of the same style, given Spitfire wheel dimensions get more narrow as they go down in diameter.

Guessing the Lil Smokies version of normal Radials would be around 51 x 31 with an 18.5 mm riding surface.

The Radial Slims in that size are 51 x 29.5 with an 18 mm riding surface, as per the chart.

I actually started skating those 51 conical full swirls the last two days I'm starting to like them
Trying to skate through my stack of decks in 7.875-8.125 range
at the moment and some different wheel choices is nice

Those indy lows you know i got recently has sent me back down to the small popsicle rabbit hole i like to visit

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4985 on: April 26, 2023, 06:56:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ha yeah, not a worry.

This may be the closest thing we get to 99a Radial Slims, I may have to bite the bullet and go black wheels (shudders)
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4986 on: April 26, 2023, 07:03:50 PM »

This may be the closest thing we get to 99a Radial Slims, I may have to bite the bullet and go black wheels (shudders)

I still think the Conical shape is closest.

They were the ones I took a little bit off each side, to make them as close to Radial Slim as I could.

How much would a cheap, battery recharge type of angle grinder cost?

Might cost less than your sanity with no more Radial Slims...

;)

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4987 on: April 27, 2023, 07:52:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They were the ones I took a little bit off each side, to make them as close to Radial Slim as I could.

;)

I want to do this to my conicals. I keep talking about it. I’m just afraid I’m gonna mess up. Like have 4 different radiuses or something.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4988 on: April 27, 2023, 06:14:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

;)
[close]

I want to do this to my conicals. I keep talking about it. I’m just afraid I’m gonna mess up. Like have 4 different radiuses or something.

I found it best to work on an old set of wheels first, feel it out and see what is good.

When I hold the angle grinder, I usually have one hand firmly on the handle, the other supporting the guard on it while resting on the truck, often but not always a foot on the board, flat on its back on a solid floor.

That was easier than on a bench, in a vice or other thing, but everyone is different, so see what works for you more than anything.

Also just go easy at it, a little here going more back and forth, left to right or rocking motion as I did it - figure out what is best and don't do too much at a time.

For the Conical to Radial Slim shape, I took off just a little of the middle area (widest point) and slightly rounded it back over that edge to the riding surface, so they really didn't need much at all for that change.

When I round off the Conical Full to a bit more rounder edge, it takes a bit more.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4989 on: April 27, 2023, 08:28:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

;)
[close]

[close]

I found it best to work on an old set of wheels first, feel it out and see what is good.

When I hold the angle grinder, I usually have one hand firmly on the handle, the other supporting the guard on it while resting on the truck, often but not always a foot on the board, flat on its back on a solid floor.

That was easier than on a bench, in a vice or other thing, but everyone is different, so see what works for you more than anything.

Also just go easy at it, a little here going more back and forth, left to right or rocking motion as I did it - figure out what is best and don't do too much at a time.

For the Conical to Radial Slim shape, I took off just a little of the middle area (widest point) and slightly rounded it back over that edge to the riding surface, so they really didn't need much at all for that change.

When I round off the Conical Full to a bit more rounder edge, it takes a bit more.

Well, looks like I got to get those set up again, thanks a mil @Mbrimson88 !
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4990 on: April 27, 2023, 09:00:18 PM »
@Mbrimson88  thanks for explaining it I’m gonna try and do it this weekend maybe tomorrow. If I get a chance to do it I’ll post pics.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 689
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4991 on: April 28, 2023, 07:00:07 AM »
those look sick as fuck i bet you can tip the board up on 2 wheels really easily like that, and noseslide > crook combos all day

switchfakie

« Reply #4992 on: April 28, 2023, 07:30:56 PM »
does anybody know if the colored formula fours feel different than the white ones?

call me crazy but i have this idea in my head that they perform differently

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4993 on: April 28, 2023, 10:30:10 PM »
Expand Quote
To the DLX heads reading
Please, please, please, please please Bring back
OG Classics in 55mm. Best wheel ever and it sucks that it was taken away from us that suddenly
[close]

TOTALLY seconded. One of my all-time favorite wheels.

Yes, this wheel rules.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4994 on: April 28, 2023, 11:32:23 PM »
does anybody know if the colored formula fours feel different than the white ones?

Thankfully they are all exactly the same for the same duro, eg 99 natural or any colour or swirl all perform in the same way, slide the same, etc.

Some of the 101 felt a bit different between different sets, not that colour has anything to do with that, just a bit more funny in how they perform, even between a few different natural / white sets, but I almost feel like the 101 coloured options are more uniform when I have tried them.

Back in the old days (80s), there definitely was something to it, as others have said, different additives for colour options had different effects on the performance of the wheels, but I think somewhere along the way, almost every wheel maker can make wheels of any colour or option that perform the same now.

pops

• Rep: 246
« Reply #4995 on: April 29, 2023, 08:09:51 AM »
So, I recently set up a set of Conical Fulls I rode for two months last winter (indoor park). I cleaned my bearings and tried to put them back and I found in one wheel they barely went in. I had to put a lot more effort to get the bearings in that one wheel than the others. I also seemed to spin worse (differently). Do I have a defect wheel now? I read somewhere here people having at least one bad wheel in a new set.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 804
« Reply #4996 on: April 29, 2023, 10:20:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thankfully they are all exactly the same for the same duro, eg 99 natural or any colour or swirl all perform in the same way, slide the same, etc.

Some of the 101 felt a bit different between different sets, not that colour has anything to do with that, just a bit more funny in how they perform, even between a few different natural / white sets, but I almost feel like the 101 coloured options are more uniform when I have tried them.

Back in the old days (80s), there definitely was something to it, as others have said, different additives for colour options had different effects on the performance of the wheels, but I think somewhere along the way, almost every wheel maker can make wheels of any colour or option that perform the same now.

From what I can tell, white wheels also have dye added to them so it should not feel that different. Urethane is not white. That being said, whenever I use colored wheels I feel like they are a tiny bit softer... probably should perceived. It wouldn't stop me mixing a colored wheel with white wheels though. it is that negligible.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #4997 on: April 29, 2023, 02:19:44 PM »

i will swear by colored spits feeling different. softer, or more forgiving.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4998 on: April 29, 2023, 06:35:28 PM »
So, I recently set up a set of Conical Fulls I rode for two months last winter (indoor park). I cleaned my bearings and tried to put them back and I found in one wheel they barely went in. I had to put a lot more effort to get the bearings in that one wheel than the others. I also seemed to spin worse (differently). Do I have a defect wheel now? I read somewhere here people having at least one bad wheel in a new set.

There were some issues with the bearing seat being a bit off in some wheels from a while back.  I had a set with that issue, returned for a replacement set from the shop, no issues - just the plain blue logo graphic Conical Full 54 mm 99 duro wheels.  Others also found one wheel (usually just one but sometimes two) in various sets had a defect with something similar.

The best way to check is put a bearing on an axle and put the wheel on it, seated fully, then spin the wheel.  Take it off, removing the bearing, turn it over and try it again the other way.  If the wheel spins a bit off center while on either bearing then it is most likely going to be something like that mentioned above.

The wheel I had with that issue just did not seat at all when trying to set up the board, so being brand new it was easy to replace.

Also to note, I have seen wheels left with something sitting on them end up deformed too, like a board box or something a little heavier than normal and a set of wheels left under stuff in the car or where ever.  One set that was skated a lot for a while, worn down a mm or two, then taken off and was in a car, then went to put back on and it was oval shaped.  That happened to someone I know and it was the weirdest thing, as they were not new wheels, but we worked out that is what happened - had a full board box sitting on the wheel for a while and squashed it.

I put a well used old wheel in a vice once just to see and sure enough it flattened it from a nice round shape, that bounced back almost but not completely to more a slight oval when released, not that anyone should do something like that to good wheels.

pops

« Reply #4999 on: April 30, 2023, 03:01:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There were some issues with the bearing seat being a bit off in some wheels from a while back.  I had a set with that issue, returned for a replacement set from the shop, no issues - just the plain blue logo graphic Conical Full 54 mm 99 duro wheels.  Others also found one wheel (usually just one but sometimes two) in various sets had a defect with something similar.

The best way to check is put a bearing on an axle and put the wheel on it, seated fully, then spin the wheel.  Take it off, removing the bearing, turn it over and try it again the other way.  If the wheel spins a bit off center while on either bearing then it is most likely going to be something like that mentioned above.

The wheel I had with that issue just did not seat at all when trying to set up the board, so being brand new it was easy to replace.

Also to note, I have seen wheels left with something sitting on them end up deformed too, like a board box or something a little heavier than normal and a set of wheels left under stuff in the car or where ever.  One set that was skated a lot for a while, worn down a mm or two, then taken off and was in a car, then went to put back on and it was oval shaped.  That happened to someone I know and it was the weirdest thing, as they were not new wheels, but we worked out that is what happened - had a full board box sitting on the wheel for a while and squashed it.

I put a well used old wheel in a vice once just to see and sure enough it flattened it from a nice round shape, that bounced back almost but not completely to more a slight oval when released, not that anyone should do something like that to good wheels.

Yeah, so I double checked this and one of the bearing seats fits very tightly / is a bit off on one the CF 99d wheels. It still spins fairly well but differently than the other three so I might as well skate it as is. I also checked a set of 99d Conical regs and bearings went in just nicely and the wheels spin very well.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #5000 on: April 30, 2023, 05:04:28 AM »
 Just wanna say I've tried all the soft/hybrid wheels in the last months because of a super slippery new miniramp near me. And in the end, nothing performed as well in terms of grip and slide than 57mm 99a F4 radials I've had laying around anyway. They're 56 now, super wide riding surface and feel perfect. Surprisingly grippy on turns, but no friction against the coping.

The coldest take: F4 wheels are really good

(In terms of small/skinny wheels, the bones 97a performed the best)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 08:10:07 AM by goodatmeth »

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #5001 on: April 30, 2023, 05:47:28 AM »
Expand Quote
To the DLX heads reading
Please, please, please, please please Bring back
OG Classics in 55mm. Best wheel ever and it sucks that it was taken away from us that suddenly
[close]

TOTALLY seconded. One of my all-time favorite wheels.

lol i learned so many tricks on that wheel. it locked in on buttery ledges better than a tablet

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #5002 on: April 30, 2023, 05:48:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
i will swear by colored spits feeling different. softer, or more forgiving.

they dont have the same bark on smooth ground as raw spits and they for sure feel softer

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #5003 on: April 30, 2023, 05:50:28 AM »
Does anyone know of the major difference between skating the 56 and 55mm classic shapes? i remember someone mentioned before that 56mm is a bigger difference in the wheel being a 53mm radial after they wear down, one more like a radial slim vs. regular radial or something

pops

« Reply #5004 on: April 30, 2023, 05:56:22 AM »
Just wanna say I've tried all the soft/hybrid wheels in the last months because of a super slippery new miniramp near me. And in the end, nothing performed as well in terms of grip and slide than 57mm F4 radials I've had laying around anyway. They're 56 now, super wide riding surface and feel perfect. Surprisingly grippy on turns, but no friction against the coping.

Were the Spits 97a as well? I've been eyeing those and about to get them. Or the bones 97a.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #5005 on: April 30, 2023, 08:05:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Just wanna say I've tried all the soft/hybrid wheels in the last months because of a super slippery new miniramp near me. And in the end, nothing performed as well in terms of grip and slide than 57mm F4 radials I've had laying around anyway. They're 56 now, super wide riding surface and feel perfect. Surprisingly grippy on turns, but no friction against the coping.

[close]

Were the Spits 97a as well? I've been eyeing those and about to get them. Or the bones 97a.

My radials are 99a. Should have mentioned that. Gonna edit it.

Gotta say bones 97a >>> spit 97a on any terrain.

Spit 97 feels like a 98 that just doesn't slide as well when you want it to slide. The bones 97 actually give you grip and slide, even in a slim shape.

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #5006 on: April 30, 2023, 10:31:30 AM »
Does anyone know of the major difference between skating the 56 and 55mm classic shapes? i remember someone mentioned before that 56mm is a bigger difference in the wheel being a 53mm radial after they wear down, one more like a radial slim vs. regular radial or something

There’s only a 0.3mm increase in both width and riding surface, it’s negligible. Especially once they wear down a couple mm I can’t tell the difference between the two.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5007 on: April 30, 2023, 01:43:47 PM »

I ended up using an angle grinder to round out one side my conical regs.  So they are like a skinnier lock in. I’m not sure if I got all the radiuses to match but I’m pretty happy with them. Lock in and I got some assist on scoop tricks. I’ll probably round the other side out when they begin to cone

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5008 on: April 30, 2023, 05:39:20 PM »

I ended up using an angle grinder to round out one side my conical regs.  So they are like a skinnier lock in. I’m not sure if I got all the radiuses to match but I’m pretty happy with them. Lock in and I got some assist on scoop tricks. I’ll probably round the other side out when they begin to cone

That looks pretty good, so yeah, just nice and slow at working them and it is easy to do a bit here and there as needed.

I do both sides of the wheel while on the board, but the inside edge is harder to do than the outside edge and I often scored the truck hanger here and there when getting used to the process, so it is worth doing them all one way, then flipping the wheels over and doing the other side from the outside edge as well.

The main thing for me, that I noticed immediately is how much more the wheels felt like newer wheels do on coping or edges, after I had rounded off the worn down squared off edge of the Conical Full wheels to be a bit more in between shapes, but I like a little more rounded edge.

It is all down to personal preference too, so you can really customise the wheel shapes to whatever you want.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #5009 on: May 01, 2023, 07:05:01 AM »

I felt no difference performance wise
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.