Author Topic: The Indy Thread  (Read 129757 times)

OHJEEZZZUUSSS and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 750
Re: The Indy Thread
« Reply #270 on: December 03, 2022, 05:21:00 AM »
I�m ready. You can all cancel me after this.

I don�t get why Indy is abandoning their branding. Like the iron cross stuff. Just because some uncultured Cancel-Karen got offended from a logo, Indy has to change all their stickers, hoodies, t-shirts and trucks.

The Teutonic order were like German Red Cross in the Middle Ages. And in modern times have been strictly religious and charitable, until they were abolished by the nazi party in 1938. They were couped, and their sick-ass logo stolen.
I�m sure it�s probably all very masonic-illuminati-DaVinci codeesque nowadays.
But like - not nazi at all.
Also, like I don�t know shit about NorCal and biker gangs and shit, but that iron cross can�t be that bad.

Indy just want to be more gentrified, so that moms that want to buy skateboards for their kids, will pick their trucks.

I�m going to miss it a little. The sheer arrogance of �RTB -FTR� was brilliant.

I feel like most people who are truly that upset about the logo change inevitably have the old Indy iron cross logo tattooed somewhere on their body, so they can just look at that when they get sad that it’s no longer on the baseplate of the truck where it disappears after about a week of nose/tailslides anyway

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #271 on: December 03, 2022, 06:09:49 AM »

I don�t get why Indy is abandoning their branding. Like the iron cross stuff. Just because some uncultured Cancel-Karen got offended from a logo, Indy has to change all their stickers, hoodies, t-shirts and trucks.

The Teutonic order were like German Red Cross in the Middle Ages. And in modern times have been strictly religious and charitable, until they were abolished by the nazi party in 1938. They were couped, and their sick-ass logo stolen.
Also, like I don�t know shit about NorCal and biker gangs and shit, but that iron cross can�t be that bad.

Indy just want to be more gentrified, so that moms that want to buy skateboards for their kids, will pick their trucks.

I have no idea why ostensibly grown adults with real lives to live spend their time on earth concerned with the branding of the Independent Truck Company.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Scholesey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 24
« Reply #272 on: December 03, 2022, 06:37:23 AM »
Well after all those sleepless nights of not being able to accept that I ride Indy again (a bit of exaggerating) and thinking about how I like DLX and how stable Ventures but do not turn how I like (riding the cool wave), I ordered some 8.5 Foy Thunders and am going back to the middle ground.

Indy always in my heart tho, I’m gonna lurk here anyway. Godspeed.

P.S. Wish me luck, hopefully these is the real end (for like a 14th time) of my madness.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #273 on: December 03, 2022, 08:52:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Sorry, I feel like I’m butting into this thread with some random question, but it’s driving me crazy. Were Indy stage x trucks slightly different width? I have a bunch of pairs, at least one of which must be stage X , and some are 9” and others 9.125”. I thought they were all 169s.

“But OMC, why does it matter??”

Because sometimes a brother needs to verify that he’s not losing his shit, that’s why.  :(
[close]

No worries, that's what it is here for. And look at all this cool old info we got from @Mbrimson88 after you asked.

Expand Quote

[close]

Yea this discussion has been had a thousand times. And while you might be technically right, most people don't view the symbol that way. Nazis stole the swastika too, but people still largely attribute that symbol as belonging to them. Given the public perspective, Indy probably did the right thing to abandon the iron cross. Don't really think it's up to a truck company to try and educate people on things like that. And I don't really feel like they felt strongly enough about it to risk the company over it.

If you read through instagram/youtube comments the public perspective is definitely not in favor of removing the iron cross. i see more people at the skatepark wearing the old logo on t shirts/clothing than i ever do wearing the new logo. indy blew it and it's like they tried to retain their edgy image by doing that lame ass collab with slayer among other things but no one buys it. they lost a lot of loyal supporters who probably are experimenting with ace or thunder now
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

beepbeep

• Rep: 4
« Reply #274 on: December 03, 2022, 09:54:40 AM »
New logo is whatever? The trucks are sick af. Tragic they no longer get the diehard iron cross historians amped, RIP. Luckily thunder, ace, venture make good trucks with decent logos, and there are no shortage of other options. Maybe the Slappy truck logo will be a better vibe for them.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #275 on: December 03, 2022, 10:15:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Sorry, I feel like I’m butting into this thread with some random question, but it’s driving me crazy. Were Indy stage x trucks slightly different width? I have a bunch of pairs, at least one of which must be stage X , and some are 9” and others 9.125”. I thought they were all 169s.

Because sometimes a brother needs to verify that he’s not losing his shit, that’s why.  :(
[close]

No worries, that's what it is here for. And look at all this cool old info we got from @Mbrimson88 after you asked.

Expand Quote

[close]

Yea this discussion has been had a thousand times. And while you might be technically right, most people don't view the symbol that way. Nazis stole the swastika too, but people still largely attribute that symbol as belonging to them. Given the public perspective, Indy probably did the right thing to abandon the iron cross. Don't really think it's up to a truck company to try and educate people on things like that. And I don't really feel like they felt strongly enough about it to risk the company over it.
[close]

If you read through instagram/youtube comments the public perspective is definitely not in favor of removing the iron cross. i see more people at the skatepark wearing the old logo on t shirts/clothing than i ever do wearing the new logo. indy blew it and it's like they tried to retain their edgy image by doing that lame ass collab with slayer among other things but no one buys it. they lost a lot of loyal supporters who probably are experimenting with ace or thunder now

Dude that's a terrible way to look at things.

1. That's not the public opinion, it's a loud minority and most people don't care at all.

2. You see more of the old logo because clothes with that logo have been sold for decades, so there are a loooot of them.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #276 on: December 03, 2022, 10:24:10 AM »
New logo is whatever? The trucks are sick af. Tragic they no longer get the diehard iron cross historians amped, RIP. Luckily thunder, ace, venture make good trucks with decent logos, and there are no shortage of other options. Maybe the Slappy truck logo will be a better vibe for them.

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
This right here. Most people don’t care and the lack of the iron cross doesn’t change the fact that they’re great trucks

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #277 on: December 03, 2022, 11:45:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Dude that's a terrible way to look at things.

1. That's not the public opinion, it's a loud minority and most people don't care at all.

2. You see more of the old logo because clothes with that logo have been sold for decades, so there are a loooot of them.

people wearing the old independent logo on their clothes are definitely doing it intentionally. the logo was deemed a nazi symbol yet people are still risking reputation by wearing it, most likely to imply they think catering to the pc crowd is wack.

that being said, realistically the truth is probably somewhere between our two opinions
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #278 on: December 03, 2022, 02:02:01 PM »

sorry mate, had to be done

Haha, love it. Probably had to.

I have no idea why ostensibly grown adults with real lives to live spend their time on earth concerned with the branding of the Independent Truck Company.

Nor do I! Admittedly it’s a lil’ silly. Why should change in the first place.
If the pope can wear it why can’t Indy truck Co?

It was a Prussian medal of bravery. And I think that skateboarders sometimes are deserving of those. I think it fits perfectly. Like, you get to wear a badge if you do gnarly shit.

I weren’t in slap for the first 1000 discussions about this. Sorry for bringing it up again, I was merely reacting to a comment a few post above mine.
I think you’re right 100% - I just wish everyone who gets easily offended didn’t always have their way, and make everyone else dance to their tune.
It’s less of a struggle to just succumb and change shit up. But it does take away from their rebellious image and their history.

Same story with the upside down cross. That shit still a Christian symbol.

Also it could be debated that the Indy cross isn’t exactly like the Prussian/German one.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #279 on: December 03, 2022, 02:16:44 PM »
Indy cross isn’t an iron cross. Don’t give a shit that they got rid of it either. If you base your life on an advertisement that’s pretty sad.
Here’s a real Indy tattoo:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CloMwL0gUIf/?igshid=Zjc2ZTc4Nzk=
Burn baby, burn.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 10:22:56 PM by Plan9Customs »

IpathCats

« Reply #280 on: December 03, 2022, 08:05:47 PM »

IpathCats

« Reply #281 on: December 05, 2022, 06:23:51 AM »
Well after all those sleepless nights of not being able to accept that I ride Indy again (a bit of exaggerating) and thinking about how I like DLX and how stable Ventures but do not turn how I like (riding the cool wave), I ordered some 8.5 Foy Thunders and am going back to the middle ground.

P.S. Wish me luck, hopefully these is the real end (for like a 14th time) of my madness.

You'll be back, they all come back.

Thunder turn, grind, bushings, and wheelbite will bring you back.

Unless you are like REALLY good and technical. Then you might be happier over there.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #282 on: December 05, 2022, 08:07:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Unless you are like REALLY good and technical. Then you might be happier over there.

I'm not really good or very technical and at 200lbs I don't get wheel bite with my 151s, (stock bushings, nut flush). I def get a little wheel rub but not to the point of biting until I stop. 1/8" riser is all I need. I honestly prefer the way Thunder turn with a riser also and def prefer the turn to an Indy. Rotating between Ace and Thunder leaves me little use for Indy.

I'll certainly be tempted to check out those Stage 4 reissues... but generally speaking the height and quick response of Ace and Thunder feels way better to me.

IpathCats

« Reply #283 on: December 05, 2022, 09:46:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm not really good or very technical and at 200lbs I don't get wheel bite with my 151s, (stock bushings, nut flush). I def get a little wheel rub but not to the point of biting until I stop. 1/8" riser is all I need. I honestly prefer the way Thunder turn with a riser also and def prefer the turn to an Indy. Rotating between Ace and Thunder leaves me little use for Indy.

I'll certainly be tempted to check out those Stage 4 reissues... but generally speaking the height and quick response of Ace and Thunder feels way better to me.

Not wanting to rotate between ace and thunder IS the use for indy haha. I'm just messing around though. Ride what you have the most fun/skate the best on!

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #284 on: December 05, 2022, 10:21:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

"The loudest and most annoying mouthbreather cranks in the comment section are deeply unhappy about a brand changing their logo. This is bad news for the Independent Truck Company!"

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #285 on: December 05, 2022, 10:30:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Not wanting to rotate between ace and thunder IS the use for indy haha. I'm just messing around though. Ride what you have the most fun/skate the best on!

That's a good point. Indy is a nice compromise between Ace and Thunder. But I'm OK rotating. I am mostly on Ace but keep my 151s for the occasional shorter wheelbase deck or when I want a more stable set up.

sk8_cat

• Rep: 3
« Reply #286 on: December 05, 2022, 02:58:43 PM »
Hey everyone - quick question I had a pair of forged hollows but the mounting holes at some point got crazy eggshaped, probably because the hardware got loose, now since I can't get replacement baseplates I got a pair of cast baseplates with the inverted kingpin, I imagine that the rest of the truck is the same across all versions right? so I should effectively have the same as a standard hollow in the end? I know this may sound stupid but I am asking just in case I am missing something.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #287 on: December 05, 2022, 03:51:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thunder bushings, turn, and grind are fine. Made up bullshit. Unless you live in super cold climates, but I had Indy bushings feel just as melty in the heat as Thunder, hold my grinds just as well on both. I'm not really good and technical, it's just a nice truck that works with the way I like to turn. I was getting a lot of wheelbite for a minute on 149s, but looking at pics of old decks I get a lot less on Thunders now than on Indy Standards. The only thing bringing me back to Indy is industry brainwashing.

IpathCats

« Reply #288 on: December 05, 2022, 07:39:21 PM »
Hey everyone - quick question I had a pair of forged hollows but the mounting holes at some point got crazy eggshaped, probably because the hardware got loose, now since I can't get replacement baseplates I got a pair of cast baseplates with the inverted kingpin, I imagine that the rest of the truck is the same across all versions right? so I should effectively have the same as a standard hollow in the end? I know this may sound stupid but I am asking just in case I am missing something.

Yes, I believe those baseplates will make your trucks the standard Indy height 55mm vs 53.5 on the forged

IpathCats

« Reply #289 on: December 05, 2022, 07:40:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thunder bushings, turn, and grind are fine. Made up bullshit. Unless you live in super cold climates, but I had Indy bushings feel just as melty in the heat as Thunder, hold my grinds just as well on both. I'm not really good and technical, it's just a nice truck that works with the way I like to turn. I was getting a lot of wheelbite for a minute on 149s, but looking at pics of old decks I get a lot less on Thunders now than on Indy Standards. The only thing bringing me back to Indy is industry brainwashing.

Tell us how you really feel.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #290 on: December 05, 2022, 09:13:01 PM »
Slap makes way too big of a deal about trucks. They're all perfectly fine when you find one that turns and pops like you like. There is no #1 because trucks are a zero sum game.

IpathCats

« Reply #291 on: December 06, 2022, 07:04:55 AM »
Slap makes way too big of a deal about trucks. They're all perfectly fine when you find one that turns and pops like you like. There is no #1 because trucks are a zero sum game.

Yea, it's all a matter of taste/perspective. But there are obvious strengths/weaknesses of each, that's why it ultimately comes down to the individual.

This is from the thunder thread though, from a thunder rider.

The elephant in the room here is the thunder bushings. Oh man it's been such a shitshow for me - I am a bigger dude that lives in a hot climate so right off the bat the stock bushings are too loose and they would crack within 3 sessions anyway. The onlything I could do was get the aftermarket rebuild kits for 95 and 100 duro, these are kind of shit on the first sessions until they break in as is perfectly normal, then they keep getting looser and looser at a pretty noticable rate let alone the temperature sensitivity and the blowouts. At some point the 100du ones felt like they were loose but just with a pretty slow rebound. Idk at the end of the day the fact that they quickly change their response is the worst bit for me it makes it hard to get used to. Otherwise great trucks.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #292 on: December 06, 2022, 07:26:04 AM »
Ya not surprised heavy riders crack bushings all the time. My 200lb friend does the same with Indy Orange. Trucks are designed for 140lb kids. Another friend rides the 97A rebuild kit just fine and is a heavier dude. They are bad in the cold that's for sure although I've got no issues in the low 50's myself. Meanwhile the gazillion people I know that ride Thunder in the Bay seem just fine and thought it was weird when I had a washer/bushing issue. Id hardly say a Slap review is endemic.

I know if I switched back to Indy it would be for none of the reasons you listed .

IpathCats

« Reply #293 on: December 06, 2022, 07:29:54 AM »
Ya not surprised heavy riders crack bushings all the time. My 200lb friend does the same with Indy Orange. Meanwhile the gazillion people I know that ride Thunder in the Bay seem just fine and thought it was weird when I had a washer/bushing issue. Id hardly say a Slap review is endemic.

From my experience, thunder bushings crack more easily. I'm 165-175lbs.

I destroyed a set in roughly a month, and when i replaced them I cracked one of the new bottoms completely through in the first session. I was running the nut about flush to maybe 1/2 a thread showing at the most.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #294 on: December 06, 2022, 08:09:11 AM »
not sure if anyone has mentioned this in this thread but if you want to get rid of that horrible squeak that indy's make, just lube the pivot cup. not sure what the best product is for this. i thought it was the bushings for the longest time but nope. i put indy bushings in my ace trucks and no noise at all. so it has to be the pivot cups.  i noticed the other brands (At least ACE) put some goop in there, but indy just goes in dry.

IpathCats

« Reply #295 on: December 06, 2022, 08:12:11 AM »
not sure if anyone has mentioned this in this thread but if you want to get rid of that horrible squeak that indy's make, just lube the pivot cup. not sure what the best product is for this. i thought it was the bushings for the longest time but nope. i put indy bushings in my ace trucks and no noise at all. so it has to be the pivot cups.  i noticed the other brands (At least ACE) put some goop in there, but indy just goes in dry.

Dab a qtip in motor oil and coat all surfaces as lightly as possible.

Steezuschrist69

• Rep: 1
« Reply #296 on: December 06, 2022, 08:47:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Finally a thread to get something off my chest.  Is it technically “Indys” or “Indies” when pluralized?
[close]

This is it. I always write "indy trucks" because I just don't know the answer.
I'd have to say "Indys" because it looks more correct. That is all. But who knows? Definitely not me.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #297 on: December 06, 2022, 09:30:00 AM »
When a regular noun ends in a consonant + y, you add "ies". However "Indy" shortens the name "Independent", which is a proper noun. In the case of proper nouns, you do not change the spelling, and you simply add an S to the end. There are exceptions, such as when a name ends with X, S, Z, CH, or SH, none of which applies here.

For example, the Kennedy family doesn't become the Kennedies when they gather in a large group, they become the Kennedys. Independent is no different.

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #298 on: December 06, 2022, 09:33:51 AM »
https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/forged-hollow-mid-independent-skateboard-trucks?variant=41990083674269

At the 50.5mm height, these are almost like Indy “lows”. Usually low trucks always have issues with kingpin clearance but since these have the ikp shouldn’t be an issue. Food for thought

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1021
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #299 on: December 06, 2022, 10:15:25 AM »
https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/forged-hollow-mid-independent-skateboard-trucks?variant=41990083674269

At the 50.5mm height, these are almost like Indy “lows”. Usually low trucks always have issues with kingpin clearance but since these have the ikp shouldn’t be an issue. Food for thought

These are my go to Indy model these days. They feel so good paired with 51mm or under wheels.