Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 214594 times)

Dkeppel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4620 on: February 18, 2024, 12:22:12 AM »
I've been skating Nike SB Force 58 shoes for just over a month now, they felt great in the store but within a week I started having issues with inner arch and ankle pain, and I'd never had any issues with ankle/arch pain in the past.

Especially after walking/running in these shoes, my inner arches and ankles will ache for at least a day.

I have quite wide/flat feet and they feel too slim around the heel area, and that causes the shoes to push my feet up onto the outer arch part of the foot.

Anyone else had issues with these shoes? And any recommendations for this wide/flat footed skater?

Cheers.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4621 on: February 18, 2024, 02:45:57 AM »
I've been skating Nike SB Force 58 shoes for just over a month now, they felt great in the store but within a week I started having issues with inner arch and ankle pain, and I'd never had any issues with ankle/arch pain in the past.

Especially after walking/running in these shoes, my inner arches and ankles will ache for at least a day.

I have quite wide/flat feet and they feel too slim around the heel area, and that causes the shoes to push my feet up onto the outer arch part of the foot.

Anyone else had issues with these shoes? And any recommendations for this wide/flat footed skater?

Cheers.

Probably because it's narrow around the arch area and heel area. I have wide flat feet and Nikes / Adidas have always been a painful time especially since they slim out around the toe box, regardless if they are chiller, running or skate shoes. I will go up 1/2 a size as chillers but not use them to skate.

If they're still hurting your feet after a month of skating then you should consider retiring them early. Your feet shouldn't be suffering at the expense of a shoe.

I like the 1010s, a little long in the toe area when I got a TTS pair but I got over it pretty quickly. Really comfy and the durability on the upper and outsole have been amazing, I could use them as chillers for a few weeks while still skating them. And the look down factor is a huge plus.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ratking

• Rep: 5
« Reply #4622 on: February 18, 2024, 05:13:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Was there a piece off gear you forced yourself to ride that ended up being for the better dnd that you stuck with? Like a shorter WB board or taper tail vs full, bigger wheels, etc..
[close]

I'd say it was the NB1010s. I spent good money on them, and they felt absolutely awful, so I moved them to street shoes. After a few months, I tried skating them again and they were probably the best shoe I've ever used.
[close]

I full agree. I didn't wanna fuck with NB but there's no option that I can see to the 808. Which I'm my opinion is the perfect skate shoe.
Sometimes you gotta put aside the pride and buy stuff you don't wanna to have good health.
I can honestly say that I'm 98% back. So long as snow isn't in the mail. Then slight discomfort.

I had to learn how to walk again when I was 21. Was on a cane a second time rowing around for 2 years when I was like 25 from a fucked up surgery on my ass bone from an injury that happened when I was like 15.
I gotta find every loop hole I can to keep rolling till my day of death. And I was being fucked by every other brands flat ass shoes.
Skating forever no matter what has always been the mission. And I've never been actually lost lost. I just got somewhat confused a month or 18.
I was always knowing I coming back.

I'm NEVER going to stop. Even if I gotta go full Signal Hill style and never bang my tail again. I'd be almost nothing with out the board nearby. I cannot do without.
Damn. That sent me on an emotional roller coaster ride from hell. I get depressed when my annual ankle roll shows up, cant imagine learning to walk. Definitely be thinking about this next time I'm too tired after work.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4623 on: February 18, 2024, 03:53:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
@Xen
smaller wheels
sure they are not as fast as 56s or 58s
but it forces another push out of me
and feeling close to the ground is huge when youre tall
honestly should switch to x97/x99 to combat rough ground
just not sure which formula, want it to be one and done

longer boards too, switched cold turkey
31.75/14wb up to 32.5/14.5wb thinking id hate it
im visibly skating better and more confidently
not sure if its the wheelbase or overall length
but something feels right
[close]

I've always been a fan of low and wide, so small wheels and 149s (but not lo trucks persay)
I find that don't skate as much 'rough' ground to warrant the x97s - x99s are passible on the one or two really rough spots I hit, the trade off is better 'everything else, everywhere else' with x99s.

32.5/14.5 is big boy territory; these days I struggle with shorter, narrower, small WB boards. i.e., anything under 14.25"WB, 8.5", 31.75" all feel off - tried my hand on an 8.75x31.75x14.125" wb - on paper it fits what I think I need, underfoot it might as well be a 7.75" =D

What trucks are you riding? While this could go in the madness thread, I find that I need 149s/159s...144/148 territory, again, might as well be 129s...so weird.
[close]
im a big boy @ 6’6
my shorty just said 35% torso and 65% leg
i think this is an appropriate sized board
looks right on camera
saw what skaters my height were skating and its all 32-33
so now its just a skill issue lol

im on 6.1 hollow lights but can switch to solid axle easy
151s in any configuration would be my next favorite
and ive tried almost everything
i like wide trucks and have big feet, admittedly biased

as for the dimensions, ill say it might be the wheelbase
i gotta agree that 14.25 works better than 14.125wb
something aint right there, maybe forged plates?
maybe just not enough landing room for me

sub 14.25 has always felt weird at a filmable speed
you should give 8.75/32/14.25 a try next
alien workshop (i dont think you should keep them alive)
might have you sorted with a shape
off the top of my head

seems like i gotta “test” both bones formulas to ever k now
but ill start with x97 and if i cant blunt then its settled

Daaaaamn 6.6, yeah you need a long wb and length for sure to accommodate that stance. I assume I have a wide stance (5'10" / 10.5 shoe / 32" inseam, so pretty average), I can hop on a 14.375 or 14.5" after skating a 14.25 and instantly feel it, doesn't matter how long the board is..I've tried forged plates, cast and 73468723 truck brands and none of them have such a dramatic effect on a 14.25 at all, 14" a little bit - going up in WB is the biggest change.

A lot of the time, if things feel off, I can put 149s (instead of 144/148s) that stability really helps (just like the longer WB does, ya know?); it doesn't help as much as I would like tho (like on those 14.125" WB bloards.) Another thing that I've noticed is the steeper the kicks the longer the WB needs to be so I don't feel cramped, conversely, a flatter board feels fine with 14.25".

I was looking at this AWS https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Alien_Workshop_Gasmask-33_Deck/descpage-AWGM33DK.html - seems like it would do me; it's either that or this polar https://usa.polarskateco.com/collections/winter-23-hardgoods/products/roman-gonzalez-demon-child (but am wary of the length).

I'm so picky with my bluntslides man...if I know I'm going to do them that day, I switch to 103a STFs nothing comes close for me, they just glide/so easy to control everything else is slower and stickier (even 101a spits) - for the record I like to travel when I slide and grind, none of this bitch as 6" slides and shit, but go the distance.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 05:02:54 PM by Xen »

Dkeppel

« Reply #4624 on: February 18, 2024, 06:49:42 PM »
Expand Quote

Cheers.
[close]

Probably because it's narrow around the arch area and heel area. I have wide flat feet and Nikes / Adidas have always been a painful time especially since they slim out around the toe box, regardless if they are chiller, running or skate shoes. I will go up 1/2 a size as chillers but not use them to skate.

If they're still hurting your feet after a month of skating then you should consider retiring them early. Your feet shouldn't be suffering at the expense of a shoe.

I like the 1010s, a little long in the toe area when I got a TTS pair but I got over it pretty quickly. Really comfy and the durability on the upper and outsole have been amazing, I could use them as chillers for a few weeks while still skating them. And the look down factor is a huge plus.

Yup I think your right, skating in my boat shoes is more comfortable but they are getting destroyed really fast. I'm going to have to retire the Nike SB shoes, which is a shame but its not worth the pain at my age to save a few bucks.

I tried on some Etnie Marana's today and they felt pretty nice, these are the same NB shoe you like correct?https://www.backdoor.co.nz/product/nm1010-tiago-lemos/nb-nm1010s23.aspx?c=3460

I can buy these shoes locally I'll give them a try on tomorrow.

daewonbong3000

« Reply #4625 on: February 18, 2024, 07:02:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Are there any thin shoes (need boardfeel) with a bit of a thicker padded tongue? The top of my foot is swollen from the board falling on it and I wish there was more protection.
Currently skating emerica dicksons and there's nothing.
[close]

Vans Rowans have a nice padded tongue and collar, tho maybe a bit beefier overall than you'd like. Still great boardfeel imo.

Vans Chukka Lows have a mad padded tongue.

Vans K-Walks are cupsole but still on the slimmer side, also a nice amount of cushion

A number of vulc NB# models should have some padding, I'll leave the specifics to the NB experts tho

GT Blazers have a smidge of tongue padding, not too familiar with other Nike SB's tho.

Small list of the top of my head, others would probably know more.
[close]
Thanks! I have rowans and kwalks(slip). They do have just a tiny bit more than my emericas and I don't think that's enough.
The etnies joslins have a really good amount, those are my walking shoes currently and I hope I can manage skating them soon, sole is a lot thicker and stiffer than what I'm used to.

Vans 96. Great grippy sole you can expect from vans vulcs. Stock insole is pretty hefty but you can always switch it for something thinner. Really fat tongue and collar though, feel great on foot. Plus they’re a reissue of a shoe that no one ever thought would come out again and you can look like a total g.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4626 on: February 19, 2024, 10:47:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
@Xen
smaller wheels

[close]

I've always been a fan of low and wide, so small wheels and 149s (but not lo trucks persay)
I find that don't skate as much 'rough' ground to warrant the x97s - x99s are passible on the one or two really rough spots I hit, the trade off is better 'everything else, everywhere else' with x99s.

32.5/14.5 is big boy territory; these days I struggle with shorter, narrower, small WB boards. i.e., anything under 14.25"WB, 8.5", 31.75" all feel off - tried my hand on an 8.75x31.75x14.125" wb - on paper it fits what I think I need, underfoot it might as well be a 7.75" =D

What trucks are you riding? While this could go in the madness thread, I find that I need 149s/159s...144/148 territory, again, might as well be 129s...so weird.
[close]
im a big boy @ 6’6
looks right on camera

off the top of my head

[close]

Daaaaamn 6.6, yeah you need a long wb and length for sure to accommodate that stance. I assume I have a wide stance (5'10" / 10.5 shoe / 32" inseam, so pretty average), I can hop on a 14.375 or 14.5" after skating a 14.25 and instantly feel it, doesn't matter how long the board is..I've tried forged plates, cast and 73468723 truck brands and none of them have such a dramatic effect on a 14.25 at all, 14" a little bit - going up in WB is the biggest change.

A lot of the time, if things feel off, I can put 149s (instead of 144/148s) that stability really helps (just like the longer WB does, ya know?); it doesn't help as much as I would like tho (like on those 14.125" WB bloards.) Another thing that I've noticed is the steeper the kicks the longer the WB needs to be so I don't feel cramped, conversely, a flatter board feels fine with 14.25".

I was looking at this AWS https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Alien_Workshop_Gasmask-33_Deck/descpage-AWGM33DK.html - seems like it would do me; it's either that or this polar https://usa.polarskateco.com/collections/winter-23-hardgoods/products/roman-gonzalez-demon-child (but am wary of the length).

I'm so picky with my bluntslides man...if I know I'm going to do them that day, I switch to 103a STFs nothing comes close for me, they just glide/so easy to control everything else is slower and stickier (even 101a spits) - for the record I like to travel when I slide and grind, none of this bitch as 6" slides and shit, but go the distance.
board dims are pretty funny to me now
being that ive been on sizes too narrow for years
the shortest board i liked off top was a quasi 8.5/31.75/14.25
but it feels so dishonest
i wouldnt ride let alone buy a deck that thin again

9.0 - 9.25 is apparently just my size
but my wb tests are limited in this range
ive tried 13.875, 14.0, 14.5, 14.75, and 15 inch wb
on popsicle or popsicle adjacent shapes
theres a big gap between 14 and 14.5
ill update my findings the more these dims become available
9.0/32.1/14.375wb is looking like the next purchase

shape matters a lot to me tho
the farther away from pointy kicks, the better
no eggs or football shapes for me

as for trucks, i spent some time on 5.6s
then tried 5.8s with a quasi 8.38 and said fuck it, go 6.1
i have not switched since
sticking with a truck has made it easier to judge boards
but it did take a relative fortune to find a pair to commit to
when the dust settles ill give ace low 60s a shot
but only with my favorite tested shapes and wheels
keeps the variables in check and makes it truck vs truck

testing out 8.38 shapes seems hellish
ive never met a 9 popsicle that wasnt as advertised
the worst that could happen is taper by the back trucks
not outright being an 8.8 in disguise
best of luck with your endeavors, i couldnt do it

my knees cant handle anything harder than 99a
cant risk it after my knee injury on 101 spits
took me out of for 3.5 months
ill go faster, use more wax, just anything else
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4627 on: February 19, 2024, 12:19:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
@Xen
smaller wheels

[close]

[close]
im a big boy @ 6’6
looks right on camera

off the top of my head

[close]

[close]

You're like me, just taller....I can't do pointy, so yeah, no eggs, as much as I like the idea of them. I need a full/squareish tail/rounded full nose <- uncommon shape combo; think FA tails with DLX round noses...knees hate hard wheels but I do it 50% of the time for certain tricks.

Looking at boards a lot these days and clearly most are using BBS stock dims, most boards are 32 and over these days, 32.1, 32.25 - when did this happen and why? Maybe *I'm* doing it wrong and should be riding a longer board?

I quite enjoyed my ACE lows (44s tho, much too narrow) with hard bushings and the 1/16th ACE riser, very sexy.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #4628 on: February 19, 2024, 12:38:39 PM »
re: longer board

i am way way shorter than ya’ll, but i’ve had multiple instances of longer boards working well.
caveat, i’ve tried so much shit i dunno what works, and what doesn’t.

skating an 8.38 generator shop deck that is over 32 and good.
the brophy shape from crail is an easier one to skate for me. if i needed a big board, that’s what i’d skate. (its 8.6 but long). i’m not mentioning it as a recommendation, ya’ll seem like you have a good bead in what’s next, i was saying it more that it surprised me quite a bit, that i was able to make it work at all. something like 32.56 ish (can’t remember), and i frequently skate boards that are a full inch plus shorter, and like them.
i. am a mess.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4629 on: February 19, 2024, 12:53:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
@Xen
smaller wheels

[close]

[close]
im a big boy @ 6’6
looks right on camera

off the top of my head

[close]

[close]

[close]

You're like me, just taller....I can't do pointy, so yeah, no eggs, as much as I like the idea of them. I need a full/squareish tail/rounded full nose <- uncommon shape combo; think FA tails with DLX round noses...knees hate hard wheels but I do it 50% of the time for certain tricks.

Looking at boards a lot these days and clearly most are using BBS stock dims, most boards are 32 and over these days, 32.1, 32.25 - when did this happen and why? Maybe *I'm* doing it wrong and should be riding a longer board?

I quite enjoyed my ACE lows (44s tho, much too narrow) with hard bushings and the 1/16th ACE riser, very sexy.
ever try the girl/chocolate g033?
thats the only shape i can think of that isnt super wide

i used to think sub 32 boards were a necessity
but this 32.5 made my form so much better
short board/wb combo was good for learning mechanics
but nothing looked nearly as good as it does now
would have never known until i tried it, give it a shot

with the lows id keep em low, no riser
gotta see what im missing since venture wont r&d it
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Notyourmom

• Rep: 6
« Reply #4630 on: February 20, 2024, 03:08:51 AM »
Anybody know if the primitive shape guide is accurate? Especially the 8.5. Looks like a perfect shape with 14.5 wb but everywhere I look online they’re labeled as 14.25-14.3.

Dmng

• Rep: 16
« Reply #4631 on: February 20, 2024, 07:58:17 AM »
Could anyone help me with a truck sizing for my new grimple stix :)?

It’s a 9.8 but the narrowest (around the bottom truck) is about 8.6. I’m debating indies / ace / film trucks. I was thinking about risers and ricta clouds 57mm 86a to do a cruiser.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #4632 on: February 20, 2024, 08:22:46 AM »
If skateboarding died like many slap posters would like to see happen, how many of you would DIY your own skateboards? All of a sudden nobody buys any skate gear and there’s no more produced. The current stock only lasts us 5 years or so… do we generate our own economy of skate goods even though we making no money or is it everyone for themselves DIy mad max mode people at the skate spot all have crazy Frankenstein setups along with custom shapes?

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #4633 on: February 20, 2024, 08:28:03 AM »
If skateboarding died like many slap posters would like to see happen, how many of you would DIY your own skateboards? All of a sudden nobody buys any skate gear and there’s no more produced. The current stock only lasts us 5 years or so… do we generate our own economy of skate goods even though we making no money or is it everyone for themselves DIy mad max mode people at the skate spot all have crazy Frankenstein setups along with custom shapes?

If there are people skateboarding the industry will never truly die, it will just be far more limited.  I would expect more people to DIY and more people to do limited stock handmade decks.  I would consider doing the DIY route depending on how expensive the goods got.  My biggest concern would be getting the needed veneers to press.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 229
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #4634 on: February 20, 2024, 08:49:45 AM »
Is it unethical to trade a board with a shop that you may or may not have got on sale?
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #4635 on: February 20, 2024, 09:08:54 AM »
Is it unethical to trade a board with a shop that you may or may not have got on sale?

as long as you and/or the shop genuinely think they can make an equal profit it's fine. It's not like you're trading a stack of $14 element boards, for a stack of DLX boards... are you?

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 811
« Reply #4636 on: February 20, 2024, 11:03:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If there are people skateboarding the industry will never truly die, it will just be far more limited.  I would expect more people to DIY and more people to do limited stock handmade decks.  I would consider doing the DIY route depending on how expensive the goods got.  My biggest concern would be getting the needed veneers to press.
I'd just skate my wall hangers and order bearings from RS. It will never die that bad thou.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 229
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #4637 on: February 20, 2024, 11:29:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

as long as you and/or the shop genuinely think they can make an equal profit it's fine. It's not like you're trading a stack of $14 element boards, for a stack of DLX boards... are you?

haha no i would never

specifically, I had a duplicate Crail loveseat that I got from one of their mystery boxes, but wasn't hyped on the graphic. I traded it straight across for a black label egg.

I didn't even re-sell it, and the shop marked the Crail board at MSRP. The only the issue I see is the ~20$ difference, but if I didn't make any money anyway, I guess it doesn't matter

Just a random thought I felt kinda off about for one second
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4638 on: February 20, 2024, 11:46:51 AM »
Anybody know if the primitive shape guide is accurate? Especially the 8.5. Looks like a perfect shape with 14.5 wb but everywhere I look online they’re labeled as 14.25-14.3.

@Notyourmom

A buddy of mine only skates 8.5s from primitive (or the DW/Baker 8.5s) because they are consistently 14.5 WB (and he's always had them be spot on).

FWIW, he only skates the pro decks as he prefers the mellower concave compared to the team bloards (china?) which are deeper (talking concave not kicks).

I've ridden a few of their 8.25/8.3s and they're always accurate.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 11:58:16 AM by Xen »

smg1138

• Rep: 42
« Reply #4639 on: February 20, 2024, 12:37:50 PM »
Can anybody recommend a good deck with approximately these specs? Been looking around recently but can't seem to find a shape I like in these dimensions without a crazy long tail, tapered rails or wonky wheelbase. I skate Indy's so super long tails and short wheelbases just don't work well for me unfortunately.

Width: 8.25
Length: 31.875
Wheelbase: 14.25
Nose: 6.875
Tail: 6.5

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4640 on: February 20, 2024, 01:27:05 PM »
Can anybody recommend a good deck with approximately these specs? Been looking around recently but can't seem to find a shape I like in these dimensions without a crazy long tail, tapered rails or wonky wheelbase. I skate Indy's so super long tails and short wheelbases just don't work well for me unfortunately.

what is the baker 8.25?

longer tails mess with me too, but….maybe the longer tails work better with bigger wheels?

smg1138

• Rep: 42
« Reply #4641 on: February 20, 2024, 02:10:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

what is the baker 8.25?

longer tails mess with me too, but….maybe the longer tails work better with bigger wheels?

Yeah I'd really like to know the reason too. I'm thinking longer tails probably work best with Ventures. I just know when I get much past 6.5" it starts noticeably messing with my timing and pop. Sometimes I wish I could skate other trucks but I've been on Indy's since Stage VII and everything else just feels like crap to me. I'm not saying anything new here, but my Indy's are like the heart and soul of my skateboard and I build everything else around that  ;D

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4642 on: February 20, 2024, 02:21:53 PM »

Just from the top of my head and because I like the same specs. Magenta and Sour. Magenta has 2 slightly different 8.25 decks. Medium and steep concave.
Sour has also 2 different 8.25 decks. One of them is shorter as the other. Have to look that up to give you more info.

I think we all grew up with narrower decks and our first Ollies were on small tails. If we have a longer tail (< 6.6) we have to put the foot a bit more in the back, which can feel weird. Do you get ghost pop on your Indys when you ride a board with a longer tail?
IG: @flowterspace

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4643 on: February 20, 2024, 02:30:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

what is the baker 8.25?

[close]

Yeah I'd really like to know the reason too. I'm thinking longer tails probably work best with Ventures. I just know when I get much past 6.5" it starts noticeably messing with my timing and pop. Sometimes I wish I could skate other trucks but I've been on Indy's since Stage VII and everything else just feels like crap to me. I'm not saying anything new here, but my Indy's are like the heart and soul of my skateboard and I build everything else around that  ;D

i skate ventures (mostly), and i like short tails. i’ll admit that is mainly lo’s tho.
one of my favorite shapes, G053, has a sub 6.5 tail, and i’m fairly certain i like the whole shape, based off of that. feels the same as their 7.75.
anyways.
maybe i’m way wrong here, but baker guys were mainly indy for a while there, which makes me think their boards would be a good match.
the hockey/fa boards i had, right when they started (last time i had them) seemed better on indy as well.
my ‘logic’ was to ride decks with the same trucks that the pro would use, in hopes that it was all optimized.

i think tail length might be way more important than i have been considering, but it’s too late, it doesn’t matter for me anymore, i’ve got more gear than talent.
it stands to reason, to me, that tail length and wheel size have a strong relationship. i’ve used setups with taller wheels and longer tails, and it worked out well enough.

baker 8.25 is fairly close to what you want (i think)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4644 on: February 20, 2024, 03:11:12 PM »
Those 8.25 bakers are not 31.875"

Waaaaay back they came in at 32"

Now they are closer to the 31.5" as advertised.

BBS is sloppy as shit across all brands...it's why I try and stay away, at least DSM and PSTix (once you understand how they measure) are accurate.

Long tails and Ventures WITH a short WB - everything balances each other out here (Primitive/April decks).

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4645 on: February 20, 2024, 03:30:00 PM »

Do you ride 144s on your setups?

It's a funny thing cause so many boards are almost those dimensions, more so the BBS Element decks before they went more with the China boards, but one you might want to check if you haven't already is the DLX shorter 8.5 board, often talked about as the blue eagle shape, which is definitely NOT 8.5 in width, but more like about 8.3 all up, but with every other dimension spot on for what you are looking for and the people I know who ride that are on 144s usually.

The only reason I bring that board up, besides the fact that there are a lot around in all different graphics, but it is consistently those dimensions and a lot of people love that board for that fact, that it is not 8.5 in width.

I would say have a look at one in person first if you can, as sometimes people like it and other times they will not, more so if they were actually wanting an 8.5 width, but there are always lots from DLX - Antihero, Real, Krooked, There, etc.

https://www.tactics.com/anti-hero/classic-eagle-85-skateboard-deck/navy

SPECS
SIZE   8.5
LENGTH (IN):   31.8
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.25
NOSE (IN):   6.875
TAIL (IN):   6.5

* Obviously there would be more boards out there that you could find in those dimensions, or close to it, but besides some of the more common ones, or others as already listed, I can't think of many more off the top of my head, but going to a web site that has all dimensions listed and then using the search option, might bring up some more that work for you.

From Tactics, just using one almost universal site that almost anyone can check that has a fair range of boards, I see Baker, Heroin, Polar, Tactics own brand, Space Program, Cleaver, GX1000, Alltimers, Studio, Doom Sayers, Zero, Passport and more all with 14.25 wb and all with about the 6.5 tail, some 6.6 which is less than 2mm difference, but yes I know even a single mm can make a difference.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 03:40:11 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4646 on: February 20, 2024, 04:27:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Do you ride 144s on your setups?

It's a funny thing cause so many boards are almost those dimensions, more so the BBS Element decks before they went more with the China boards, but one you might want to check if you haven't already is the DLX shorter 8.5 board, often talked about as the blue eagle shape, which is definitely NOT 8.5 in width, but more like about 8.3 all up, but with every other dimension spot on for what you are looking for and the people I know who ride that are on 144s usually.

The only reason I bring that board up, besides the fact that there are a lot around in all different graphics, but it is consistently those dimensions and a lot of people love that board for that fact, that it is not 8.5 in width.

I would say have a look at one in person first if you can, as sometimes people like it and other times they will not, more so if they were actually wanting an 8.5 width, but there are always lots from DLX - Antihero, Real, Krooked, There, etc.

https://www.tactics.com/anti-hero/classic-eagle-85-skateboard-deck/navy

SPECS
SIZE   8.5
LENGTH (IN):   31.8
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.25
NOSE (IN):   6.875
TAIL (IN):   6.5

* Obviously there would be more boards out there that you could find in those dimensions, or close to it, but besides some of the more common ones, or others as already listed, I can't think of many more off the top of my head, but going to a web site that has all dimensions listed and then using the search option, might bring up some more that work for you.

From Tactics, just using one almost universal site that almost anyone can check that has a fair range of boards, I see Baker, Heroin, Polar, Tactics own brand, Space Program, Cleaver, GX1000, Alltimers, Studio, Doom Sayers, Zero, Passport and more all with 14.25 wb and all with about the 6.5 tail, some 6.6 which is less than 2mm difference, but yes I know even a single mm can make a difference.

that’s a good shout

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #4647 on: February 20, 2024, 05:36:32 PM »

Doom Sayers 8.25s are pretty close to your dims. The nose it 7” instead of 6 7/8” though.

MMongrel

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4648 on: February 21, 2024, 12:24:51 AM »
I have an Atlantic Drift board right now that I really like and I'd like to grab another one with similar dimensions. There's not much info on the sizing but mine is 8.5" and I measured the wheelbase and it's 14.375. Would a BBS board in 8.5 be a safe bet or do I just need to grab mine and go to the shop and try to find a similar one? The woodshop thread lists at least Antihero and Magenta (from what is easily available locally) as same woodshop when I did a search here.

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #4649 on: February 21, 2024, 12:29:34 AM »

I skated the Crailtap G052 shape (short wheelbase, 6.8" tail) with Ventures and it absolutely messed up my pop timing. Long tails are a big no no to me, regardless of truck.