Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 796259 times)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #2520 on: February 02, 2020, 12:19:41 PM »
Expand Quote
The 87a keyframes can slide. I’m not a power slide master but seems fine
[close]
any signs of chipping or flatspots? i like the mini super juice but i cant slide to stop with em
nah only been a month or so but they seem fine

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1015
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2521 on: February 02, 2020, 12:24:01 PM »
No advantage to wide wheels imo...a bit smoother on rough terrain (ymmv) but a 99a slim wheel can suffice.

So of course (but this is a unique situation) we went to a spot and wouldn't you know....? There is a gap in the ground THE EXACT FUCKING SIZE as my V3s..got stuck in it all the time, wedged; had to pull it out.

Now granted, my buddy also got stuck in it with wide wheels (conical fulls) but significantly less often, easily 50% less and was able to roll out sketch.

Point for wide wheels given ;)

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #2522 on: February 02, 2020, 02:59:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
any signs of chipping or flatspots? i like the mini super juice but i cant slide to stop with em

I have the keyframes and cant slide for shit on them, I guess like tiny reverts etc but actually coming to a stop or significantly slowing down when bombing hills is not possible.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2523 on: February 02, 2020, 03:03:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I have the keyframes and cant slide for shit on them, I guess like tiny reverts etc but actually coming to a stop or significantly slowing down when bombing hills is not possible.
seems like i just cant expect it from soft wheels
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2524 on: February 02, 2020, 03:19:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
seems like i just cant expect it from soft wheels

Powell Peralta Bomber 3s slide. 85a 60mm. I was able to bomb hills and hold reasonably long powerslides to slow myself down, sometimes was even able to tail/noseslide a ledge as long as the side wasn't completely dry. They are a bit too big and clunky to have as a primary non cruiser wheel tho imo.

Schinken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 67
« Reply #2525 on: February 02, 2020, 10:51:37 PM »
anyone who has the oj mini or super juice get them to slide?

oj super juice do slide, but you have to go through that gloss layer and break them in. After that they still have plenty of grip\almost too much when going slow, but sliding is doable.Slide gloves recommended.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #2526 on: February 03, 2020, 08:34:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

oj super juice do slide, but you have to go through that gloss layer and break them in. After that they still have plenty of grip\almost too much when going slow, but sliding is doable.Slide gloves recommended.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 08:51:05 AM by satan »

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2527 on: February 03, 2020, 09:29:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

oj super juice do slide, but you have to go through that gloss layer and break them in. After that they still have plenty of grip\almost too much when going slow, but sliding is doable. Slide gloves recommended.
[close]

that exactly what i pictured. of course they can slide but in those conditions its a troll answer.

if i need to be leaning to the point where im touching the ground and need slide gloves, i might as well get a fucking helmet and longboard too
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #2528 on: February 03, 2020, 10:18:57 AM »

Have you looked at the Powell G-Slides? 56mm and 85a.  They use their "SSF" formula, which is the "Soft Slide Formula".   Not a ton of reviews on them, but the longboard guys seemed to think they were super slidey and there was a learning curve because of that.

A review on Tactics:

"Very happy with these. They slid great for a cruiser wheal. Not as much as a 103a bones, but maybe as much as a 97a slimball"

Although someone else said:
"These are great semi soft cruiser wheels and they do, as advertised, slide but only for a couple of weeks before they get grippy and unslideable like normal cruiser wheels. "

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2529 on: February 03, 2020, 10:26:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Have you looked at the Powell G-Slides? 56mm and 85a.  They use their "SSF" formula, which is the "Soft Slide Formula".   Not a ton of reviews on them, but the longboard guys seemed to think they were super slidey and there was a learning curve because of that.

A review on Tactics:

"Very happy with these. They slid great for a cruiser wheal. Not as much as a 103a bones, but maybe as much as a 97a slimball"

"These are great semi soft cruiser wheels and they do, as advertised, slide but only for a couple of weeks before they get grippy and unslideable like normal cruiser wheels. "

I’ve had two sets of gslides (55 and 59mm) and they are pretty interesting because they do slide decent enough for street skating for the first week or two, but I found that they stick like most softer wheels after that. I’m not sure why that is though

They are solid cruiser wheels otherwise though
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 10:28:05 AM by Sundaynuggets »

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2530 on: February 03, 2020, 10:46:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

A review on Tactics:

[close]

I’ve had two sets of gslides (55 and 59mm) and they are pretty interesting because they do slide decent enough for street skating for the first week or two, but I found that they stick like most softer wheels after that. I’m not sure why that is though

They are solid cruiser wheels otherwise though

I've had gslides and powell bomber 3s 60mm 85a, the latter definitely slide better for street purposes even though gslides were marketed as a cruiser wheel that slides. Wish they would make it in the shape of a keyframe though.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #2531 on: February 03, 2020, 10:50:25 AM »
I've had gslides and powell bomber 3s 60mm 85a, the latter definitely slide better for street purposes even though gslides were marketed as a cruiser wheel that slides. Wish they would make it in the shape of a keyframe though.

They do have a new replacement for the Ditch Tech Formula (95a) coming out "this spring" - so probably summer - that sounds pretty good.  Keep it on the radar.

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #2532 on: February 03, 2020, 10:54:34 AM »
Are the "G Slides" and the "SS" Soft Slides the same?

sadnocomply

• Rep: 142
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2533 on: February 03, 2020, 05:52:25 PM »
while I love wide wheels like conicals for most scenarios, I think there is just something great about a classic cut shape in a 56-54mm brand new. when it gets worn down to a 53-51mm it gets so damn nice and buttery for my style of skating. Getting a nice sketchy but controlled slide on some spits bending a corner approaching a box or set just speaks to me. It’s like my wheels are hyping me up to go buck.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #2534 on: February 04, 2020, 12:43:45 AM »
A bit of advice...

I need a wheel for super crusty ground.

The ground at the local public park (not a skatepark) has ground that is basically gravel and another section has these big crusty redbrick banks.

I tried to skate them both on formula 4s; 56mm 99a conical fulls were best but I still need a little extra help pushing through the crust. Also, the spits are a little slippery I think mostly because the ground is so uneven that only 75-80% of the wheel surface is actually in contact with the ground at any given moment.

Keyframes?

I'd like to be able to skate other spots the same day so I don't want to go full-on cruiser wheels.

I'll still keep f4s on most of my boards because I'm not going to only skate those crusty spots all the time.

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
« Reply #2535 on: February 04, 2020, 12:47:07 AM »
A bit of advice...

I need a wheel for super crusty ground.

The ground at the local public park (not a skatepark) has ground that is basically gravel and another section has these big crusty redbrick banks.

I tried to skate them both on formula 4s; 56mm 99a conical fulls were best but I still need a little extra help pushing through the crust. Also, the spits are a little slippery I think mostly because the ground is so uneven that only 75-80% of the wheel surface is actually in contact with the ground at any given moment.

Keyframes?

I'd like to be able to skate other spots the same day so I don't want to go full-on cruiser wheels.

I'll still keep f4s on most of my boards because I'm not going to only skate those crusty spots all the time.

Minilogo 90a. They come in street sizes, my brother's rocking a 53mm.

Stigmata

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2536 on: February 04, 2020, 05:15:31 AM »
Id like to try out a set of those Ricta 78a Clouds, just not sure if theyre gonna be too soft? Anyone got some input on em?

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2537 on: February 04, 2020, 05:27:45 AM »
Id like to try out a set of those Ricta 78a Clouds, just not sure if theyre gonna be too soft? Anyone got some input on em?

Clouds are awesome. I’ve had five or six sets now and they have never chipped, are fast and soft enough to deal with moderately crusty streets easily. If the streets are suuuper messed up, Oj super juice minis are better, but the Clouds have better shape (the under 60mm ones anyway) for street skating if you are trying to do flip tricks and basic ledge stuff and also want to cruise, or skate crusty ground.

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2538 on: February 04, 2020, 05:35:43 AM »
Prefer Keyframes over Clouds at smaller size (52mm). Partly don’t like the skinnier shape of the Clouds, partly they just didn’t feel that much distinct from each other.

If you’re gonna go real soft go big... more about momentum than accelerating speed at lowest durometers :)

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2539 on: February 04, 2020, 07:49:56 AM »
The F4 shortage arrived to my country.
Is impossible to find conicals :(
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

satan

« Reply #2540 on: February 04, 2020, 12:04:06 PM »
https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/53mm-vomit-mini-white-97a-slime-balls-skateboard-wheels
White mini Slime Balls finally made it to US shores
53mm, 97a
34.8mm width, 20.2mm riding surface
Tiny bit wider than conical full with slightly narrower tread

Anyone pay attention to the core shapes on NHS's wheels?
Does the + or x shape mean they're poured by a different company?
I'm curious about the OG formula. And the mini have a different shaped core than the larger wheels, Teamriders, etc.

For a wheel that slides I'd be looking in the 90's. I doubt those 90a minilogo's slide super well but might be worth a try.
Ppl seemed to think the sml 92a's slid ok but weren't that fast, iirc.. Makes sense cuz good rebound means more grip.
Minilogo has a new 95a formula. Initial feedback seemed good?
Ricta Clouds? New ones slide ok?
By my count there's 4 white 97a's in the mid-50mm range. And I'm guessing 3-4 different formulas (2 might be the same formula).
Powell/ML has 90a and 95a.
A couple 92a wheels and that's it?

Size will help too with uneven ground like bricks since you can run into taller stuff without getting hung up. And helps smooth out seams/gaps. Wider is smoother too. But tall and skinny is the faster shape for smooth ground.

Shape factors in also, more so the shape of the edge/lip. A square edge will grip more. A rounded or chamfered edge will more easily break into a slide.
The Super Juice shape should be grippier, especially if it wears down a lil and the edge gets squarer.
Keyframes should slide more easily cuz of the rounder edge and narrower riding surface. I'm assuming they're the same formula.

https://lushlongboards.com/workshops/longboard-wheel-guide/ edges and lips, urethane rebound

https://www.otherplanetskate.com/pages/technology-wheels tear strength vs grip is interesting
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 03:15:57 PM by satan »

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #2541 on: February 04, 2020, 09:54:09 PM »
my smooth streets + skatepark wheel is spitfire F4 classic 99a, and has been for years.
been hunting for a wheel that can handle crustier spots, but also not be too soft for the park.
mini logo 90a are almost too bouncy/grippy, to me they're not too different in feel than spitfire chargers 80a
the keyframe 87a are nice on rough spots, but still a bit too soft for the park.
currently on a set of ricta clouds 92a, these are getting me close to a great multi use wheel....
but.... i just got a set of the new mini logo 95a in the 52mm 'a cut' shape. and they are WHITE.
will report back after putting them thru some various scenarios.
fyi.... all wheels i ride, regardless of duro, are 52mm to 54mm.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2542 on: February 05, 2020, 12:24:00 AM »
my smooth streets + skatepark wheel is spitfire F4 classic 99a, and has been for years.
been hunting for a wheel that can handle crustier spots, but also not be too soft for the park.
mini logo 90a are almost too bouncy/grippy, to me they're not too different in feel than spitfire chargers 80a
the keyframe 87a are nice on rough spots, but still a bit too soft for the park.
currently on a set of ricta clouds 92a, these are getting me close to a great multi use wheel....
but.... i just got a set of the new mini logo 95a in the 52mm 'a cut' shape. and they are WHITE.
after F4s id say they look fake, all their natural colored wheels set something off in my head. be sure to add a pic after they get some wear

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2543 on: February 05, 2020, 09:58:00 AM »

95a.. that sounds tempting. please check back in later and tell us how they perform with noseslides and stuff
IG: @flowterspace

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #2544 on: February 05, 2020, 07:01:15 PM »
I think ultimately you either need a hard 99/100a street/ park wheel or a legit cruiser 75/87a....

Anything in-between is kind of a no-mans land and kind of OK at somethings but never good at everything... unless you are wanting an 80s replica type set up.

I think it is best to just rotate between a proper cruiser or a legit hard wheel. Trying to find a one duro suits all will end in tears....

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2545 on: February 05, 2020, 07:48:35 PM »
I think ultimately you either need a hard 99/100a street/ park wheel or a legit cruiser 75/87a....

Anything in-between is kind of a no-mans land and kind of OK at somethings but never good at everything... unless you are wanting an 80s replica type set up.

I think it is best to just rotate between a proper cruiser or a legit hard wheel. Trying to find a one duro suits all will end in tears....

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion after trying everything between 75-99a. Everything between 80-97 just couldn’t do any of the good things wheels can do as well as 75’s or 99’s. Now I usually just skate with either F4’s and carry some Ricta clouds in my bag to switch off to if I want to cruise longer distance (or hit crusty spots), or vice/versa if I’m cruising around and plan on stopping to skate some ledges or a spot where harder wheels would be useful

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1015
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2546 on: February 05, 2020, 09:12:50 PM »

100% agree.

satan

« Reply #2547 on: February 06, 2020, 04:54:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion after trying everything between 75-99a. Everything between 80-97 just couldn’t do any of the good things wheels can do as well as 75’s or 99’s. Now I usually just skate with either F4’s and carry some Ricta clouds in my bag to switch off to if I want to cruise longer distance (or hit crusty spots), or vice/versa if I’m cruising around and plan on stopping to skate some ledges or a spot where harder wheels would be useful
Funny. I'm probably thinking of the 80's when I think sliding on softer wheels. Since then wheel rebound and wear resistance has improved. Iirc both those things make a formula grippier. But I think a 92-97a could still slide ok.
I drive to spots so no bag.. If it's super crusty I'm onto the next spot, this is socal.. I'm also not gonna deal with losing a dozen speedrings. So I'm thinking +9" fattie with 97a's. No boingo boingo bouncy wheels for me.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2548 on: February 06, 2020, 11:42:06 AM »
what is with these plastic things you put over your wheels for cruising? I think I've seen them on Kenny Anderson's insta. Those things would be nice.
IG: @flowterspace

ItsNoUse

• Rep: -15
« Reply #2549 on: February 06, 2020, 01:27:42 PM »
what is with these plastic things you put over your wheels for cruising? I think I've seen them on Kenny Anderson's insta. Those things would be nice.

They're just a prototype I believe for Kenny and Co's product. I'm pretty interested in them as well. I don't think they're for sale yet though, but they were talking about them on the Nine Club as well.

Tom Hanks is the Heath Kirchart of the acting world.