Author Topic: Egg Shaped Boards  (Read 220887 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Egg Shaped Boards
« Reply #210 on: March 25, 2020, 07:05:20 AM »
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

TheHolyLamb

• Rep: -1
« Reply #211 on: March 25, 2020, 11:01:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Zero has football shaped boards out now!
[close]
ok
[close]
ok

I tried to post a picture but I can’t. Can anyone help me find out if they’re sold anywhere. Maybe outside of the US?

oldfart

• Rep: 18
« Reply #212 on: March 25, 2020, 01:40:37 PM »
Expand Quote

pretty eggy
149 ti(thanks bmcsteve)
50mm f4s
swiss
cheel
[close]

what's the width of these in the middle / at the trucks?

I think I need one in my life

It's something beetween 22-22,5 cm in the front and 22cm in the back.   :)
I am skating mine with indy 159 fits too. If you find one, buy it!

WorkClothscape

• Rep: 0
« Reply #213 on: March 27, 2020, 05:20:07 AM »
Is there a functional reason why some still use egg shaped boards or is it just nostalgia/the way they look?

sweet pee

• Rep: 124
« Reply #214 on: March 27, 2020, 05:28:02 AM »
Is there a functional reason why some still use egg shaped boards or is it just nostalgia/the way they look?

The scoop on an egg shaped board just hits different...

WorkClothscape

• Rep: 0
« Reply #215 on: March 27, 2020, 05:44:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The scoop on an egg shaped board just hits different...

Ok, thanks. Might have to try one if my local shop has any.

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #216 on: March 27, 2020, 04:51:01 PM »

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #217 on: April 10, 2020, 07:20:56 AM »
Any smaller egg shapes out there that I can use 139s with?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #218 on: April 10, 2020, 07:44:58 AM »

Krooked Cromer would would pair nicely with 139s, maybe the AH black widow as well. I've been tempted to try one since I have some 139s just sitting around and I have come around to shorter wheelbases as of late.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #219 on: April 10, 2020, 07:58:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Krooked Cromer would would pair nicely with 139s, maybe the AH black widow as well. I've been tempted to try one since I have some 139s just sitting around and I have come around to shorter wheelbases as of late.

Both of these suggestions are spot on. I had the black widow and fucking didn’t like it, but I was really all over the place at the time with gear. The tail also wasn’t very pointy if I recall correctly. I like the way the polar football is real pointed. I think someone said at the bolts it’s 8.25....there was a Brian Lotti shape that Benson posted that was sick, smaller football.
Anyways thanks for the query, I have the most fun on 8” trucks, and like pointy shapes so I’m interested to see what comes out of this. My strong preference is for 14” wb as well.

Coldpizza

• Rep: 146
« Reply #220 on: April 10, 2020, 08:15:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I rocked a Krooked Cromer with some Thunder 149s and some Spitfire 80D wheels. I was coming off of a really bad back injury that had me off board for like 6-7 months. It was some of the worst constant pain I’ve ever had and it really fucked with my whole life. Needless to say I was pretty gunshy when I started pushing around again. Every time I went out on my regular board, I was so disheartened by how I felt. So I set up the Cromer as a way to not hold myself to any mental standard of skating. I would think “I’m just on a cruiser, so I don’t even have to try or do any tricks and it’s ok.” Before I even knew it a few weeks had gone by and I was rifling off Flatground tricks, cruising a bowl, hitting a bump to ledge... That setup helped me get back in the saddle so much that when I broke it doing some flip trick I bought another. Nowadays I skate my regular board again, but I have that setup (I swapped the 80Ds for some formula 4s) and still skate it a ton. I guess what I’m getting at with my long rambling story is; egg boards are fun as fuck & if you don’t like it as a regular setup, they make great fucking cruisers. Cheers y’all.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #221 on: April 10, 2020, 10:58:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I rocked a Krooked Cromer with some Thunder 149s and some Spitfire 80D wheels. I was coming off of a really bad back injury that had me off board for like 6-7 months. It was some of the worst constant pain I’ve ever had and it really fucked with my whole life. Needless to say I was pretty gunshy when I started pushing around again. Every time I went out on my regular board, I was so disheartened by how I felt. So I set up the Cromer as a way to not hold myself to any mental standard of skating. I would think “I’m just on a cruiser, so I don’t even have to try or do any tricks and it’s ok.” Before I even knew it a few weeks had gone by and I was rifling off Flatground tricks, cruising a bowl, hitting a bump to ledge... That setup helped me get back in the saddle so much that when I broke it doing some flip trick I bought another. Nowadays I skate my regular board again, but I have that setup (I swapped the 80Ds for some formula 4s) and still skate it a ton. I guess what I’m getting at with my long rambling story is; egg boards are fun as fuck & if you don’t like it as a regular setup, they make great fucking cruisers. Cheers y’all.

That rules so much, your story got me psyched. I always feel like my best skating comes from situations like that, where I'm not putting pressure on myself, and I think egg shapes are good for being functional while still looking interesting. I am also just super into how pointy boards look.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Both of these suggestions are spot on. I had the black widow and fucking didn’t like it, but I was really all over the place at the time with gear. The tail also wasn’t very pointy if I recall correctly. I like the way the polar football is real pointed. I think someone said at the bolts it’s 8.25....there was a Brian Lotti shape that Benson posted that was sick, smaller football.
Anyways thanks for the query, I have the most fun on 8” trucks, and like pointy shapes so I’m interested to see what comes out of this. My strong preference is for 14” wb as well.

I remember seeing them in person and they're like a mini version of the Cardiel football, right. I love that pointy-noise, round-tail combo.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #222 on: April 10, 2020, 11:03:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

That rules so much, your story got me psyched. I always feel like my best skating comes from situations like that, where I'm not putting pressure on myself, and I think egg shapes are good for being functional while still looking interesting. I am also just super into how pointy boards look.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I remember seeing them in person and they're like a mini version of the Cardiel football, right. I love that pointy-noise, round-tail combo.

You know, that’s a really good point that it’s like a sized down Cardiel football. I had two of those Cardiel’s and although I liked that shape, and LOVED skating it around, flat ground 99% of my chosen terrain, was a struggle.

And that comeback story is dope. Thanks for that

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #223 on: April 10, 2020, 11:10:33 AM »
Anyone have any ideas for a good egg shaped board that would fit Thunder 151s well, wheelbase 14.3-14.5 ish, length 32-31.2 ish? The polar p9 proportions look good (maybe a hair too long) but in an egg shape, though not too pointy on the ends like the polar footballs http://www.35thave.com/shop/c/p/Polar-Aaron-Herrington-Just-Like-Drugs-football-shape-875-x-318-x35970975.htm but rather something like this https://www.tactics.com/real/kelch-twister-ltd-875-flyer-shape-skateboard-deck... pretty picky I know lol.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #224 on: April 10, 2020, 11:23:55 AM »
Anyone have any ideas for a good egg shaped board that would fit Thunder 151s well, wheelbase 14.3-14.5 ish, length 32-31.2 ish? The polar p9 proportions look good (maybe a hair too long) but in an egg shape, though not too pointy on the ends like the polar footballs http://www.35thave.com/shop/c/p/Polar-Aaron-Herrington-Just-Like-Drugs-football-shape-875-x-318-x35970975.htm but rather something like this https://www.tactics.com/real/kelch-twister-ltd-875-flyer-shape-skateboard-deck... pretty picky I know lol.

Cardiel football, rode mine with 151s, miss that combo, board is long, with long 14.75 wb.
Frozen Ind. posted a sausage skateboards shape that might work for you.
I really like the company strangelove, best shit, I’ve never skated mine, too hyped on the graphics, so I can’t speak to the actual board quality, but they have a few 8.75s that might work. The Freddy Krueger Eazy-E board from a few seasons back would be real decent

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #225 on: April 10, 2020, 11:29:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Cardiel football, rode mine with 151s, miss that combo, board is long, with long 14.75 wb.
I really like the company strangelove, best shit, I’ve never skated mine, too hyped on the graphics, so I can’t speak to the actual board quality, but they have a few 8.75s that might work. The Freddy Krueger Eazy-E board from a few seasons back would be real decent

That Kelch is sick. 35th actually has a couple shop decks that look like they might fit (model below in football and assorted shapes, 14.5 WBs):
http://www.35thave.com/shop/Skate/Decks/35th/p/35th-X-Dope-Planet-deck-x37426823.htm
I don't have 151s, but with 159s I've always paired them with a ~9"-9.25" football to account for the taper over the trucks. You could also run them on an AH brown bomber, though with a 14.25" WB it might be too short.

The Cardiel/sausage/phawt shape is good but yeah, WB is like 14.75"-14.8". I've been skating a popsicle with a 14.25" WB and when I took the Cardiel out yesterday it felt so so heavy.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #226 on: April 10, 2020, 11:39:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That Kelch is sick. 35th actually has a couple shop decks that look like they might fit (model below in football and assorted shapes, 14.5 WBs):
http://www.35thave.com/shop/Skate/Decks/35th/p/35th-X-Dope-Planet-deck-x37426823.htm
I don't have 151s, but with 159s I've always paired them with a ~9"-9.25" football to account for the taper over the trucks. You could also run them on an AH brown bomber, though with a 14.25" WB it might be too short.

The Cardiel/sausage/phawt shape is good but yeah, WB is like 14.75"-14.8". I've been skating a popsicle with a 14.25" WB and when I took the Cardiel out yesterday it felt so so heavy.

Thanks! Yeah the cardiel wheelbase is just too long. The 35th ave football actually looks great, though perhaps still a little pointier than I'd like but probably the best option so far. Just stumbled upon this too and it looks decent https://strangeloveskateboards.com/collections/boards/products/sean-cliver-birth-of-cthulhu-8-875-deck

The kelch is almost perfect, but at 31.5 14.25 its just a tiny bit shorter than what I'd like on a non tech fuckaround setup. 9 inch for the taper sounds like a good idea, though anything from 8.6 to 9 ish will be fine since I don't mind some axle sticking out.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #227 on: April 10, 2020, 11:49:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks! Yeah the cardiel wheelbase is just too long. The 35th ave football actually looks great, though perhaps still a little pointier than I'd like but probably the best option so far. Just stumbled upon this too and it looks decent https://strangeloveskateboards.com/collections/boards/products/sean-cliver-birth-of-cthulhu-8-875-deck

The kelch is almost perfect, but at 31.5 14.25 its just a tiny bit shorter than what I'd like on a non tech fuckaround setup. 9 inch for the taper sounds like a good idea, though anything from 8.6 to 9 ish will be fine since I don't mind some axle sticking out.

I actually held that Cthulhu board in my hands on my last shop visit before the issued the order for nonessential businesses to close. Its a really nice shape, and even though the tail tapers it doesn't look to extreme IRL.

If you end up getting that 35th football, post a pic if you think of it. I've been tempted by it but am trying to be frugal as possible given the current situation.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #228 on: April 10, 2020, 11:54:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I actually held that Cthulhu board in my hands on my last shop visit before the issued the order for nonessential businesses to close. Its a really nice shape, and even though the tail tapers it doesn't look to extreme IRL.

If you end up getting that 35th football, post a pic if you think of it. I've been tempted by it but am trying to be frugal as possible given the current situation.

Will do, this probably won't be for a week or two at least, but an egg/football shape is definitely on my radar

Ok

• SLAP Pal

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #230 on: April 10, 2020, 01:17:29 PM »
Expand Quote
what is the actual difference in dimensions? the AH for sure looks massive on the second pic haha
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
out with the old, in with the new egg

first impressions, I might have given myself a downgrade.
the only issue I had with the Guy slick was that the concave was super flat. Besides that I really liked the shape. This Gerwer has the smallest tail. All my flips have become flops. And it doesn't really seem like a slick. Whatever super thin layer of plastic that there is was torn through on the first boardslide and it's just wood underneath. Not a full slick ply like the Guy. It is really good for shuvits though. That second pictures makes it appear there is a huge difference in length between the two. Just an optical illusion.
[close]

How wide is the Gerwer at bolts? (+ same question for the Guy) Thanks.
[close]

better side by side top shot. there isn't that much difference between the 2.
I took a measuring tape to it. I measured width at the point where my axle nuts are. Not in the middle of the baseplate. I have it set up with Thunder 149s.
Gerwer:
Front truck width: 8.5
Back truck width: 8.25

Guy:
Front truck width: 8.5
Back truck width: 8.375

Both have 14.25 WB.
I‘ve set up the gerwer today but with thunder 151s. Seems to fit it pretty perfect.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #231 on: April 10, 2020, 01:23:10 PM »
Is the Gerwer the same shape as the Russo egg?

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #232 on: April 10, 2020, 02:27:01 PM »
Similar question..
Are some of the BBS footballs the same shape? Seems like most have the same widths. Heroin and Primitive both have a 9.125" eggs. Didn't Heroin have a 10" big/bigger egg like Primitive has now?
https://primitiveskate.com/collections/skateboards/products/franky-villani-so-full-deck-9-125-10

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #233 on: April 10, 2020, 03:09:19 PM »
I think so... pretty much.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #234 on: April 12, 2020, 08:46:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Will do, this probably won't be for a week or two at least, but an egg/football shape is definitely on my radar

Hardbody has two tempting shapes, an 8.75 football, and ‘the beast’ which just looks fun. Fortunately for me I’m banning myself from acquiring gear that doesn’t jive with 8” trucks. I need limits.

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #235 on: April 12, 2020, 05:20:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hardbody has two tempting shapes, an 8.75 football, and ‘the beast’ which just looks fun. Fortunately for me I’m banning myself from acquiring gear that doesn’t jive with 8” trucks. I need limits.
How about the BBS 9.125"? Guessing Heroin and Primitive use the same shape for those. Idr the wb..

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #236 on: April 12, 2020, 11:30:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
How about the BBS 9.125"? Guessing Heroin and Primitive use the same shape for those. Idr the wb..
heroin is 14.38
primitive is 14.25
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #237 on: April 13, 2020, 03:43:24 AM »
I’m so close to getting a Cromer football, I just wish I was a smidge longer/had a slightly longer tail.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #238 on: April 13, 2020, 10:40:52 AM »
For whom it may concern, I DM'd the heroin instagram and got the canon over the truck widths for the golden egg and the fried egg.

golden egg: 8.75"
fried egg: 8.5"

full stats for the current heroin eggs:

===golden===
MAX WIDTH: 9.125"
TRUCK WIDTH: 8.75"
LENGTH: 32.25"
WB: 14.5"
NOSE: 7"
TAIL 6.5"

===fried===
MAX WIDTH: 8.9"