Author Topic: Egg Shaped Boards  (Read 220790 times)

hillbilly shifty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 46
Re: Egg Shaped Boards
« Reply #240 on: April 13, 2020, 03:02:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Any smaller egg shapes out there that I can use 139s with?
[close]

Krooked Cromer would would pair nicely with 139s, maybe the AH black widow as well. I've been tempted to try one since I have some 139s just sitting around and I have come around to shorter wheelbases as of late.
[close]
I rocked a Krooked Cromer with some Thunder 149s and some Spitfire 80D wheels. I was coming off of a really bad back injury that had me off board for like 6-7 months. It was some of the worst constant pain I’ve ever had and it really fucked with my whole life. Needless to say I was pretty gunshy when I started pushing around again. Every time I went out on my regular board, I was so disheartened by how I felt. So I set up the Cromer as a way to not hold myself to any mental standard of skating. I would think “I’m just on a cruiser, so I don’t even have to try or do any tricks and it’s ok.” Before I even knew it a few weeks had gone by and I was rifling off Flatground tricks, cruising a bowl, hitting a bump to ledge... That setup helped me get back in the saddle so much that when I broke it doing some flip trick I bought another. Nowadays I skate my regular board again, but I have that setup (I swapped the 80Ds for some formula 4s) and still skate it a ton. I guess what I’m getting at with my long rambling story is; egg boards are fun as fuck & if you don’t like it as a regular setup, they make great fucking cruisers. Cheers y’all.
[close]

That rules so much, your story got me psyched. I always feel like my best skating comes from situations like that, where I'm not putting pressure on myself, and I think egg shapes are good for being functional while still looking interesting. I am also just super into how pointy boards look.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Any smaller egg shapes out there that I can use 139s with?
[close]

Krooked Cromer would would pair nicely with 139s, maybe the AH black widow as well. I've been tempted to try one since I have some 139s just sitting around and I have come around to shorter wheelbases as of late.
[close]

Both of these suggestions are spot on. I had the black widow and fucking didn’t like it, but I was really all over the place at the time with gear. The tail also wasn’t very pointy if I recall correctly. I like the way the polar football is real pointed. I think someone said at the bolts it’s 8.25....there was a Brian Lotti shape that Benson posted that was sick, smaller football.
Anyways thanks for the query, I have the most fun on 8” trucks, and like pointy shapes so I’m interested to see what comes out of this. My strong preference is for 14” wb as well.
[close]

I remember seeing them in person and they're like a mini version of the Cardiel football, right. I love that pointy-noise, round-tail combo.
[close]

You know, that’s a really good point that it’s like a sized down Cardiel football. I had two of those Cardiel’s and although I liked that shape, and LOVED skating it around, flat ground 99% of my chosen terrain, was a struggle.

And that comeback story is dope. Thanks for that

i have the blind Lotti reissue and love it with 139s
the deck is 8.125" at the widest and 7.75" wide above the axles.
tried to keep it era accurate, so i have it set up with Indy Stage VII 139s + A1 Meats 52mm 95a

Old Skull has them for $45 (heat transfer graphic)
https://www.oldskullskateboards.com/blind-brian-lotti-showgirls-reissue-deck/

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #241 on: April 13, 2020, 03:08:27 PM »
That is some serious heat all around. I love it.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #242 on: April 19, 2020, 06:58:46 PM »
Who has had a Anti Hero Russo egg or similar? BBS 8.75x31.75x14.2wb. Thinking about buying one tomorrow. Im hoping the tail isn’t pointy like the Polar ones.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #243 on: April 19, 2020, 07:03:41 PM »
Who had the Jake quasi board? Measurements at the trucks? Probably won’t buy it but it looks cool. Very cool,

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #244 on: April 23, 2020, 02:33:53 PM »
what available deck is similar dimension-wise to the shimizu heroin egg?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #245 on: April 23, 2020, 03:09:38 PM »

in what order do you care for similarity: width, length, and wb?

edit: off the top I can think a few egg/footballs near that width. Russo Lusso. Kelch Flyer. Welcome Atheme. I think they’re generally shorter though
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 03:14:58 PM by Weon »
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Slugboi22

• Rep: 62
« Reply #246 on: April 23, 2020, 05:34:31 PM »
Polar is probably the closest but it’s pointier if you don’t mind that. You could always just get their new Fried Egg.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #247 on: April 25, 2020, 12:04:25 PM »
ive been digging my Primitive Villani board, its definitely egg shaped. graphic is pretty cool too.

TheAvidBleeder

• Rep: 3
« Reply #248 on: April 26, 2020, 10:37:37 AM »
ive been digging my Primitive Villani board, its definitely egg shaped. graphic is pretty cool too.
Me too!  Really fun shape to skate. Mostly using it for curbs, but I can flip it fine too.  I put some thunder 149’s I had laying around on it.  I’m pretty sure that’s what Villani uses going off of his signature trucks.   The board tapers to 8.75 or just less at the wheels.  No more than a quarter inch wider.  I know a lot of skaters who like skating trucks a quarter inch narrower than their deck like a lot of the baker guys.  Easier to flip.  151’s would be an exact match width wise. I think I might try the smaller heroin fried egg board next.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 10:54:48 AM by TheAvidBleeder »

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #249 on: May 06, 2020, 11:11:45 AM »

I just got the villani board last week. Kinda look almost like a symmetrical egg shaped. 6.9" nose & 6.4" tail.. Primitive did a special free delivery to Malaysia so i jump on it. I got the Moebius Anxiety Man graphic. Goin on the wall, but i ordered another one from Primitive, to skate. I also grab 2 of his dragon ballz board which are also 9.125 from our local shop. I kept pestering them to bring in more shaped boards, and finally they did. They just shipped it today. Might received the package this weekend. Hard to get boards larger than 8.5" here in Malaysia.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 11:16:30 AM by GBLange »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #250 on: May 08, 2020, 08:18:15 PM »
Always wanted to try an egg but they were kinda hard to find in here until now, I'm eyeing the Heroin anatomy of an egg.
Any thoughts?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #251 on: May 08, 2020, 08:36:07 PM »
Always wanted to try an egg but they were kinda hard to find in here until now, I'm eyeing the Heroin anatomy of an egg.
Any thoughts?

I’ve been looking at the polar football off and on for years. Was gonna set it up on 44s.
The heroin shapes look rad, a little bigger tho eh?

animalflesh

« Reply #252 on: May 08, 2020, 08:45:25 PM »
New doubles drop offers all boards in 8.75 football

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #253 on: May 09, 2020, 07:50:26 AM »
Those Doubles footballs look sick.

Can't believe I'm posting this BC Pizza, but:

https://www.tactics.com/pizzaskateboards/tri-logo-8875-90s-round-shape-skateboard-deck/pink

8.875"x32.25", 14" WB sounds amazing.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #254 on: May 10, 2020, 10:41:27 AM »
Not the best couple of days so I let myself set this up. Took it out for a quick session and it feels great.

Girl Loveseat
Independent 149s, blue medium-hard bushings
51mm 99 Tablets

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #255 on: May 10, 2020, 10:46:55 AM »
Not the best couple of days so I let myself set this up. Took it out for a quick session and it feels great.

Girl Loveseat
51mm 99 Tablets

149s fit?
I didn’t get one cuz I felt like I’d have to set up my 159s. And I’m not beast/youthful.
The shape looks really fun.
Simon is the shit.
Sticker placement sick too

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #256 on: May 10, 2020, 10:55:47 AM »
Expand Quote

Girl Loveseat
51mm 99 Tablets
[close]

149s fit?
I didn’t get one cuz I felt like I’d have to set up my 159s. And I’m not beast/youthful.
Simon is the shit.

Thanks! Yeah, I put the 159s up to it and didn't like how it looked. It tapers to like 8.6 over the back truck. Part of my thinking is that if Chico is skating a 9" shaped with 149s then that is what is up. I also prefer 149s in general.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #257 on: May 10, 2020, 10:57:50 AM »
I'm about to get the Heroin black summer egg 8.7
I have 6.1, thunder 149 or 44's to try on it.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #258 on: May 10, 2020, 11:23:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Girl Loveseat
51mm 99 Tablets
[close]

149s fit?
Simon is the shit.
[close]

Thanks! Yeah, I put the 159s up to it and didn't like how it looked. It tapers to like 8.6 over the back truck. Part of my thinking is that if Chico is skating a 9" shaped with 149s then that is what is up. I also prefer 149s in general.

Thanks for reply.
Yeah I’ve had 2 set of Indy 149s and I just can’t get into em. And I hate that I can’t.
I can do marginally better on 159s. Doesn’t make sense.
5.8s and thunder 149s are ok as well.
149s were the wave of the last 10 years and it bummed me out I couldn’t stick with the times.

Set up looks fun!!

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #259 on: May 10, 2020, 12:00:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Girl Loveseat
51mm 99 Tablets
[close]

149s fit?
Simon is the shit.
[close]

[close]

Thanks for reply.
Yeah I’ve had 2 set of Indy 149s and I just can’t get into em. And I hate that I can’t.
149s were the wave of the last 10 years and it bummed me out I couldn’t stick with the times.

Set up looks fun!!
im gonna do thunder 149 ti when i set my loveseat up

@frozenindustries great taste my guy. real similar setup to what iwas thinking. gonna hold off on it for a while so just be sure to post your thoughts
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #260 on: May 10, 2020, 04:28:00 PM »
Ordered this Toy Machine egg a while ago but never set it up.  Had some extra trucks and wheels laying around so decided to give it a go. It's more football than an egg, and the camera angle has distorted it a bit to make the tail look much bigger, but in reality the nose and tail are very similar.  The nose is a bit pointier than the Heroin egg which is the last one of these type setups I did.  Top graphic indicates that it was made and screened in USA, but not sure which woodshop.  It doesn't have the same look or feel as the old Watson toy machines.

Toy Machine 9.18x32.25
Thunder 151 team hollows
mini-logo C-cut 101A 50mm
Mix of Indy and Reds bearings
Jessup
I really like the deck, but going from Ace 55s down to Thunder 151s took some getting used to on ledge/curb tricks.  I like how light the hollow thunders are, but still much prefer the turn and feel of the Aces.  This will remain a setup for when I just feel like dicking around. 

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #261 on: May 10, 2020, 04:36:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Girl Loveseat
51mm 99 Tablets
[close]

149s fit?
Simon is the shit.
[close]

[close]

Thanks for reply.

Set up looks fun!!
[close]

@frozenindustries great taste my guy. real similar setup to what iwas thinking. gonna hold off on it for a while so just be sure to post your thoughts

I for sure want to hear how that set up skates. Really flip flopping on that or the polar football.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #262 on: May 11, 2020, 11:37:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Girl Loveseat
51mm 99 Tablets
[close]

149s fit?
Simon is the shit.
[close]

[close]

Thanks for reply.

Set up looks fun!!
[close]

[close]

I for sure want to hear how that set up skates. Really flip flopping on that or the polar football.

Thanks! I've gotten to skate it twice, so far so good. I was a little concerned about the short (13.875") wheelbase but it feels great and not at all cramped. If anything, I felt like I was rocketing a little less than usual. I do a lot of slappies and shove-it variations and it made those feel very effortless, in particular slappy crooks which got me feeling pretty juiced. I don't really flip my board much, so I can't really comment on that. Tried a couple heelflips and they felt no worse than on any other board.

The Crail wood feels good so far. I got a couple small pressure cracks already, but that happens super fast for me most of the time anyway. I'm curious to see how it holds up.

@OK, I'm sorry for my rant in the setup thread. FWIW I feel like the longer WB on the Polar (its like 14.375" or 14.5"?) would be weird. This (and my hating the last 14.5" that I set up) has me believing in the power of the short WB).

Also, @Kneebone, that Toy board is sick and I am super jealous! I tried to find that one a little ago but no dice.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #263 on: May 11, 2020, 11:51:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Girl Loveseat
51mm 99 Tablets
[close]

149s fit?
Simon is the shit.
[close]

[close]

Thanks for reply.

Set up looks fun!!
[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks! I've gotten to skate it twice, so far so good. I was a little concerned about the short (13.875") wheelbase but it feels great and not at all cramped. If anything, I felt like I was rocketing a little less than usual. I do a lot of slappies and shove-it variations and it made those feel very effortless, in particular slappy crooks which got me feeling pretty juiced. I don't really flip my board much, so I can't really comment on that. Tried a couple heelflips and they felt no worse than on any other board.

The Crail wood feels good so far. I got a couple small pressure cracks already, but that happens super fast for me most of the time anyway. I'm curious to see how it holds up.

@OK, I'm sorry for my rant in the setup thread. FWIW I feel like the longer WB on the Polar (its like 14.375" or 14.5"?) would be weird. This (and my hating the last 14.5" that I set up) has me believing in the power of the short WB).

Also, @Kneebone, that Toy board is sick and I am super jealous! I tried to find that one a little ago but no dice.

Thanks for the report my g!
Never apologize, I found your comment (far from a rant), funny, true/real.

Lots of the boards I want right now: that football, northern co, doa, shit even most krooked/anti hero boards, all have larger than I normally like wb’s.
Glad that one is working. Simon is sick

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #264 on: May 11, 2020, 11:55:14 AM »

I've said it on here before but this Send Help shape is my fave egg. It's 9 inches, which to me means it skates pretty much like an 8.5, and the nose and tail are almost almost identical, which is a plus to me.

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #265 on: May 11, 2020, 11:58:29 AM »
Lots of the boards I want right now: that football, northern co, doa, shit even most krooked/anti hero boards, all have larger than I normally like wb’s.
Glad that one is working. Simon is sick

fuck im on the same boat right now i got down to 14" with a welcome football and now im kinda itching to try a <14" but im wondering if id like a length above 32" better?

fully embraced the madness.
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #266 on: May 11, 2020, 01:44:30 PM »

I've said it on here before but this Send Help shape is my fave egg. It's 9 inches, which to me means it skates pretty much like an 8.5, and the nose and tail are almost almost identical, which is a plus to me.

This is sick. Do you happen to know the wheelbase?

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #267 on: May 11, 2020, 02:03:03 PM »
Anyone tried the Enjoi Deedz football shape? 8.375, seems like rather narrow tail/nose tho.
I'd love to try a egg/football shape thats symmetrical, and a tail/nose atleast as wide as a 8" deck

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #268 on: May 11, 2020, 02:32:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is sick. Do you happen to know the wheelbase?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #269 on: May 11, 2020, 02:34:18 PM »
Anyone tried the Enjoi Deedz football shape? 8.375, seems like rather narrow tail/nose tho.
I'd love to try a egg/football shape thats symmetrical, and a tail/nose atleast as wide as a 8" deck

Shape and dimensions seem ideal.
No shops I buy stuff from will ever carry this tho.
It’s kinda like tensors, shop won’t have em, not gonna use them.

That send help board looks dope