Author Topic: Egg Shaped Boards  (Read 224917 times)

IpathCats

Re: Egg Shaped Boards
« Reply #1830 on: July 13, 2022, 12:38:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I must say - the dimensions of this specific egg, on Indy 159’s, might be one of the most perfect setups I’ve skated in years.
[close]

Making me want to swap the 80hd chargers on my grimple egg for some F4s. Where can i get some of those SLAP PALS stickers?
[close]

What are you trying to charge? Forget that.  Definitely throw some F4s on there (the only wheel haha)

Ordered them from @PuffinMuffin 

Excellent stickers for insanely reasonable prices! (if they’re still being made…)

I have it setup for rough ground spots and cruising mainly. I'll hit him up

Nth syd bear

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #1831 on: July 13, 2022, 02:33:59 PM »
Gallant just dropped an off shoot of Visit called Blank Check. Slinging blank footballs for anyone interested. I think it’s still clutch but priced cheap enough to run through em

https://blankchecksupply.com/products/90s-shape-blank-skateboard-deck-8-75

At those prices I could get use to clutch wood.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1832 on: July 13, 2022, 02:46:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Gallant just dropped an off shoot of Visit called Blank Check. Slinging blank footballs for anyone interested. I think it’s still clutch but priced cheap enough to run through em

https://blankchecksupply.com/products/90s-shape-blank-skateboard-deck-8-75
[close]

At those prices I could get use to clutch wood.

Tail looks like a straight pintail but could be fun.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #1833 on: July 13, 2022, 02:51:50 PM »
I'm on my second heroin mandy egg - feels amazing - and the razor-top is icing on the cake

anyone try villani's primitive shape yet? been eyeing one but too scared to pull the trigger

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #1834 on: July 13, 2022, 03:13:03 PM »
I'm on my second heroin mandy egg - feels amazing - and the razor-top is icing on the cake

anyone try villani's primitive shape yet? been eyeing one but too scared to pull the trigger

Nice!  What trucks are you running on the mandy egg?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1835 on: July 13, 2022, 05:26:04 PM »
How does the Krooked/DLX 9.1 egg skate compared to say a Huffer?

doublesteveburger

« Reply #1836 on: July 14, 2022, 09:49:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nice!  What trucks are you running on the mandy egg?

My setup's a bit janky tbh, I'm running 55 ACE's that don't quite fit flush/even and my once 53mm Conical Full's that I'm positive are 51's at this point. But it works for me and I love it.

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #1837 on: July 14, 2022, 11:39:00 AM »

Rocked some 43mm Boardycakes on the egg for a bit before going back to my usual 52mm wheels, slow and stupid but kinda fun.  I haven't had much time to skate the last few weeks which is a bummer bc I'm really liking this deck and the 66 Classics. 

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1838 on: July 14, 2022, 04:34:51 PM »

Tapers much more than the huffer and has a pretty small tail. Skates really small

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1839 on: July 14, 2022, 05:49:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Tapers much more than the huffer and has a pretty small tail. Skates really small

From looking at the pics and having both a Huffer and a Heroin egg of similar width, I would go with the Huffer any and every time, as the short and pointy tails on the other egg shapes make them impossible to skate well for me.

I feel like the tail of my board is maybe the most important factor in everything I do, apart from hitting pump tracks, which is what the Heroin egg is for nowdays, so unless I can sell it off, I am never going to use it really.

Everyone is different though, so I can see how appealing some of those egg shapes are for others.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #1840 on: July 15, 2022, 03:38:09 PM »

Villani is the same exact shape and wood as the Mandy minus the razor top.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1841 on: July 15, 2022, 03:49:35 PM »
What is the point of razor top? I saw a heroin in a shop and that was the main reason I didn't buy it those would be the worst shinners.

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1842 on: July 15, 2022, 03:50:16 PM »
https://skatemental.com/collections/skateboards/products/curren-caples-sangra

Anyone ever encounter this board or shape in the wild?   I don’t think I’ve seen a Skatemental board in real life but the 13.835” wheelbase sounds delightful on a 9.00”

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1843 on: July 15, 2022, 03:54:30 PM »
What is the point of razor top? I saw a heroin in a shop and that was the main reason I didn't buy it those would be the worst shinners.

I’m pretty sure it’s a pact Heroin made with various skate shoe manufacturers to ensure you wear through the soles of your shoes at a faster than usual rate due to the sharp edge rubbing against them on slappys thus increasing the frequency of shoe purchases. 

I kid but I really like Heroin’s shapes but I could do without the razor edge personally.  Doesn’t bother me but isn’t a game changer. 

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1844 on: July 15, 2022, 04:23:17 PM »
It’s also absurdly easy to undo the razor edge with a bit of sandpaper, grip tape or file

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #1845 on: July 15, 2022, 05:19:41 PM »
It’s also absurdly easy to undo the razor edge with a bit of sandpaper, grip tape or file

true..not that hard..

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #1846 on: July 15, 2022, 05:23:19 PM »

Anyone ever encounter this board or shape in the wild?   I don’t think I’ve seen a Skatemental board in real life but the 13.835” wheelbase sounds delightful on a 9.00”

seems curren capples riding eggshapes now. some are on sale..

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1847 on: July 15, 2022, 06:43:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

SkateMental boards have always been made in the same shop as craig. The caples shape is the craig loveseat https://crailtap.com/shapes/#loveseat

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #1848 on: July 15, 2022, 11:38:05 PM »

I’ll ask it again since no one answered it. What does the razor edge do in terms of performance?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1849 on: July 16, 2022, 12:43:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ll ask it again since no one answered it. What does the razor edge do in terms of performance?

I believe the idea is to give you more overall foot to board - maximise that contact, as Jeff Grosso or someone said a while back, when he had it on his own board and then on a few AH boards too - Old Man Edge or something (Old Guy Square Edge) as per link below.

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-decks-c23/chris-strople-tribute-xl-caster-jeff-grosso-yellow-skateboard-deck-10-125-p33452

Besides AH and Heroin, I don't know how many others had it.  Black Label as well?

An older Santa Cruz Dressen reissue had it too, now that I am thinking about it.  I had one, which was passed around a bit, mainly because most people were not so fond of that sort of top, which was round 100% of the whole board at the time.

Those things chipped really easily too, but the more recent versions only seem to have it through the middle rails and it is a normal nose and tail, or at least the one I saw was like that.

I found this article as well, which explains it well enough / better than I did:

https://www.basementskate.com.au/blog/2020/11/23/double-take-heroin-rails-and-razor-top-decks/

Heroin Skateboards have developed their new “Razor Top” deck construction. With this slick new marketing name, exactly what does Razor Top mean. The top edge of the deck has not been rounded off giving the deck a sharp finish. This means your foot will be sliding the entire width of the deck when performing flip tricks. This makes the board feel super responsive and provides easier board control. It’s makes the deck also feel a little bit wider to a deck of the same width with standard round routed rails. It’s not new and was often featured on decks by one of our dearly departed pals. Try it!

freidnly guy

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1850 on: July 16, 2022, 09:27:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Villani is the same exact shape and wood as the Mandy minus the razor top.
Villani has a shorter wb as well, idk if they are the exact same besides that.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #1851 on: July 16, 2022, 10:00:03 AM »
possible new egg. haven't been able to track down specs on this raybourn deck other than it's 8.25, but it's looking kinda eggy/bally and the art is rad. i forget who's doing metal's new boards, so maybe it's similar to another shape already out there?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1852 on: July 16, 2022, 08:49:29 PM »
possible new egg. haven't been able to track down specs on this raybourn deck other than it's 8.25, but it's looking kinda eggy/bally and the art is rad. i forget who's doing metal's new boards, so maybe it's similar to another shape already out there?

The stockist list is decent, second pic on this post, through Sectdealer.com which is AWS and Habitat.  I wonder if they are BBS as well, but just guessing right now.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1853 on: July 18, 2022, 01:40:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
SkateMental boards have always been made in the same shop as craig. The caples shape is the craig loveseat https://crailtap.com/shapes/#loveseat

It looks like the same shape as the loveseat, but the skatemental sight says its made by bbs. If thats true but its till the same shape then that would be a gamechnager to get a bbs loveseat.

Fhk

« Reply #1854 on: July 18, 2022, 05:07:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

It looks like the same shape as the loveseat, but the skatemental sight says its made by bbs. If thats true but its till the same shape then that would be a gamechnager to get a bbs loveseat.
@poopnutsupreme

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #1855 on: July 19, 2022, 10:48:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
@poopnutsupreme
Oh shit! If they make a couch style one i'll have to give it a shot. I hope that shape stays forever
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #1856 on: July 19, 2022, 05:03:23 PM »
Nora’s new egg shape.

ShitTea

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1857 on: July 21, 2022, 02:15:51 PM »
Expand Quote
SkateWorks website has it at a 14.125. Also got it coming in later this week to confirm then

https://skate-works-shop.myshopify.com/products/heroin-the-symmetrical-egg-deck-8-88
[close]

Thanks!!!!

Been busy with work but wanted to confirm and say yes, it's a 14.125. Also confirmed on Heroin's website. http://www.heroinskateboarding.com/stuff

Pros is that it's a fun egg to try if you dont wanna commit to larger 9+ eggs. It's a nice break from my usual 8.25 popsicle

Cons is that it feels a bit small (coming from a short person, but I'm in my egg madness right now and my last egg was a 9)

Edit: I had a few more sessions on this board and I changed my mind about it. It rules. It's become my daily driver. Highly recommend
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 06:41:29 PM by ShitTea »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1858 on: July 22, 2022, 02:22:45 AM »
Nora’s new egg shape.

That SPHYNX is an interesting one.

https://welcomeskateboards.com/products/nora-static-on-sphynx-black-8-8

8.8" x 32.4"

14.5" Wheelbase

Authentic early 90s-style football/egg shape

I noticed this ATHEME one as well, when looking for something else, which I know is not new, but has dimensions that some people might like who prefer shorter wheelbases.

https://welcomeskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/beauty-on-atheme-various-stains-8-8

8.8" x 31.75"

14.0" Wheelbase

Authentic early 90s-style football/egg shape

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #1859 on: July 22, 2022, 08:21:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The stockist list is decent, second pic on this post, through Sectdealer.com which is AWS and Habitat.  I wonder if they are BBS as well, but just guessing right now.

alright alright, tactics has some specs up on the raybourn egg. could be a copy paste job, but lets give them the benefit of the doubt

SIZE   8.25
WIDTH (IN):   8.25
LENGTH (IN):   31.625
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.25
NOSE (IN):   6.875
TAIL (IN):   6.625