Author Topic: Egg Shaped Boards  (Read 222819 times)

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
Re: Egg Shaped Boards
« Reply #2070 on: March 25, 2023, 04:02:07 PM »
Also posted from the 9+ thread, but fits here too

I finally got around to getting a new set-up, something a bit more tubby yet carvy

Skull Skates football
32.5 x 10, 14.5 WB
ACE AF1 77s + 1/16 shock pads
Spitfire 56mm 97a
Bones Swiss 6

A word about the grip job.

The kanji on the grip say ‘gaman’ which means ‘to put up with’, or ‘to endure’.
It’s basically beat into every person here that you have to just ‘endure’ problems and shitty situations instead of actively find solutions.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 05:35:56 PM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
« Reply #2071 on: March 26, 2023, 04:14:31 AM »
Also posted from the 9+ thread, but fits here too

I finally got around to getting a new set-up, something a bit more tubby yet carvy

Skull Skates football
32.5 x 10, 14.5 WB
ACE AF1 77s + 1/16 shock pads
Spitfire 56mm 97a
Bones Swiss 6

A word about the grip job.

The kanji on the grip say ‘gaman’ which means ‘to put up with’, or ‘to endure’.
It’s basically beat into every person here that you have to just ‘endure’ problems and shitty situations instead of actively find solutions.

🔥🔥🔥

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #2072 on: March 28, 2023, 08:24:11 AM »

9" Uma with a 14.3 WB.

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #2073 on: March 28, 2023, 07:49:25 PM »
What are the advantages of the egg shape? Doubt I'll ever find one small enough to try but I'm curious.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2074 on: March 28, 2023, 07:54:14 PM »
Automatic Pressure flips and late shuvs.

That's about it.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2075 on: March 29, 2023, 02:39:17 AM »
What are the advantages of the egg shape? Doubt I'll ever find one small enough to try but I'm curious.

if u can find the heroin Lil' Egg, dats 7.9". or the mini egg at 8.38”. Last Stand skateshop still hv the mini egg.
https://www.laststandskates.com/clothing/Heroin-Mini-Egg-Deck-8-38-p455985545

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #2076 on: March 29, 2023, 03:56:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

if u can find the heroin Lil' Egg, dats 7.9". or the mini egg at 8.38”. Last Stand skateshop still hv the mini egg.

Yo thx! Maybe I'll give one a spin 💃
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
« Reply #2077 on: March 29, 2023, 10:25:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Enjoi has a Deedz 8.3 shape. not as short as the mini egg.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2078 on: March 29, 2023, 11:09:13 AM »

There is actually a huge advantage to riding an egg board with small drawback.
Ideally what you really want to do is find an egg board that is way larger in width, but similar or exactly the same as the WB you are currently riding.
Egg Boards are shaved in big time on the nose and tail, so the kicks end up being more what you are used to if you have been riding an 8" board all these years like me. Also, since the wheelbase is tucked in, you get all the benefits of having a fat board (more room to land on, wider turning radius) without having to get used to Massive wheelbase and humongous kicks. the geometry of an egg boards allows for such beautiful 3 flips as well because it's center of gravity is super tight like the planet saturn with the rings around it. Imo you want to ride super small wheels if possible on these boards so you can turn like crazy without getting wheelbite.

the disadvantages - it is very difficult to find the correct position to scoop from.  I compare it to playing a violin vs playing guitar. there are no frets to guide you like there is a deep pocket on a BBS board. if you are very good at the trick though you can find the place and damn it feels fucking money to actually figure it out .

another huge disadvantage is the overall weight of the board is going to be much more because of the extra material. i personally dont mind this at all for 95% of my skating, but i was finding to do like a high heelflip manny , i was struggling compared to using my 8" board. but i can do manny kickflip on the egg and it felt so mcuh better than doing it on a 8" board. the weight of it just felt so tactile once i snapped and caught it bolts on my front foot. i have heelflip mannyd some dope shit on this board too though, it definintely still works !!

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2079 on: March 29, 2023, 11:41:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There is actually a huge advantage to riding an egg board with small drawback.
Ideally what you really want to do is find an egg board that is way larger in width, but similar or exactly the same as the WB you are currently riding.
Egg Boards are shaved in big time on the nose and tail, so the kicks end up being more what you are used to if you have been riding an 8" board all these years like me. Also, since the wheelbase is tucked in, you get all the benefits of having a fat board (more room to land on, wider turning radius) without having to get used to Massive wheelbase and humongous kicks. the geometry of an egg boards allows for such beautiful 3 flips as well because it's center of gravity is super tight like the planet saturn with the rings around it. Imo you want to ride super small wheels if possible on these boards so you can turn like crazy without getting wheelbite.

the disadvantages - it is very difficult to find the correct position to scoop from.  I compare it to playing a violin vs playing guitar. there are no frets to guide you like there is a deep pocket on a BBS board. if you are very good at the trick though you can find the place and damn it feels fucking money to actually figure it out .

another huge disadvantage is the overall weight of the board is going to be much more because of the extra material. i personally dont mind this at all for 95% of my skating, but i was finding to do like a high heelflip manny , i was struggling compared to using my 8" board. but i can do manny kickflip on the egg and it felt so mcuh better than doing it on a 8" board. the weight of it just felt so tactile once i snapped and caught it bolts on my front foot. i have heelflip mannyd some dope shit on this board too though, it definintely still works !!
what size egg are you riding compared to your normal setup?
been on the fence trying to sort out the sizing
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #2080 on: March 29, 2023, 11:56:15 AM »
i ride Franky's board 9.125" with 14.25" wb
I rode 8" x 14" wb from like 2005-2022
before i got my first egg, i had anti hero shpae board 8.75 x 14.75" wb and it felt way too long (last  christmas i got that one and then i got the egg the following summer)
i am riding 8.5" x 14.5" right now as well as kinda my main outside board since septemeber and its ok but it feels long. i would ride the egg board for indoor parks over the winter and didnt feel hard to switch between them at all.
i like doing 3 flips more on the egg than i do on the 8.5".

freidnly guy

• Rep: 16
« Reply #2081 on: March 29, 2023, 05:05:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Mini egg is a mini, real short and a mini 13.25 wheelbase. Definitely don't recommend if you are looking for a regular board.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 94
« Reply #2082 on: March 29, 2023, 05:35:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Mini egg is a mini, real short and a mini 13.25 wheelbase. Definitely don't recommend if you are looking for a regular board.

I posted this in this thread a few weeks ago, 8.0 egg 14.0 wb

https://www.tactics.com/magenta/jameel-douglas-guest-pro-80-90s-shape-skateboard-deck

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2083 on: March 29, 2023, 07:47:24 PM »

doublesteveburger

« Reply #2084 on: March 30, 2023, 08:08:52 AM »
just snagged a blankcheck 90's shape which is kinda egg-ish, i'll report back with my review, plus if i'm not mistaken i'm somewhat supporting ryan gallant by doing so?

having skated eggs from all sorts of company's - nothing compares to heroin's eggs with razortop

if you're on the fence and wanna try one out i highly suggest hitting up the events/classifieds section, some dude's selling one right now for pretty cheap

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2085 on: March 30, 2023, 05:11:14 PM »

9" Uma with a 14.3 WB.

damnnn that is a good looking board.

CaderSk8r

• Rep: 19
« Reply #2086 on: March 30, 2023, 05:21:02 PM »
Magenta egg is really small, feels smaller than most 7.75s I’ve skated. Pairs very well with venture los

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #2087 on: March 31, 2023, 02:00:06 AM »
Set up my first egg and can't wait to give it a go.

Heroin 8.75 symmetrical
Good as new Venture 5.8s and Snot 97a 52mms

I'm used to riding the Ishod 8.5 twin shape with Ventures. That comes out to a whopping 17.9" effective wheelbase. The egg reigns that in to 17.4", so I'm pretty interested to see what that difference feels like.

I'm planning on making a cruiser setup with the egg if I don't like it for my regular skating. I'm guessing it would pair well with wider trucks for that purpose?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #2088 on: March 31, 2023, 10:29:26 AM »
18" wb? u sure? that is like 4" longer than normal

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 94
« Reply #2089 on: March 31, 2023, 10:58:58 AM »
18" wb? u sure? that is like 4" longer than normal

He means from axel to axel after the trucks are on the board, not where the holes are drilled into the deck

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #2090 on: March 31, 2023, 11:00:09 AM »
^ Yeah, effective wheelbase, so deck wheelbase plus whatever the trucks push the wheelbase out.
14.5" for the deck + 3.4" for the forged baseplate Ventures = 17.9". That's also pretty wide for most folks, but definitely not as preposterous as an 18" deck wheelbase + trucks would be. I'm pretty insensitive to wheelbase changes in general but I'm sure that's way beyond skateable.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2091 on: March 31, 2023, 12:37:59 PM »
Been wanting to try an egg shape for a while

Black Label Jake Reuter Snake And Rat Egg Shape 9.0" x 32.25" with 14.5" wheelbase
Independent Stage 4 146
Powell Peralta Dragons 56mm 93a
Bones Ceramics Super Reds
Jessup Ultra
Independent 1" hardware

I put on the trucks I had at the moment and planned on putting on wider trucks when I get home, but honestly so far the board feels surprisingly really nice with this size truck so I may end up just sticking with it.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #2092 on: March 31, 2023, 12:50:41 PM »

Black Label Jake Reuter Snake And Rat Egg Shape 9.0" x 32.25" with 14.5" wheelbase
Independent Stage 4 146
Jessup Ultra
Independent 1" hardware

I put on the trucks I had at the moment and planned on putting on wider trucks when I get home, but honestly so far the board feels surprisingly really nice with this size truck so I may end up just sticking with it.

Love a side pinstripe.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #2093 on: March 31, 2023, 06:35:50 PM »

Independent Stage 4 146
Jessup Ultra
Independent 1" hardware

I got a couple of those on sale a while back, but the main thing for me that I liked about this shape is that the board has a really decent tail, compared to some of the other egg shapes I have had or seen.

The Heroin board just felt like my foot was about to fall off the end of every trick, but this one is more like the Huffer in that the tail is decently long and still makes everything feel like a normal board.

Just my opinion anyway, but it is interesting to see.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #2094 on: March 31, 2023, 06:48:24 PM »

Adding this here too, cause I would imagine some people would be interested:

https://www.instagram.com/generatorskateboardistribution/

New in house shape we just whipped up.
The “GFB” 🏈 These are in production and available soon!
9.125 at widest point
6.625 symmetrical N&T
14.375 WB
31.875 Long
Skates like an 8.5

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqYaqiUpRwH/

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2095 on: March 31, 2023, 06:56:21 PM »
lets say you normally ride a 9.0
what would be the most comparable egg in terms of width?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #2096 on: March 31, 2023, 07:12:19 PM »

I usually go by truck width, so width over the end bolts on an egg shaped board is what I would measure, more so than the actual width or the widest point, but I think others definitely change things up a bit differently, or ride smaller trucks on a similar sized board to a popsicle of the same width, if that makes sense.

Eg I would ride a Huffer 9.12 or so on 159s that I would put on 8.75 popsicles, but an orange eagle which I have 169s on would fit better on a 9.5 egg shaped board that I have here, which doesn't feel that much wider overall, but is a bit shorter all up.

That Black Label 9.0 above is another one that I put 149s on and it worked, better than wider trucks, but I could have gone with 159s if I wanted the wheels out further.  Either way it definitely didn't feel like a 9" wide board and felt more like a fun sized 8.6 or so.

Shaped boards often don't feel as wide as what their specs / widest point might be, with brands like Welcome having information on their shaped guide saying something like "Skates like a X.XX sized popsicle" but personal opinion as to what feels comfortable has a lot to do with it as well.

Quite a number of egg boards just feel too small in the tail for me, but I know others love that fact about them and that is why they like them, with the wider middle but the more nimble kicks.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
« Reply #2097 on: April 01, 2023, 07:13:20 AM »
I’d go with one of the heroin 9.4’s, and keep your 9” trucks on it as noted above

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2098 on: April 01, 2023, 10:07:39 AM »
Expand Quote

Independent Stage 4 146
Jessup Ultra
Independent 1" hardware

[close]

I got a couple of those on sale a while back, but the main thing for me that I liked about this shape is that the board has a really decent tail, compared to some of the other egg shapes I have had or seen.

The Heroin board just felt like my foot was about to fall off the end of every trick, but this one is more like the Huffer in that the tail is decently long and still makes everything feel like a normal board.

Just my opinion anyway, but it is interesting to see.

Haha if you want to see an egg shape with an unnecessarily small tail, the DLX 8.75" egg shape has you covered.

I'm definitely liking this Black Label egg, the size of the kicks are really nice and comfy without being wide and blocky like old school decks.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2099 on: April 02, 2023, 04:50:18 AM »

Adding this here too, cause I would imagine some people would be interested:

https://www.instagram.com/generatorskateboardistribution/

New in house shape we just whipped up.
The “GFB” 🏈 These are in production and available soon!
9.125 at widest point
6.625 symmetrical N&T
14.375 WB
31.875 Long
Skates like an 8.5

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqYaqiUpRwH/

Allahdamn that's a good lookin' shape..