Author Topic: Egg Shaped Boards  (Read 224905 times)

disclosed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 175
Re: Egg Shaped Boards
« Reply #2190 on: June 23, 2023, 01:33:58 PM »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2191 on: June 23, 2023, 05:41:04 PM »
Is it the consensus 'round these parts that its better to have the axles flush with the board above the axles, compared to flush with the middle of the deck?

edit: Grammar

Yes I think a lot of people prefer no axle or wheel sticking out or even visible, so prefer magic carpet to hot rod, but some people do just use whatever they have or prefer wider axles on shaped boards for more stability.

I usually try to get the axles as close to the board width as possible so measuring across at the end bolts of both kicks gives the truck axle width, even if one might be more than the other, but I don't mind a bit sticking out at the back if the front is at least even, especially if the board is wider through the middle.  That is within reason though, cause some boards have way too much taper to have that work well.

A board with 9.4 over the front bolts and 8.6 over the back bolts was just too much for me, so I took it off, but I tried both 159s and 169s on it and they both worked for different things well enough.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #2192 on: June 23, 2023, 06:58:12 PM »
Yeah anything a 9” or like the villani 9.1” egg I’d go with  8.75” but the heroin 9.4” and up I’d go 9” axle. Until you get to the 10” eggs then prob better with the 9.5” axle aces

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #2193 on: June 25, 2023, 08:52:03 AM »
That space crab 2 is insane. A tad too big for me unfortunately. Anyone know what the 8.8 heroin eggs run over the trucks. Specifically the Avi guest board. Would a 8.5 truck work?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 09:48:41 AM by Esmith5488 »

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #2194 on: June 25, 2023, 12:14:35 PM »
That space crab 2 is insane. A tad too big for me unfortunately. Anyone know what the 8.8 heroin eggs run over the trucks. Specifically the Avi guest board. Would a 8.5 truck work?

I asked Avi on Instagram and he couldn’t remember the size, but another person responded that ACE 55 classics, ACE 60 AF1s or Indy 159s should do the trick. I think 149s would probably work as well. I’d imagine it’s just a bit above 8.5 at the bolts.

BrknBrds

• Rep: 16
« Reply #2195 on: June 26, 2023, 07:59:49 AM »
What’s the benefits of an egg shaped board ? Is it easier to carve and maneuver ? If there is an 8” egg whats a good truck size ?

I’m like a little kid when it comes to this stuff so I apologize for asking questions on every thread that ever existed. Just curious.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2196 on: June 26, 2023, 08:08:12 AM »
What’s the benefits of an egg shaped board ? Is it easier to carve and maneuver ? If there is an 8” egg whats a good truck size ?

I’m like a little kid when it comes to this stuff so I apologize for asking questions on every thread that ever existed. Just curious.
They can be found depending on how they work for you. There are no 8 eggs as far I know, smallest would be like 8.5
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #2197 on: June 26, 2023, 08:17:55 AM »
there is/was an 8.25 metal raybourn egg (texas chainsaw graphic) if you can track one down, 8" trucks work great on it

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #2198 on: June 26, 2023, 08:18:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
They can be found depending on how they work for you. There are no 8 eggs as far I know, smallest would be like 8.5

Krooked makes an 8.25 egg. Also, Heroin has made smaller eggs in the past. Not sure they got down to 8" though.

https://socalskateshop.com/Krooked-Brad-Cromer-Up-Egg-Shaped-Skateboard-Deck-Teal-Stain-8-25x31-82.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw7uSkBhDGARIsAMCZNJtVAERUpKLa7_HXAPJF7DwFVIVK2Cjbrjt7gOaspDPypTTDtw0J24UaAoAfEALw_wcB

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #2199 on: June 26, 2023, 08:19:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is the smallest remotely 8” egg I can find.
But with eggs I imagine. You’d want something wider than usual, in the middle, but same size at the trucks.
This would probably skate nice with 8” trucks.
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/anti-hero-gerwer-grimple-stix-backpage-8-38-skateboard-deck-multi_p152841
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #2200 on: June 26, 2023, 08:59:35 AM »

heroin did make a 7.9" egg..there's some available. mostly UK shops
https://primedelux.com/products/heroin-7-9-lil-egg-deck
https://welcomeleeds.com/products/heroin-skateboards-7-9-lil-egg-skateboard-deck-yellow-1
https://www.division24.co.uk/view-product/Heroin-Skateboards-Lil-Egg-Skateboard-Deck-790

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #2201 on: June 26, 2023, 11:44:11 AM »
FYI that Fos hand measured the decks from the drop. Get all your specs here.

Daydream

« Reply #2202 on: June 26, 2023, 05:01:52 PM »
Oh that’s awesome. Gonna be super tempting. A few great options

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2203 on: June 26, 2023, 05:05:19 PM »

Ha yeah, that is definitely a screen shot worth keeping!!!

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 545
« Reply #2204 on: June 26, 2023, 05:12:52 PM »
I hope they make another 8.8 like the Avi guest egg, but with a 14" WB.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #2205 on: June 27, 2023, 09:38:54 AM »

🔥🤟🔥🤟

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2206 on: June 27, 2023, 10:38:35 AM »
waited to find an egg graphic I was into...

9.4 Space Egg (Alien reference - duh)
Indy 169 w/risers
SF F4 Kader 57mm Radial Fulls (first release, and the reason for the risers--the wheels are massive)

mainly put this together as a cruiser, but it feels surprisingly 'spry' under foot and is a blast for skating curbs
hardly art, hardly starving

Daydream

« Reply #2207 on: June 27, 2023, 02:13:14 PM »
waited to find an egg graphic I was into...

9.4 Space Egg (Alien reference - duh)
Indy 169 w/risers
SF F4 Kader 57mm Radial Fulls (first release, and the reason for the risers--the wheels are massive)

mainly put this together as a cruiser, but it feels surprisingly 'spry' under foot and is a blast for skating curbs
might need to grab the new graphic! how's the wb? 14.5 right.

Daydream

« Reply #2208 on: June 28, 2023, 08:04:38 AM »
Looks like the new heroin batch is arriving in shops. just saw my not-so-local post up the Dressen guest egg, the space egg 2.. the zane holo.. etc etc.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2209 on: June 28, 2023, 09:05:15 PM »

Not meaning to clog up the thread here with too many pics or info, but it seems more and more companies are making the egg shaped boards, or at least some variation on the pointed nose and tail theme, be it more pointed at the nose end or some more pointed at the tail end.

I do like looking at the top of the board pics, not just artist depictions of the top of boards.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Who makes good egg or 90's shape boards besides Heroin or Anti-Hero?
[close]

The Metal 9.0 egg shape is nice. I posted one in the setup thread not too long ago. Alien offers the same shape with different graphics and they also have an 8.75 Egg.
[close]

Good to know, been wanting a Metal board in the back of my mind for some time now.
[close]

Guessing you have already looked at the Egg Shaped board thread?  If not, that is a fun thread to check out.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=100279.0

Also depends on the tail, given some are very small pointy things and others have a decent tail that skates more like a normal board, in particular but not limited to the AH Huffer 9.12 shape and the Black Label 9" egg shape, both of which I have and feel comfortable, but that is just me anyway.

https://blacklabelskates.bigcartel.com/product/jake-reuter-chains-9-0-egg

Any particular size you were wanting?

Also note, the trucks usually go about 1/4" down from the overall width of the board, sometimes more depending on where you like them to sit, eg 9" board fits 8.75" trucks well, or the 9.12 Huffer fits 9" trucks well, but again that is more personal preference.  Some will ride even more narrow trucks than that on those same boards.
[close]

Yeah I was aware, I think I was more interested in the early-90s shapes, which I guess in essence is an egg shape.

The funny thing with the early 90s shapes, I guess also depending on which board company or even which year as things moved very quickly is the nose was often more pointy than the tail, whereas quite a few egg shapes tend to have a smaller tail and a bigger wider nose now.  I know this is not always the case, but I was comparing quite a few other shaped boards, in particular the Grosso shape that would work really well if I just rounded off the corners of the nose and tail.  That might be too much work for the effort vs the result, but boards like the Huffer shape really show this well.

When pressure flips and similar tricks came in, tails got a lot smaller and way more tapered, so if you are more interested in that style of board, there are a few others around as well that would work, but it all comes down to approximately what size you are interested in, eg Krooked 8.25 Cromer, DLX Flyer shape 8.75, Black Label 9, Crail Love seat or Phawt 9+ and lots more too.

Sorry to go on, but there really are a lot and quite a few variations on the same theme, from when boards went from squared wide tails, down to almost nothing then back to popsicles within two to three years max, with some brands going way more extreme than others too.

As a point of reference, just looking at Tactics as almost anyone worldwide can see their stuff, I can see boards from DLX, Frog, Quasi, Uma, Metal, Black Label and others.

https://www.tactics.com/cruiser-skateboard-decks

Examples of board shapes I recall seeing from that period as well as comparing to some I had as well from that time:

DLX

Quasi

Frog

Metal

Black Label

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2210 on: June 29, 2023, 02:50:08 AM »

Throwing in the Primitive Franky Villani egg at 9.125'. I took this for a ride the first time today and managed to do all my basic ollies, pop shoves and 180s very well. I am not used to such large boards but even less to such large wheels (58mm) and I expected this to be sluggish and heavy but I got fatter pop than on my regular street set up. I even eked out a kickflip. I did not buy it for flips tho and I am amazed how Franky manages to do his fliptrick on this board tbh. Anyway, super fun deck.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2211 on: June 29, 2023, 08:21:01 AM »

Throwing in the Primitive Franky Villani egg at 9.125'. I took this for a ride the first time today and managed to do all my basic ollies, pop shoves and 180s very well. I am not used to such large boards but even less to such large wheels (58mm) and I expected this to be sluggish and heavy but I got fatter pop than on my regular street set up. I even eked out a kickflip. I did not buy it for flips tho and I am amazed how Franky manages to do his fliptrick on this board tbh. Anyway, super fun deck.

i ride this board as well i just dont have that awesome graphic!
I might get the Reverb board its on sale right now actually...

I think mine would be amazing for flip tricks if i didnt have such heavy trucks on it. Franky rides Thunders which are infinitely better for flip tricks than Aces are. When I axle these Aces I am going to try it with Thunders instead and I think it might just become my main setup...

The thing is too its an incredible curb board. with rails on it feels amazing to do combos on. I dont even really need it to flip lol it works so well to skate it this way. I can make the Aces work it just feels like a very delayed pop.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2212 on: June 29, 2023, 08:26:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think mine would be amazing for flip tricks if i didnt have such heavy trucks on it. Franky rides Thunders which are infinitely better for flip tricks than Aces are. When I axle these Aces I am going to try it with Thunders instead and I think it might just become my main setup...

The thing is too its an incredible curb board. with rails on it feels amazing to do combos on. I dont even really need it to flip lol it works so well to skate it this way. I can make the Aces work it just feels like a very delayed pop.

I might take it to the slappy curb soon.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #2213 on: June 29, 2023, 08:26:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Funny you mention that. I've been flip flopping between Thunder and Ace on an egg recently and even though my Thunders (Team hollows) are way lighter than my AF1s, my flip tricks are just better with Ace.

Ace just might suit my old man sloppiness though. On Thunder when I'm on my game  things feel really quick, snappy and precise. But at the moment I am not on my game, so Ace work way better for me...

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2214 on: June 29, 2023, 08:50:43 AM »
When I get used to it, I can make the aces really go. I just feel like I miss the timing a lot on aces for some reason. but certain tricks feel fucking amazing- for some reason for me, its half cab kickflips. They just freaking go on this egg setup for me and i am doing them higher than i ever have. it might be because of the way you wind up for that tricks calls for a bit later timing, or at least the way i do them.

Aces pop timing just feels late to me and for me that = harder. so its not necessarily for everyone - i just thought it felt way easier to do flip tricks as high as i want on thunders! it feels like i never miss the timing. i guess my brain just works that way.

I should put my little 148s on the egg just for an experiment to see if i actually do like it better.

BrknBrds

« Reply #2215 on: June 29, 2023, 12:32:12 PM »
Purchased a 8.0 Magenta Jameel Douglas 90s Egg shape and needed the slap communities knowledge for truck size.

I want Royals so I can carve maneuver easier. 139 or 127? Regular or ultra lights ?

I’m an older skater and just looking for flat ground,curbs,mannys and old school stuff.

https://lbskate.com/products/magenta-skateboards-jameel-douglas-guest-board-90s-shape-8-0-skateboard-deck

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #2216 on: June 29, 2023, 12:59:58 PM »
Purchased a 8.0 Magenta Jameel Douglas 90s Egg shape and needed the slap communities knowledge for truck size.

I want Royals so I can carve maneuver easier. 139 or 127? Regular or ultra lights ?

I’m an older skater and just looking for flat ground,curbs,mannys and old school stuff.

https://lbskate.com/products/magenta-skateboards-jameel-douglas-guest-board-90s-shape-8-0-skateboard-deck

Saw another post in this thread a while back about this deck saying it rides like a 7.75, so maybe whatever works for you best for 7.75s?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2217 on: June 29, 2023, 01:13:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Saw another post in this thread a while back about this deck saying it rides like a 7.75, so maybe whatever works for you best for 7.75s?
I threw it in the ol online measuring tool and got 7.73 over the back trucks and 7.68 over the front. My rec would just be to do 8" trucks since your trucks are liable to outlast the deck and there's no telling if that shape will be available in the future. That's just sorta how it goes with shaped decks. With 8" trucks you can go up to a super common 8.25 and still be totally workable and then snap up another 8" egg if there are more to come.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

flocke

• Rep: 14
« Reply #2218 on: July 01, 2023, 08:53:12 AM »
someone know a similar shape to the enjoi deedz ?

BrknBrds

« Reply #2219 on: July 01, 2023, 04:56:10 PM »
Posted this in the setup thread but the Jameel Douglas Magenta egg shape is unbelievably fun. It’s so smooth and carves and is so easy to manny. Thank you slap community for introducing me to the egg.

Once you go egg you never go reg - Me