Author Topic: Egg Shaped Boards  (Read 224845 times)

GBLange

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
Re: Egg Shaped Boards
« Reply #2220 on: July 03, 2023, 07:36:36 AM »
someone know a similar shape to the enjoi deedz ?

Cromer egg?

Chef BoyAmIHungry Jr.

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2221 on: July 13, 2023, 08:21:13 PM »
Signed up just to finally post in this thread.  Been an egg fiend for the last 9 months, never goin back! 
New Ron Allen Krooked guest board has an 8.75" egg option, 14" WB that looks amazing. 

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #2222 on: July 14, 2023, 02:41:14 PM »
Signed up just to finally post in this thread.  Been an egg fiend for the last 9 months, never goin back! 
New Ron Allen Krooked guest board has an 8.75" egg option, 14" WB that looks amazing.

WB is 14.25" on that shape. The Flyer.

ashleyjamesben

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2223 on: July 14, 2023, 03:40:46 PM »
Literally just made an account to comment on this thread, which seems to come up on every Google search for anything related to egg boards!

Looking for some advice. I can’t really try out an egg board but want to get one and give it a go but not sure what size to get and then similarly what size trucks to get.

I skated as a kid and now back on the board in my 30s. Bought a fairly cheap 8.25” popsicle complete and been having fun for a couple of months doing 50-50s, boardslides (intermittently!), rock to fakies, etc. so almost back to where I was as a kid. However, my feet have grown since then and with size 12UK/13US, my deck doesn’t seem big enough.

Been looking at the Heroin 8.9” boards, which I believe tapers to 8.5” over the trucks? So I could match with some 149mm indys or something similarly sized? I like the sound of this setup because it’s not a massive jump from my current deck up to the 9.0+” eggs out there.

Has anyone dipped their toes in with eggs boards like this but then wished they’d gone bigger? Or conversely, gone the other way and back to popsicles?

My hope is that I can settle on a setup that keeps the same trucks, as decks come and go (snap) but trucks last longer. With that thought, I’m maybe thinking about getting 159mm/151 trucks so if I want to go bigger later on, I could.

Anyone, I’m waffling. I should probably just buy one and skate it myself but thought I’d ask the egg hive mind first!

Chef BoyAmIHungry Jr.

« Reply #2224 on: July 15, 2023, 10:40:31 AM »

Thanks for the info brotha!

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2225 on: July 15, 2023, 11:05:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks for the info brotha!

For sure. It's a fun shape with some small wheels.

rob2

• Rep: 4
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2226 on: July 16, 2023, 09:48:42 PM »
Anyone have any suggestions for an egg that would go well with Venture 5.6s (8.25 inch)?

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2227 on: July 16, 2023, 09:53:18 PM »
Anyone have any suggestions for an egg that would go well with Venture 5.6s (8.25 inch)?

8.5-8.75 egg

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #2228 on: July 17, 2023, 09:24:56 AM »

The mini Flyer shape that Grimple runs on occasion is nice on 8.25 trucks. Has a small tail, but it’s pretty mellow, so kinda similar to how a Quasi tail works with Ventures.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2229 on: July 17, 2023, 09:33:02 AM »
Ron Allen guest board. Measures 8.75"  with a 14.25" wheelbase.

Tony Hawk Pro Model with Retro Shape. Measures 8.75" x 32" with a 14.25" wheelbase.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 09:40:03 AM by GBLange »

Chef BoyAmIHungry Jr.

« Reply #2230 on: July 17, 2023, 04:43:00 PM »
Looking for some advice. I can’t really try out an egg board but want to get one and give it a go but not sure what size to get and then similarly what size trucks to get.

Been looking at the Heroin 8.9” boards, which I believe tapers to 8.5” over the trucks? So I could match with some 149mm indys or something similarly sized?

Has anyone dipped their toes in with eggs boards like this but then wished they’d gone bigger?
I started my egg addiction w/ an American Dream 8.75" egg (went from riding 8.5 or 8.62 popsicles), but it felt small - got a Grimple Gerwer 9.12" (pretty sure it's a 14.5" WB) which I love, and kept the 149s I always ride.  Rode a few, then wanted to try something a little wider w/ shorter WB though, so got a Heroin symmetrical 9.5" (14.25" WB I think) - also got 159s for it.   That felt a little over wide, tail felt too long, so busted out the belt sander - reshaped it to 9.25" w/ a shorter tail and taper towards the tail, keeping the 159s.  Today just realized I recreated the Real TG Script 9.2", which has a 14" WB which appeals to me so I ordered that too.  Loving the Heroin reshape, but don't always want to go through that kinda hassle. Sorry that was hella lengthy.

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #2231 on: August 04, 2023, 09:44:50 AM »
Anybody know how wide the black label tugboat is over the trucks?

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2232 on: August 08, 2023, 02:16:01 PM »
At that point where it was time to replace almost everything, which hasn't happened to me in forever.

Heroin Eric Dressen Guest Board 9.75" x 32.5" with 14.25" wheelbase
Independent Stage 11 159 hollow hanger with standard baseplate
Spitfire Classics 52mm 99a
Bones Swiss Six
MOB
1" hardware

Trucks are definitely too small (width across bolt holes measure about 9") but it was all I had at the moment, so I'm going to run with it today and most likely going to swap them out for Thunder Hollow Lights 161s when I get home. But hey, maybe it'll work out.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #2233 on: August 08, 2023, 05:01:22 PM »
Anyone running a 10” Curb Killer? If so, what trucks? 215s?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2234 on: August 08, 2023, 07:26:34 PM »

I am sure I had seen boards on here with both, but looking back it only seems to be Indy 169s or Ace trucks, no 215s.

Guessing people could put 215s on them, but I have probably said too often, the 215 truck just seems excessive on most boards, even those in the 10" width variety and 169s or wider Ace trucks just look like they fit better.

All down to what people want to ride though, so I am sure someone out there has put 215s on one.

This post might be a good one to look at though:

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I won a Heroin Curb Killer from their latest contest and I wanna make a dedicated curb setup out if it, but I was wondering which size trucks to get. I have some Ace 55s laying around but I guess that they'll be a tad narrow on a 10 inch egg. Indy 215s seem to stick out a bit as the egg shape tapers quite a lot, any suggestions on the best fitting truck?
[close]

Congrats!  Super fun board.

I've skated it with 77s and 215s.  It tapers to 9.6 over the trucks so 77s do fit bitter and in general make the board feel more nimble.  The 215's make it feel really stable and I don't really notice them poking out.  I would say it comes down to your preference in Ace vs. Indy but if you plan on doing anything tech or flipping it, definitely get the 77s

[close]

nice..i hv access to 215s & 66s classic via the local shop..they don't hv the af1 77s.still hv time to think which truck to get for the curbkiller deck, coz it's gonna take almost a month for the package to reach here.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #2235 on: August 08, 2023, 07:28:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That makes sense! I actually have a set of 169s, but figured they’d be too narrow since the board is 9.5 at the bolts. I’ll try em!

I am sure I had seen boards on here with both, but looking back it only seems to be Indy 169s or Ace trucks, no 215s.

Guessing people could put 215s on them, but I have probably said too often, the 215 truck just seems excessive on most boards, even those in the 10" width variety and 169s or wider Ace trucks just look like they fit better.

All down to what people want to ride though, so I am sure someone out there has put 215s on one.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2236 on: August 08, 2023, 07:32:18 PM »

That makes sense! I actually have a set of 169s, but figured they’d be too narrow since the board is 9.5 at the bolts. I’ll try em!

finally got around to setting up the Curb Killer 2. i've had the first one too, allways had trouble with how short the tail is on these. but i think figurd it out. i took off my risers now and it feels normal. besides the super easy wheelbite that is.

i got a curb killer 4 next. so that will solve the tail issue for good i guess.

This doesn't look too narrow in the truck department, especially for an egg shaped board.

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #2237 on: August 08, 2023, 07:36:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
finally got around to setting up the Curb Killer 2. i've had the first one too, allways had trouble with how short the tail is on these. but i think figurd it out. i took off my risers now and it feels normal. besides the super easy wheelbite that is.

[close]

This doesn't look too narrow in the truck department, especially for an egg shaped board.

Thank you! Agreed. Definitely doesn't look too narrow in that photo.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2238 on: August 09, 2023, 01:04:53 AM »
Could be the Girls G016 tail be considered egg-ish?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #2239 on: August 09, 2023, 07:00:32 AM »
Confirming that 9" Indys work pretty well with the 10" Curb Killer. I thought I had 169s (9.125"), but I actually had a set of the Stage 4 166s, which are a true 9" truck. Still, worked really well. Slightly magic carpet, but just barely. Very surfy!

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #2240 on: August 09, 2023, 09:01:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

it works fine. its my 2nd time running it with these trucks. theres a some magic carpet, but nothing uncomfortable. tho thats preference.
i much prefer the 169's over 215's as to how they turn and lock and all that.

my friend has one setup with my old 215's, with classic shaped wheels you won't really notice the hotrod either, so both work. pretty sure Ira rides the 215s on it too.

my advice is if you have the 169's and are already used to riding those, try those first before jumping the gun and buying other trucks.

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #2241 on: August 09, 2023, 09:46:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

it works fine. its my 2nd time running it with these trucks. theres a some magic carpet, but nothing uncomfortable. tho thats preference.

my friend has one setup with my old 215's, with classic shaped wheels you won't really notice the hotrod either, so both work. pretty sure Ira rides the 215s on it too.

my advice is if you have the 169's and are already used to riding those, try those first before jumping the gun and buying other trucks.

Yeah that’s what I ended up doing. Also I DMed Ira and he did say he runs 215s.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2242 on: August 17, 2023, 09:37:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah that’s what I ended up doing. Also I DMed Ira and he did say he runs 215s.

🔥🔥🔥

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2243 on: August 17, 2023, 04:44:18 PM »

Just to see what it looked like, more than anything, I put a set of 215s on the Heroin egg that I have and although they stuck out a bit, it was not as bad as I thought.  Overall though, I prefer 169s or even the Ace Classic 66s rather than the wider Indy 215 or Ace bigger sizes, as 9.5" or so trucks are about the widest I find work for me.

Other people could easily put wider trucks on and be happy as per some of the other pics and info I have seen.

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #2244 on: August 17, 2023, 07:02:50 PM »

Just to see what it looked like, more than anything, I put a set of 215s on the Heroin egg that I have and although they stuck out a bit, it was not as bad as I thought.  Overall though, I prefer 169s or even the Ace Classic 66s rather than the wider Indy 215 or Ace bigger sizes, as 9.5" or so trucks are about the widest I find work for me.

Other people could easily put wider trucks on and be happy as per some of the other pics and info I have seen.

I actually ended up going with the Stage IV 166s and they felt great. A bit surfy, but not in a bad way.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2245 on: August 26, 2023, 08:17:38 PM »
would be cool if there's a Real Egg shape board with the Real Oval logo..

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #2246 on: August 26, 2023, 08:22:06 PM »
would be cool if there's a Real Egg shape board with the Real Oval logo..
agree. When?? Need it 9.4+ but < 9.75. Need a REAL egg to run 9” trucks on

chaosisme

• Rep: 56
  • mankind is unkind man
« Reply #2247 on: August 29, 2023, 01:28:36 AM »
Were Heroin the first company to make egg shaped decks?
mankind is unkind man

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2248 on: August 29, 2023, 01:40:48 AM »
No way. Eggs/ footballs were a wonderful stop over on the way to popsicles in the early 90s. I’m pretty sure other companies reintroduced them before or around the same time as Heroin. The Huffer for instance. Heroin have certainly gone above and beyond with the variations and celebrations of this most treasured skateboard shape though.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2249 on: August 29, 2023, 05:42:15 AM »
There's a nice little history recap on Heroin's site. http://www.heroinskateboarding.com/blog/2020/10/20/egg-history The first Shimizu egg was in 2016, and then it built up from there. Not sure when the first Huffer came out, but it was around the same time I think, maybe slightly later. Of course, these are all just rehashes of that brief window of egg shapes in the early 90s. Can't remember anyone else really doing it in earnest before 2016 tho.