Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 541306 times)

daditude adjustment (+ 1 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

fakie varial flip

Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #3810 on: September 10, 2021, 08:55:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Any recommendations for Indy 169s?

I had a Heroin Streetballer (9.75 at its widest, squared off tombstone shape) that I loved and rode to death. This was mostly for cruising, curbs, and some goof-around flatground, not my normal setup.

I've tried a Polar Dane (too short wb), Black Label punk point (I can't even explain what I disliked about this), and now Heroin Mutant shape (10.3) which is way too big and wheelbites constantly. Please tell me there's some shaped board I can use and that I don't have to give up and just ride a 9" pop as a cruiser/fuck around board...
[close]

Do you know what sort of wheelbase you do like? 

Short - 14.25 and under
Med - 14.5 give or take
Long - 15+

As you said, Polar Dane is only 14.1 or so, which is very short.  The Black Label Jason Adams boards are usually on the shorter side too (often dual wheelbase at 14 and 14.5), but Black Label do make some great boards in the 9+ range, eg Lucero 9.25 which has a long wheelbase that can also be drilled back, a couple of Antihero shaped eagles (short wb yellow 9.55 wide and long wb green 9.56 wide), Scram shaped 9.5 or 9.75 if you can find them, Welcome 9.25 in a couple of shapes, so there are quite a few out there that work on 169s.

I can post a whole lot of links to various board shapes too, depending on where you are, eg USA, EU, AU, etc.

I'm in the US and absolutely love the medium wb - thought i liked short wb until that dane. The black label did have a bearable wb but something about that punk point shape was just impossible to skate on. These are all great ideas, I really appreciate the help! I completely forgot about the label luceros and antihero shaped eagles, and I don't think i've ever seen a 9.5-9.75 scram but i'll look for that now, it sounds awesome. I don't think a long wheelbase is really a dealbreaker for me at this point, either.

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #3811 on: September 10, 2021, 09:26:27 PM »
169’s go with anything about 9” over the back truck with the right wheelbase- 14.25~15. I’ll stick with 169’s on 10’s too, but use a wide old school wheel. Or 10” trucks and regular wheels. Usually skate 56mm+ wheels on bigger decks and risers are usually required. I’m not above adding wheel wells, either. My last few were: Winkowski birdcage,  Black Label Adams punkpoint (liked it better on 8.75’s) Powell Ripper (the one with the modern concave and 4-5” nose, big assed deckcrafters square boat - switched to 184’s, Black Label Lucero racing stripe.

If you like Heroin, the Craig Questions/Behemoth 9.5 is really close to what I’m riding & loving now. The AH green eagle would be in there, too.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #3812 on: September 10, 2021, 10:27:58 PM »
169’s go with anything about 9” over the back truck with the right wheelbase- 14.25~15. I’ll stick with 169’s on 10’s too, but use a wide old school wheel. Or 10” trucks and regular wheels. Usually skate 56mm+ wheels on bigger decks and risers are usually required. I’m not above adding wheel wells, either. My last few were: Winkowski birdcage,  Black Label Adams punkpoint (liked it better on 8.75’s) Powell Ripper (the one with the modern concave and 4-5” nose, big assed deckcrafters square boat - switched to 184’s, Black Label Lucero racing stripe.

If you like Heroin, the Craig Questions/Behemoth 9.5 is really close to what I’m riding & loving now. The AH green eagle would be in there, too.

Fuck I wish I could get my hands on a Winkowski. Thought about trying the Madness blunt shape (10") to see if it was similar even but I guess I have to be more careful with buying 10" and up decks. I thought the mutant dead dave shape would be fine (even with big old school wheels) but I'm still getting bad wheelbite, which was never a problem for me previously.

I agree the punk points felt better on 159s... I wonder if it's just because they cut away so much at the back or what. Definitely the surf-iest shape I've ridden but I couldn't keep locked in on 5050s for some reason and it got real skittish at speed for me

Fhk

« Reply #3813 on: September 11, 2021, 04:20:10 AM »
Found this old un skated scram at my dads house and gripped it with a 9 inch sheet of mob

Scram Waldo (10”)
169 Ti (white front bushings)
61mm OJ Team riders
Big balls
Rib bones
1/4 risers
Sick! Crush it like Quint bud!

Esmith5488

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #3814 on: September 11, 2021, 05:48:30 AM »

Set this up as a second deck but I’ve been really digging the shape.   

9x14.25x32.1

Super boaty with venture 6.1 and ricta 92a clouds in 54 but I’m thinking about throwing some 97a spits on it

beandemon

« Reply #3815 on: September 11, 2021, 06:01:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Fuck I wish I could get my hands on a Winkowski. Thought about trying the Madness blunt shape (10") to see if it was similar even but I guess I have to be more careful with buying 10" and up decks. I thought the mutant dead dave shape would be fine (even with big old school wheels) but I'm still getting bad wheelbite, which was never a problem for me previously.

I agree the punk points felt better on 159s... I wonder if it's just because they cut away so much at the back or what. Definitely the surf-iest shape I've ridden but I couldn't keep locked in on 5050s for some reason and it got real skittish at speed for me

Yeah, the Winkowski situation is fucked up. They were ubiquitous for years- 2&3 graphics out at a time; has anyone had more sig wheels? Next thing you know, resellers  are getting 3 bills on eBay. Hopefully they’ll put them out regularly again, but SC seems to have gone full hype /limited run/FOMO on their reissues and shapes.  Anyway, based off photos, I’d say the madness blunt would be a good Winkowski alternative.

Trigonometry and that bitch physics definitely fuck you on bigger boards. More lean for a given input and board/wheel contact at a lower angle. I was going to say wheelbite doesn’t bug me, but I routinely get pitched coming out of slappys at the wrong angle.

My biggest concern with punkpoints is that the pointy ass nose is going to do my Achilles like that tyke with the scalpel in Pet Cemetery. Razor top decks, too. Both thankfully usually result in premature chips that I’ll either re-glue or retire the board.

beandemon

« Reply #3816 on: September 11, 2021, 06:08:46 AM »

9x14.25x32.1

Super boaty with venture 6.1 and ricta 92a clouds in 54 but I’m thinking about throwing some 97a spits on it

Nice! I’ve  got one gripped waiting to go. But my primitive, unfrozen caveman brain still says ‘popsicle’.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3817 on: September 11, 2021, 06:47:17 AM »
Expand Quote

9x14.25x32.1

[close]

Nice! I’ve  got one gripped waiting to go. But my primitive, unfrozen caveman brain still says ‘popsicle’.
But man it’s such a solid popsicle shape ! I actually have the smaller one in this series on deck for my smaller board

animalflesh

« Reply #3818 on: September 11, 2021, 08:54:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Found this old un skated scram at my dads house and gripped it with a 9 inch sheet of mob

Scram Waldo (10”)
61mm OJ Team riders
Big balls
Rib bones
1/4 risers
[close]
Sick! Crush it like Quint bud!

Couple cans last night, couple more today! Haha

Narragansett is becoming one of the few beers I actually pay for (I drink stuff from the brewery I work for mostly)

fakie varial flip

« Reply #3819 on: September 11, 2021, 09:46:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah, the Winkowski situation is fucked up. They were ubiquitous for years- 2&3 graphics out at a time; has anyone had more sig wheels? Next thing you know, resellers  are getting 3 bills on eBay. Hopefully they’ll put them out regularly again, but SC seems to have gone full hype /limited run/FOMO on their reissues and shapes.  Anyway, based off photos, I’d say the madness blunt would be a good Winkowski alternative.

Trigonometry and that bitch physics definitely fuck you on bigger boards. More lean for a given input and board/wheel contact at a lower angle. I was going to say wheelbite doesn’t bug me, but I routinely get pitched coming out of slappys at the wrong angle.

My biggest concern with punkpoints is that the pointy ass nose is going to do my Achilles like that tyke with the scalpel in Pet Cemetery. Razor top decks, too. Both thankfully usually result in premature chips that I’ll either re-glue or retire the board.

It's weird too because I am only having the wheelbite issue on this deck - I love the shape but I love my worn-in, grooved 169s more. That's great to hear about the madness blunt shape, I might check it out then. That shape (and the shape of the scram on this page) are really my ideal big boy shape.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3820 on: September 11, 2021, 10:17:25 AM »

9x14.25x32.1

Nice, dimensions are in my ballpark. How’s the concave? Kicks look really steep in this pic.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 10:36:26 AM by listentoaheartbeat »

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3821 on: September 11, 2021, 04:34:49 PM »
Expand Quote

9x14.25x32.1

[close]

Nice, dimensions are in my ballpark. How’s the concave? Kicks look really steep in this pic.

Pretty steep, to put it in context for me I normally like a 3 or 4 in the press for dlx boards so i figured with that and using ventures on it I would have a miserable time but I think due to the steepness of the kicks I was popping the hell out of stuff. I was shocked considering this board is so much larger than I normally ride. Concave seems like a solid medium, not flat by any means but it feels comfy where too much concave cramps my feet up. I can send you a photo of it tomorrow when I go skate

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3822 on: September 11, 2021, 11:15:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

9x14.25x32.1

[close]

[close]
Pretty steep, to put it in context for me I normally like a 3 or 4 in the press for dlx boards so i figured with that and using ventures on it I would have a miserable time but I think due to the steepness of the kicks I was popping the hell out of stuff. I was shocked considering this board is so much larger than I normally ride. Concave seems like a solid medium, not flat by any means but it feels comfy where too much concave cramps my feet up. I can send you a photo of it tomorrow when I go skate

Thanks! As long as it’s not on the shallow  side I’m good. Just switched from the big Jart popsicles to Heroin and don’t want to go back to the really shallow concave.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #3823 on: September 12, 2021, 10:04:13 AM »

Scram Waldo (10”)
61mm OJ Team riders
Big balls
Rib bones
1/4 risers
😍

garbage plate

• Rep: 34
« Reply #3824 on: September 12, 2021, 11:56:33 AM »
Anti hero beach bum
Indy 169 hollow
Spitfire 56mm 97d
Black panther bearings
Shorty's allen hardware
Krooked risers
Jessup ultra

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #3825 on: September 12, 2021, 01:08:11 PM »
Anti hero beach bum
Indy 169 hollow
Spitfire 56mm 97d
Black panther bearings
Shorty's allen hardware
Krooked risers
Jessup ultra

i was soo tempted to buy this one last time i went to the shop. but wanted a bigger nose for a change. i guess i can still get one someday.
i like how you do the wheels the same as me.

garbage plate

« Reply #3826 on: September 12, 2021, 02:42:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Anti hero beach bum
Indy 169 hollow
Spitfire 56mm 97d
Black panther bearings
Shorty's allen hardware
Krooked risers
Jessup ultra

[close]

i was soo tempted to buy this one last time i went to the shop. but wanted a bigger nose for a change. i guess i can still get one someday.

I was skating the anti hero green giant shape so this might take me a few sessions to get used to the shorter wheelbase.

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #3827 on: September 12, 2021, 02:59:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anti hero beach bum
Indy 169 hollow
Spitfire 56mm 97d
Black panther bearings
Shorty's allen hardware
Krooked risers
Jessup ultra

[close]

[close]

I was skating the anti hero green giant shape so this might take me a few sessions to get used to the shorter wheelbase.

Did you find the Green Giant to be really slow and heavy?  I really like the shape under my feet but there's just something about it I can't gel with, and I tend to grab other boards instead. 

garbage plate

« Reply #3828 on: September 12, 2021, 03:38:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anti hero beach bum
Indy 169 hollow
Spitfire 56mm 97d
Black panther bearings
Shorty's allen hardware
Krooked risers
Jessup ultra

[close]

[close]

[close]

Did you find the Green Giant to be really slow and heavy?  I really like the shape under my feet but there's just something about it I can't gel with, and I tend to grab other boards instead.

Yeah it was pretty heavy. The dimensions are huge. I'm also 6'2" with a size 12 shoe so I liked the extra real estate. I mainly rode it at my local concrete park and basically have given up on flip tricks a few years ago.

Eggie Vedder

• Rep: 32
« Reply #3829 on: September 12, 2021, 03:55:20 PM »
santa cruz spca

I’ve been skating 8.75s but finally stepped up to my first 9. It’s the loveseat shape. The short wheelbase makes it still easy to pop and flip. I’m interested to see if it feels too squirrelly on transition though. I skated a 5 foot quarter and it felt normal so I’m hoping it’s fine.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #3830 on: September 16, 2021, 06:33:49 AM »
santa cruz spca

I’ve been skating 8.75s but finally stepped up to my first 9. It’s the loveseat shape. The short wheelbase makes it still easy to pop and flip. I’m interested to see if it feels too squirrelly on transition though. I skated a 5 foot quarter and it felt normal so I’m hoping it’s fine.

i hv the couch shape. i kinda like the squirelyness when on indy. but will try Ventures probably this weekend. just received the 6.1s yesterday.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3831 on: September 17, 2021, 07:46:09 PM »
new boards from Chico

djoekr

• Rep: 300
« Reply #3832 on: September 19, 2021, 02:42:35 AM »
I won a Heroin Curb Killer from their latest contest and I wanna make a dedicated curb setup out if it, but I was wondering which size trucks to get. I have some Ace 55s laying around but I guess that they'll be a tad narrow on a 10 inch egg. Indy 215s seem to stick out a bit as the egg shape tapers quite a lot, any suggestions on the best fitting truck?
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #3833 on: September 19, 2021, 03:33:21 AM »
I won a Heroin Curb Killer from their latest contest and I wanna make a dedicated curb setup out if it, but I was wondering which size trucks to get. I have some Ace 55s laying around but I guess that they'll be a tad narrow on a 10 inch egg. Indy 215s seem to stick out a bit as the egg shape tapers quite a lot, any suggestions on the best fitting truck?

oh damn you won it, thats sick! congrats.
i got word they should be hitting shops in the netherlands soon aswell.
anyway i heard the Ace AF1 77s are the best fit for it.
but 215's are a lot of fun to skate. those with small wheels made slappys so easy for me.
but i'll probably set mine up with my 196's since thats what my street setup has already. that is if i ever get one ofcourse.

EvenStevieNicks

• Rep: 30
« Reply #3834 on: September 19, 2021, 04:00:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

but 215's are a lot of fun to skate. those with small wheels made slappys so easy for me.
but i'll probably set mine up with my 196's since thats what my street setup has already. that is if i ever get one ofcourse.

I'm running AF1 77s on my gold Egg, and they fit and ride better than the 215s I used before.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3835 on: September 19, 2021, 05:23:54 AM »
215s would be great on the Curbkiller board if strictly for cruising n slappies.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3836 on: September 19, 2021, 06:29:22 AM »

Congrats!  Super fun board.

I've skated it with 77s and 215s.  It tapers to 9.6 over the trucks so 77s do fit bitter and in general make the board feel more nimble.  The 215's make it feel really stable and I don't really notice them poking out.  I would say it comes down to your preference in Ace vs. Indy but if you plan on doing anything tech or flipping it, definitely get the 77s

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #3837 on: September 19, 2021, 10:10:18 AM »

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I've got 2 big boys in the rotation.

Left Board: Basically Christmas Complete for my birthday. Just rolled around on it so far but I'm planning on it being my curb board.

10" Heroin Dead Dave Mutant Shape
Indy 215 with Bones Hard, flat washer on top and bottom
60mm NFG V Shape 95a
Mix of Mob Black and Clear Grip
Bronson G2 Bearings
1/4" Indy Risers
1 1/4" Shorty's Allen Bolts
Santa Cruz Pink Rails

Right Board: My "normal" popsicle set up. Second time trying this board, felt too long and hard to pop but the switch from Thunder 161 to Indy 159 made a huge difference. Mostly skating flat, ledges, banks and trying to learn transition on this board.

9" Anti Hero Orange Eagle
159 Indy Hollow Hanger/Mid Baseplate, Bones Hard Flat washer on top only
58 Spitfire Conical Full 97a
Mix of Mob Black and Clear
Bronson G2 Bearings
1/8" Bones Risers
1 1/4" Shorty's Allen Bolts

Lurking Shoes and Gear has given me plenty of madness but has also helped me dial in my set ups. Stopped skating for 5 years and got back into 2 years ago. I'm a bigger guy at 6'3 and 210 lbs and I love that there's plenty of options in the 9"+ deck and 95-97a wheels category nowadays. My local park is slippery as hell and roads/sidewalks around here are pretty rough. Hope this hasn't been too long winded of a first post haha.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 12:23:11 PM by minilogoflow »

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #3838 on: September 19, 2021, 12:24:23 PM »
Absolutely stellar set ups. Please let me live through you spiritually by doing several front slappy yank outs on the mutant.

djoekr

• Rep: 300
« Reply #3839 on: September 19, 2021, 01:08:11 PM »

Congrats!  Super fun board.

I've skated it with 77s and 215s.  It tapers to 9.6 over the trucks so 77s do fit bitter and in general make the board feel more nimble.  The 215's make it feel really stable and I don't really notice them poking out.  I would say it comes down to your preference in Ace vs. Indy but if you plan on doing anything tech or flipping it, definitely get the 77s

Thanks everyone, I was so hyped when I heard Fos and Ira call out my name. I've returned to 8.5 popsicles after skating 9 inch eggs but this got me properly hyped up to try a 10 inch. Debated on hanging it as it's signed but figured that I'd rather use it for it's intended purpose and hang it after it's been skated.

The setups I saw with 77s did seem to fit almost flush, but the recent AF1 quality control issues got me kinda sketched out, although I really liked the classic 55s on my previous big boards. Think I'm just gonna give it another go, thanks for the pointers.

They do? I'm still looking for a Zane Timpson Theatre deck but I have yet to see one in a European store. If you're looking for Heroin decks in The Netherlands I could recommend checking out Route One, the UK webshop, they stock them for better prices than Skatestore, even with shipping from the UK. Don't really know what their policy is on taxing since Brexit, but I've seen a lot of shops guarantee no extra costs on shipping acros the border.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it