Author Topic: Egg Shaped Boards  (Read 224873 times)

WelcomeToHell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 256
Re: Egg Shaped Boards
« Reply #2280 on: October 07, 2023, 05:35:27 AM »
I feel tempted to get myself an egg shaped board next. Last one I rode was a Polar that was 8.75 if I remember correctly. I rode Huffer for a bit but it just feels way too long for anything else than transition. Heroin's boards look interesting but the price tag seems kinda crazy. Something between 14.25-14.5 wb should be good. I ride trucks between 8.5-9".

Did you like the Polar 8.75 football? Maybe try the Primitive Villani egg. Very 9.125 at widest, about 8.75-ish over trucks if I remember correctly, 14.3 WB and 32.2 length. It was actually designed by Fos for Frankie/Primitive. And I think he did the first graphic too.

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2281 on: October 07, 2023, 07:59:26 AM »
Expand Quote
I feel tempted to get myself an egg shaped board next. Last one I rode was a Polar that was 8.75 if I remember correctly. I rode Huffer for a bit but it just feels way too long for anything else than transition. Heroin's boards look interesting but the price tag seems kinda crazy. Something between 14.25-14.5 wb should be good. I ride trucks between 8.5-9".
[close]

Did you like the Polar 8.75 football? Maybe try the Primitive Villani egg. Very 9.125 at widest, about 8.75-ish over trucks if I remember correctly, 14.3 WB and 32.2 length. It was actually designed by Fos for Frankie/Primitive. And I think he did the first graphic too.

I remember liking it but it had pretty short lifespan because the gluing gave up. I got another Polar egg/football but it's too narrow for my liking. Ive been eyeing those Heroin 9.5 eggs. The space egg seems to be 9.4 with 14.5" wb but I have to wait when it's on sale.

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #2282 on: October 07, 2023, 10:05:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I remember liking it but it had pretty short lifespan because the gluing gave up. I got another Polar egg/football but it's too narrow for my liking. Ive been eyeing those Heroin 9.5 eggs. The space egg seems to be 9.4 with 14.5" wb but I have to wait when it's on sale.

Heroin’s 9.4 shape is amazing. I had the Shellraiser graphic. The 9.5 symmetrical is also great. Both with medium wheelbases and lengths, which I dig.

pops

« Reply #2283 on: October 07, 2023, 10:55:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Heroin’s 9.4 shape is amazing. I had the Shellraiser graphic. The 9.5 symmetrical is also great. Both with medium wheelbases and lengths, which I dig.

Yeah, they seemed the best and most interesting choises for me so I might cop one sooner or later. I've been on Polar and Crailtap egg/football/square tail shapes for some time and not into popsicles nowadays. Super wide egg shape seems like a good compromise right now.

The_place_beyond_time

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2284 on: October 09, 2023, 06:55:43 AM »

I've just dug through about 40 pages of this thread looking at eggs. Man forums are great, stuff doesn't get lost to the ether like Facebook etc.

Picked up this 9.75 Dressen Guest Egg by Heroin from the local shop. Set up on Ace 77 and some 53mm Powell Dragons. I've been riding 9" square tail jobs for about 8 years now I think so it's weird having a symmetrical.

Surprising amount of pop for how big it is! I think because the tail is quite long?

It looks like most people have been setting up Ace 66 or 169s on these, any reason people aren't going bigger? I like things to line up just right or it feels wrong.

Tried an 8.8 fried egg before this, but it feels tiny. Think maybe a 9.25-9.5 would be spot on.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #2285 on: October 09, 2023, 08:40:14 AM »
Looks great. I was wondering what trucks people would put on the Dressen egg. Those 77s look perfect.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #2286 on: October 09, 2023, 09:13:54 AM »
the heroin catalog states that the dressen is 9.25 over the trucks. What are 77s? 9.5?

The_place_beyond_time

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2287 on: October 09, 2023, 09:32:17 AM »
Yeah the 77s are 9.5". I saw Fos recommend 77s on Instagram. I think he's running Classic 66 (9.35") on the symmetrical 9.5" egg so makes sense to bump up.

darkthrone

• Rep: 156
« Reply #2288 on: October 09, 2023, 10:33:35 AM »
Just posted all the Holiday drop egg specs on Instagram, biggest egg drop yet, from 8.75 through to a 10.75 and a bunch of sizes Inbetween. We sold out of quite a few already, and are getting a little restock this week. They’re all in stores now.

Badandoldskater

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 31
« Reply #2289 on: October 09, 2023, 10:40:25 AM »
Just posted all the Holiday drop egg specs on Instagram, biggest egg drop yet, from 8.75 through to a 10.75 and a bunch of sizes Inbetween. We sold out of quite a few already, and are getting a little restock this week. They’re all in stores now.

Which shop ?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2290 on: October 09, 2023, 10:46:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Which shop ?

What's up Fos!
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2291 on: October 09, 2023, 11:18:13 AM »
Wheel wells on the Swampy?

Badandoldskater

« Reply #2292 on: October 09, 2023, 11:31:28 AM »
This thread has got me wanting to try an egg, wanna try a 9.5 and the big boy for fun to cruise around. Anyone try the big boy ?

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 848
« Reply #2293 on: October 09, 2023, 12:27:02 PM »
Everytime I go to a new shop I try to at least buy a t shirt or something and a few weeks ago I picked up a shellraiser shirt for Halloween.

Kind of a poser though as I'm not much of an egg guy (do the deedz or lotti footballs count) but I did notice today that what I'm skating right now - the Polar surf jr. shape - is basically the front half of an egg with a square tail. Is there a short 8.75 egg on the market that doesn't have a 14wb? I like short boards and short kicks don't bother me.

Mink

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2294 on: October 09, 2023, 12:41:04 PM »
Everytime I go to a new shop I try to at least buy a t shirt or something and a few weeks ago I picked up a shellraiser shirt for Halloween.

Kind of a poser though as I'm not much of an egg guy (do the deedz or lotti footballs count) but I did notice today that what I'm skating right now - the Polar surf jr. shape - is basically the front half of an egg with a square tail. Is there a short 8.75 egg on the market that doesn't have a 14wb? I like short boards and short kicks don't bother me.

I’m really enjoying the Deluxe  “Flyer” (8.75 x 31.5 x 14.25).

darkthrone

« Reply #2295 on: October 09, 2023, 08:01:50 PM »
Most US Stores have em in and have tagged me.

Expand Quote
[close]

Which shop ?

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 848
« Reply #2296 on: October 10, 2023, 01:22:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sounds like a winner but I have a few questions. Is it mega steep like the eagles? I can always try to source a VI stamp but some of the dlx boards ive skated in the past felt like it took months to flatten out enough to be comfortable and the eagles are just hopeless for me. Also do you know if that's 31.5 with concave or 31.5 tip to tip? Tip to tip 31.5 is in the upper end of what I'm really enjoying these days, but 31.5 with concave would be pretty close to my sweet spot.

Does anyone know of a PS stix egg or half-egg on the shorter side?

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #2297 on: October 10, 2023, 04:25:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Sounds like a winner but I have a few questions. Is it mega steep like the eagles? I can always try to source a VI stamp but some of the dlx boards ive skated in the past felt like it took months to flatten out enough to be comfortable and the eagles are just hopeless for me. Also do you know if that's 31.5 with concave or 31.5 tip to tip? Tip to tip 31.5 is in the upper end of what I'm really enjoying these days, but 31.5 with concave would be pretty close to my sweet spot.

The Quasi has been PS in previous drops. But that does have a 13.75 WB, I believe.

pops

« Reply #2298 on: October 10, 2023, 05:40:25 AM »
the heroin catalog states that the dressen is 9.25 over the trucks. What are 77s? 9.5?

I believe 55 classics would work with wider wheels. At least that's what Im going to go with. I hate buying different trucks for every setup.

Mink

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2299 on: October 10, 2023, 07:22:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I don’t skate Eagles, but the Flyer isn’t steep. It’s fairly flat IMO, being a 1993 style shape and concave.

Haven’t measured it, but I did have a Surf Jr which I swapped out for the Flyer, and the Surf Jr was significantly shorter.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2300 on: October 10, 2023, 10:04:45 AM »
The Flyer has the regular BBS concave. It will vary in steepness based on where it sat in the pile when it was pressed. 1 to 4. 1 = steeper, 4 = mellower. You can tell by the roman numerals stamped on top of the deck.

Its not a 1993 style concave but that would be cool

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2301 on: October 10, 2023, 11:37:07 AM »
The Flyer has the regular BBS concave. It will vary in steepness based on where it sat in the pile when it was pressed. 1 to 4. 1 = steeper, 4 = mellower. You can tell by the roman numerals stamped on top of the deck.

How was concave different back then?

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #2302 on: October 10, 2023, 11:50:30 AM »
That swampy symmetrical sounds freaking sweet

More twin-tip eggs!!
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Badandoldskater

« Reply #2303 on: October 10, 2023, 12:57:49 PM »

More twin-tip eggs!!

That one looks great as well as that razor 9.5 twin egg, I can’t find that one anywhere!

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 545
« Reply #2304 on: October 10, 2023, 01:10:48 PM »
Expand Quote

More twin-tip eggs!!
[close]

That one looks great as well as that razor 9.5 twin egg, I can’t find that one anywhere!

I'm on the 9.5 Razor with wheelwells. It's an amazingly fun board. FOS said that's his go to shape and won't be retiring it. while it might not be in this HO23 drop, I would think it'll be in the SP24 drop. So just keep your eyes peeled.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2305 on: October 10, 2023, 01:27:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I guess maybe it would have been flatter than you might think. There was a phenomenon that doesn't come up much any more where steeper was better. Vert boards had mellow tails and conventional wisdom was that the steeper the tail, the better it was for ollies. H-Street through Uncle Wiggly started putting out boards with really steep tails and more dramatic concave than anyone else at the time. See the Visalia YMCA edit in Shackle Me Not for an example of this. They were so hyped on it that there's a sample of maybe Mike T saying HellConcave a buncha times.

This held until Rodney started working at the World woodshop and pulling things back toward freestyle dims which resulted in much more mellow tails and overall concave. Right now I would saw we sit pretty much in the middle of that with something like a DLX BBS board. In 89 I got a Ron Allen that had a tail so steep that I kinda thought it was too much. In 90 I got a Gonz Blind board and thought the tail looked too mellow but that was that new shit.

@14:55
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #2306 on: October 10, 2023, 01:52:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I have a Mini Flyer. Concave seems normal through the middle, but the kicks seem relatively mellow compared to the Eagles I normally skate. The tail is short on both shapes, though, so it’s still pretty snappy with a quick pop, in my opinion. I like mid-height trucks on it.

boneless900

• Rep: 58
« Reply #2307 on: October 10, 2023, 04:05:03 PM »

Any chance there'll be another Eggzilla drop or an Eggzilla 2 in the future? Maybe spring 24??

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2308 on: October 10, 2023, 06:48:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Concaves went through a very mellow stage in the early 90s. Probably a reaction to the angular and staged concaves of the late 80s.

darkthrone

« Reply #2309 on: October 10, 2023, 08:03:22 PM »
You’re correct in assuming Spring 2024, a wider release this time. It’ll be in our Spring catalog.

Expand Quote
[close]

Any chance there'll be another Eggzilla drop or an Eggzilla 2 in the future? Maybe spring 24??