Author Topic: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters  (Read 111009 times)

BroBruhBra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -20
Re: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters
« Reply #600 on: September 04, 2020, 07:49:43 AM »
Expand Quote
went bowling with the volcom team one time.

colin provost and omar hassan were fiending for coke the whole night. axel was bored out of his mind and roasting me for riding thunders.

blacked out and came back to reality on there tour bus sitting with chris pfanner, omar hassan, colin provost and simon bannerot... crazy night.

lost my skateboard.
[close]

Did they end up getting coke?

I just pictured Provost blowing a line like Mr. Fantastic. Instead of moving his body his neck just stretches his head over the length of the whole line.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2254
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #601 on: September 04, 2020, 08:23:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

colin provost and omar hassan were fiending for coke the whole night. axel was bored out of his mind and roasting me for riding thunders.

blacked out and came back to reality on there tour bus sitting with chris pfanner, omar hassan, colin provost and simon bannerot... crazy night.

lost my skateboard.
[close]

[close]

I just pictured Provost blowing a line like Mr. Fantastic. Instead of moving his body his neck just stretches his head over the length of the whole line.

Expand Quote
colin mckays neck is distractingly long
[close]

Are you sure that’s not another Colin you’re thinking of?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

BroBruhBra

« Reply #602 on: September 04, 2020, 08:28:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

lost my skateboard.
[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
colin mckays neck is distractingly long
[close]

[close]
Are you sure that’s not another Colin you’re thinking of?

LOL

They both have Mr. Fantastic necks

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
« Reply #603 on: September 04, 2020, 08:41:22 AM »
When I was a kid, I saw Stefan Janoski at the skate park and asked, "are you Stefan Janoski? (I think I pronounced his name Janowski)" He said, "no." I was like, "are you sure? Aren't you that guy who made the 360 flip trick tip?" I think he said something about his part, looked mildly upset, and proceeded to do some perfect frontside flips over this bank to bank & like 30 Tre flips in 60 seconds. It was obviously Janoski. He looked exactly like him & skated like him too. Years later I saw an interview, it turns out he was annoyed that kids recognized him from his trick tip, rather than his part that took 3 years to film. I was a big fan of his parts too though. It was the most awkward encounter with a pro that I've ever had in my life. I expected him to act different in real life, but maybe he just doesn't like when people mispronounce his name or feeling like his efforts went unnoticed. He seems like a sensitive dude.

"ARE U STEPHANIE JAN OSKI? I LIKE YOUR 360 FLIPS. WATCH ME OLLIE."

It probably didn't go anything like that, but that's how I like to picture it happening.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #604 on: September 04, 2020, 08:50:22 AM »
Expand Quote
When I was a kid, I saw Stefan Janoski at the skate park and asked, "are you Stefan Janoski? (I think I pronounced his name Janowski)" He said, "no." I was like, "are you sure? Aren't you that guy who made the 360 flip trick tip?" I think he said something about his part, looked mildly upset, and proceeded to do some perfect frontside flips over this bank to bank & like 30 Tre flips in 60 seconds. It was obviously Janoski. He looked exactly like him & skated like him too. Years later I saw an interview, it turns out he was annoyed that kids recognized him from his trick tip, rather than his part that took 3 years to film. I was a big fan of his parts too though. It was the most awkward encounter with a pro that I've ever had in my life. I expected him to act different in real life, but maybe he just doesn't like when people mispronounce his name or feeling like his efforts went unnoticed. He seems like a sensitive dude.
[close]

It probably didn't go anything like that, but that's how I like to picture it happening.

I like this version also. A +

SkateParkDesigner

• Rep: -6
« Reply #605 on: September 04, 2020, 08:53:18 AM »

Hahaha, that was a good one. I was probably a mildly annoying fanboy. To be honest, this was probably 12 years ago, so I could've gotten some details wrong, but it was definitely awkward.

Here's the interview where he talked about being annoyed at kids seeing his 360 flip trick tip video, but not his parts. Skip to 6:45.

Little did he know, I watched probably all of his parts multiple times...

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #606 on: September 04, 2020, 12:35:24 PM »
I was walking through a park in Hamilton Township New Jersey today to get a drink of water with my skateboard I saw a really nice road bike with a nylon bag set up. The guy walking it had a huge beard a yellow helmet with shit tons of stickers on it and he was looking at my skateboard. As I walked by turned around about 30 feet from passing to be less awkward and just said ‘Bob’. And I turned around and bob looked right at me and we both walked away.

It was either Bibby, Nick Boserio, or Clint Walker but I didn’t stop to find out.

BroBruhBra

« Reply #607 on: September 04, 2020, 12:39:05 PM »
I was walking through a park in Hamilton Township New Jersey today to get a drink of water with my skateboard I saw a really nice road bike with a nylon bag set up. The guy walking it had a huge beard a yellow helmet with shit tons of stickers on it and he was looking at my skateboard. As I walked by turned around about 30 feet from passing to be less awkward and just said ‘Bob’. And I turned around and bob looked right at me and we both walked away.

It was either Bibby, Nick Boserio, or Clint Walker but I didn’t stop to find out.

I read something about someone drinking a red bull and finding a dead mouse at the bottom once he finished it.... that's how I feel about Clint Walker.

Letsfilmavideo

• Rep: 16
« Reply #608 on: September 04, 2020, 03:18:37 PM »
Garrett Hill complimented my tie dye shirt that was made by my mom at a zero signing when I was like 15
I always got one of my boys holdin a jar of leak and a fat blunt, so as soon as i land the trick we gettin wet you know?

Highonangeldust

• Rep: 631
« Reply #609 on: September 04, 2020, 04:04:58 PM »
We were drinking and playing the OG Thps 2 Before going out to see some bands play when a drunk Monty Nolder stumbles in the house and goes on a long drunken rant about the game and how it’s not real or represents skating and we should be out skating for real. “No shit Monty, it's a video game!” Of course I didn’t say that to him because he’d rip my fucking arm off and beat me with it.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 681
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #610 on: September 04, 2020, 05:00:55 PM »

Most likely dillon Constantine. The yellow bastard.

Wilkie RIP free max b
FREE MAX B

SkateParkDesigner

• Rep: -6
« Reply #611 on: September 04, 2020, 05:08:03 PM »
I did a flat ground impossible once and Brandon Biebel complimented it. It was kinda awkward because he's so much better than me. It left me thinking, is he just trying to be nice? Biebel is hands down one of the nicest pros. I've heard stories about him being nice to other people too.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #612 on: September 04, 2020, 05:13:55 PM »
We were drinking and playing the OG Thps 2 Before going out to see some bands play when a drunk Monty Nolder stumbles in the house and goes on a long drunken rant about the game and how it’s not real or represents skating and we should be out skating for real. “No shit Monty, it's a video game!” Of course I didn’t say that to him because he’d rip my fucking arm off and beat me with it.
I’m so fucking jealous, back smiths are my favorite trick.  Love me some Monty

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #613 on: September 04, 2020, 05:20:24 PM »
For the record: big Monty Nolder fan over here, as well.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

fakie butt drop

• Rep: 12
  • it is what it is
« Reply #614 on: September 04, 2020, 07:47:34 PM »
Expand Quote

lost my skateboard.
[close]

no clue- blacked out lol

Highonangeldust

• Rep: 631
« Reply #615 on: September 04, 2020, 10:19:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
For the record: big Monty Nolder fan over here, as well.
Same. Sadly I never got to skate with him back then. I don’t t think he was skating much then and there weren’t any ramps or parks in Gainesville, Fl around that time. Definitely would have been sick to session with him. He’s a pretty nice dude.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #616 on: September 04, 2020, 10:35:32 PM »
He has sick Christ airs...

babyyeezus

• Rep: -7
« Reply #617 on: September 04, 2020, 11:51:21 PM »
Geeked out on Leo Romero while wearing his shoes. Dakota, CJ Collins and some other foundation dudes were there too. I got Dakota to take a picture of me and Leo. Wasn’t that bad I guess, but it sent me into a neurotic tailspin for a while after that.

Ran into Chris Cole on 4 separate occasions during the bandanna and long hair era. He’s from around my area. Went to see him, Tom Asta as a fetus and some other guys from the Hot Wax crew skate a demo in a YMCA park.

Featherdale wildlife park

« Reply #618 on: September 05, 2020, 12:49:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Then show some respect and call it a Monty grind.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #619 on: September 05, 2020, 06:57:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Just out of curiosity, why Monty instead of Nolder grind?
Only asking because it occurred to me that we call most other grinds named after the people that pioneered them by the persons last name. A few examples: Smith, Barley, Bennett. Even the newly renamed Weddle grab uses dude’s last name.
Got me thinking.

fakie butt drop

• Rep: 12
  • it is what it is
« Reply #620 on: September 05, 2020, 05:42:48 PM »
went to highschool with a kid that, i swear, is a spitting image of spanky... fast forward like 7 years i see spanky at an emerica demo in vancouver.

my friends are all crowded around him trying to get a word in and im just standing there, not really interested- (probably waiting to go get ciggies or some shit.) spanky makes eye contact with me and i just blurt out "i went to school with a dude that looks exactly like you.." he's like "oh.. weird... does he skate?" i was like "...nah.." and then he just kinda looked at me like i ripped a massive fart or something and switched his attention to some kids playing skate with reynolds.

fuck.

CanadianBacon

• Rep: -72
« Reply #621 on: September 05, 2020, 06:58:05 PM »
Sometime around 2010 when Fabian Alomar got out of prison he had his number on Facebook. I was like 14 and I prank called him saying I was this well known local skater from Sac about to go to LA for a bit and trying kick it with him. He acted like he knew who I was but you could tell he was kind of fried trying to remember someone from his past. He was super cool though, we made plans to link up and skate but it obviously didn’t happen.

Another time at the Janoski shoe release demo I was standing near the fence of the park and I look behind me and there’s Jake Phelps. I was like woah what’s up man and he was super cool too and we chatted for a minute. Later on I saw him in the parking lot and he told my grandpa I was a good kid and said to keep skating.
Fucking with Fabian, you got balls!!

« Reply #622 on: September 05, 2020, 07:04:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
Only asking because it occurred to me that we call most other grinds named after the people that pioneered them by the persons last name. A few examples: Smith, Barley, Bennett. Even the newly renamed Weddle grab uses dude’s last name.
Got me thinking.

I dunno I didn’t make it up. It’s called a Monty grind. Smith was invented frontside and it wasn’t a grind. It was called a smith stop.

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #623 on: September 05, 2020, 07:09:15 PM »
Got plenty of these but here’s one that stands out.

I worked at the Vans park in Orange for a few years. One night some guy rolled up to the front door on a Penny board (the brand, not the pro) and started asking to shop some helmets from behind the counter. After a few minutes, I realized it was Bob Burnquist. The hilarious part is that we were selling his signature model Pro Tec helmet at the time.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #624 on: September 05, 2020, 09:10:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
Got me thinking.
[close]

I dunno I didn’t make it up. It’s called a Monty grind. Smith was invented frontside and it wasn’t a grind. It was called a smith stop.
I agree,   Now stop waiting and inform thrasher and ever other skateboard media outlet around the world! Monty grind for life

ogcoors

• Rep: -69
« Reply #625 on: September 06, 2020, 02:47:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
Got me thinking.
[close]

[close]
I agree,   Now stop waiting and inform thrasher and ever other skateboard media outlet around the world! Monty grind for life

A pro from DC told me he got bj from deaf girl night before and cried about it. He skated mini ramp switch and did 8 variations of boardslide after though. I feel like I should lose sleep and find her on Instagram, make her voice her opinion, then portray her as a victim, then go on here and ruin this person's career. Or I could be an adult and go, "young people  have fun, and not spend my free time finding, 'victims'" am I digressing? I heard this pro had sex with a girl 25 years ago with they were both adults. I spent 50 hours making sure hes not cool now. Slap is bullshit anymore.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #626 on: September 06, 2020, 02:56:09 AM »
A pro from DC told me he got bj from deaf girl night before and cried about it. He skated mini ramp switch and did 8 variations of boardslide after though. I feel like I should lose sleep and find her on Instagram, make her voice her opinion, then portray her as a victim, then go on here and ruin this person's career. Or I could be an adult and go, "young people  have fun, and not spend my free time finding, 'victims'" am I digressing? I heard this pro had sex with a girl 25 years ago with they were both adults. I spent 50 hours making sure hes not cool now. Slap is bullshit anymore.

I just wanted to take some time out of my day to let you know I believe you are a lame person.

Please, as we say in my native tongue, scrub it kook.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

« Reply #627 on: September 06, 2020, 05:11:14 AM »
The phrase you are looking for is “kick rocks”

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 637
« Reply #628 on: September 06, 2020, 06:26:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
Got me thinking.
[close]

[close]
[close]

A pro from DC told me your mom left for a pack of smokes and never came back.

scary

• Rep: -7
« Reply #629 on: September 06, 2020, 10:12:12 PM »
Saw tfunk and wes at a signing and tfunk took a pic of me wearing my “dude yr a barista” shirt. not me with anyone else just a photo of me.