Author Topic: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock  (Read 378013 times)

Vomit Lust

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 83
Re: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock
« Reply #1590 on: May 10, 2019, 12:12:52 PM »
You don’t think his sponsors could get sued? I’d think Thrasher could too especially if there’s anything to indicate that day’s mission was for a Thrasher spread or the website.

I’ve been away from what little contact I had with the industry for decades, and even then it was third hand knowledge from sponsored buddies of mine, so it’s possible there’s no goal to film, say, an edit that goes straight to Thrasher when these dudes hit the street each day. But if there was, and in America’s hyper-litigious society, I could see a lawsuit against those companies at least gaining a traction in court. Maybe enough to force a quick settlement with a big money shoe sponsor or something (does he even have a shoe sponsor?).

Disclaimer: as always, I don’t know shit about shit so all of the above is very likely to be wrong.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1591 on: May 10, 2019, 12:17:57 PM »
They can't go after Thrasher or even GX for that matter - you can ONLY try to take what assets Jesse has.  It's not HIS company.  The original criminal suit was against Jesse personally, NOT GX, therefore you can only go after HIS assets and none other.
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1592 on: May 10, 2019, 12:24:43 PM »
Skateboarders - particularly the dudes living 8 or 10 in a studio apt. in SF are basically homeless people with skateboards. Good luck with garnishing their wages. They definitely weren't Thrasher employees - you'd have to be able to provide some kind of proof that they were working on a project for thrasher when this happened. Most giant corporations like Thrasher are smart enough to write into contracts that contractors take all responsibility for anything they do during the course of the contract. Given that the skateboard industry's primary skill is exploiting people, I'm sure they've got that buttoned up. I have no idea if there's a GX legal entity, but if there is, the liability would likely stop there.

it's funny but unfortunately true

ondeezyst

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1593 on: May 10, 2019, 12:33:35 PM »
happy to see he will be out skating again. sucks the community kinda rejected him based on what the media showed us

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #1594 on: May 10, 2019, 01:06:06 PM »
Skateboarders - particularly the dudes living 8 or 10 in a studio apt. in SF are basically homeless people with skateboards. Good luck with garnishing their wages. They definitely weren't Thrasher employees - you'd have to be able to provide some kind of proof that they were working on a project for thrasher when this happened. Most giant corporations like Thrasher are smart enough to write into contracts that contractors take all responsibility for anything they do during the course of the contract. Given that the skateboard industry's primary skill is exploiting people, I'm sure they've got that buttoned up. I have no idea if there's a GX legal entity, but if there is, the liability would likely stop there.
Pretty sure Garshall is a Thrasher employee.

Thrasher may have things written into contracts that try to limit their liability, but that doesn't mean that stops them from being sued. A lawyer will just argue they created a culture of non-compliance, and point to the videos they post of people disobaying security guards. Whether a judge or jury will buy it is another question.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #1595 on: May 10, 2019, 01:10:42 PM »
America’s hyper-litigious society

sorry to go full on soapbox/tinfoil hat but the idea that Americans are hyper-litigious (and that its a bad thing to have a matter heard before a court) is a lie propagated by hyper capitalists and authoritarians who want to act with a brazen disregard human health, individual safety, and moral decency.  it was made to protect large corporations and entities in an effort keep the individual away from the only space where they are on equal footing.  these are the same companies and entities that refuse to negotiate in good faith prior to litigation, refuse to hold their own accountable, and maintain a fleet of staff attorneys they regularly deploy for anti-competitive and unconstitutional purposes. 

ever notice how the claim that "american's are hyper litigious" is only ever applied to civil matters? that its always about a small guy going after a big one? its all bullshit.  Americans are "hyper litigious" because  A) our founding fathers outlined pretty the best (its not perfect) legal system in human history and B) we keep getting fucked by C-suite boards who prioritize increasing their profit margin by an extra .04 percent over the well being of the public.  the fact that there are so many civil cases is a moral shortcoming of unfiltered capitalism, not modern society.

okay im done being a crazy person.  sorry for going off the rails.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #1596 on: May 10, 2019, 01:16:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thrasher may have things written into contracts that try to limit their liability, but that doesn't mean that stops them from being sued. A lawyer will just argue they created a culture of non-compliance, and point to the videos they post of people disobaying security guards. Whether a judge or jury will buy it is another question.
the security guard would have a better chance going after his own employer(deeper pockets) for having him out there solo or not being properly trained for the situation. Even if Garshall is a thrasher employee what does that have to due with JV? If all he was doing was filming and he turned everything over to po po how is he responsible for someone else's actions?

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
« Reply #1597 on: May 10, 2019, 01:19:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Garshell wasn't on trial, neither was Thrasher.  Tortfeasor, can you confirm? 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #1598 on: May 10, 2019, 01:37:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

In civil litigation, you name everyone who you can try to claim has responsibility, especially ones with deeper pockets.

breakingthewaves

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1599 on: May 10, 2019, 01:55:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Could one of the legal experts break things down in relation to the civil case?

I know nothing about this, but I think it’s a huge stretch that gx or thrasher would be liable.

I think they can make a civil trial against any party whether or not they were in the criminal case?

You and your fucking radio

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #1600 on: May 10, 2019, 02:13:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Could one of the legal experts break things down in relation to the civil case?

I know nothing about this, but I think it’s a huge stretch that gx or thrasher would be liable.

I think they can make a civil trial against any party whether or not they were in the criminal case?

im about to run out the office so i cant break it down too much

short answer... they can name any party/entity they think causally relates to the injury.  can they prove the casual relation enough to make a facial showing and survive a 12(b)(6) motion (judgement on pleadings)- or can they prove it at a trial? thats too specific for me to really know.

but DannyDee is right in a "joint and several liability" state- you want the bigger pockets on your dance card.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 754
« Reply #1601 on: May 10, 2019, 03:48:39 PM »
happy to see he will be out skating again. sucks the community some anonymous posters on a message board kinda rejected him based on what the media showed us

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 150
« Reply #1602 on: May 10, 2019, 03:55:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

sorry to go full on soapbox/tinfoil hat but the idea that Americans are hyper-litigious (and that its a bad thing to have a matter heard before a court) is a lie propagated by hyper capitalists and authoritarians who want to act with a brazen disregard human health, individual safety, and moral decency.  it was made to protect large corporations and entities in an effort keep the individual away from the only space where they are on equal footing.  these are the same companies and entities that refuse to negotiate in good faith prior to litigation, refuse to hold their own accountable, and maintain a fleet of staff attorneys they regularly deploy for anti-competitive and unconstitutional purposes. 

ever notice how the claim that "american's are hyper litigious" is only ever applied to civil matters? that its always about a small guy going after a big one? its all bullshit.  Americans are "hyper litigious" because  A) our founding fathers outlined pretty the best (its not perfect) legal system in human history and B) we keep getting fucked by C-suite boards who prioritize increasing their profit margin by an extra .04 percent over the well being of the public.  the fact that there are so many civil cases is a moral shortcoming of unfiltered capitalism, not modern society.

You ain't wrong though.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
« Reply #1603 on: May 10, 2019, 04:38:18 PM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if the victim and his family find out/ know these guys work/contract for thrasher there could be a civil suit.

lol, he was in some videos on Thrasher's website.  He's not an employee of Thrasher nor was he working as a representative of Thrasher when this incident happened.  On what planet would Thrasher be in any way responsible for this?
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
« Reply #1604 on: May 10, 2019, 04:53:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Oh yeah? You think you know so much? Well, how about... when... like... fuckin... uh, um... ... Ok. Good points.

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 406
« Reply #1605 on: May 12, 2019, 07:08:47 PM »
Just sad.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
« Reply #1606 on: May 12, 2019, 08:00:19 PM »
Hello Jesse, how are you today?

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 659
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1607 on: May 12, 2019, 08:19:23 PM »
Speaking of skitching, another skater passed away this week… RIP: https://kgab.com/wyoming-man-dies-from-injuries-in-skateboarding-accident/

Back to the Future made this look so cool, but it is such a bad idea.

I had a buddy hang on to the back of my car and we got up to 40 mph. I'm really fucking thankful that I didn't kill my friend that night. Even though everything worked out alright, I still regret that shit.

I realized how bad of an idea it was when he was driving and I was hanging on to the back of the car. We got up to 30 mph, I speed wobbled, slammed, skipped my head across the pavement, and went straight to the ER. (Luckily, I left the ER with nothing more than a bruised ego, a ton of cuts and bruises, and a semi-affordable hospital bill.)

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1608 on: May 13, 2019, 04:57:54 AM »
Not justifying his final state, but I heard the guard’s hands are far from clean, and his overall temperament and behavior during the altercation played a pretty big role in what happened and the overall outcome of the trial.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

papo

• Rep: -191
« Reply #1609 on: May 13, 2019, 05:00:43 AM »
Not justifying his final state, but I heard the guard’s hands are far from clean, and his overall temperament and behavior during the altercation played a pretty big role in what happened and the overall outcome of the trial.

Ok so is dipshit Jesse free now or he still locked up? Shouldnt he be free if its a mistrial?

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1610 on: May 13, 2019, 05:03:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ok so is dipshit Jesse free now or he still locked up? Shouldnt he be free if its a mistrial?
He goes back in front of the judge today to hear if the case will be tried again.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

breakingthewaves

« Reply #1611 on: May 13, 2019, 06:57:23 AM »

what did you hear?

breakingthewaves

« Reply #1612 on: May 13, 2019, 07:01:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

news reports were saying he would walk free, but it was mentioned in a speculative type of way (ie not quoted or sourced). i don't know if he walked that day or if he's still in jail because he had no bond and the charges aren't dropped yet.

papo

« Reply #1613 on: May 13, 2019, 10:42:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

news reports were saying he would walk free, but it was mentioned in a speculative type of way (ie not quoted or sourced). i don't know if he walked that day or if he's still in jail because he had no bond and the charges aren't dropped yet.
so technically he could walk but still be locked up for administrative reasons, because they didn’t process him?

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1614 on: May 13, 2019, 02:59:28 PM »

papo

« Reply #1615 on: May 13, 2019, 03:56:13 PM »
It’s creepy that there’s a public website where you can see all of this.

midevilco

« Reply #1616 on: May 13, 2019, 04:07:41 PM »

Significantly less creepy than being shipped off to jail / prison, with no public record of your existence or whereabouts

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 376
« Reply #1617 on: May 13, 2019, 09:29:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Significantly less creepy than being shipped off to jail / prison, with no public record of your existence or whereabouts

yep im an American living in the PRC where shit like this can happen
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 31
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #1618 on: May 13, 2019, 09:38:28 PM »
Damn he back in ?

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1619 on: May 13, 2019, 10:24:01 PM »
Damn he back in ?

I don't think they ever let him out.  They might be retrying him, not sure.  I don't exactly know how this works.