Author Topic: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock  (Read 376293 times)

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 443
Re: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock
« Reply #1680 on: July 25, 2019, 09:06:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Having now watched the two videos back to back I'm surprised the jury couldn't/wouldn't convict. I'm up for jury duty next month and if I had been on that jury I would have voted for guilty.
There are a couple of times when with a bit of sense (both) folk should have pulled back to de-escalate, but the crucial moment is the throw or punch when the guard is lying on his back the first time. No wonder he gets up super pissed after that one!

NY times article suggests there is going to be a re-trial. Is that right?
[close]

What are you talking about? He did not get punched when he fell the first time. I don't think he got punched AT ALL. It was a shoving match that ended with him TRIPPING over a board and hitting his head on concrete. What the fuck video are ya'll watching? Really hope my life never ends up in the hands of the justice system (jury).

He was definitely asleep before hitting the ground, go back and watch it frame by frame. There isn’t a good angle of a blow, but he was definitely asleep on his way down. You can tell by how it looks like he’s going to sit on an invisible chair. Even the most uncoordinated person couldn’t trip over a board that way.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 09:09:32 AM by arrbee »
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

fftc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
« Reply #1681 on: July 25, 2019, 09:27:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Having now watched the two videos back to back I'm surprised the jury couldn't/wouldn't convict. I'm up for jury duty next month and if I had been on that jury I would have voted for guilty.
There are a couple of times when with a bit of sense (both) folk should have pulled back to de-escalate, but the crucial moment is the throw or punch when the guard is lying on his back the first time. No wonder he gets up super pissed after that one!

[close]

What are you talking about? He did not get punched when he fell the first time. I don't think he got punched AT ALL. It was a shoving match that ended with him TRIPPING over a board and hitting his head on concrete. What the fuck video are ya'll watching? Really hope my life never ends up in the hands of the justice system (jury).

When the guard goes down after the first pushing match with the long hair. As he is on the ground someone (Viera?) either throws something or punches him while he is down. You can see it in the security cam footage but not the skatercam footage. From the skatercam footage you can see when he gets up he is after someone who appears from that video to have done nothing, but you can see he did something from the security cam.
HTH.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 443
« Reply #1682 on: July 25, 2019, 09:36:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

When the guard goes down after the first pushing match with the long hair. As he is on the ground someone (Viera?) either throws something or punches him while he is down. You can see it in the security cam footage but not the skatercam footage. From the skatercam footage you can see when he gets up he is after someone who appears from that video to have done nothing, but you can see he did something from the security cam.
HTH.

It’s whatever flies past him. Walkie talkie maybe.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

wake and bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 189
  • ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1683 on: July 25, 2019, 10:05:27 AM »
"But was it self-defense? One jury could not break a deadlock on that question. Another will hear the case in the coming months."

"Online message boards speculated that the altercation might have involved a crew of skateboarders calling themselves GX1000, who had become well known among skaters for their raw street skating and altercations with pedestrians, homeowners and security guards. The name GX1000 is trademarked by High Speed Productions, the owner of Thrasher."

Looks like tough times still ahead for all involved.
:) I must have been tripping last night

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #1684 on: July 25, 2019, 10:06:06 AM »
Slap screenshots are making it into the NYTimes.

fucking shit!  we should have been in it for Shaloms

drunkenshredder

• Rep: -135
« Reply #1685 on: July 25, 2019, 10:22:36 AM »
GX1000 the new skate stopper!!! We come to your town fuck up a security guard and get the whole town to ban skateboarding.

slobplant

• Rep: -12
« Reply #1686 on: July 25, 2019, 10:25:49 AM »
"But was it self-defense? One jury could not break a deadlock on that question. Another will hear the case in the coming months."

"Online message boards speculated that the altercation might have involved a crew of skateboarders calling themselves GX1000, who had become well known among skaters for their raw street skating and altercations with pedestrians, homeowners and security guards. The name GX1000 is trademarked by High Speed Productions, the owner of Thrasher."

What article is this from??

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
« Reply #1687 on: July 25, 2019, 10:42:39 AM »
always bums me out when this comes back up
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD

links, pics, and quotes

« Reply #1688 on: July 25, 2019, 10:49:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
What article is this from??

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/07/25/sports/a-security-worker-confronted-the-skateboarders-he-ended-up-with-brain-damage.html

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1689 on: July 25, 2019, 10:53:36 AM »
I watched the clip a handful of times, even going frame by frame, but I still can't tell what made the security guard drop to the ground. I'm seeing comments here about a board being swung, but I just see a bunch of shoving and then a guy falling over. Maybe it's because it's in 720p, but I can't see shit.

Austen Seaholmes

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1690 on: July 25, 2019, 10:53:51 AM »
I doubt thrasher/HSP will be on the hook...they can afford good lawyers and a lot of dots need to connect to get back to them. Is Habitat, Cons and OJ also on the hook because De La was there? They might have had a Sony camera so maybe Sony is at fault? Maybe the security guard acted outside the scope of his employment contract? Would this fall under workman's comp for the guard?

Free Whirl

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1691 on: July 25, 2019, 11:26:05 AM »
Dang after seeing the footage, my opinion still hasn't really changed, the GX guys are still at fault for abandoning the guard who was clearly messed up, but i'm def most bummed on DeLa. I feel like the situation could have been drastically changed if he didn't take the security guard's bait:/ still so sad to hear about this.

tedkootz

• Rep: -59
  • my life be like ooh ahh
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1692 on: July 25, 2019, 11:26:55 AM »
honestly to me it looks like he got knocked unconscious when he hit the ground, i didnt see any skateboards hitting him.

RIDEFLANNELV2

• Rep: 50
« Reply #1693 on: July 25, 2019, 11:35:53 AM »
That’s so sad. A bunch of grown men acting like entitled babies. So security throws your skateboard into the street after you had been asked to leave multiple times. So you start to go fist to cuffs and shuv him. While he’s down someone off camera violently throws his walkie talkie at him. Can’t say anyone wouldn’t have the same reaction as Dan.

My opinion hasn’t changed. Dela is a fucking loser. Only person who is somewhat redeemed is Garshall for heading up calling an ambulance.

Here Come The Lame Jets

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
« Reply #1694 on: July 25, 2019, 11:51:23 AM »
Hey guys, here's a lesson. If someone asks you to leave their property, just fucking leave it. Street skating is fun, but they do have a moral high ground. You could mess up their property, and many are afraid (though I doubt most street skaters would try to do this) that if you fall and hurt yourself, you could sue them. Being sued is a property owner's worst nightmare. Next time someone tells you to leave a spot, just fucking leave and come back later. It will always end up better for both parties that way.

As for these guys, same rules apply. I don't care if the security guard started it, because that was his job. The skaters should have just left right then, if the security guard came after them they could have easily outran him on their boards. And hell, if the guard leaves the property and somehow catches up to them, then tries to attack them again, then the skaters have every legal right to kick his ass. But that's not what happened. They ruined a man's life, and that is not acceptable. It makes every skater look bad.

I just don’t get why the security would get so worked up. It’s NOT his property. There is no way he gets paid enough to take on groups of people over scuffing ledges that are already scuffed.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #1695 on: July 25, 2019, 11:56:47 AM »
Who is the black guy that gets involved?

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1696 on: July 25, 2019, 12:00:16 PM »
My opinion hasn’t changed. Dela is a fucking loser. Only person who is somewhat redeemed is Garshall for heading up calling an ambulance.

smoked with dela outside of a bar one night where he was talking about fights and how he doesn’t get involved in any. later that night, a fight broke out in the street where a few of his friends were involved, and he didn’t jump in. always thought he was sick for that.

the old security cam and now gx footage changed my mind. sucks.
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

heavy metal harvey

• Rep: -6
« Reply #1697 on: July 25, 2019, 12:24:07 PM »
That’s so sad. A bunch of grown men acting like entitled babies. So security throws your skateboard into the street after you had been asked to leave multiple times. So you start to go fist to cuffs and shuv him. While he’s down someone off camera violently throws his walkie talkie at him. Can’t say anyone wouldn’t have the same reaction as Dan.

i hate when people go fist to cuffs

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #1698 on: July 25, 2019, 01:05:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

HTH.

The skater can footage shows the entirety of him falling down and getting up. No one punches him or even comes close. Someone smashes his walkie a good distance from him which kinda looks bad on the security cam but you can still tell it's not a punch, it's a throw. I'm not trying to be a dick but I am honestly confused as to how someone might think he got punched on the ground after watching that.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 814
« Reply #1699 on: July 25, 2019, 01:12:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

HTH.
[close]

The skater can footage shows the entirety of him falling down and getting up. No one punches him or even comes close. Someone smashes his walkie a good distance from him which kinda looks bad on the security cam but you can still tell it's not a punch, it's a throw. I'm not trying to be a dick but I am honestly confused as to how someone might think he got punched on the ground after watching that.

they have an opinion based on the severity of his injuries and they are trying to fit the evidence to fall in line with their bias.  this video shows nothing more than a security guard attacking people for skateboarding, and those people defending themselves.  The filmer even offers his hand to the security guard to help him up after he falls down the first time, and he swats his hand away before charging the group of skaters.  Jesse clearly throws his hands up, the skateboard falls to the ground as he throws a punch in self defense.  The injuries he sustained resulted from the guard falling and hitting his head on the ground after jesse defended himself.  Its right there on HD video at ground level. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #1700 on: July 25, 2019, 01:36:14 PM »

Tarifs are Real

« Reply #1701 on: July 25, 2019, 01:58:59 PM »
Can someone copy and paste the NY Times article, I'm getting a subscribers only message.

wake and bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 189
  • ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
« Reply #1702 on: July 25, 2019, 01:59:53 PM »
The open area outside 555 California Street in San Francisco is known as Black Rock to skateboarders, who turned this otherwise unexceptional corporate plaza into a magnet for the sport beginning in the 1990s.

With its low, stone walls and steps lined with steel banisters, the plaza has served as an ideal stage for the skateboarding videos that proliferate on the internet, attracting skaters from across the region to a spot where skateboarding is prohibited.

In November, a group of skaters descended upon the plaza. Within minutes, a security guard who had worked at 555 California for 12 years, Dan Jansen, arrived to shoo them out, moving steel barriers in front of the area where the skaters wanted to do their tricks.

Just as quickly, skaters removed the barriers, and an increasingly tense show of force from both sides ensued. At one point, Jansen picked up a skateboard and tossed it into the street. That is when the situation turned violent. Within seconds, he was lying unconscious in a pool of his urine.

Security footage shows the confrontation between skateboarders and a security worker outside 555 California Street in San Francisco, known as Black Rock.
The confrontation was captured by a security camera a short distance away. The trauma to Jansen’s head caused his brain to swell, requiring emergency surgery to remove a part of his skull and frontal lobe. “All medical teams agreed that without surgery, this patient will die,” read one of Jansen’s health records. He was left with permanent brain damage.

Nearly nine months later, he still struggles with walking and recognizing family members.

Dan Jansen in a photograph provided by the family. Amanda Jansen
For the skateboarding world, which for years has glorified disputes with security guards, the confrontation has resulted in collective soul-searching at a crucial moment, just a year before the sport’s Olympic debut at the 2020 Games in Tokyo. A sport that has long identified with rebellion is questioning whether its fascination with defiance is somehow responsible for forever changing the life of someone simply doing his job.

“I do hold those who glamorize confronting security — rather than just leaving the second we are asked, as 99 percent of skaters do — somewhat responsible for the behavior they depict and profit from,” said Mackenzie Eisenhour, a former editor of Transworld Skateboarding, which has featured videos of security confrontations on its website.

But was it self-defense? One jury could not break a deadlock on that question. Another will hear the case in the coming months.

A confrontation like the one at 555 California would never have happened had skateboarding not moved, beginning in the 1980s, away from the parks and ramps built for the sport. Skateboarding now largely exists in a legally hazy space where amateur and professional skateboarders use existing infrastructure for their own purposes. Skateboarders, photographers and filmers now scout locations to document their tricks, creating a world with its own code of behavior, including an unspoken prohibition against executing the same trick at the same location as a previous skater.

That code never addressed how to respond when security workers do their job. Some skateboarders choose to flee before anything escalates, but others engage, often making for compelling scenes of what goes into the act of creating these videos.

A clip posted to Thrasher magazine’s Instagram account days before Jansen was injured shows a skater crashing into a security guard not far from 555 California Street.

Jansen had dealt with skateboarders many times before. The previous day, a colleague had called the police because of a resistant group of them.

“There’s 10, 15 skateboarders on the property, on the sidewalk,” the colleague says on a recording. “And we’ve asked them to leave and they’re not, and it’s getting out of hand. ”

On Dec. 10, the police in San Francisco arrested Jesse Vieira, a professional skateboarder, in connection with the confrontation with Jansen. Vieira was charged with assault with a deadly weapon, assault with force likely to cause great bodily injury and battery with serious bodily injury.

He pleaded not guilty and claimed self-defense. In May, a jury deadlocked. Prosecutors have set a new court date for September.

A lawyer for Vieira, Doug Rappaport, said the altercation and Jansen’s injury were the result of a series of unfortunate events. He said Jansen overreacted in the heat of the moment.

“Everything just came to a head that day and he just lost his cool just for a split second and Jesse happened to be standing there,” Rappaport said. “It’s unfortunate for everybody, horrible for the security guard.”

Jansen’s family is less focused on the outcome of the trial than on his struggles with the injuries.

“What happens to Jesse doesn’t change anything,” Amanda Jansen, said when asked how she felt after the mistrial.

Regardless of the outcome of the next trial, some important voices from within skateboarding are acknowledging that the sport needs to put the brakes on glorifying conflicts with security workers and get back to what Eisenhour described as “certain guidelines” that can minimize “the odds of conflict — and keeping the disruption to a minimum so the spot can still be used by others.”

If this case is an example, those guidelines may have broken down over time.

Brian Anderson, a longtime professional skateboarder and Thrasher’s 1999 skater of the year, said there were ways to head off a conflict.

“Sometimes there will be a security guard that’s like, ‘Hey you guys, I didn’t see you, you didn’t see me,’ and he or she will actually leave and you say thanks,” Anderson said.

Other times, skating involves moving from one place to the next to stay one step ahead of trouble.

“Treating those people with respect and walking away provides you with the opportunity to just feel better, feel good about yourself, but also you can most likely come back,” Josh Stewart, who makes films about the sport, said.

Since the inception of skateboarding, many skateboarders have sought the image of being rebels in an outlaw sport in which dodging security guards and the police goes with the territory. In the 1970s, skaters would find foreclosed homes and skate in their empty swimming pools, quickly fleeing if somebody came.

Once street skateboarding became dominant, videos that celebrated altercations with security guards, homeowners and pedestrians began to proliferate.

Neal Mims, a former professional skateboarder, said the rebellious side of skateboarding was always present. He said he did not like it because it was disrespectful to those outside the sport.

Neal Mims from Transworld SKATEboarding's Feedback video released in 1999. Transworld SKATEboarding
In a 1999 clip from the Transworld Skateboarding video “Feedback,” Mims nearly crashed into an oncoming security worker, and then got into a verbal altercation.

Mims, now a skateboarding coach, said skaters still recited the dialogue to him, though he was now ashamed of it. “The words, the language that I used, all is very disrespectful,” he said. “Pointing my finger in his face, telling him this ‘thing will annihilate you.’”

In 2018, around the time of the confrontation at 555 California Street, the skateboard shop and streetwear brand Supreme released a video called “Blessed.” In the final section of the video, the skateboarder Tyshawn Jones was shown trying to wrestle a security worker’s bicycle away from him and to tear barriers from a security worker’s hands in order to do his tricks. Later in 2018, Jones was crowned Thrasher’s skater of the year.

“I do believe that having Supreme, then Thrasher, elevate and glamorize that behavior to their highest rungs can lead to bad things as kids copy it in real life,” Eisenhour said. “To a degree, we are all guilty.”

Jones declined to comment. Thrasher did not respond to requests for comment.

For two weeks, there was no official word about who was involved at Black Rock, but the police suspected skateboarders, according to news reports. The security footage the police were using to identify suspects clearly showed a group of seven skateboarders.

The first post on the Slap message boards about the confrontation was dated Nov. 27, 2018.
Online message boards speculated that the altercation might have involved a crew of skateboarders calling themselves GX1000, who had become well known among skaters for their raw street skating and altercations with pedestrians, homeowners and security guards. The name GX1000 is trademarked by High Speed Productions, the owner of Thrasher. They have also been featured in The New York Times.

The charges against Jesse Vieira.
Vieira, the defendant, was recently on the cover of Thrasher and is a staple of the GX1000 videos. This was not a rogue gang with skateboards. This was a group of professionals with support from companies that embraced the sport’s culture.

Jesse Vieira on the cover of the August 2018 issue of Thrasher magazine.
During the trial, defense lawyers presented a second video of the confrontation, shot by one of the skateboarders at the scene. Vieira’s lawyer has argued that Jansen was responsible for inciting the violence.

Defense lawyers submitted this video as evidence in California’s criminal case against the skateboarder Jesse Vieira. He pleaded not guilty and claimed self-defense.
Still, numerous skateboarders described a sense of embarrassment to be associated with such behavior.

A Jan. 4, 2019, Instagram post from Eisenhour brought the story to the attention of many skaters.

The longtime skateboard photographer Bryce Kanights responded to the post, writing: “Truly saddened to see this and disgusted to think that those that enjoy the freedoms of skateboarding had to take such violent forms of action against a person doing their job.”

Stewart, the filmmaker, said he was worried about repercussions for the sport. If the sport glorifies confrontations, security workers may crack down even harder, limiting the places to skate.

Suggesting the culture needs to do its own policing, he said, “When I see it in videos it confirms to me or confirms to the rest of the world that it’s something that needs to be more policed.”

Jansen being transferred to a walker for rehabilitation in June. Amanda Jansen
Jansen has had two additional brain operations. For a time, he was able to walk with assistance, but not anymore. He had recovered enough to recognize family members, but that ability has also declined. He currently receives therapy in outpatient rehab five days a week, but the arrangement is temporary, and his long-term future remains uncertain.

“We will need to figure out how to care for him,” Jansen’s niece, Amanda, said.

Vieira’s lawyer insisted in the first trial that Jansen had a longstanding resentment toward skateboarders, that he referred to them as “punks” and “street brats” to his boss.

“Security guards don’t have the right to beat you, and that’s what happened here,” Mr. Rappaport, the lawyer, said. “It’s so sad, but the fact is, it was a fight — and Mr. Vieira defended himself.”

Whether or not a second jury agrees with him, the skateboarding community will render its own judgment.

“I think the skate culture needs to take a long, hard look at where it’s going,” the Berrics, a skateboarding website, posted on Eisenhour’s Instagram post. “This is really sad for anyone to have to deal with.”
:) I must have been tripping last night

hateboard

• Rep: -277
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1703 on: July 25, 2019, 02:01:09 PM »
slap getting shine from the new york times

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1704 on: July 25, 2019, 02:01:29 PM »
Slap screenshots are making it into the NYTimes.

Can someone post the screen shots?

I used up my free articles for month and I can't read the article.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

doyle

• Rep: 214
« Reply #1705 on: July 25, 2019, 02:02:52 PM »
It should work if you open the link in an incognito window.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1706 on: July 25, 2019, 02:08:36 PM »
It should work if you open the link in an incognito window.

Good call. Thanks.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
« Reply #1707 on: July 25, 2019, 02:09:06 PM »

the message boards link takes you right to the thread.
Time to batten down the hatches and prepare for onslaught of fuckboys

nobody says “rootin tootin” anymore to describe how gas the session was and it makes me sick

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
« Reply #1708 on: July 25, 2019, 02:16:17 PM »
So it seems Jesse is getting re-tried.

I think the video ignores it took 15 minutes of building up to get to that point of the skaters moving barricades and stopping him from doing his job. The security guard didn't come out like that. Either way, a sad situation all around.

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #1709 on: July 25, 2019, 02:31:26 PM »
I can still barely tell what went on from Garshell's and cctv footage but all the prosecutor has to do is show all the GX edits where they fuck with homeowners and security. They'll say its in their character (and is) to be confrontational.

In the cctv Dela def started it. Crazy shit.