Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread  (Read 145029 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread
« Reply #600 on: November 21, 2019, 01:30:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

What width? I’d love a non-Chinese Toy Machine board with 14.5” wheelbase. I am in Europe though so I guess that’s unlikely. 🤔
[close]

8.25".. I posted pics of it in the setup thread (although I've switched the trucks to black Ace 44 since then) if you want to see it. Try to find the pro models or non price point team decks (like mine) if you want to avoid China wood. I'm not sure if Tumyeto uses a different woodshop for Europe but I'd they don't then those should be PS Stix and the 8.25“ x 31.75“ 14.5“ wheelbase mellow concave mold is used on a bunch of them.

Also I emailed Socal and they confirmed that it was a mistake and the only Tumyeto they have from Watson is the Markovich 30 year reissue.
[close]

Thanks for the info. 8.25” is a bit skinny for me. Doable maybe, but not preferable. Anyway Toy Machine at least used to have most of their boards in Europe pressed in China so it’s always a gamble if you can’t confirm it in advance. If they got their shit together like most other companies and wouldn’t try to treat their European customers like shit, I’d love to give them a chance still. My love for Toy Machine hasn’t completely died yet.
[close]

Where do you live? The shipping is probably outrageous but if you really want one I'm sure there's some US shops that would send you one, or maybe a friendly SLAP pal can help you with it. I do sympathize with you, it seems like it's more difficult to get quality decks in Europe than over here, although you do get access to those awesome Lovenskate pennswood decks and I got my first Sour board last month and really like the Jart wood. It's quite thick and heavy but very stiff and feels damn near indestructible. Getting shinners is awful because its like getting smacked in the leg with a lead pipe but the pop is great and the concave is really nice.
[close]

I live in Finland. It's not that hard to get nice boards here. Some brands just want to cut corners and try to sell us crap and those brands won't get my business. Some of the smaller US brands aren't easy to come by I guess and it might be better to be smart about buying what you like when it's available as things might sell out relatively quickly. Ordering online throughout Europe is always an option too and that way you can find a lot more stuff than locally but I prefer to buy locally if they have what I want.

Anyway I'm not exactly hurting for boards and ordering from the US really isn't an option due to shipping, customs and taxes. Ed just has to live without my money due to his poor choices.
[close]

In your experience, which brands do you think try to peddle shit out there to you?

Check the first page. Of the ones I’ve thought of  buying Toy Machine & Habitat come to mind first.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 670
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #601 on: November 22, 2019, 05:17:09 AM »
For those who might me interested, i was suprised to see that Primitive X DBZ Final Drop was "Made In China" (while the two previous ones were Made in Mexico).
Not the first world problem. I guess they just want to make more money.

the problem is that the offset series (with the huge names on it) is made in China too

shape is kinda square too

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #602 on: November 22, 2019, 06:03:01 AM »
For those who might me interested, i was suprised to see that Primitive X DBZ Final Drop was "Made In China" (while the two previous ones were Made in Mexico).

the problem is that the offset series (with the huge names on it) is made in China too

Gotta watch those margins. Can’t have 20 pros and not use cheaper factories. Jk, more than likely BBS could have been backed up and they went somewhere else just to meet the orders. I hope. I actually like primitives shapes

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1146
« Reply #603 on: November 22, 2019, 06:24:36 AM »
Maybe they switched after production runs. The last ones offset i looked at had the made in mexico sticker.

alright

« Reply #604 on: November 22, 2019, 07:05:27 AM »

Any idea who is making them in china? Like is it the girl/chocolate factory or some place totally different?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2002
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #605 on: November 22, 2019, 07:14:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No more BBS? What the hell
Any idea who is making them in china? Like is it the girl/chocolate factory or some place totally different?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 670
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #606 on: November 22, 2019, 08:14:01 AM »
i guess i should add that i am in France

i'll post a picture of the sticker if it can help
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 08:16:27 AM by BALARGUE »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #607 on: November 22, 2019, 08:38:30 AM »
i guess i should add that i am in France

i'll post a picture of the sticker if it can help
They love to flood Europe with Chinese crap... A toy machine, Leabres, I had was Chinese while living in the Czech Republic
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #608 on: November 30, 2019, 04:03:17 PM »
Btw that Colours crap comes from...?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 343
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #609 on: December 02, 2019, 01:16:01 PM »
If you are based in Europe just buy HLC pressed wood. I've had two boards this year and wouldn't hesitate to get a few more if I had the chance

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #610 on: December 02, 2019, 04:59:56 PM »
If you are based in Europe just buy HLC pressed wood. I've had two boards this year and wouldn't hesitate to get a few more if I had the chance
Not anymore, back in South America for a while. Just got one PS and one bbs
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 821
« Reply #611 on: December 04, 2019, 01:23:53 AM »
I just ordered a Madness impact light, does anyone know if it's just a normal R7 board with the carbon fiber insert or do they use a more traditional process with Franklin sk-8 glue for the impact boards?

I'm curious about this thing but I almost feel like a reinforced r7 will end up being too stiff.   

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #612 on: December 04, 2019, 07:26:18 AM »
I just ordered a Madness impact light, does anyone know if it's just a normal R7 board with the carbon fiber insert or do they use a more traditional process with Franklin sk-8 glue for the impact boards?

I'm curious about this thing but I almost feel like a reinforced r7 will end up being too stiff.
My friend swears by those impact lights.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #613 on: December 04, 2019, 11:35:48 AM »

its r7, itll be dope. double impacts were very stiff. impact light is good feeling for a long time.

Trash_Eater

• Rep: 0
  • It's ok to eat your own cum
« Reply #614 on: December 06, 2019, 02:10:21 AM »
Anybody know the deal as to if there is a spectrum of different quality boards coming out of one shop?

For example: went to my local shop and picked up an Ishod REAL deck, marked I (for top of stack i presume).
was considering some of the shop decks which the clerk said were pressed at the same factory BBS. the board was same width and length as the REAL deck (8.3 x32) but felt way heavier in your hand and clunky. even the shop dude agreed when he compared them...

I've gotten AWS boards too that seem to be heavier than REAL wood in the same size (8.25's)

maybe it works like food ordering systems for restaurants where they can order different grades of "organic" food. - so like some shittier wood or glue combo coming out of a prestigious shop...?

« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 02:12:30 AM by Trash_Eater »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #615 on: December 06, 2019, 02:35:44 AM »
Yes, just like you said it.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #616 on: December 06, 2019, 08:05:31 AM »
Anybody know the deal as to if there is a spectrum of different quality boards coming out of one shop?

For example: went to my local shop and picked up an Ishod REAL deck, marked I (for top of stack i presume).
was considering some of the shop decks which the clerk said were pressed at the same factory BBS. the board was same width and length as the REAL deck (8.3 x32) but felt way heavier in your hand and clunky. even the shop dude agreed when he compared them...

I've gotten AWS boards too that seem to be heavier than REAL wood in the same size (8.25's)

maybe it works like food ordering systems for restaurants where they can order different grades of "organic" food. - so like some shittier wood or glue combo coming out of a prestigious shop...?

I was wondering the same thing about BBS/generator as I’ve noticed the Real/Krooked decks are obviously from the same worship but the Scram decks I have seen a bit different. Maybe a little thicker of something

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #617 on: December 06, 2019, 08:12:23 AM »
dunno if it applies to the US market but i know certain brands (aws/antihero/habitat) use a diff woodshop for price point/euro decks iirc

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #618 on: December 06, 2019, 11:34:06 AM »
dunno if it applies to the US market but i know certain brands (aws/antihero/habitat) use a diff woodshop for price point/euro decks iirc

Some do, but there's still some variation between brands that use the same shop. If I had to guess they probably somewhat prioritize the bigger companies so like DLX would get the best batches of wood while someone getting a small run of shop boards might get the average stuff. Kinda the same way  guitar builders do, or the way they use the best wood for face veneers. Or maybe they run the shop orders on older presses or something?

Does anyone know who does Skate Mental? I see Tired is listed under PS so I would assume it's them but they don't seem to have any of the usual PS identification details.

Edit: For all the other Pennswood fans out there they just put a bunch of shit up cheap. Lots of good stuff, especially if you ride smaller boards. 

https://pennswood.myshopify.com/
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 05:43:45 PM by Buttfart Rapedick »

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #619 on: December 07, 2019, 03:14:10 AM »
Iirc skate mental was using the same china shop that crail was using but this was also years ago

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1603
« Reply #620 on: December 07, 2019, 08:17:49 AM »
Yes, just like you said it.

I agree too....I tend to even think DLX stuff is better than other brands that use generator like Magenta or Alltimers.  Not way better, but just better.  It's like there are tiers....and that said the other smaller brands, when I've skated them, never really had problems, but the DLX stuff is maybe 10-20% better? 

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #621 on: December 07, 2019, 09:25:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Some do, but there's still some variation between brands that use the same shop. If I had to guess they probably somewhat prioritize the bigger companies so like DLX would get the best batches of wood while someone getting a small run of shop boards might get the average stuff. Kinda the same way  guitar builders do, or the way they use the best wood for face veneers. Or maybe they run the shop orders on older presses or something?

Does anyone know who does Skate Mental? I see Tired is listed under PS so I would assume it's them but they don't seem to have any of the usual PS identification details.

Edit: For all the other Pennswood fans out there they just put a bunch of shit up cheap. Lots of good stuff, especially if you ride smaller boards. 

skate mental is bbs now

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #622 on: December 07, 2019, 12:25:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

skate mental is bbs now

Oh damn. That’s an improvement.

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #623 on: December 07, 2019, 07:43:36 PM »

I recently had 2 of the same Antihero boards. One was noticeably thicker and heavier. I weighed them and it was indeed true. I have 2 of the same Krooked boards sitting here right now that are also much different.
How much for an order of ribs?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 880
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #624 on: December 08, 2019, 12:24:17 AM »
who presses for madrid?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #625 on: December 08, 2019, 07:38:53 AM »
For some reason I think they had their own shop. 

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #626 on: December 09, 2019, 09:55:25 AM »
Fixer skateboards are ASF/Clutch, not South central (messages them on Instagram to ask a few months ago)

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #627 on: December 09, 2019, 03:03:00 PM »
For some reason I think they had their own shop.

Yeah I was also under the impression Madrid does things in-house.

Anyone got any info on Demon Seed? They've got some rad graphics and interesting shapes.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #628 on: December 09, 2019, 08:09:14 PM »
who presses for madrid?

Madrid

https://www.madridskateboards.com/pages/madrid-skateboards-our-history

Today, we're still turning out skateboards from our Huntington Beach factory with the belief that boards should be crafted to perfection and guaranteed to perform.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #629 on: December 09, 2019, 11:04:33 PM »
From what I recall, the boards seemed to be not so hot....fine for some old school shit, but that's about it...