Author Topic: Whats more important for being a good skater: narrow hips or natural stength?  (Read 10544 times)

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3421
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I have honestly never once considered hip width in my 35 years of skateboarding. This isn't meant as an insult to you, OP...but it has never once crossed my mind. And I like dudes with big asses...and I STILL have never considered this as it pertains to skateboarding.
[close]
[close]

are you or were you ever good at skateboarding? genuine question

Good? No.
In love with it? Yes.

Gorillastyle

• Rep: -34
Kelvin hoeflers hips dont lie, his thighs have a girth of like 24" but it looks like his upper body has a slight genetic build of a fat Jim bates. Since Nyjah has been part of the fitness gang and been taking what he hoped was a undetectable dose of dbols he's looking alittle top heavy. I truly think he was more capable when he had the 'narrow hip' build

I agree. Nyjahs form looked more natural when he was a kid.

Gorillastyle

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
over 25 posts, zero reading, op, get of.
[close]
What are you so upset about?
Im asking a good question on an issue that most pro skaters are probably aware of.
Why you russled?
[close]

alpha gorillas don't wanna see you drag your knuckles trying to pop a maneuver
[close]

Im not trying to offend you, but have you never actually considered what body attributes help/hurt skating ability?
Its simple geometry man. Like do you actually look at luan oliveira and bam margera and scratch your head wondering why bam cant skate as well as luan?
Cut me Some fucking slack man.
[close]

Probably because Bam was skating more than a decade ago and stopped before he could do anything worthy. Are you really dumb enough to compare a high level skater from today to one that didn't even turn pro legitimately a long fucking time ago? What's next? Are you going to complain how Rodney Mullen can't kickflip a 10 stair?

Im comparing peak bam to peak luan.

Bony cawk

• Rep: 23
What if a skater had wide hips and was weak as hell

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched

Don’t be talkin’ bout yo momma like that.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
What if you had a foot transplant and it turned out the donor pushed mongo??!!

This is the real question here

notcool

Expand Quote
Templeton is that you???
[close]

I've noticed that tall and skinny people almost always become fat later in life.
  I think its mainly due to lousy diet/ beer and when you're young you skate a lot more and have a high metabolism.  you stop skating your metabolism goes to shit but you keep up with your normal consumption so your bound to gain weight even if you used to be skinny.

Gorillastyle

They probly would have a hard time
Simply Standing on a stationary board.

Gorillastyle

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Templeton is that you???
[close]

I've noticed that tall and skinny people almost always become fat later in life.
[close]
  I think its mainly due to lousy diet/ beer and when you're young you skate a lot more and have a high metabolism.  you stop skating your metabolism goes to shit but you keep up with your normal consumption so your bound to gain weight even if you used to be skinny.

Yeah. Your hips get wider naturally as you age either
Way. Just a consequence of aging. Ask
Anybody in their late 20s or 30s if their pant size hasnt changed from what it was when they were 16. s part of the reason skating gets harder as you age. Metabolism is part of it too for sure
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 07:44:56 PM by Gorillastyle »

PC Principal

Expand Quote
[close]
Do you even lift bro?

FLstrange

• Rep: 324
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Do you even lift bro?

stop with the microaggressions against petite physiques, it 2019 and you should set aside your bigotry and realize people of all body types are capable of beauty.

PC Principal

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Do you even lift bro?
[close]

stop with the microaggressions against petite physiques, it 2019 and you should set aside your bigotry and realize people of all body types are capable of beauty.
I said one microaggression to him, okay? One little microaggression, but that doesn’t mean I have a unconscious bias.

The Mighty Pink Hole

• Rep: 25
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Do you even lift bro?
[close]

[close]
I said one microaggression to him, okay? One little microaggression, but that doesn’t mean I have a unconscious bias.

One microaggression is all it takes bro.
i got shalom tatted on my face (im not joking)

FLstrange

• Rep: 324
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Do you even lift bro?
[close]

[close]
[close]

One microaggression is all it takes bro.
the ability to remain unbiased was lost after that egregious infraction, it indicates how truly compromised this individual's PCness actually is.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 09:52:04 PM by FLstrange »

Save the dolphin flip

• Rep: -71
I have wide hips and I feel they have hindered my progress in skating a bit compared to my friends with narrow hips who got much better at stuff like 360 Ollie's for example. I realized it long ago, but never thought about it physics wise. It makes sense though that its harder to balance I guess.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
who fuckin cares, just go skate nerd

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 89
    • Fotos avatar image
I have always considered it more about weight related to hight. Of course the average pro I would think is shorter than average with narrow hips. There are some short pros who are heavy and strong like Jon Dixon and Jamie Foy. Those to are called fat alot in the media, but if you see them in person they are very naturally muscular. They are almost built like gymnists. The perfect gymnist is fairly heavy and very muscular. That is somehow the perfect weight and muscle ratio for throwing you body arround.
All the tall pro skaters, and there are very few of them, tend to be fairly long and skinny: Figgy, Reynolds, who else?
I guess exceptions to the rule would be Brian Anderson or maybe Arto (he was super skinny though, when he won soty) who at least when they got older seemed to get wider? Is Chriss Cole tall? 

What would a super athlete skateboarder produced in a lab look like? I am shure the chinese are already working on that problem...

Vintagebody

• Rep: 86
Ideal body for skateboarding:
Short height
Excellent mobility
Excellent fine motor skills

Skateboarding is technique. You cant really power thru tricks too much, so its better to have great mobilty and fine motor skills to have very precise and smooth/consistent movement.

I've noticed myself that after I started to lift alot (bench 225, squat 330), my skateboarding has become alot less smooth and my body simply cant move in such a fine way anymore. I can jump really high tho

Bagelskate

• Rep: 62
Ideal body for skateboarding:
Short height
Excellent mobility
Excellent fine motor skills

Skateboarding is technique. You cant really power thru tricks too much, so its better to have great mobilty and fine motor skills to have very precise and smooth/consistent movement.

I've noticed myself that after I started to lift alot (bench 225, squat 330), my skateboarding has become alot less smooth and my body simply cant move in such a fine way anymore. I can jump really high tho

You can keep the flexibility and strength in your legs if you sub in some yoga or something similar from time to time.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 86
Sure, but it seems to be very difficult to maintain that fine motor skills once one add some muscle.

CraneStyle

• Rep: 3
Don't worry guys, I crunched the numbers

Conclusions: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ go skate

Brguy

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Im asking a good question on an issue that most pro skaters are probably aware of.
Why you russled?
[close]

[close]

Im not trying to offend you, but have you never actually considered what body attributes help/hurt skating ability?
Its simple geometry man. Like do you actually look at luan oliveira and bam margera and scratch your head wondering why bam cant skate as well as luan?
[close]

Probably because Bam was skating more than a decade ago and stopped before he could do anything worthy. Are you really dumb enough to compare a high level skater from today to one that didn't even turn pro legitimately a long fucking time ago? What's next? Are you going to complain how Rodney Mullen can't kickflip a 10 stair?
[close]

This is still a decade ago, dumbass. No peak skater from before compares to a peak skater from now, that's just how things evolve.

I have always considered it more about weight related to hight. Of course the average pro I would think is shorter than average with narrow hips. There are some short pros who are heavy and strong like Jon Dixon and Jamie Foy. Those to are called fat alot in the media, but if you see them in person they are very naturally muscular. They are almost built like gymnists. The perfect gymnist is fairly heavy and very muscular. That is somehow the perfect weight and muscle ratio for throwing you body arround.
All the tall pro skaters, and there are very few of them, tend to be fairly long and skinny: Figgy, Reynolds, who else?
I guess exceptions to the rule would be Brian Anderson or maybe Arto (he was super skinny though, when he won soty) who at least when they got older seemed to get wider? Is Chriss Cole tall? 

What would a super athlete skateboarder produced in a lab look like? I am shure the chinese are already working on that problem...
There's a lot of tall skinny skaters, just depends on how tall you're asking them to be, if you're talking Figgy high it's not so much, really, but I guess there's a lot of them close to Drew's height.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065

Haha, so far you’re batting 1.000.

I would like to hear more about these microaggressions.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Knox Harrington

• Rep: 11
Skateboarding has had two midgets and various people with missing legs be successful.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 89
    • Fotos avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Why you russled?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
This is still a decade ago, dumbass. No peak skater from before compares to a peak skater from now, that's just how things evolve.

Expand Quote

[close]
There's a lot of tall skinny skaters, just depends on how tall you're asking them to be, if you're talking Figgy high it's not so much, really, but I guess there's a lot of them close to Drew's height.

Tall for me is above average height. For western males that would be about 5 11". Andrew Reynolds would be about that hight. Most other pros are much shorter. I was almost always surprised of how short they were when I saw them in person. Even skaters you would think are of average height like Heath or Collin Provost turn out to be short fellas when you meet them in person.

notcool

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Why you russled?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Tall for me is above average height. For western males that would be about 5 11". Andrew Reynolds would be about that hight. Most other pros are much shorter. I was almost always surprised of how short they were when I saw them in person. Even skaters you would think are of average height like Heath or Collin Provost turn out to be short fellas when you meet them in person.
  Based on the stuff he skates, I would put Heath at like 6'2 is he really under 6 feet?

superslopp

if only all first posts were this great

PC Principal

Expand Quote
Skateboarding has had two midgets and various people with missing legs be successful.
[close]

Careful with the "m" word, bro. The PC Principal is lurking.

Brooo wtf.. height discrimination?! Don’t you watch tlc they prefer the term little person.

Brguy

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Why you russled?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Really? I'd guess most of these thin looking guys were at least 6 foot. I didn't even think that was really above average.

Vert Reynolds

• Rep: -32

An Extra long STiff Torso that goes into the long STiff neck & having a physically big Head helps

Chris Cole & Scotty Pazelt are perfect examples
Do You even Street Style ???