Author Topic: Austin, Texas  (Read 12963 times)

Gil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
Austin, Texas
« on: January 22, 2019, 11:40:01 AM »
Hey pals,

Wondering if any of y'all have any tips for a weekend skate trip to Austin in February. I searched through some old threads but figured I start this for more up to date info.

Never been before, but we're definitely going to check out No Comply. It appears to be in the downtown area. Would that be a good zone to try to get a hotel in? Something not too outrageously expensive but relatively close to spots would be ideal. Any other areas you'd recommend to lurk around for spots other than downtown?

It's just a homie skate trip, so other than skating, food and some chill bars is probably all we'll get into. I've seen there's some good BBQ, any recommendations there? I'd imagine there's some pretty dope Mexican food as well. As far as nightlife, are there any cool areas you like? Not clubs or anything like that, but some fun places, anywhere with a pool table, something along those lines?

Thanks guys.
Going into to business with Vallely is the skateboarding equivalent of starting a land war in Asia, just don't.

calvinsdream

Re: Austin, Texas
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 12:40:30 PM »
Hey pals,

Wondering if any of y'all have any tips for a weekend skate trip to Austin in February. I searched through some old threads but figured I start this for more up to date info.

Never been before, but we're definitely going to check out No Comply. It appears to be in the downtown area. Would that be a good zone to try to get a hotel in? Something not too outrageously expensive but relatively close to spots would be ideal. Any other areas you'd recommend to lurk around for spots other than downtown?

It's just a homie skate trip, so other than skating, food and some chill bars is probably all we'll get into. I've seen there's some good BBQ, any recommendations there? I'd imagine there's some pretty dope Mexican food as well. As far as nightlife, are there any cool areas you like? Not clubs or anything like that, but some fun places, anywhere with a pool table, something along those lines?

Thanks guys.

No Comply is a good start, and it's near to the main Austin skatepark downtown. Avoid 6th street if you don't want to drown in douches.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 02:20:08 PM »
pack some linen pants.

duster1

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 05:54:47 PM »
Go to house park and bring basketball shorts
Skating and Baitin

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 06:30:16 PM »
The brisket at Terry Black's BBQ is amazing. Best BBQ I've ever had.

Radio Coffee and Beer is a decent coffee shop (the taco truck parked out front is pretty good).

Skylark Lounge is a bit out of town, but a cool place to visit for a drink or two.

The park is super fun and you can easily walk from there to No Comply.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Gil

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 06:39:39 AM »
Thanks for the tips, guys.

We'll definitely check out that BBQ spot.

Probably lurk around the streets rather than spending much time in parks, but it's good to know that there's a good one so close to No Comply.

Appreciate you dudes!
Going into to business with Vallely is the skateboarding equivalent of starting a land war in Asia, just don't.

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 08:55:36 PM »
The hip bbq spots like Micklethwait and La Barbecue are the best in Austin proper, and they’re really good. If you can make it down to Lockhart you can get some of the non-yuppie good stuff.

As mentioned, House park is around the corner from No Comply and is definitely worth a stop. Yellow Jacket is where the skaters/punks/hipsters/bikers all drink and they serve good food too. Breakfast tacos at Veracruz are killer. If you want a more local dive bar vibe hit up Barfly’s a little north off Airport for pool.

Gil

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 07:34:22 AM »
Sick. Thanks for the info, Grampa.

Would y'all say just cruising downtown would be the most productive for street spots? Or are there any other areas worth skating around to find things?

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 06:56:11 AM »
never realized how many slap people are from Austin. I've been out of the loop with making new skate friends and just work and hang with people i met from school. I'm 30 and need skate ppl in my life. DM if yall want to skate house, drink, whatever it is.

calvinsdream

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 12:25:28 PM »
never realized how many slap people are from Austin. I've been out of the loop with making new skate friends and just work and hang with people i met from school. I'm 30 and need skate ppl in my life. DM if yall want to skate house, drink, whatever it is.

Houston actually. I like Austin though.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 02:40:25 PM »
Hit up Franklin's BBQ [early, as in get in line well before noon].

Gil

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 01:54:22 PM »
Hit up Franklin's BBQ [early, as in get in line well before noon].

Thanks Xen. We'll make sure to check it out.

HURRICANEDEATH

• Rep: 3
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 08:08:28 AM »
I used to work at Micklethwait smoking the meats at night.

I will echo a lot of what was already mentioned: House Park, No-Comply, Yellow Jacket, La BBQ/ Micklethwait.

I will add Better Half on West 5th for coffee and food. Great weekday happy hour with amazing $5 burgers.

There are spots downtown and in West Campus which are accessible from the shop/House Park. Some of the others ones you might have to use a car.
Grinding down their system one curb at a time.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 08:16:54 AM »
if you go to terrys, spring for a beef rib. brisket is good but beef rib is the crown jewel of austin BBQ to me

they are 1.5 pounds or so and cost about 30 but you can split with a buddy and you can eat them with a plastic fork, the meat just falls off the bone. also the middle pieces are better than the end pieces IMHO as your salty crust to buttery meat ratio is better.

if you skate house on weekend mornings we might already know each other. i'm usually up there sat or sunday morning skating the 3' quarter with the locals and that slappy curb thing. the whole vibe is super friendly so if you just show up and chill, bros will happen.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 11:40:42 AM »
if you go to terrys, spring for a beef rib. brisket is good but beef rib is the crown jewel of austin BBQ to me

they are 1.5 pounds or so and cost about 30 but you can split with a buddy and you can eat them with a plastic fork, the meat just falls off the bone. also the middle pieces are better than the end pieces IMHO as your salty crust to buttery meat ratio is better.

Expand Quote
[close]

if you skate house on weekend mornings we might already know each other. i'm usually up there sat or sunday morning skating the 3' quarter with the locals and that slappy curb thing. the whole vibe is super friendly so if you just show up and chill, bros will happen.
I used to alot more when i lived closer. Living by the 183 and Airport blvd now. Gonna try to start making the trek again. Also be less of a silent fuck when skating will help too haha.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2019, 11:51:08 AM »
Hey sorry for bringing this thread back and I didn’t really want to create a new one since this one already exists.

Jan 3-6 I’m going to be in Austin for a get away with some homies. I’m trying to break off and skate some. Aside from house park and no-comply is there anywhere I should check out? Any DIYs or cool ditches?

If anyone wants grab a drink I’m your dude.

super-basic

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2019, 12:12:58 PM »
I like 5-hip ditch.

It's near Stassney and Manchaca.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir//30.215388999999995,-97.79203999999999

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2019, 12:56:45 PM »
i've always wanted to check out austin high banks which are close to house and no comply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udOTi-qw4k4

i think downtown is pretty fun. if your in on a weekend and new too town there are plenty of fun things to mess around on and lots of hills to bomb. there is a really sick flat bar to hill bomb across the street from the capital factory, curbs cutting out of hills, this one spot near chase bank that has this round empty fountain that you can slappy blunt and things like that (it's a bust but worth it to get a few tricks).

« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 06:07:41 AM by Sleazy »

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2019, 02:00:58 PM »
If you like ramen hit up Ramen Tatsuya
If you like fried chickn and burgers hit up Top Notch
If you like Tex-mex hit up El Caribe

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2019, 06:13:25 AM »
Gonna throw a couple places to chill out there:

Hotel Vegas
Barracuda
White Horse (definitely peep this)
La Perla (brush up on your Spanish and buy an armadillo)
Elephant Room if you like Jazz
Cheer up Charlie’s
Also going to second Yellow Jacket

For straight up pool tables check The Grand

A lot of neighborhoods outside of the campus and downtown areas allow open containers on the street. Doesn’t mean you can take drinks from bars though. Travis Heights is a good drunk walk for fancy houses, urban green belt, and the chance to see foxes.

Skate the Blanton Museum on campus (on MLK, can’t miss it)

Flat ground with a great view of the city at the Long center
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2019, 10:50:10 AM »
I’m almost positive that if you go to no complys website they had a link to a google map thing that had like every park ditch and spot in the surrounding areas.

If not it’s a easy google and I’m almost sure it’s been posted here.

There’s no shortage of parks that’s for sure.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2019, 01:14:23 PM »
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

shitdick22

• Rep: 1
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2019, 04:56:56 PM »
Going to be in Austin tomorrow through the 29th if anyone's trying to catch a session send me a pm!

cilantro

• Rep: 44
  • human bean
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2019, 08:54:16 AM »
I'd imagine there's some pretty dope Mexican food as well.
Hahaha

mrdanielcarter

• Rep: -7
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2020, 08:50:08 PM »
just moved to austin.

pretty shit skater. HOLLLER

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1045
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2020, 02:45:42 PM »
pack some linen pants.

Would gnar if I could - I had borderline chapped balls from the heat.

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2021, 12:04:53 AM »
In Austin. Already went to house park twice. Where else should I go?

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2021, 04:54:34 AM »
If you want skateparks i like lakewood

https://g.co/kgs/rz7yAC

There’s parks all over though, pflugervil, cedar park

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2021, 09:55:02 PM »
where are the spots near 40th and red river
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2021, 12:25:30 PM »
In Austin. Already went to house park twice. Where else should I go?

Back home.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.