Author Topic: Vhs-c conversion?  (Read 1334 times)

burn_to_live

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
Vhs-c conversion?
« on: February 04, 2019, 08:46:01 PM »
So... I have these vhs-c tapes from filming when i was a kid, and I was wondering if some PALS could help me out. Is there an easy way to get vhs-c tapes converted to mp4?
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • Speculatnaciousness?
Re: Vhs-c conversion?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 09:06:06 PM »
So... I have these vhs-c tapes from filming when i was a kid, and I was wondering if some PALS could help me out. Is there an easy way to get vhs-c tapes converted to mp4?

same.

I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 09:34:41 AM »
I’ve been wondering about that too. Guess we all came up in the same era. VHS-C is like the Mini Disc of the VCR world. I think you have to put the VHS-C into one of those regular-size VHS adapters and from there the rest is the same as doing a VHS to digital conversion. Or maybe there’s a way to hook the camera up to your computer if you still have the camera.

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 11:20:42 AM »
I’ve been wondering about that too. Guess we all came up in the same era. VHS-C is like the Mini Disc of the VCR world. I think you have to put the VHS-C into one of those regular-size VHS adapters and from there the rest is the same as doing a VHS to digital conversion. Or maybe there’s a way to hook the camera up to your computer if you still have the camera.
Yeah, I still have the camera. I actually found a video last night, but I don't have a mac.

I also found this service I might use.
https://www.amazon.com/Transfer-Service-MiniDV-Digital8-Digital/dp/B01LZT1SFJ/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1549394361&sr=8-9
Hope you guys have good luck.
(edit) Fun Fact: The camera in the video is the same one I have.

Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 751
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 09:49:47 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Roxio-Easy-Plus-Video-Converter/dp/B006GOFW3E/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1549432081&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=vcr+to+pc&psc=1

I use this and it works. Sometimes the quality isn't the greatest, but, if it's coming from VHS-C...
Also, I transfer it through the camera. Tried with a cheap VCR* (dunno if the VCR actually worked or not though) and it didn't work, so...

Also, pro tip if you're gonna use amazon:
Start going to smile.amazon.com and it'll donate a portion of your purchase to a charity of your choice. Tony Hawk Foundation is on there, as is the ACLU.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 09:54:45 PM by Allen. »
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 02:29:40 PM »
Any capture card that has RCA inputs would work. That's how I backed up my old band's home videos.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 08:59:18 PM »
how did this go for you guys? I just bought a vcr and vhs-c adapter on ebay, and a usb adapter thing on amazon, so I could finally get going on this, which I've been thinking about doing for years. gonna convert some old home videos and old skate videos to digital.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2278
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 09:06:51 PM »
I've done this, and as long as you have the settings in the highest quality you're good to go. Make sure your vcr is clean though,those cleaning tapes work wonders.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 09:21:40 AM »
I need to find a way to rip stuff too.

About ten years ago it was easier because most computers had FireWire. I would run the analog format (VHS, Hi-8) through my MiniDV which would convert to digital, then connect the MiniDV to computer via FireWire.

I see a lot of USB capture devices out there but most have terrible reviews.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2278
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 09:38:45 AM »
I need to find a way to rip stuff too.

About ten years ago it was easier because most computers had FireWire. I would run the analog format (VHS, Hi-8) through my MiniDV which would convert to digital, then connect the MiniDV to computer via FireWire.

I see a lot of USB capture devices out there but most have terrible reviews.
The one posted above works good,really any of them that gamers use will do the job. They all use a usb to av connection.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Skateboard Shuffle

• Rep: 137
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 04:24:02 PM »
I used this one last year to convert all of my old VHS, 8mm, and MiniDV tapes from the 80's and 90's. Worked great. Super easy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029U2YSA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1