Author Topic: Baker 4 coming in August  (Read 249251 times)

swordtechnique

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -56
Re: Baker 4 coming in August
« Reply #1800 on: November 25, 2019, 09:58:08 PM »
This video was almost perfect.  Everyone saying it didn't feel like a baker video must not realize that its 2019 and a lot of the "hijinx" from the baker of 15 years ago wouldn't fly, and for good reason.  Plus do you still really want to watch a bunch of teenagers scream and throw water on each other in hotel rooms or scream at their skateboards over and over?  I loved baker 3 just like everyone else but after watching this I rewatched baker 2g, summer tour 2001, and 3. Honestly some of the "hijinx" are just embarrassing, but it was a different time.  I still found it all fun to watch but out of nostalgia.

Skateboarding is pretty boring now, everyone can 5-0 a triple kink and slide switch back tails 40 ft.  This video (and blessed) is showing more of a feel than the most insane hammers and I'm here for it.  I get that people don't want to watch someone push and peoples faces for 45 minutes straight but the format for videos has to progress or shit gets stale. Make me feel something that isn't just "wow he backsmith front shuv'd a hubba."

Baker and the OG's have  all matured just like you are supposed to as you age and this video managed to nail the "mature baker vibe" on the head.

Very much enjoyed it. 31 years old.

Oh and that nollie bs flip down the nine was fucking sick.  That's what I want to see, something that actually looks good.

The only downside for me is how uncomfortable Beagle's skating looks.  I want to enjoy it but can't.

I don't need to see hijinx anymore but I'd also appreciate it not blatantly jacking the Supreme video's style.  Some people are into it. I'm not. I'm into Baker.

Like what the fuck happened to Beagle? Did he even film this shit? When I see other clips filmed by him recently they still look like clips filmed by Beagle.  This video doesn't though, at all.

euro tm

« Reply #1801 on: November 25, 2019, 10:11:57 PM »

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #1802 on: November 25, 2019, 10:27:05 PM »
Expand Quote
This video was almost perfect.  Everyone saying it didn't feel like a baker video must not realize that its 2019 and a lot of the "hijinx" from the baker of 15 years ago wouldn't fly, and for good reason.  Plus do you still really want to watch a bunch of teenagers scream and throw water on each other in hotel rooms or scream at their skateboards over and over?  I loved baker 3 just like everyone else but after watching this I rewatched baker 2g, summer tour 2001, and 3. Honestly some of the "hijinx" are just embarrassing, but it was a different time.  I still found it all fun to watch but out of nostalgia.

Skateboarding is pretty boring now, everyone can 5-0 a triple kink and slide switch back tails 40 ft.  This video (and blessed) is showing more of a feel than the most insane hammers and I'm here for it.  I get that people don't want to watch someone push and peoples faces for 45 minutes straight but the format for videos has to progress or shit gets stale. Make me feel something that isn't just "wow he backsmith front shuv'd a hubba."

Baker and the OG's have  all matured just like you are supposed to as you age and this video managed to nail the "mature baker vibe" on the head.

Very much enjoyed it. 31 years old.

Oh and that nollie bs flip down the nine was fucking sick.  That's what I want to see, something that actually looks good.

The only downside for me is how uncomfortable Beagle's skating looks.  I want to enjoy it but can't.
[close]

I don't need to see hijinx anymore but I'd also appreciate it not blatantly jacking the Supreme video's style.  Some people are into it. I'm not. I'm into Baker.

Like what the fuck happened to Beagle? Did he even film this shit? When I see other clips filmed by him recently they still look like clips filmed by Beagle.  This video doesn't though, at all.

Felix Soto filmed a fair chunk of it, it seems. He's on Baker's payroll. He is the one that tries to emulate Strobeck's style as highlighted in the Bryan Herman clip a few pages back. Lannie Rhoades would've filmed all of Riley's & Figgy's stuff. The best filmed part in this is Rowan's footage, and that was filmed mostly by Logan Lara. Daniel Wheatley I'm assuming filmed a chunk of Spanky's footage. Basically a mix of filmers along with Beagle.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #1803 on: November 25, 2019, 10:36:06 PM »
yeah, i'm just watching the parts individually as they find their way onto YT and having seen kader's first and being almost confused by how 'meh' it was (both in terms of skating and editing) i was completely prepared for the whole vid to be awful - especially given what people here are saying. however, i've now seen t-funk, sammy and figgy's parts and they were all very good (and i say that as someone who isn't really into any of those guys).

on the subject of hijinks, i feel like i must be the only person in the world who thought they were the worst part of baker 3. Skating was good enough to justify watching the video but the vast majority of the 'life style' b-roll was so fucking lame it made me want to turn off. it's just the same now with the 'life style' b-roll from big billy's videos. most pro skaters just really aren't very interesting off the board at all. the fact that skate videos are slowly sliding from a way of documenting skateboarding into a way of documenting skaters themselves is making that more and more painfully obvious. 

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #1804 on: November 25, 2019, 10:36:47 PM »
I thought the video was great. Yeah, some of the Strobek filming was annoying and we are all still trying to collectively figure out why Zach Allen is on Baker. Thought the music choices were great, and some people really delivered (Figgy, Rowan, T-Funk, and Baca are the first to come to mind). Thought it was weird there wasn't a single Greco clip considering how integral he was to the brand and the fact all of the PD's were in it and pretty much all old-school Baker (Lenoce and Ellington), even if it was just a clip of Ali. Dollin came through.

Sort of wish they managed to put in a friend/Deathwish section like the Deathwish video had.

You can't really judge current full-lengths to ones of the past. Solo parts have changed how things are viewed. It's going to be almost impossible for any full-length to have parts as impactful as Verso or Milton's part. Whereas when Baker 3 came out, multiple parts were mind-blowing. Just look at Quartersnacks list of best video parts of the decade. Pretty much half of them are online solo parts, with 2 of the top 5 being from Full-lengths (one of which was filmed at the very begining of the decade).

COMMUNITYPACK

• Rep: 51
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1805 on: November 25, 2019, 10:39:18 PM »
10 Baker 4 questions posed by someone who hasn't paid all that much attention to Baker since Baker2G:

1. Did anyone know Spanky would have the best part?

2. What the hell happened to Theotis?

3. Was Figgy always 40 years old?

4. When exactly did he become mid-to-latter career Nicholas Cage?

5. Did he watch Mandy and just go, "Yeah, that."

6. Does Dollin remember any of his tricks the next day?

7. Is this the most pressure flips ever in a Baker video? Or, in fact, in any major video since the #mid90s?

8. Is Rowan the best thing about Baker, and if he is, which he is, is he the cutest freckled ripper ever to rip?

9. Was anyone else unaware that Herman had a sludge/drone metal phase?

10. What in the holy christ was Brad Hayes wearing?

conqueso

« Reply #1806 on: November 25, 2019, 10:50:08 PM »
 Antione Dodson cameo was tight

stone cold steve austin

• Rep: -84
« Reply #1807 on: November 25, 2019, 11:37:27 PM »
it's good to see new footage but it needed that hijinx intro to make it have baker feel

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #1808 on: November 26, 2019, 12:05:46 AM »
Damn anyone else surprised by Figgy's kickflip late front shuv over the fence?  Not a trick I would have expected from him.  And is that the same fence Provost skated in his part?  It looks similar but way smaller... could be the angle though.  I'm too lazy to look at the Toy video to double check.

Oh shit I forgot to mention his fs salad down that handrail at the end.  That shit was unexpected as well but that shit was sweet.  Kind of sad that this is last part in a Baker video though...  Solid part but this shit was mediocre.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 12:13:25 AM by Woos »

Mount St. Hermdog

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1809 on: November 26, 2019, 12:27:53 AM »
Rowan is a hero for the 'getting junk food tonight' line

KRKD1

« Reply #1810 on: November 26, 2019, 12:46:57 AM »
10 Baker 4 questions posed by someone who hasn't paid all that much attention to Baker since Baker2G:

1. Did anyone know Spanky would have the best part? Spankys been on one sense the burn accident. It's like that shit literraly set a fire in him.

he did the dew$$$

6. Does Dollin remember any of his tricks the next day? No, between the bears and splattering his brain at sunset he exists in the moment or not at all .

7. Is this the most pressure flips ever in a Baker video? Or, in fact, in any major video since the #mid90s? Technically every video nate Sherwood has ever appeared in has the most pressure flips by default.

I got you on a few mate.

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
« Reply #1811 on: November 26, 2019, 12:55:55 AM »
Watched it today with some buddies.  I enjoyed it, but ya fuck the Strobeck style filming.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1812 on: November 26, 2019, 01:22:58 AM »

1. Did anyone know Spanky would have the best part?
Yes it was rumored he might have last part. It was definitely known that he was putting in work.

He got a lot of tacos and he doesn't seem to leave his backyard much.

3. Was Figgy always 40 years old?
I think so. He looked exactly like that in Bake and Destroy so he's looked like that for at least 7 or so years.

4. When exactly did he become mid-to-latter career Nicholas Cage?

5. Did he watch Mandy and just go, "Yeah, that."

6. Does Dollin remember any of his tricks the next day?
That's what filmers are for.

7. Is this the most pressure flips ever in a Baker video? Or, in fact, in any major video since the #mid90s?
Yeah probably. I think I've seen a couple more this year in other things so I guess trendwatch.

8. Is Rowan the best thing about Baker, and if he is, which he is, is he the cutest freckled ripper ever to rip?
He hangs out with dirtbags and keeps it so clean. It's very impressive.

Another term for that type of music is Desert Rock. It's the music of his people.

10. What in the holy christ was Brad Hayes wearing?
Some ill shit.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

excitableboy

• Rep: 92
« Reply #1813 on: November 26, 2019, 01:28:43 AM »
Spanky looks better on the board than ever. I was really impressed. Jacopo a little shorter than id hoped but quality footage. DD always been a fan. I dont think anyone rivals him for the mileage he's gotten out of a very limited skillset. Speaking of limited, Zach Allen was better than expected. Had pretty low expectations though after everything I read about him on here. Judging from the end of his part, he seems to sort of agree with the criticism. Does make you feel for the kid. Should've been in an am montage at best, as a part it's a bit of a sore thumb. Kader made that nollie bs flip look very stylish which is more than I can say for much of his other footage. Pretty generic looking but I could be missing something. Growspurts could change a lot for him. Was never into what Figgy does but he is very good at it. Always seemed like any old rail chomper, but in a crusty disguise. As if a bunch of others couldve been him, if they had picked up guitar in a jam band. I dunno. He obviously rips and puts his body on the line, to be fair. Would have preferred Baca or Rowan to end it though. Unique styles and trick bags. Baca makes me want to start a family and dress like a convict.

Tldr: best Spanky part yet. I imagine the hub link has been shared? Hmu if you haven't seen it yet.

excitableboy

« Reply #1814 on: November 26, 2019, 01:44:32 AM »
Apologies for the double post but forgot to mention T-Funk was brilliant in this. And Theotis is indeed the worst. Black Brezinski in a Bentley. Could not care less.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #1815 on: November 26, 2019, 01:54:21 AM »
Spanky looks better on the board than ever. I was really impressed. Jacopo a little shorter than id hoped but quality footage. DD always been a fan. I dont think anyone rivals him for the mileage he's gotten out of a very limited skillset. Speaking of limited, Zach Allen was better than expected. Had pretty low expectations though after everything I read about him on here. Judging from the end of his part, he seems to sort of agree with the criticism. Does make you feel for the kid. Should've been in an am montage at best, as a part it's a bit of a sore thumb. Kader made that nollie bs flip look very stylish which is more than I can say for much of his other footage. Pretty generic looking but I could be missing something. Growspurts could change a lot for him. Was never into what Figgy does but he is very good at it. Always seemed like any old rail chomper, but in a crusty disguise. As if a bunch of others couldve been him, if they had picked up guitar in a jam band. I dunno. He obviously rips and puts his body on the line, to be fair. Would have preferred Baca or Rowan to end it though. Unique styles and trick bags. Baca makes me want to start a family and dress like a convict.

Tldr: best Spanky part yet. I imagine the hub link has been shared? Hmu if you haven't seen it yet.
I think because of Dollin's reputation of being a complete pile that people actually sleep on his technical ability. Pretty sure he's the first person to kickflip front-blunt a rail back in the Sight Unseen days and was one of the earlier guys to be flipping into hand-rail tricks at sizable spots. He's never going to be Koston or Daewon with tech ledge tricks and manuals, but he could flip into a lot of rail tricks when it wasn't that common and has a decent bag of tricks he can take down big sets. I've never really thought of him as limited unless you are talking compared to guys like Koston, Daewon, and Carroll, but almost all pro-skaters from that era are limited compared to guys like that.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #1816 on: November 26, 2019, 02:10:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Another term for that type of music is Desert Rock. It's the music of his people.
[close]

Wrong buddy.

Sludge/drone is not Desert Rock.

excitableboy

« Reply #1817 on: November 26, 2019, 02:14:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I think because of Dollin's reputation of being a complete pile that people actually sleep on his technical ability. Pretty sure he's the first person to kickflip front-blunt a rail back in the Sight Unseen days and was one of the earlier guys to be flipping into hand-rail tricks at sizable spots. He's never going to be Koston or Daewon with tech ledge tricks and manuals, but he could flip into a lot of rail tricks when it wasn't that common and has a decent bag of tricks he can take down big sets. I've never really thought of him as limited unless you are talking compared to guys like Koston, Daewon, and Carroll, but almost all pro-skaters from that era are limited compared to guys like that.

Fair point, Dollin did push the boundaries and got pretty tech on rails. What I meant was more that, when Dollin tries to kickflip blunt, he seems to just do it by virtue of gung ho. Like he might not ever have practiced it even. Of course thats not exactly true but his ratio of practice/career length is probably pretty impressive.

hateboard

• Rep: -277
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1818 on: November 26, 2019, 02:24:17 AM »
Dollin is a legend, no doubt, he was one of the first to kickflip krook a legit handrail and one of the pioneers of flipping into everything that is now the benchmark. He deserves a lifetime pass, and to top it all off, in his later years he has probably turned more people off being a booze hound than he put onto it during the warner ave years.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1819 on: November 26, 2019, 02:56:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Wrong buddy.

Sludge/drone is not Desert Rock.
If you wanna be pedantic about it maybe they're cousins but I've heard people call Sleep desert rock and that's about sludge/drone as you can get.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
« Reply #1820 on: November 26, 2019, 03:05:11 AM »
And Theotis is indeed the worst. Black Brezinski in a Bentley.

the accuracy…

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1821 on: November 26, 2019, 03:12:34 AM »
Who TF was the guy in the ending?

Brad Hayes. The Godfather of everything Baker. 

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -333
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1822 on: November 26, 2019, 03:53:19 AM »
Any pals have a link to the full video?
Dueces Bitch's

ooleytah

• Rep: -22
« Reply #1823 on: November 26, 2019, 04:00:20 AM »
Petition for Andrew Reynolds to publicly apologise for Baker4
http://chng.it/sdkNDgyj22

Ocelot

« Reply #1824 on: November 26, 2019, 05:31:24 AM »
dustin skating to alex cameron was amazing

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #1825 on: November 26, 2019, 05:55:42 AM »
hahaha, you kook.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1826 on: November 26, 2019, 06:06:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
hahaha, you kook.
Even if I didn’t like it, Drew has nothing to apologize for. I did zero work into making Baker cool so entitlement is silly. Maybe Star Wars fandom is more your speed if petitions are your thing.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #1827 on: November 26, 2019, 06:11:47 AM »
i tried to stay away from this thread as much as i could before watching.  i'm glad i did. i liked the video.  not perfect or game changing, but overall it was a pretty good.  i would be stoked if it was on at a bar.  what i'm left wondering is how long until T-Funk and Jacopo move teams?
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #1828 on: November 26, 2019, 06:22:31 AM »
I thought it was great.

It's great to see old dudes still going.

I never liked Dollin, but his part was really solid, I was honestly shocked by what he's capable of doing while continuing to be a total wreck.

Baca's part was super good and I could watch him play radio dj in the car regularly. There should be like a weekly 10 min clip... "Sammy's Jams of the Week" or something like that put out by thrasher.

Herman and Figgy had great parts.

Spanky's part was strong.

When I first started watching it, I thought "Well, I guess Kader put all his good footage in Candyland", but then the second half started... I don't understand why everyone is hating on him, his part was sick, and he's still a little kid. I think Reynolds has put him on the right track, so he definitely has the potential to be great.

There was 2 moments when Reynolds did a fake-out frontside flip, it looked like he was setting up for one, but then did something else. I thought that was something great for the skate nerds.

It was a dope vid. The whole crew was there, everyone was having fun, felt good.

You guys know that Baker 3 came out almost 15 years ago, right? In 15 years a lot of things change. It's ok.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #1829 on: November 26, 2019, 06:24:32 AM »
Certifried Prowan was better.