Author Topic: Sunglasses  (Read 2843 times)

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Sunglasses
« on: May 02, 2019, 09:13:18 PM »
What are the best and/or cheapest ones?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 11:18:19 PM by Nosferatu »
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

SadandLonely

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -30
Re: Sunglasses
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 09:14:30 PM »
Glassy?

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 09:33:26 PM »
those are kinda mutually exclusive

the one pair of sunglasses that lasted me the longest were some $14 black clubmaster vans
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

talklessSkateMore

• Rep: -40
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 01:06:43 AM »
I was on an oakley trip a few years ago. They seem to be the Bones of eyewear.. It's a pretty serious topic

I realised I looked pretty stupid wearing any of them and ended up getting rid of them

Squint life is the life for me
it said to learn how to tie for a reason.
This is all structured as a trap.
Tied by those who know the fundamentals.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 01:53:27 AM »
You can get some decent cheap Happy hour shades.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 03:14:55 AM »
Not the cheapest, but my favorite sunglasses are Polaroid, no doubt about it.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 812
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 05:17:53 AM »
i have some emerica wayfarer ripoffs i got for free at a contest, they're kinda shitty but they were free so i don't care

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 443
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 06:12:39 AM »
Hit home depot or lowes and grab some polarized shaded safety glasses. They'll last a long time and you'll look fast as fuck!
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 07:15:29 AM »
Happy Hour!

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 31
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 09:09:54 AM »
Usually I get Vans ones, they look nice and price is decent.  8)
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

PincherBug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 12:57:00 PM »
Von Zippers have been my go to for the past 10 years or so.  The pair I have right now I've had since 2015, they last a long time if you take care of them.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 01:28:52 PM »
bad for depth perception, just remember that.

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 03:17:35 PM »
Currently got a  10$ walmart pair. I constantly break/lose sunglasses so I stick with the cheap shit

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 04:30:50 PM »
I have had good luck with this brand:

https://www.styleeyes.com/

Also, does anyone skateboard in shades? My one friend says sun glare is so bad for him that he has to. I tried it once on a cold winter day to cut down on wind in my eyes but I felt like I was watching myself skateboard.

I think Chima was the first street skater that had decent footage in shades.

reverbtank

• Rep: 3
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2019, 06:36:55 PM »
If you dig Oakley Frogskin shapes and other Oakley frames, DANG Shades sells basically the same frames in rad colors with polarized lenses for like $29.99-$34.99. They're sick. I love Frogskins and when I compare the Dangs and the real thing the Dangs are basically 98% the same.

mongopushingmallgraber

• Rep: 31
    • Voicemail avatar image
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2019, 07:32:33 PM »

Also, does anyone skateboard in shades? My one friend says sun glare is so bad for him that he has to. I tried it once on a cold winter day to cut down on wind in my eyes but I felt like I was watching myself skateboard.

Reynolds Frontside flipped that 13 star in Sf in a line in Baker 2G with shades on. 

OG Puffy Tongue

• Rep: 11
  • "Reynolds eats fruits"
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2019, 09:07:32 PM »
I usually just rock a pair of Oakley frogskins.
I used to work there and learned a shit ton about glasses and how durable they make some of the glasses over at oakley. If you're tryna skate in them, i would just put out the extra money for frogskins because the lenses are shatterproof (we used to smash the lenses with our fists to demonstrate to customers) and if you sit on your frogskins, the stems are snap-in so they don't break, just my two cents doe

MC3

• Rep: 142
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2019, 09:12:51 PM »
I have a nice pair of Ray Bans i was given as a gift for graduation but I never skate in them

I was thinking about going full Ron Asheton a while back with these cheap burners
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNGLASSES-AVIATOR-MEN-WOMEN-TINT-COLOR-LENS-FRAME-COLOR-RETRO-1980/253866964014?var=553162033800&hash=item3b1ba6742e:g:Db8AAOSwfLpbmusV:sc:USPSPriority!53545!US!-1

(Cool Trick GIF)

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2019, 09:51:38 PM »
Shady Rays.

FROTHY

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2019, 09:56:32 PM »
Peter Hewitt makes everything look great.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2019, 02:15:14 AM »
i have some emerica wayfarer ripoffs i got for free at a contest, they're kinda shitty but they were free so i don't care
I am having shitloads of those from different brands too, like when I found out they cost like 90c to produce I asked my homie who has a company to sent me a dozen :D  Never bothered to get proper ones because:
I constantly break/lose sunglasses so I stick with the cheap shit
edit. And I also live in a country where we get sunlight like 50days in a year...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 03:13:55 AM by Krooked antihero »
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1432
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2019, 02:27:41 AM »
got some made in the 80s rayban wayfarers second hand for fifty bucks a few years ago in the classic blues brothers tortoise style. they are more sturdy than the new ones, a bit bigger and the glasses have a harsher angle that makes it seem as if you look down on people. back then they didn't do the rayban logo on the side, you had to check serial numbers and the lenses for the rb etching.

this thing holds up so well. i just carry it around in my pockets. the lenses are still as good as new and i have yet to manage to make a permament scratch, which is surprising considered how often they fell to the floor and stuff. they are a little bit too big for my head tho, so i need to wear some kind of headwear or headband to fixate them properly. as far as i've heard that was already the smallest size they used to make at the time. 

as a backup or rather last resort i have a pair of uniqlo clubmaster style glasses.

cheap sunglasses suck and make your eyes hurt, because they don't actually block or filter light. get good ones and take care of them.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2019, 02:57:05 AM »
cheap sunglasses suck and make your eyes hurt, because they don't actually block or filter light. get good ones and take care of them.

Listen to this man’s advice. Truth.

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2019, 05:45:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Listen to this man’s advice. Truth.

Happy Hour was my choice for cheap sunglasses, but getting a good pair of prescription sunglasses with polarized lenses has changed my fucking life. I recommend to any of my bad-eyed brethren.

Jewlien Burford

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2019, 07:52:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Reynolds Frontside flipped that 13 star in Sf in a line in Baker 2G with shades on.

Herman

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2019, 09:25:31 AM »
Not the cheapest, but my favorite sunglasses are Polaroid, no doubt about it.

I'm going to look into some of these.  Thanks.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1365
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2019, 10:03:20 AM »
got some made in the 80s rayban wayfarers second hand for fifty bucks a few years ago in the classic blues brothers tortoise style. they are more sturdy than the new ones, a bit bigger and the glasses have a harsher angle that makes it seem as if you look down on people. back then they didn't do the rayban logo on the side, you had to check serial numbers and the lenses for the rb etching.

this thing holds up so well. i just carry it around in my pockets. the lenses are still as good as new and i have yet to manage to make a permament scratch, which is surprising considered how often they fell to the floor and stuff. they are a little bit too big for my head tho, so i need to wear some kind of headwear or headband to fixate them properly. as far as i've heard that was already the smallest size they used to make at the time. 

as a backup or rather last resort i have a pair of uniqlo clubmaster style glasses.

Pro tip from a four eyed person, you can wrap rubber bands on the stems towards the back behind your ear and your too big specs will stay put.

I had transtion lenses and they were great for being outside but they don't work at all in the car which is probably the time when I really need them most. Driving west into a setting sun is no joke. The transitions make you look a bit creepy for sure but I guess I just tried to lean into that. I think I'm gonna probably bite the bullet and do a two fer deal and get some prescription jobbies.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2019, 10:17:42 PM »
I bought these Oakley Frogskins in 2003. I've been sucker punched wearing them , my nose has been broken a few times but the glasses stayed in mint condition.
I cannot wear cheap sunglasses myself because I get motion sickness n I heard they give you cataracts? I don't know if that's true but I highly recommend Frogskins as well.
Shalom.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2019, 04:07:27 AM »
i dont wear them skating but i need them when i ride my motorbike - i should invest into some polarized ones cause im using some cheap wayfers i got for free
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • Get bent
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2019, 05:09:18 PM »

Herman....
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog