Author Topic: Twin tail  (Read 103989 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Twin tail
« Reply #960 on: December 02, 2022, 12:18:34 PM »

Almost three months later and I'm thinking about getting one.

Pros:
- I like the Flight construction
- I like the K20 concave
- I like twin tails

Neutral:
- I can, and do, skate a 14.5 wheelbase sometimes.  I do generally like shorter on street and longer in bowls.

Negs:
- I like a little shorter tail. I like 6.62 vs 6.8.
- Powell graphics are not good.  And by that, I mean "fucking horrible"
- most guys my age that "skate" && decks buy three so they can hang two on the wall and bail rock n rolls on the other.

I'll probably buy one in shame and not post it in the setup thread. Or ever mention it on here again.

I was recently back on a flight (8.5) really enjoyed it. The only thing keeping me of the && deck is that fucking WB...(I should get over myself tho, my limited pool of flip tricks are shit no matter what size the WB is...)

Thing is I have become used to shorter WB with longer kicks to offset the wheelbase; it's my stance that fucks me up, I apparently stand wide...so a 32"+ with short WB but longer tail I'm totally fine with, it's why those 8.25" Primitves work so well.

If this board was a 14.25" WB I bet it would be stellar for what I like.

I've gone through a number of the Quasi twins and it's almost perfect, if just a little short (again wide stance); the Foy twin is is really really good tho, just can't find then anywhere right now and I am down to my last one. The quasi and foy twin are damn near identical shape wise.

...or....buck up/suck it up and get back on the worrest/ishod deck again.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 12:39:44 PM by Xen »

scab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #961 on: December 02, 2022, 12:48:49 PM »
Expand Quote
^ Got to ride my no. III for the first time yesterday and had pretty much the same impression. Looks really hefty, but I like how it feels, especially because I don't land bolts often and the kicks seems to offer a little more real estate to eke out a make.

@Easy Slider you also have a IV on ice, right? I have a II waiting, so we've got a whole stack between the two of us. Let's report back if we find any major differences, ok? Gotta feed the madness.
[close]

I am on the IV now and tbh I could not tell a difference to the I. Concave might be slightly deeper but otherwise they‘re identical. What‘s funny is that I can do heelflips better on this shape as opposed to tapered kicks whereas I struggle more with kickflips …

Same goes for the II that I just set up. Feels exactly the same to me, but my bag of tricks is also not that deep, so I might just not be good enough to observe the difference.

I also struggled to get proper kickflips on this deck, but I blamed that on a lingering ankle injury. I'm having more success with a different positioning of my front foot, they work better if my foot almost touches the upper left bolt (goofy footed). That's probably just me though.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #962 on: December 02, 2022, 03:03:51 PM »

I was recently back on a flight (8.5) really enjoyed it. The only thing keeping me of the && deck is that fucking WB...(I should get over myself tho, my limited pool of flip tricks are shit no matter what size the WB is...)

Thing is I have become used to shorter WB with longer kicks to offset the wheelbase; it's my stance that fucks me up, I apparently stand wide...so a 32"+ with short WB but longer tail I'm totally fine with, it's why those 8.25" Primitves work so well.

If this board was a 14.25" WB I bet it would be stellar for what I like.

I've gone through a number of the Quasi twins and it's almost perfect, if just a little short (again wide stance); the Foy twin is is really really good tho, just can't find then anywhere right now and I am down to my last one. The quasi and foy twin are damn near identical shape wise.

...or....buck up/suck it up and get back on the worrest/ishod deck again.

I am on an 8.25 flight, shape 243 (14.25 wheelbase) that measures at 8.38, set up with Thunder Ti 149s.   I have no complaints about it and would probably get another if I could be sure it was also over-width.  I ordered up a 248 shape one and it came in at 8.18, which was really too narrow to use 149s on so it went back.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #963 on: December 02, 2022, 03:53:17 PM »
Mine is the 244; standard powell rear taper but was pleasantly surprised to see it come in at around 31.85 rather than the 32" listed

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #964 on: December 04, 2022, 04:49:52 PM »
Had to grab this silly bear 😆

I love Welcome’s “Evil Twin” 8.5 shape.

@OhioGuy

What's the kick like? More nose or more tail? Rounded or squareish (think AWS noses)?

OhioGuy

• Rep: 65
« Reply #965 on: December 09, 2022, 10:19:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

@OhioGuy

What's the kick like? More nose or more tail? Rounded or squareish (think AWS noses)?
Kinda square and the kick is more like a tail.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #966 on: December 09, 2022, 11:33:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

@OhioGuy

[close]

Thanks. Got one arriving today! I've ridden the AWS/HAB twin and it was very square (great) but just too long length-wise and a big wheel base.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #967 on: December 12, 2022, 05:10:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Had to grab this silly bear

[close]

@OhioGuy

[close]
[close]

Thanks. Got one arriving today! I've ridden the AWS/HAB twin and it was very square (great) but just too long length-wise and a big wheel base.

Been nursing an injury so I am just now getting around to unboxing the board. Pleasantly surprised to see it is a BBS board; I thought Welcome was still with PS.

It's definitely a 'full' shape, the width stays pretty consistent until after the (2) fingers of flat for either kick, they rounds off; it looks ever-so-slightly square but not like the AWS/HAB twin.

Kick and concave look/feel the same as my Foy TT. Tho the '8.5' Foy actually measure 8.3x whereas the Welcome is a true 8.5 (the Foy WB also measure 8.25 and it's also under 32" x deathwish specs are waaaay off on this one).

Foy                 |          Welcome

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #968 on: December 13, 2022, 03:56:44 AM »
What are the biggest dimensions on a twin that you know is in existence?

The can’t seem to find any wide and long with long wheelbases.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #969 on: December 13, 2022, 05:38:13 AM »

Heroin had the 9.75” symmetrical egg. That thing was huge. Only 14.25” wheelbase though. I had one and it was fun but eventually not my thing. Too short and too clunky. Not sure what Heroin has been doing lately but I think they’ve come up with some symmetrical eggs after that one also.

For longer ones I think the only one with a longer than 14.5” wheelbase is the Welcome 8.75”, which supposedly has a 14.75” wheelbase. I haven’t tried one myself so dunno how it is. I am interested in trying one but it’s a Welcome so that’ll likely never happen.

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 136
« Reply #970 on: December 13, 2022, 05:45:50 AM »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #971 on: December 13, 2022, 08:15:16 AM »

&& new twin is 8.7”x32.3” with a 14.5” WB, biggest I know of currently.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 11:00:25 AM by Xen »

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 33
« Reply #972 on: December 13, 2022, 08:27:15 AM »
There also was/is a symmetrical 10" heroin curb killer with a 14.5" wheelbase and the heroin razor egg which is 9.5" with 14.25" wheelbase. They seem to be available in some german online shops.

PisstickleTypeExperience

• Rep: -1
« Reply #973 on: December 13, 2022, 09:31:34 AM »

Welcome Evil Twin 8.75x32.45"

Best shape I've ever skated

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #974 on: December 13, 2022, 10:59:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That must’ve been early on with the first drop; I never saw the 875 and currently it’s nowhere to be found. Bummer sounds like a fun ride.

Creachteach

« Reply #975 on: December 14, 2022, 11:08:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Heroin had the 9.75” symmetrical egg. That thing was huge. Only 14.25” wheelbase though. I had one and it was fun but eventually not my thing. Too short and too clunky. Not sure what Heroin has been doing lately but I think they’ve come up with some symmetrical eggs after that one also.

For longer ones I think the only one with a longer than 14.5” wheelbase is the Welcome 8.75”, which supposedly has a 14.75” wheelbase. I haven’t tried one myself so dunno how it is. I am interested in trying one but it’s a Welcome so that’ll likely never happen.
Thanks, very good recommendations!
Yeah, I’m also very egg-curious, but they also seem to get rather short. Heroin has sick graphics, and they come wide enough, but if I get too cramped I’m not going to enjoy them.

The Welcome could be a potential winner here. Why don’t you like them?

Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks man!
Dimension seems okay on paper. What did you like the most about it?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #976 on: December 14, 2022, 12:30:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Yeah, I’m also very egg-curious, but they also seem to get rather short. Heroin has sick graphics, and they come wide enough, but if I get too cramped I’m not going to enjoy them.

Welcome are hard to come by here in Finland. I don’t know any shops selling them except “European Zumiez” Blue Tomato. Now that they’re BBS I would be more interested. They’re also more than expensive than most other decks. I had one PS Stix Nora board a while back and hated it. It was so flat and weird. Also not a big fan of the Welcome vibes or most of their graphics. And I seem to dislike almost anything else than DLX so I’ve been thinking is it even worth it to try anything else anymore.  :)

Basically a bunch of silly reasons. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with their decks. They’re just mostly probably not for me cuz I’m a bit silly.  :)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #977 on: December 14, 2022, 12:46:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Welcome are hard to come by here in Finland. I don’t know any shops selling them except “European Zumiez” Blue Tomato. Now that they’re BBS I would be more interested. They’re also more than expensive than most other decks. I had one PS Stix Nora board a while back and hated it. It was so flat and weird. Also not a big fan of the Welcome vibes or most of their graphics. And I seem to dislike almost anything else than DLX so I’ve been thinking is it even worth it to try anything else anymore.  :)

Basically a bunch of silly reasons. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with their decks. They’re just mostly probably not for me cuz I’m a bit silly.  :)

You're not alone in how you feel about them...PS...graphics are hit or miss (I can't hate on the poohbear hunny board tho ;)), shapes...if that's your thing...

Their Twin Tails tho, are a welcome (budum...tssssh) addition to the market, especially since they have a wide spectrum of sizes AND since it's a specialty 'shape', probably will remain in the lineup for a long time...and man, thankfully on BBS...it's harder and harder to get other twins outside of DLXs 8.3s...which outside of Worrest's drops, look like shittle.

Creachteach

« Reply #978 on: December 14, 2022, 01:47:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I see that price can be a deterrent. 90€ is a lot.  Aren’t many of them here in Denmark either.
I think some of their graphics are cool, but others make my toes wrinkle.
Titus has the smaller 8, 8.25 and 8.5 welcome decks.

My next board gotta be larger by some, compared to my current 8.6x32.11x14.625.

skateshaykh

• Rep: 0
« Reply #979 on: December 14, 2022, 06:08:14 PM »
Life Skateboards has a 10" twin football and a 9" big twin (and a couple of other twin options). Life is a company out of Muncie, IN. I don't think there is any connection to Ron Allen's old company called Life, but they make quality boards. I've ridden them and Degros did a review of them too.

Life Skateboards
https://www.lifeskateboard.com/welcome/shop

Degros review:

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #980 on: December 14, 2022, 08:47:52 PM »
Life Skateboards has a 10" twin football and a 9" big twin (and a couple of other twin options). Life is a company out of Muncie, IN. I don't think there is any connection to Ron Allen's old company called Life, but they make quality boards. I've ridden them and Degros did a review of them too.

Life Skateboards

Degros review:

$80 for a blank aint right
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Creachteach

« Reply #981 on: December 17, 2022, 01:24:14 PM »

Life Skateboards

Degros review:

Thanks man!
Damn that guy has some sick ass boards. The twins and footballs/eggs are still not more than 14.75” wb, but I gotta get some of their ridiculously big boats.

I think prices are absolutely fair. Custom boards pressed in the US starting at 80. Where I’m at Real Oval, AH Classic eagle pops, Creature Logo decks are are all 85$ or 600,- DKK.

BlindMonkey

• Rep: 0
    • Writin' avatar image
« Reply #982 on: December 17, 2022, 02:28:26 PM »

I've got to try riding one of these missiles eventually. Maybe it's all the time I've spent with ultra-greatswords in FromSoft games speaking to me.

Though it'll have to wait for a bit, I'm gonna try shifting down from 8.5 first, since I have doomed aspirations of techier riding.

Yes, I am in the grip of darkest gear madness.
It could be worse.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #983 on: December 17, 2022, 02:34:25 PM »
Took the Welcome 8.5" Evil twin out for a spin today (recovering from a minor ankle tweak still so very very low impact).

Setup thread x post https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=10804.msg3925803#msg3925803

Gripped, the kicks seemed a little short visually at first, that was fleeting and they became normal after 30min or so. It's very mellow and the kick shape is really sweet, it's full but not square (FA/AWS) and not pointy at all...it feels more like the squarer quasi proto or AWS tails, just bigger. I like it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 10:10:26 AM by Xen »

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #984 on: December 18, 2022, 01:39:13 AM »
Took the Welcome 8.5" twin out for a spin today (recovering from a minor ankle tweak still so very very low impact).

Setup thread x post https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=10804.msg3925803#msg3925803

Gripped, the kicks seemed a little short visually at first, that was fleeting and they became normal after 30min or so. It's very mellow and the kick shape is really sweet, it's full but not square (FA/AWS) and not pointy at all...it feels more like the squarer quasi proto or AWS tails, just bigger. I like it.

Thanks, do you have more specs on the deck?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #985 on: December 18, 2022, 10:13:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Took the Welcome 8.5" twin out for a spin today (recovering from a minor ankle tweak still so very very low impact).

[close]

8.5" x 31.95"

14.25" Wheelbase

6.75" Kicks

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #986 on: December 18, 2022, 01:07:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

8.5" x 31.95"

14.25" Wheelbase

6.75" Kicks

Sounds great, thanks.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Creachteach

« Reply #987 on: December 18, 2022, 01:32:19 PM »

Life Skateboards

Degros review:

Oh sjit, just now saw the Dino egg. That thing is redonc. Even though it’s not a twin, that board will be mine, oh yes.

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 33
« Reply #988 on: December 20, 2022, 01:30:01 AM »
For the experimental ones of you, I just saw that napalm customs has twin tails, when I was looking for the quantum bearings (they are the only importer of them to Europe known to me):
https://napalmcustom.com/?s=twin&post_type=product
Price is fairly high with 155 Euro. +4 Euro for 2 grips if I saw that right. They are all 5-plys maple + 2 carbon fiber layers and a polymer layers in nose and tail against razor tail.
If anybody tries them I would be interested how they feel and I wonder if their press is really symmetrical or if nose and tail have different steepness/fingers of flat. I never tried on of those high tech decks, let it be powel flight, VX or whatever Kape is/was doing. I have to go through a back log of 7 decks first.
I would love to see the 7.8" with venture lows and 50mm classics.

tl;dr:
Fancy finish made high tech carbon fiber twin tails in:
7.8" (!) (medium concave), 8.1" (medium and high) and 8.5" (shaped with "aggressive high" concave). All with 14" wb.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #989 on: December 20, 2022, 02:31:01 AM »
Many of my friends have skated Napalm Custom decks. One friend knows the dude who runs it. They are very light decks if you’re into that and very durable. I know they at least used to do decks according to your specs and requirements. Not sure what sort of molds the dude has but he’s some material scientist engineer nerd who started making his own boards cuz he didn’t like what was available as a bigger guy and that grew into a business. You could always contract him and ask more. From my understanding he likes to discuss board specs with people.

I’ve never had one personally as I kinda like the disposability of decks ( :-X :-X :-X) and rarely felt that I needed a lighter deck. Also not a fan of the graphics myself.