Author Topic: Twin tail  (Read 109265 times)

Chatbot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
Re: Twin tail
« Reply #510 on: November 10, 2021, 06:03:23 AM »
Just want to say the crob twin is probably the best deck I've skated in a long time. Stocked up on a few backups as they seem to be sold out at alot of places already.

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #511 on: November 10, 2021, 06:46:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Had the first long session on my new mini logo trucks today and they really are what I've been looking for in the last year or so.

Mini Logo 8.38 + Ishod 8.25 twin tail with roman numeral II

I could not handle the long WB+steepness with thunders or ace, but the ML make it great.

The "IV" with thunder tit 148 is still my favorite setup, but now I finally don't have to care anymore which number I'm getting.
Big recommendation.

I bought 3 pairs of trucks just for this damn deck and the search is now over.
Ace AF1 44 were way too heavy for me to even feel the shortened wheelbase.
Polster 8.5 titaniums are super light, but extend the wheelbase too much. Those go perfectly on the Crob Twin though.
[close]

I rode the 8.38 ML on my first Ishod TT (the peaches one), and I agree excellent combo.

Did you use risers?
[close]

ML's have saved many a deck that would be un-skatable for me due to long wheelbase or steep kicks. I just wish they would release a better looking truck (with cleaner casting) using the same geometry and low weight. Nice to see people being more open minded about trying different truck brands. Looking at you Royal.
[close]

Having setup a pair of the new Royals today, I'm with you. If ML made a taller truck (I despise risers, but should get over myself) I'd be good; they're light enough (can always shave more) and the casting is rough but they work as is you know? Grind clearance could be better.

Anyway, that DW Foy looks sick, 6.75 nose and Tail, that's right in the middle. That 14.5" wheelbase I can't hang with tho as my kick/heel flips be 100% worse than the trash they are now.
[close]

Deathwish website has the wheelbase at 14.375. I think the sticker on the deck with the dimensions said 14.5 WB. Probably why Tactics listed it like that.
[close]

Hmmm 14.3 WB is my shit, might have to wait for a forum user to confirm.

I have one. I did a rough measurement when I got it (skating it currently). Compared to both the dw85 (8.5x32 14.5wb) and the foy85 (8.5x31.75 14.25wb), it’s right in the middle. Barely longer than the Foy85 (my favorite shape), but shorter than the DW85. Wheelbase is also in between the two, so I’d say the 14.375wb is accurate.

The size stickers Deathwish puts on their boards are routinely incorrect. Both the Foy twin and the Foy85s I’ve gotten have had the DW85 dimensions sticker on them. You can’t trust that sticker at all.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #512 on: November 10, 2021, 10:23:45 AM »
Expand Quote
I just found a site that had three Neen 8.5 left, ordered them all so I am set for a while.  8)
[close]

Yeah!

At least you have boards.

So many people have wanted to order more of whatever they liked, but couldn't get hold of any, especially in limited shapes like that one.

Thanks bro. Here they are. Stoked I got three different top plys.

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Paperclip20

• Rep: 138
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #513 on: November 10, 2021, 01:50:49 PM »
The 8.5 exorcism board is 14.375 wheelbase.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #514 on: November 10, 2021, 02:08:03 PM »

Ch'Ching.

Is it 32" long or 31.875 as noted around the web?

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #515 on: November 10, 2021, 06:44:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ch'Ching.

opesorry

• Rep: 21
« Reply #516 on: November 10, 2021, 08:15:34 PM »
I think I finally came to the realization that I skate better off the nose of most boards I ride after being in denial about it for pretty much ever, what’s a good symmetrical shape that would be closer to that? Are most “twin tails” more of a middle ground than actually two tails? I skate 8” boards so maybe not a lot of options anyway.

It might be because I grew up skating my board the wrong direction because I didn’t know any better, but I’d rather find a symmetrical board than do that on purpose…

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #517 on: November 10, 2021, 08:54:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Ch'Ching.

[close]

Sweet perfection. Just ordered one.

Thanks for the legwork!

@Easy Slider

Did you happen to measure your 8.5" Neen decks? Curious if they are actually 8.5x32x14.5 seeing as the Foy posted dim are wrong around the web.

I think I finally came to the realization that I skate better off the nose of most boards I ride after being in denial about it for pretty much ever, what’s a good symmetrical shape that would be closer to that? Are most “twin tails” more of a middle ground than actually two tails? I skate 8” boards so maybe not a lot of options anyway.

It might be because I grew up skating my board the wrong direction because I didn’t know any better, but I’d rather find a symmetrical board than do that on purpose…

The Foy, Neen, AWS Owlien twin (and the habitat) are more nose than tail; it's really only the DLX that's a true Twin Tail these days (no idea about the welcome) - that one looks more hybrid to me.

I like being able to krook either way (it's easier off the nose).

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #518 on: November 10, 2021, 09:30:19 PM »

I would measure the length of the kicks (especially the nose) on whatever boards you have liked, as many standard boards are closer to a 6.8 to 7" nose with a 6.5" tail.

Twin tails are just that, often two tails, at 6.5 to 6.6" for many around the 8" size.  Twin noses are a bit longer, but there are not many, if any at all, in only 8" wide.

You could just ride normal boards that have a sideways graphic, eg Baker logo or Antihero eagle as two fairly recognisable graphics so it wouldn't be obvious you are riding the nose of the board.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #519 on: November 10, 2021, 09:39:44 PM »

This pic is big enough to show the specs on those stickers.

Ishod twin in 8.0 is only 6.55 in kick length, which is pretty much a normal tail by any other board.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #520 on: November 10, 2021, 11:46:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just found a site that had three Neen 8.5 left, ordered them all so I am set for a while.  8)
[close]

Yeah!

At least you have boards.

So many people have wanted to order more of whatever they liked, but couldn't get hold of any, especially in limited shapes like that one.

[close]

Thanks bro. Here they are. Stoked I got three different top plys.

triplets

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #521 on: November 11, 2021, 01:43:44 AM »

Triple the fun!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #522 on: November 11, 2021, 01:46:17 AM »
As XEN posted earlier

The one time Welcome did a popsicle was ages ago and seemingly sold out as soon as it hit shelves.

https://welcomeskateboards.com/collections/hardgoods/products/call-mary-on-labrys-hot-pink-8-5

8.5" x 31.95" with 14.25" Wheelbase

And then posted in the WBSWB thread:

A new challenger has entered the chat:

W/b is 14.25

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #523 on: November 11, 2021, 04:40:32 AM »

Dude check out my pics of the Neen bloards, those are twin noses. Try to find one but probably I snatched all of them up.
why come?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #524 on: November 11, 2021, 04:42:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Ch'Ching.

[close]

[close]

Sweet perfection. Just ordered one.

Thanks for the legwork!

@Easy Slider

Did you happen to measure your 8.5" Neen decks? Curious if they are actually 8.5x32x14.5 seeing as the Foy posted dim are wrong around the web.

Expand Quote

[close]

The Foy, Neen, AWS Owlien twin (and the habitat) are more nose than tail; it's really only the DLX that's a true Twin Tail these days (no idea about the welcome) - that one looks more hybrid to me.

I like being able to krook either way (it's easier off the nose).

I can measure them but I am European so I‘ll have to calculate…plus I never measured a bloard except for width so I am not sure how to do it properly.  I‘ll see what I can do.
why come?

opesorry

« Reply #525 on: November 11, 2021, 06:58:13 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I would measure the length of the kicks (especially the nose) on whatever boards you have liked, as many standard boards are closer to a 6.8 to 7" nose with a 6.5" tail.

Twin tails are just that, often two tails, at 6.5 to 6.6" for many around the 8" size.  Twin noses are a bit longer, but there are not many, if any at all, in only 8" wide.

You could just ride normal boards that have a sideways graphic, eg Baker logo or Antihero eagle as two fairly recognisable graphics so it wouldn't be obvious you are riding the nose of the board.

Good call, I'll have to measure. And yeah that's a great point, maybe no one would notice haha

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #526 on: November 11, 2021, 03:17:10 PM »

As most of the twins are coming out in at least 8.25 or more commonly 8.375 and some 8.5 there are not many options for a twin as only 8.0" as you asked for.

Keep looking though, as there might be some boards that fit the bill.

Quite a few shops like Tactics list the dimensions, including nose and tail lengths (even if they are often thought to be incorrect) but that should help a fair bit with finding boards that work for you.

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -163
« Reply #527 on: November 11, 2021, 03:31:47 PM »
Never understood why skateboards were designed with a nose and tail tbh. Whoever came up with that stupid idea anyway? Once you get used to skating a symmetrical deck it feels so shit going back to a regular deck with nose & tail.

Symmetrical is life…

opesorry

« Reply #528 on: November 11, 2021, 03:36:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

As most of the twins are coming out in at least 8.25 or more commonly 8.375 and some 8.5 there are not many options for a twin as only 8.0" as you asked for.

Keep looking though, as there might be some boards that fit the bill.

Quite a few shops like Tactics list the dimensions, including nose and tail lengths (even if they are often thought to be incorrect) but that should help a fair bit with finding boards that work for you.

I did notice that today on tactics actually, super helpful. Also surprised to see how short the tails of some boards I’ve skated really are in comparison so maybe just finding something with a bigger tail in general will help. Appreciate the help!

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #529 on: November 11, 2021, 03:58:00 PM »
Never understood why skateboards were designed with a nose and tail tbh. Whoever came up with that stupid idea anyway? Once you get used to skating a symmetrical deck it feels so shit going back to a regular deck with nose & tail.

Symmetrical is life…

Paul Schmitt has said in multiple interviews that having different noses and tails allow you to have the equivalent of two blades in your pocketknife.  Sometimes a trick may be easier off one end of the board vs the other.   I have notice that I can land a few certain tricks more regularly skating my directional board backwards.

That said, I still dig twin tails - especially on mini ramps. I hate skating a mini with my board backwards and on a regular board will always try to do two shove tricks in a row to get it back as quick as possible.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 138
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #530 on: November 12, 2021, 05:44:40 AM »
Expand Quote

Symmetrical is life…
[close]

Paul Schmitt has said in multiple interviews that having different noses and tails allow you to have the equivalent of two blades in your pocketknife.  Sometimes a trick may be easier off one end of the board vs the other.   I have notice that I can land a few certain tricks more regularly skating my directional board backwards.

That said, I still dig twin tails - especially on mini ramps. I hate skating a mini with my board backwards and on a regular board will always try to do two shove tricks in a row to get it back as quick as possible.

Nothing against you and Schmitt personally but I hate that viewpoint. If people started with twin tails I doubt that would be an arguement. There's differences yes but people just skate their board backwards when going switch anyway which doesn't seem logical. If the nose and tail were that important you wouldn't skate the board backwards going switch.

I get that there's differences. (I used to do hardflips off the nose when I ride normal boards) But it feels almost wasteful not having a twin tail because they last so much longer unless you skate tons of switch.

Dan Gerous

« Reply #531 on: November 12, 2021, 06:43:38 AM »
Even though I have a few Ishod/Worrest 8.25/8.3 Slick twin tails on ice, I just impulse bought the Foy 8.5 twin tail.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess I can justify it by telling myself I could set it with bigger/wider/squarer wheels for crustier spots, keep the DLX with smaller Spitfire Classics for smoother spots...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #532 on: November 12, 2021, 09:43:08 AM »
Even though I have a few Ishod/Worrest 8.25/8.3 Slick twin tails on ice, I just impulse bought the Foy 8.5 twin tail.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess I can justify it by telling myself I could set it with bigger/wider/squarer wheels for crustier spots, keep the DLX with smaller Spitfire Classics for smoother spots...

I'm sitting on two unskated Neen 8.25 twin (and been skating a pretty new 8.375 UMA)...but my Foy twin arrives tomorrow... been digging wider boards and longer WBs, but 32" boards make it clunky.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 10:21:51 AM by Xen »

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -163
« Reply #533 on: November 12, 2021, 10:00:34 AM »
Expand Quote

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[close]

I'm sitting on two unskated Neen 8.25 twin (and been skating a pretty new 8.375 UMA)...but my Foy twin arrives tomorrow... een digging wider boards and longer WBs, but 32" boards make it clunky.

Let us know how they skate pls dude

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #534 on: November 12, 2021, 10:48:22 AM »
Chems tool .375in adjustment on the tail will yield similar "twin tail/nose" effect. A typical 8.5 w/14.5 wb, will turn into 7"N/7.1ishT with 14.125wb. May have to add risers or bigger wheels to offset pop angle. Nose will still be steeper though.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #535 on: November 12, 2021, 01:10:14 PM »

@Easy Slider

Ok I measured but with a metric measure.

Wheelbase is 36.7 cm = 14.44 inch so 14.5 seems correct
Width 21.5 cm = 8.46 inch so 8.5 seems correct
Length 83 cm = 32.67 so it‘s a bit longer than 32

why come?

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #536 on: November 12, 2021, 01:34:14 PM »
I got to ride a prototype of the welcome twin and helped a bit with the dimensions.
Loved the feel, its a beaut.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #537 on: November 12, 2021, 04:52:33 PM »
Expand Quote

@Easy Slider

[close]

Was the length measured with the concave (usually longer) or straight across (usually shorter)?

I recall for boards of about 32 measured straight across, they come up about 32.5 measured with the concave.

Not doubting you either, just checking / wanting to clarify.

Thanks.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #538 on: November 13, 2021, 12:37:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

@Easy Slider

[close]

[close]

Was the length measured with the concave (usually longer) or straight across (usually shorter)?

I recall for boards of about 32 measured straight across, they come up about 32.5 measured with the concave.

Thanks.

Measured straight across. And no problem, I am a measuring novice so it‘s ok to double check  ;D
why come?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #539 on: November 13, 2021, 04:13:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

@Easy Slider

[close]

[close]

Thanks.
[close]

Measured straight across. And no problem, I am a measuring novice so it‘s ok to double check  ;D

Easy!

So it really is a LLLOOONNNGGG board.

Twin nose would definitely make it longer than twin tail, but I wasn't sure quite how much.

So was it pretty much right on 7" each kick?

You probably already mentioned earlier, but I had already started typing the message.