Author Topic: Twin tail  (Read 109216 times)

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 56
Re: Twin tail
« Reply #810 on: April 29, 2022, 08:21:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
God DAMMIT, Pals. I’ve had two Crob TTs on ice since they released and finally set one up today and H A T E it. Is this because its my first Crail deck in 20 years or is the shape/how flat it is just that bad? Is there a fuller shaped-steeper concave TT out there?
[close]

Just curious, do you think it's the shape or the concave? Two different variables. Our boards are a med-mellow too so curious to hear your thoughts
[close]

May I ask what differentiates your shapes from the Ishod twins? Specs seem to be the same

Full transparency, I've personally only ridden an 8.0 Ishod twin tail before we started the brand (things might have changed too), but we've done a lot of research and gathered a lot of feedback from skaters, so take it for what it's worth. In terms of head to head specs, I know that the Ishod kicks are a bit more square- almost a hybrid shape with pop angles of a tail.

Our tails are more of a full (round) versus a pin-tail or square shape, and we decided to make our boards a bit more on the standard --> dense side versus a featherlight. Decided to sacrifice a little bit of lightness for durability.

Hopefully this helps. And as my sig suggests, reach out if you guys are ever interested in trying out our board. We offer slap pals generous discounts on their first board :) No pressure ever obviously

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #811 on: April 29, 2022, 12:32:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
God DAMMIT, Pals. I’ve had two Crob TTs on ice since they released and finally set one up today and H A T E it. Is this because its my first Crail deck in 20 years or is the shape/how flat it is just that bad? Is there a fuller shaped-steeper concave TT out there?
[close]

Just curious, do you think it's the shape or the concave? Two different variables. Our boards are a med-mellow too so curious to hear your thoughts
[close]

May I ask what differentiates your shapes from the Ishod twins? Specs seem to be the same
[close]

Full transparency, I've personally only ridden an 8.0 Ishod twin tail before we started the brand (things might have changed too), but we've done a lot of research and gathered a lot of feedback from skaters, so take it for what it's worth. In terms of head to head specs, I know that the Ishod kicks are a bit more square- almost a hybrid shape with pop angles of a tail.

Our tails are more of a full (round) versus a pin-tail or square shape, and we decided to make our boards a bit more on the standard --> dense side versus a featherlight. Decided to sacrifice a little bit of lightness for durability.

Hopefully this helps. And as my sig suggests, reach out if you guys are ever interested in trying out our board. We offer slap pals generous discounts on their first board :) No pressure ever obviously

Thanks for the answer! I'd love to try one for sure since I only ride twins, but that's probably not going to work until you have some european distribution, which I hope you'll get in the future. Even a free deck wouldn't be worth the shipping from the states, it's stupid expensive.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #812 on: May 02, 2022, 01:05:22 AM »

With Jamie winning Tampa these will be flying out of the window so I finally pulled the trigger on one of each for scientific reasons.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 588
« Reply #813 on: May 06, 2022, 10:45:28 AM »
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #814 on: May 06, 2022, 11:15:46 AM »
Has someone mentioned the Quasi twin tails?
https://quasiskateboards.com/products/henry-mirror-8-375

https://quasiskateboards.com/products/henry-mirror-8-125

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=105756.msg3772495#msg3772495

Just two pages back my dude.

Doesn't seem like a lot of us picked them up tho. since all quasi measure shorter, this one would be too short for my tastes...bummer too as it would be nice to have an 8.3x twin that isn't a slick.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #815 on: May 07, 2022, 05:48:10 AM »
The Foys are here. For your benefit I confirm that the shapes are identical. I laid them next to my last Neen which I have been riding for a while. The Foy is considerably shorter and has a shorter wheelbase. The concave on the Foys is deeper so I am scared that I will lose all my flips. We‘ll have to see.

why come?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #816 on: May 07, 2022, 10:51:27 AM »
Nice!

Did you measure them against the sticker dims? My Foys ran smaller all around (but WB was longer).

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #817 on: May 07, 2022, 11:04:04 AM »
Nice!

Did you measure them against the sticker dims? My Foys ran smaller all around (but WB was longer).

No but I‘ll do it.
why come?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #818 on: May 07, 2022, 11:10:51 AM »
Those Foy’s look really nice. Feels odd to write. I’m also interested in the actual measurements. They look significantly shorter than the neen

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #819 on: May 07, 2022, 12:02:22 PM »
Those Foy’s look really nice. Feels odd to write. I’m also interested in the actual measurements. They look significantly shorter than the neen

Damn, I just looked at the pic again, you're right.

Who to trust...DW website or DW stickers :\
https://www.deathwishskateboards.com/products/foy-gator-deck-8-5

Seriously, how fucking hard is it? If NHS/Dwindle/Crail (yeah, China) can list and make) correct dims, why can't the rest...

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #820 on: May 07, 2022, 06:30:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Seriously, how fucking hard is it? If NHS/Dwindle/Crail (yeah, China) can list and make) correct dims, why can't the rest...

You are correct.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #821 on: May 08, 2022, 12:52:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I agree that it really shouldn’t be that difficult. They’re essential measurements and to get the wrong so consistently should be unforgivable. Sadly most skaters don’t care.

Crail doesn’t always get it right either. For example this GO39 here doesn’t really add up:

GO39:
8.5” x 31.75”
Wheelbase: 14.75”
Nose: 9.9375”
Tail: 6.7375”

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #822 on: May 08, 2022, 09:10:06 AM »
OK so I measured the Foys.

I am European so I got metric measures but translated them to imperial - it appears that the sticker is not far from the truth:

Width = 21.5 cm = 8.46"
Length = 81 cm = 31.9"
WB = 36.25 cm = 14.27"

In comparison the Neen:

Width = 21.5 cm = 8.46"
Length = 83.1 cm = 32.7"
WB = 36.8 cm = 14.5"
why come?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #823 on: May 08, 2022, 10:42:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I agree that it really shouldn’t be that difficult. They’re essential measurements and to get the wrong so consistently should be unforgivable. Sadly most skaters don’t care.

Crail doesn’t always get it right either. For example this GO39 here doesn’t really add up:

GO39:
8.5” x 31.75”

I wouldn't trust social media monkeys to get anything correct. Use the crail shape guide; everything I've ridden matches up to what they have listed here:

https://crailtap.com/shapes/#g039 - still...9.9 is crazy

Stats:
Width:8.5″Length:31.75″Wheelbase:14.25″Nose:9.9375″Tail:6.7375

I am European so I got metric measures but translated them to imperial - it appears that the sticker is not far from the truth:

Width = 21.5 cm = 8.46"
Length = 81 cm = 31.9"
WB = 36.25 cm = 14.27"

In comparison the Neen:

Width = 21.5 cm = 8.46"
Length = 83.1 cm = 32.7"
WB = 36.8 cm = 14.5"

Man, 31.9 =/= 32.7 -  that's a pretty big disparity.

Foy dims seem pretty spot on to what I've been riding, tho my WB measured closer to 14.3, give or take, everything else just a hair under the actual measurements. Too much rounding up.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 12:19:07 PM by Xen »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #824 on: May 08, 2022, 11:31:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

GO39:
8.5” x 31.75”

[close]

I wouldn't trust social media monkeys to get anything correct. Use the crail shape guide; everything I've ridden matches up to what they have listed here:

https://crailtap.com/shapes/#g039

Stats:

I have never seen that shape IRL myself but I doubt it has an almost 10” nose. Might be among the biggest ones ever. I really like the Crail shape guide but I have my doubts here. Not that it really matters to me as I’m not riding Crail stuff anyway.

Anyway, it’s not a twin tail so no reason to derail this thread any more.

I have three twins I plan on skating this summer once I heal up. Maybe I’ll post some more relevant content to this topic once that happens.  :)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #825 on: May 08, 2022, 11:47:49 AM »

Width = 21.5 cm = 8.46"
Length = 81 cm = 31.9"
WB = 36.25 cm = 14.27"

In comparison the Neen:

Width = 21.5 cm = 8.46"
Length = 83.1 cm = 32.7"
WB = 36.8 cm = 14.5"

Thank you!

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #826 on: May 08, 2022, 11:49:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

GO39:
8.5” x 31.75”

[close]

Stats:
[close]

I have never seen that shape IRL myself but I doubt it has an almost 10” nose. Might be among the biggest ones ever. I really like the Crail shape guide but I have my doubts here. Not that it really matters to me as I’m not riding Crail stuff anyway.

I have three twins I plan on skating this summer once I heal up. Maybe I’ll post some more relevant content to this topic once that happens.  :)

Sorry to derail, I’m almost positive that the nose is 6.9+, and the wb is 14.25. So they too have a misprint. Imo the crail guide is still the best

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #827 on: May 08, 2022, 12:21:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

GO39:
8.5” x 31.75”

[close]

Stats:
[close]

[close]

Sorry to derail, I’m almost positive that the nose is 6.9+, and the wb is 14.25. So they too have a misprint. Imo the crail guide is still the best

6.9" makes the most sense. No one is perfect but we all know the companies lurk here and should take a bit more pride in being accurate. Especially when they post this stuff as public facing information.

You may say well only a small niche audience cares...well that small niche audience is also the most vocal (I deal with 'passionate' users in my industry and they are not to be discounted; a lost sale is a lost sale.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #828 on: May 08, 2022, 12:31:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

GO39:
8.5” x 31.75”

[close]

Stats:
[close]

[close]

[close]

6.9" makes the most sense. No one is perfect but we all know the companies lurk here and should take a bit more pride in being accurate. Especially when they post this stuff as public facing information.

You may say well only a small niche audience cares...well that small niche audience is also the most vocal (I deal with 'passionate' users in my industry and they are not to be discounted; a lost sale is a lost sale.

Agree. Also, might as well do it correctly. Skating, as ‘industry’ has definitely gotten away with some nonsense, like forever. And when it crashes and is being made out of garages, again,  I won’t mind.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #829 on: May 10, 2022, 01:33:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ive always wanted to skate a twin tail with bigger "Tails" like not quite a twin nose but just more space to flick off of, i didn't even know mark had a twin tail. Does the suciu twin tail have larger "Tails" than the Ishod/crob decks? if they are i might have to try it out
[close]
I can't really say about the AWS/Habitat shape (Suciu/Spears), but the Crob/Malto twin I ride currently is a pretty perfect nose/tail hybrid in my opinion.
[close]

Thanks for this, might have to pick up a Foy or try try out the chocolate twins
[close]

The Suciu are BIG ASS NOSE kicks without a doubt...switching back to the foy was like night and day, the Foy being much stubbier in comparison.

I tried to setup the suciu again and give it another shot, it's just....weird feeling to me due to it's over all, and kick, length.
[close]

I know some people shape down their boards a bit, so was wondering if this would be an option on the AWS / Habitat deck, but every time I think about it, I don't really feel motivated to try, even though I will happily modify other aspects of skateboards from time to time.

[close]

If I could, I most certainly would; I'd drop both kicks down enough to bring the deck length from 32.25" to 31.88" - basically matching up with the Foy but squared tips and steep!

I couldn't resist the 8.3 twin since I dig the 8.5 Foy so much, but want something just a bit trimmer all around that isn't a slick. Dims are dead on.

Now...which trucks...I have too many trucks...about 1 finger of flat, medium kicks

« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 06:44:59 PM by Xen »

Dan Gerous

« Reply #830 on: May 11, 2022, 11:44:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ive always wanted to skate a twin tail with bigger "Tails" like not quite a twin nose but just more space to flick off of, i didn't even know mark had a twin tail. Does the suciu twin tail have larger "Tails" than the Ishod/crob decks? if they are i might have to try it out
[close]
I can't really say about the AWS/Habitat shape (Suciu/Spears), but the Crob/Malto twin I ride currently is a pretty perfect nose/tail hybrid in my opinion.
[close]

[close]

The Suciu are BIG ASS NOSE kicks without a doubt...switching back to the foy was like night and day, the Foy being much stubbier in comparison.

I tried to setup the suciu again and give it another shot, it's just....weird feeling to me due to it's over all, and kick, length.
[close]

I know some people shape down their boards a bit, so was wondering if this would be an option on the AWS / Habitat deck, but every time I think about it, I don't really feel motivated to try, even though I will happily modify other aspects of skateboards from time to time.

[close]

If I could, I most certainly would; I'd drop both kicks down enough to bring the deck length from 32.25" to 31.88" - basically matching up with the Foy but squared tips and steep!
[close]

I couldn't resist the 8.3 twin since I dig the 8.5 Foy so much, but want something just a bit trimmer all around that isn't a slick. Dims are dead on.

Now...which trucks...I have too many trucks...about 1 finger of flat, medium kicks

I'll use Thunders on mine... but then again, I use Thunders on everything! ;D

I wish I could share how that combo works for me but I have not set it up yet, I currently have both a Worrest and a Foy setup with some life left... and it might be a while before I wear these out, I hurt my back last week and probably wont skate again for a while. :(

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #831 on: May 11, 2022, 11:49:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I wish I could share how that combo works for me but I have not set it up yet, I currently have both a Worrest and a Foy setup with some life left... and it may be a while before I wear these out, I hurt my back last week and it might be a while before I can skate again. :(

Been on the Foy with 149 Royals, it still has life, feels really fun but I've never been able to shake the 'it feels too big' vibe...same when I skate the Neen (or any) 8.25" twin. I just prefer 8.3s, have forever but as noted the dlx 8.3 and me don't vibe well.

Very tempted to throw on Thunders due to the shorter WB the quasi has but Royals just feel (and sound) too good.

Dan Gerous

« Reply #832 on: May 11, 2022, 12:23:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I wish I could share how that combo works for me but I have not set it up yet, I currently have both a Worrest and a Foy setup with some life left... and it may be a while before I wear these out, I hurt my back last week and it might be a while before I can skate again. :(
[close]

Been on the Foy with 149 Royals, it still has life, feels really fun but I've never been able to shake the 'it feels too big' vibe...same when I skate the Neen (or any) 8.25" twin. I just prefer 8.3s, have forever but as noted the dlx 8.3 and me don't vibe well.

Very tempted to throw on Thunders due to the shorter WB the quasi has but Royals just feel (and sound) too good.

I know Justin Henry skates that shape with Indy's, similar WB compared to the new Royals I think? Much taller and he also rides big wheels but it looks like it works well for him. Obviously it doesn't mean that's true for you and others but, might be worth a try if you already have the trucks.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #833 on: May 16, 2022, 08:41:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I know Justin Henry skates that shape with Indy's, similar WB compared to the new Royals I think? Much taller and he also rides big wheels but it looks like it works well for him. Obviously it doesn't mean that's true for you and others but, might be worth a try if you already have the trucks.

Coming off the Foy the shape is perfect, just smaller all around as expected, including WB. Strong DLX TT vibe going on but the wood feels better to me (slick dull thud is gone) and the kicks have just a slightly better taper at the tip than either the foy or dlx.

Been running it with the Royals but going to give thunders a shot to pull that wheelbase out a bit and try out the NFG bushings.

One odd thing I can't figure out is I've got a 'rail rattle' but no rails. Every nut and bolt is secure (I even removed all play on the wheels to test) but it's there. Can't figure it out.

Also, it's BBS if anyone was needing that info
https://quasiskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/henry-mirror-8-375

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #834 on: May 16, 2022, 11:40:44 AM »
I thought about getting that Justin Henry board after picking up those ace lows…..to mellow out the steep kicks or the Ishod to lengthen the nose and tighten the wheel base up. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #835 on: May 16, 2022, 11:46:40 AM »
I thought about getting that Justin Henry board after picking up those ace lows…..to mellow out the steep kicks or the Ishod to lengthen the nose and tighten the wheel base up. 

It's definitely a 'small' feeling 8.3 (feels trimmer than the DLX), which is perfect since I can never decide between 8.25 (fulls) or trim 8.3s; it doesn't feel like a boat at all. Paired with the ACEs I bet you'd get that feeling you are looking for. As you know it depends on which board you get out of the press but mine is pretty medium all around.

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #836 on: May 17, 2022, 07:07:13 AM »
Strong DLX TT vibe going on but the wood feels better to me (slick dull thud is gone)

No way!  I hadn't put that particular 2+2 together.  I went from a normal R7 popsicle that had an amazingly crisp and clean sounding pop to a couple of DLX TT slicks that have a much more lifeless sound.  It's been driving me mental and you may have pinpointed the issue.

Definitely going to pull the trigger on the Quasi twin but I'm still waiting patiently for an R7 or Primitive twin (DLX I know, but the few Primitives I've had before have been really crispy).

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #837 on: May 17, 2022, 09:02:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Strong DLX TT vibe going on but the wood feels better to me (slick dull thud is gone)
[close]

No way!  I hadn't put that particular 2+2 together.  I went from a normal R7 popsicle that had an amazingly crisp and clean sounding pop to a couple of DLX TT slicks that have a much more lifeless sound.  It's been driving me mental and you may have pinpointed the issue.

Definitely going to pull the trigger on the Quasi twin but I'm still waiting patiently for an R7 or Primitive twin (DLX I know, but the few Primitives I've had before have been really crispy).

Coming off an R7 (love them) anything but a flight/VX/NHS/Dwindle board is going to feel dull and lifeless.

My last Santa Cruz slick was a tad heavier/duller than a regular board but still crispy sounding/feeling compared to the DLX slick. Just the materials I suppose.

Hoping Dwindle (my guess is under Madness) will do a twin, or enjoi with some stupid 'double dong' marketing vibe, as they do.

Maybe creature does a run or SC learns how to actually make twin kicks that match in shape.

Primitive twin would be sick, I love their shapes (you mean BBS?)

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #838 on: May 17, 2022, 02:56:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Coming off an R7 (love them) anything but a flight/VX/NHS/Dwindle board is going to feel dull and lifeless.

My last Santa Cruz slick was a tad heavier/duller than a regular board but still crispy sounding/feeling compared to the DLX slick. Just the materials I suppose.

Hoping Dwindle (my guess is under Madness) will do a twin, or enjoi with some stupid 'double dong' marketing vibe, as they do.

Maybe creature does a run or SC learns how to actually make twin kicks that match in shape.

Primitive twin would be sick, I love their shapes (you mean BBS?)

Haha, aye, I did mean to say BBS.

I think if Dwindle put out a twin in that fuller shape they've been putting out recently then that would be my go to.  I was reluctant to try a Chinese deck but eventually caved and ended up really liking it. 

The Quasi is arriving tomorrow, stoked to set it up.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #839 on: May 23, 2022, 09:26:40 AM »
Finally got around to setting up and skating my first twin tail. This Ishod slick. Here's my opinion after skating it for 3 days.
I've had this deck sitting in my stockpile for maybe 6 months. I usually have 1-3 backup decks at a time. I was thinking I might fall in love with the twin so much that I wouldn't want to skate anything else. So I went through all my other boards first before setting this up. And for the first time in a while, I have no backups. For reference, before this I've been on a steady diet of the DLX 8.38, 14.5 WB board. So the Ishod's measurements are fairly similar as far as width & WB.
The first thing I noticed when setting it up was how much smaller all around it felt. 8.3 as opposed to 8.38. You can feel that slightly skinnier board. My wheels (149 standard Indys, 52 F4 classic full) stick out a little more. And having a smaller "nose" gets less length. By the third day though, I've adjusted to the size.
I really like the slick. It slides great and I think it helped on some of the things I skated this weekend.
I like the twin aspect for a couple things. Shuv tricks and tre flips feel good with the equal balanced weight. But besides that, I'm not really a fan. My limited switch and nollie game is even worse with the smaller nose. I was also trying a noseslide to fakie nosegrind combo and it was really tough. I grabbed another board out of my quiver with a normal big nose and it was so much easier. So, I don't hate it enough where I'll be taking it off. But, this will be my one and only twin.