Author Topic: Twin tail  (Read 109268 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1042
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Twin tail
« Reply #1320 on: October 29, 2023, 01:28:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Missed the last Quasi twin in Switzerland and now the only 8.3 option in Europe available seems to be the Ishod/Worrest, which I am not fond of. Any word on the streets if any 8.3 twins are hitting the shops soon or do I need to make concessions, size up/down or even go back to regular decks?
[close]

New Habitat twins in 8.25 / 8.38 / 8.5 should be shipping out to shops in the next few weeks if you can handle 32.25" decks

Funny you say that, as other people had been asking about different sizes of twins not too long ago and I didn't really have anything new to add, besides what I had already seen and heard, eg DLX / Ishods twins, Deathwish or similar boards, etc.

If they are all the Alien / Habitat squared off shapes, then it opens up the market a bit too, so others who don't like the DLX twin shapes can have something different.

Longer boards, medium wheelbases, long kicks??

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #1321 on: October 29, 2023, 03:34:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Missed the last Quasi twin in Switzerland and now the only 8.3 option in Europe available seems to be the Ishod/Worrest, which I am not fond of. Any word on the streets if any 8.3 twins are hitting the shops soon or do I need to make concessions, size up/down or even go back to regular decks?
[close]

New Habitat twins in 8.25 / 8.38 / 8.5 should be shipping out to shops in the next few weeks if you can handle 32.25" decks
[close]

Funny you say that, as other people had been asking about different sizes of twins not too long ago and I didn't really have anything new to add, besides what I had already seen and heard, eg DLX / Ishods twins, Deathwish or similar boards, etc.

If they are all the Alien / Habitat squared off shapes, then it opens up the market a bit too, so others who don't like the DLX twin shapes can have something different.

Longer boards, medium wheelbases, long kicks??

Cheers lads, I’m open for new shapes.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

hiljentaa

• Rep: 318
« Reply #1322 on: October 29, 2023, 10:58:12 AM »
In case y'all didn't see-

Girl/Chocolate 8" twin coming soon.

https://www.youtube.com/live/4NXEOALGo4Y?si=A3E6VDZyhdY7WVzA

@27:25

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1384
« Reply #1323 on: October 29, 2023, 12:53:17 PM »
I've never skated a twin tail - I'm so used to the nose being bigger than the tail. For those of you that made the switch to a twin tail, what was it like? I looked back a few pages for some opinions but didn't see anything.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1324 on: October 29, 2023, 12:56:50 PM »
I've never skated a twin tail - I'm so used to the nose being bigger than the tail. For those of you that made the switch to a twin tail, what was it like? I looked back a few pages for some opinions but didn't see anything.

I think it’s important to see them in person to make sure the kicks are to your liking. Some are sort of dual nose, some are sort of dual tail. I really like the real Ishod twin 8.5s, the kicks are pretty full but not totally square and that’s been really comfortable for me.

After a session or two you just completely stop thinking about it which is really cool. Just put your board down and go. I could see if you have really a strong nollie/switch game it could be more of an adjustment since your trick set ups will change a bit, but it’s worth trying imo

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1384
« Reply #1325 on: October 29, 2023, 01:00:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think it’s important to see them in person to make sure the kicks are to your liking. Some are sort of dual nose, some are sort of dual tail. I really like the real Ishod twin 8.5s, the kicks are pretty full but not totally square and that’s been really comfortable for me.

After a session or two you just completely stop thinking about it which is really cool. Just put your board down and go. I could see if you have really a strong nollie/switch game it could be more of an adjustment since your trick set ups will change a bit, but it’s worth trying imo

Hell yeah Bart, thanks for the info

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1326 on: October 29, 2023, 02:29:28 PM »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #1327 on: October 29, 2023, 03:00:35 PM »

https://habitatskateboards.com/products/100-biodegradable-8-25
What the hell are these truck size recommendations. Makes no sense at all.
This 8.25 deck fits 8.5 thunder but 8.0 ventures

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1042
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1328 on: October 29, 2023, 07:55:46 PM »
What the hell are these truck size recommendations. Makes no sense at all.
This 8.25 deck fits 8.5 thunder but 8.0 ventures

I think someone got their truck sizes confused / mixed up.  Happens to anyone easily enough.

Indy 144 / Venture 5.6 / Thunder 148 / Ace AF1 44 seems about right for 8.25 boards, but people could ride 149s / 5.8 / 55s on them too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1329 on: October 29, 2023, 08:09:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Like @BartHarleyJarvis said, it depends if you like a twin tail (DLX, shorter kicks) or twin nose (Habitat / Crail, longer kicks), it took time to get the truck tightness even for both but I appreciate not having to check which is my nose and tail anymore before throwing down.

Some other side effects:
- changing up your colored bolts game - I used to do 2 colored bolts, not all black
- changing up your griptape game - ideally I want plain black but I've got a few sheets of grip with cutouts which was distracting for a bit
- having to stock up on a shape you like - you're committed to 1 shape so finding an equivalent is tough
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #1330 on: November 07, 2023, 10:41:15 AM »
Welcome’s new lineup for this season has no evil twins. On their IG they said there will be none this season.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they stay gone. All of their shapes are basically popsicle and egg now.

So if you have one, don’t get too attached to that shape!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1331 on: November 07, 2023, 11:21:54 AM »
Welcome’s new lineup for this season has no evil twins. On their IG they said there will be none this season.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they stay gone. All of their shapes are basically popsicle and egg now.

DW Neen and Foy drops seemingly the same (only old stock out there).

Guess we'll all be riding Crail, DLX, SC or Hab/AWS eventually. I've been on non-twins for a bit, but might have to jump back to DLX for some Worrest twins (better graphics than Ishods).

I've said it earlier in this thread, but TT are not as popular as people think and for sure get lower priority when it comes to production runs...no matter what *YOUR* shop sells through...it's not the only shop...

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #1332 on: November 07, 2023, 12:26:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

DW Neen and Foy drops seemingly the same (only old stock out there).

Guess we'll all be riding Crail, DLX, SC or Hab/AWS eventually. I've been on non-twins for a bit, but might have to jump back to DLX for some Worrest twins (better graphics than Ishods).

I've said it earlier in this thread, but TT are not as popular as people think and for sure get lower priority when it comes to production runs...no matter what *YOUR* shop sells through...it's not the only shop...

yeah the bobby makes me want to try the 8.38 one

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #1333 on: November 08, 2023, 07:11:08 AM »

This legitimately gave me the fear, so I asked them if Evil Twins will be coming back in future drops and they replied that they will return "later next year". Fuck knows what that actually means, but they will be returning. 

Got one left on ice, and will have to get at least 3 more to see me through.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1334 on: November 10, 2023, 06:25:03 PM »

Started watching this and how he's skating the board, he doesn't turn it around (one time I think?) Unless he doesn't care about tricks on/off the nose or tail, he's skating it like a twin.

Still a goat/killing it.

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1335 on: November 10, 2023, 10:51:50 PM »

Started watching this and how he's skating the board, he doesn't turn it around (one time I think?) Unless he doesn't care about tricks on/off the nose or tail, he's skating it like a twin.

Still a goat/killing it.

Haven’t watched the video, but he has been skating a twin shape in some of the other videos. Not sure when primitive will actually make it available for the masses though.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1336 on: November 14, 2023, 12:45:43 AM »
Expand Quote

Still a goat/killing it.
[close]

Haven’t watched the video, but he has been skating a twin shape in some of the other videos. Not sure when primitive will actually make it available for the masses though.
He's been on twin noses for a while
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1337 on: November 14, 2023, 10:06:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Still a goat/killing it.
[close]

[close]
He's been on twin noses for a while

Wish they'd release them!

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1338 on: November 14, 2023, 10:34:25 AM »
I really need a deck, my Quasi is disintegrating. Would hate to cop another Ishod/Worrest tho, wasn't a fan. I debate getting a "regular" bloard with more or less equal nose and tail.
why come?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1339 on: November 14, 2023, 10:42:47 AM »
I really need a deck, my Quasi is disintegrating. Would hate to cop another Ishod/Worrest tho, wasn't a fan. I debate getting a "regular" bloard with more or less equal nose and tail.

I tried going back and want to jump back to twins; the thing that messes with me the most is the difference in kicks; I'm on a planb now and the nose is so much steeper, it feels super weird just doing shuvs to orientate the board.

Eyeing some non-twin santa cruz options, the stump shapes, as they use a mold with symmetrical kicks - degree of kick, not shape; they are also less steep than their twins...man if they made a 'stump twin' I'd be all in.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 01:09:18 PM by Xen »

flintstagram

« Reply #1340 on: November 14, 2023, 09:35:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I tried going back and want to jump back to twins; the thing that messes with me the most is the difference in kicks; I'm on a planb now and the nose is so much steeper, it feels super weird just doing shuvs to orientate the board.

Eyeing some non-twin santa cruz options, the stump shapes, as they use a mold with symmetrical kicks - degree of kick, not shape; they are also less steep than their twins...man if they made a 'stump twin' I'd be all in.

I literally looked today to see if they are making stump twins yet. The stumps have a damn good shape, they’d rule as a twin.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1341 on: November 16, 2023, 07:13:25 AM »
Brehs I found a source. German outfit.

https://firstskateshop.com/en-eu/collections/superply

Just ordered a 8.38 twin blank.

Will report back.
why come?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1342 on: November 16, 2023, 10:18:10 AM »

Will report back.

Sounds like DSM.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #1343 on: November 16, 2023, 12:54:15 PM »

Will report back.
Those are the twins skatedeluxe sells, and my local shop does as well. Just set up the 8.38, been riding the 8.25 for 2 months and it was great. I just wish the tails were a bit steeper. They're 19°.

flintstagram

« Reply #1344 on: November 16, 2023, 03:46:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think skating something other than a plan b will also help a ton. I skated a plan b 8.5 a few years back when Cole was still on. Worst feeling board. The nose was so long and steep. Hated it so much. I skated it for several weeks trying to get used to it. Never did. Won’t make that mistake again.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1345 on: November 16, 2023, 03:58:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think skating something other than a plan b will also help a ton. I skated a plan b 8.5 a few years back when Cole was still on. Worst feeling board. The nose was so long and steep. Hated it so much. I skated it for several weeks trying to get used to it. Never did. Won’t make that mistake again.

Yeah, I've already dismissed it (nose sucks, kick and shape); waiting for the BF sales to kick in full.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1346 on: November 23, 2023, 04:39:37 AM »
Cross post from the set up thread:

After quite a while on the Quasi 8.375 twin, I picked up an 8.38 shop blank twin from First Skateshop. This is an entirely different beast than the Quasi even if the measurements are somehow similar: Length and width are identical, wheelbase on the shop blank a hair wider. However, and as you can see, the kicks on the shop blank are much wider/squarer than the Quasi. As a matter of fact this shop blank reminds me of the Ishod 8.5 twin a lot. It could actually be labelled twin nose. If that's your jam you might like it. Further, the concave (not the kicks) seems quite steep. I only had one sesh and will have to explore further.

Here's the specs:

8.38 twin blank from First Skateshop
Miles
Indy Forged Hollows 144 stock
Spitfire classics used to be 52mm but now a bit smaller
Swiss Super Six (or whatever they call them)
First Aid 1 inch Allen bolts
why come?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1347 on: November 23, 2023, 06:39:15 AM »
https://habitatskateboards.com/products/apex-bold-green-8-25-twin
https://habitatskateboards.com/products/apex-bold-blue-8-375-twin
https://habitatskateboards.com/products/apex-bold-white-8-5-twin

I'm probably the rare few who enjoys the Habitat Twin shapes, but they are now available in 8.25 / 8.38 / 8.5
8.25 & 8.38 - L: 32.25, WB: 14.38
8.5 - L: 32.375, WB: 14.25, thought this was an off measurement but I just checked and it is actually that long
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1348 on: November 23, 2023, 10:36:23 AM »
Based off the 8.3, probably safe to assume the 8.25 measures true.

Why so long?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1349 on: November 23, 2023, 06:15:00 PM »
Based off the 8.3, probably safe to assume the 8.25 measures true.

Why so long?

Big deck energy is why
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m