Author Topic: Independent Trucks Mid  (Read 74487 times)

Antz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Re: Independent Trucks Mid
« Reply #420 on: January 28, 2021, 09:10:21 PM »
I got a set and so far so good.

I asked about this in another thread, just to get more eyes on my problem here.

Having a problem with the bushings though. I can’t tighten them down as far as I like to. Either the kingpin ran out of threads, or it’s hitting the board. I’m on the heavier side (190lbs.) and ride my trucks medium. Had to throw some Indy Hard bushings in, which don’t give me the rebound and responsiveness I get out of the stock orange medium bushings.

Indy Hard bushings are 94a, thinking about getting these Doh-Doh bushings that are 92a, as I can’t find the Indy Medium- Hard bushings anywhere in my area right now.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Hey did you ever get your issue sorted out?
I’m running into the same issue with the stock orange bushings. Brand new 159 mids.. Can only tighten kingpin down 2 full rotations before it feels like it’s hitting the deck.
If you did resolve your issue, how did you go about it? I’m about the same weight as you and these bushings aren’t cutting it.

Thanks for your input. 

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #421 on: January 28, 2021, 09:46:07 PM »
Expand Quote

Having a problem with the bushings though. I can’t tighten them down as far as I like to. Either the kingpin ran out of threads, or it’s hitting the board. I’m on the heavier side (190lbs.) and ride my trucks medium. Had to throw some Indy Hard bushings in, which don’t give me the rebound and responsiveness I get out of the stock orange medium bushings.

Indy Hard bushings are 94a, thinking about getting these Doh-Doh bushings that are 92a, as I can’t find the Indy Medium- Hard bushings anywhere in my area right now.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance!
[close]

I’m running into the same issue with the stock orange bushings. Brand new 159 mids.. Can only tighten kingpin down 2 full rotations before it feels like it’s hitting the deck.
If you did resolve your issue, how did you go about it? I’m about the same weight as you and these bushings aren’t cutting it.

Thanks for your input.

I ran into the same thing. I just picked up some thunder raws, so the mids live in my closet now

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 124
« Reply #422 on: January 28, 2021, 10:00:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance!
[close]

Thanks for your input.
[close]

I ran into the same thing. I just picked up some thunder raws, so the mids live in my closet now

So i just kept riding mine stock ,front tighten a little bit less than the back (back tightened till the hitting the deck feeling), now they rebound great and tightened up and stabalized . Feel great with the stock bushings. I weigh 240 lb.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #423 on: January 29, 2021, 02:26:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance!
[close]

Thanks for your input.
[close]

I am curious if you have taken them off, is the kingpin down to the bottom / touching or digging into the deck or would it have hit the end of the thread on the kingpin?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Diocletian

« Reply #424 on: January 29, 2021, 12:54:08 PM »
I've got some brand new unmounted 159 mids and kreper pins if anyone wants to buy them DM me
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 02:52:03 PM by Diocletian »

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #425 on: January 29, 2021, 02:04:57 PM »
Maybe a dumb question, but is axle slip even a thing anymore?

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #426 on: January 29, 2021, 02:20:42 PM »

I remember Clive Dixon saying he would get some slippage with his thunders, in one of those “my indys” videos.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #427 on: January 29, 2021, 03:46:42 PM »

I haven't seen any in a long time, even when people think they have it, when checking it was more commonly the bearing moving in the wheel.

Not to say that it is not happening, but I think the only issue I have seen is the breaking hanger pivot nub more than anything else in the last five or more years.

Croquet temper

« Reply #428 on: January 29, 2021, 04:22:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I haven't seen any in a long time, even when people think they have it, when checking it was more commonly the bearing moving in the wheel.

Not to say that it is not happening, but I think the only issue I have seen is the breaking hanger pivot nub more than anything else in the last five or more years.

Word, thank you. Yeah I definitely had bearing slippage because I tried using spacers that didn’t fit.

Diocletian

« Reply #429 on: January 29, 2021, 05:09:29 PM »
I remember seeing/reading somewhere axles now have little ridges that stick out so they grip inside the hanger better after the aluminum cools down

Croquet temper

« Reply #430 on: January 29, 2021, 05:19:59 PM »
I remember seeing/reading somewhere axles now have little ridges that stick out so they grip inside the hanger better after the aluminum cools down

Saw something on Rad Rats youtube about that, but was wondering if axle slip was really happening out in the wild, or if it’s a thing of the past like the Rad Rat guy said.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
« Reply #431 on: February 04, 2021, 03:01:00 PM »
I’m sure this has already been covered (too lazy to pick through this thread to fine it), but has anyone put forged baseplates on them? Good?...Yay, nay?  Lots of wheelbite?  What size wheels did you use?

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #432 on: February 04, 2021, 05:52:55 PM »
I’m sure this has already been covered (too lazy to pick through this thread to fine it), but has anyone put forged baseplates on them? Good?...Yay, nay?  Lots of wheelbite?  What size wheels did you use?

I did. Stock bushings and threw on some 51mm (slim) and 50mm (wide) wheels, they felt good, if not still heavy; I sold them off but will pick up the TI versions of the mids when they drop. Gonna be a really nice low/light indy.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
« Reply #433 on: February 04, 2021, 06:06:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I did. Stock bushings and threw on some 51mm (slim) and 50mm (wide) wheels, they felt good, if not still heavy; I sold them off but will pick up the TI versions of the mids when they drop. Gonna be a really nice low/light indy.

Thanks man.  I’ve got 52 conical fulls on it since that’s more or less as small as I go because of all the shit ground I skate on.

Waiting for the titanium jawns would have been a much more logical decision, but got all impulse buy-ey.

I’m going to try them out just stock before I start fucking with them. 

They are noticeably heavier than my goto 144 tits, but some people like that.    ...I appear to just rambling at this point here.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 124
« Reply #434 on: February 05, 2021, 03:08:13 AM »
So they pinch decently.  My bs crooks are not that great but my fs crooks pinched so good

ohyeah

« Reply #435 on: May 10, 2021, 06:58:33 PM »
So I bought a pair of 139 mids and it seemed like the kingpin nut wasn't staying tightened, seemed like my one truck would loosen by itself (even after tightening it down enough so that it wouldn't normally loosen by itself).  Basically, I would see the kingpin nut at one position during the sesh, then look down at it, say, half an hour later, and it seemed to be in a totally different position, which bugged me out.

I chalked it up to a defective pair (?), and decided to try another pair- this time, 149 mids:

On this pair, to make sure nothing was just in my head, I marked a line in sharpie at "12 o' clock" on the kingpin nut after tightening the trucks enough to make sure the kingpin wouldn't (normally) loosen by itself .  Sure enough, by the end of the second session with the 149s, the line I marked was now at around "8 o' clock".  I did not touch the kingpin nut with a tool throughout the entire session.  The weird thing is, I'm not even sure if my truck feels any tighter/looser on the 149 with the kingpin nut rotating by itself.

Is this somehow normal?  Or did I just get really unlucky with two consecutive defective pairs?

flintstagram

• Rep: 80
« Reply #436 on: May 12, 2021, 09:20:16 PM »

I am curious if you have taken them off, is the kingpin down to the bottom / touching or digging into the deck or would it have hit the end of the thread on the kingpin?

I’m way late to this party, but the kingpin hits the end of threads well before it digs into the deck. No punching through part of your deck with these.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #437 on: May 12, 2021, 09:32:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’m way late to this party, but the kingpin hits the end of threads well before it digs into the deck. No punching through part of your deck with these.

Thanks!

That's ok, and it is good to know too.

From looking at a few other options with inverted kingpins and quite a few were very close to wood or into the wood.

I would guess in the research and development stage that they should have checked this but you never know.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #438 on: May 13, 2021, 06:56:52 AM »
So I bought a pair of 139 mids and it seemed like the kingpin nut wasn't staying tightened, seemed like my one truck would loosen by itself

Is this somehow normal?  Or did I just get really unlucky with two consecutive defective pairs?
This happened to me with krux kingpins in modified indy baseplates; the kingpin was too short, and didn't catch enough of the nylock at the bottom of the baseplate. The vibrations from skating would loosen the kingpins throughout the session. I have an inverted kingpin setup with kreper kingpins that doesn't loosen up at all, its easy to tell because the kreper pins have an etched graphic on em. They're a tad longer, and the nuts have more nylock than krux.

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #439 on: May 13, 2021, 10:52:57 AM »
Expand Quote
So I bought a pair of 139 mids and it seemed like the kingpin nut wasn't staying tightened, seemed like my one truck would loosen by itself

[close]
This happened to me with krux kingpins in modified indy baseplates; the kingpin was too short, and didn't catch enough of the nylock at the bottom of the baseplate. The vibrations from skating would loosen the kingpins throughout the session. I have an inverted kingpin setup with kreper kingpins that doesn't loosen up at all, its easy to tell because the kreper pins have an etched graphic on em. They're a tad longer, and the nuts have more nylock than krux.

One way to help if you find yourself in this situation is to use a little Nylock threadlocker (the blue kind NOT the more permanent red kind). Just apply some to the nut's threads and get it tightened to where you want it and let it sit for a few hours. Occasionally you will need to re-do this application, and for sure re-do it any time you take the truck apart to mess with bushings or whatever. I had to do this for years with that modification I was doing to make Thunder's with inverted kingpins, wasn't too much of a pain.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #440 on: May 13, 2021, 06:12:43 PM »
Can’t you guys just flip the nut upside down so the nylon side is up? That way it will always catch the nylon part, even if it’s a short kingpin. It’s also hidden under the truck so aesthetically wouldn’t bother me.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #441 on: May 14, 2021, 12:51:42 AM »
Can’t you guys just flip the nut upside down so the nylon side is up? That way it will always catch the nylon part, even if it’s a short kingpin. It’s also hidden under the truck so aesthetically wouldn’t bother me.

I am not sure you can remove the kingpin nut in the indy mids that easily, otherwise that would be a good solution.
IG: @flowterspace

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #442 on: May 14, 2021, 04:31:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I am not sure you can remove the kingpin nut in the indy mids that easily, otherwise that would be a good solution.

Yeah true, I was actually more thinking of "modified" regular baseplates, when you need to use the epoxy to fix the nut.
On the mids I think the nut is this weird one that you cant flip, so this method wouldn't work.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #443 on: May 14, 2021, 09:22:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It would require a significant effort to remove it (a machine shop more than likely). It's not just a simple 'kingpin' nut jammed in there but a full/unique assembly.

Haven't heard much in regards to the hollow or ti models...let alone the stand alone plates; I'm wondering if the sales just didn't make it worth it to continue branching out the line.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 10:08:32 AM by Xen »

Smoothbrain1

• Rep: -7
« Reply #444 on: May 14, 2021, 10:35:29 AM »
Got some mids 149s with a hollow krux Dlk kingpin and some ace bushingS. With the stock kingpin and bushings I couldn’t get these trucks tight enough, but now they’re perfect and I love them.
 I do have to check my kingpin every few seshes to make sure they’re tight, the back truck kingpin does loosen sometimes but I’m not bothered by it.

I actually really don’t like the Indy dlk or the new krux dlk. I don’t know why krux changed it, the new one is not hollow and it’s not as low.

Indy kingpin is the same. Tbh the Kingpin clearance on these trucks with the iNdy DLK isn’t anything special at all. It hardly seems lower than the normal kingpins.

I’ll post some pics later maybe, but the old krux kingpin practically sits inside the top bushing making it way low, whereas the new kingpins sit ontop of the bushings and are even higher so you get can a tool on the nut instead of just using an Allen like the old ones.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #445 on: May 14, 2021, 02:09:56 PM »
Got some mids 149s with a hollow krux Dlk kingpin and some ace bushingS. With the stock kingpin and bushings I couldn’t get these trucks tight enough, but now they’re perfect and I love them.
 I do have to check my kingpin every few seshes to make sure they’re tight, the back truck kingpin does loosen sometimes but I’m not bothered by it.

I actually really don’t like the Indy dlk or the new krux dlk. I don’t know why krux changed it, the new one is not hollow and it’s not as low.

Indy kingpin is the same. Tbh the Kingpin clearance on these trucks with the iNdy DLK isn’t anything special at all. It hardly seems lower than the normal kingpins.

I’ll post some pics later maybe, but the old krux kingpin practically sits inside the top bushing making it way low, whereas the new kingpins sit ontop of the bushings and are even higher so you get can a tool on the nut instead of just using an Allen like the old ones.

Well it's been noted that the clearance on the mids sucks and that's sort of why they're heavier is due to beefing up the hanger to compensate to for the shit clearance.

I get why they used hex/allen combo instead of JUST allen like the Krux DLK but it feels halfassed...

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #446 on: May 14, 2021, 10:22:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Well it's been noted that the clearance on the mids sucks and that's sort of why they're heavier is due to beefing up the hanger to compensate to for the shit clearance.

I get why they used hex/allen combo instead of JUST allen like the Krux DLK but it feels halfassed...

Can you use the Old krux downlow in the Indy mids? Just the kingpin I mean.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #447 on: May 17, 2021, 08:14:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Can you use the Old krux downlow in the Indy mids? Just the kingpin I mean.

Yes, it fits - BUT you may need to use a low top/shave it down some unless you ride tight.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #448 on: May 17, 2021, 10:24:00 AM »
Posted in the trucks thread, but anyone got the intel on when the baseplates (just the baseplates) are going to be available?

ish_wav

• Rep: 93
« Reply #449 on: May 17, 2021, 01:05:33 PM »
Posted in the trucks thread, but anyone got the intel on when the baseplates (just the baseplates) are going to be available?

NHS replied to me in January and said they’d be available early March 2021. It’s now mid May lol. If you google “independent IKP” the Canadian NHS (and several other Canadian sites) already have them. No clue why the States haven’t gotten them. I even reached out to a shop owner buddy and he hasn’t heard anything about getting them in anytime soon.