Author Topic: Independent Trucks Mid  (Read 77300 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Independent Trucks Mid
« Reply #570 on: April 03, 2022, 07:20:02 PM »
Picking up my warrant plates tomorrow and then prob selling my Mid Hollows not because they were bad, but standards are working better for me.

Did you have a warranty issue with the Indy mids?

What happened?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #571 on: April 03, 2022, 08:07:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone have the forged hollow mids and could give a review? Been having lots of truck madness lately and these caught my attention.
[close]

@hobochimp Due to the madness I picked up the 149 forged mids; stock bottoms, 96a indy aftermarket tops (the stock bottoms are 2mm shorter than the aftermarkets) and 50mm spits.

They wheelbit like crazy with stock tightness/bushings. A bit less now with the harder top and riding them tighter than I normally would (I usually swap to hard bushings in lows). They feel surprisingly light for 149s (coming of the 149 royals).

While not broken in yet, they squeaked like a motherfucker out of the gate, when I swapped bushings I threw in some wax in the pivot cups which fixed it for now; it was REALLY bad tho, worse than any set of new trucks so far/ever.

I doubt there is anything new material-wise here, but the grind felt really good, but different than my TI indys (could be hollow vs ti); after riding the royals for a good stretch, even new I prefer the grind feel of these indys...this could also be a combination of DSM wood/Forged plates/101a vs the Royals cast/BBS wood/99a they are setup on: One feels crisp the other a bit deadish; I've always prefered the crisp feel.

Riding them on a steep kicked 8.28" / 14.18 WB Santa Cruz, will try them out on a mellow kick board next. It's fun being so low to the ground again but still able to turn.
[close]

This does not help my madness haha. Got hit by the truck madness bad recently. Two sets of trucks deep in about a month. Already wanting others. Never ridden trucks that low before but I’m curious what it will do for me. Trying to finally nail some flat ground tricks after spending most of my time skating in only bowls and pools

Truth be told, the Royals and these forged mindys feel so similar to me that I could go either way; Royals are bit swervier/faster whereas the indys are smoother and slower but the grind on indy is better (to me...I don't know what it is with these tho, they feel harder than my TI, like venture hard yet smoother). I've been a fan of low trucks since the 49mm Thunders were all they offered in 149s...it should also keep me from buying the ACE lows ;).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 08:17:53 PM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #572 on: April 03, 2022, 08:33:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Picking up my warrant plates tomorrow and then prob selling my Mid Hollows not because they were bad, but standards are working better for me.
[close]

What happened?

Bad nylock on the shaft nut so the kingpin kept coming so loose. It's such a common issue now that it is in their warranty dropdown.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #573 on: April 04, 2022, 05:19:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

What happened?
[close]

Bad nylock on the shaft nut so the kingpin kept coming so loose. It's such a common issue now that it is in their warranty dropdown.

Thanks!

I had given up trying to get anything sorted with those ones for a friend, but I think he ended up giving them away anyway to someone who was just stoked to have trucks that weren't down to the axle, so it is not a worry really.

Interesting they actually have that listed too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #574 on: April 04, 2022, 08:14:41 AM »
So far it’s happened to every single person I know that used them long term. It takes a while, but seems to always happen. First it started very slowly but by the end I would do 6-7 tricks and it would loosen a half turn but only on one truck.

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 354
« Reply #575 on: April 04, 2022, 08:58:38 AM »
Nylock is supposed to be a one-use application so that makes sense, the problem won't go away unless you use loctite.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #576 on: April 04, 2022, 09:55:17 AM »
Nylock is supposed to be a one-use application so that makes sense, the problem won't go away unless you use loctite.

Which pretty much sucks in this application since the area to apply is nested inside the baseplate so you have too mount your trucks, get them feeling good, take off the trucks, apply loctite, re-mount them and never ever adjust your trucks again :\

Lurpiv's solution is looking more and more like the right one in this instance.

manysnakes

« Reply #577 on: April 04, 2022, 10:09:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Which pretty much sucks in this application since the area to apply is nested inside the baseplate so you have too mount your trucks, get them feeling good, take off the trucks, apply loctite, re-mount them and never ever adjust your trucks again :\

You just need to use the correct flavor of Loctite. Red Loctite is for permanent applications, green is the void filler, but blue Loctite (usually 242, 248, or their generic equivalents) is intended for screws which see semi-frequent adjustment. It will eventually dry out and chip away, at which time you will need to clean the threads of your screw and reapply, but IMO it's still a far better solution than using a tiny grub screw to dig into your kingpin.

If you want to make it even easier, skip the liquid stuff and splurge on the blue Loctite "glue stick".

Paperclip20

• Rep: 139
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #578 on: April 04, 2022, 10:38:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You just need to use the correct flavor of Loctite. Red Loctite is for permanent applications, green is the void filler, but blue Loctite (usually 242, 248, or their generic equivalents) is intended for screws which see semi-frequent adjustment. It will eventually dry out and chip away, at which time you will need to clean the threads of your screw and reapply, but IMO it's still a far better solution than using a tiny grub screw to dig into your kingpin.

If you want to make it even easier, skip the liquid stuff and splurge on the blue Loctite "glue stick".

Haha, my grub screw needed loctite to stay anyway.

logjammin

• Rep: 354
« Reply #579 on: April 04, 2022, 10:43:42 AM »
Yeah, this all just boils down to the fact that this is probably the reason why inverted kingpins didn't get adapted as the industry standard. Just gotta live with grinding on that kingpin and power through it.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #580 on: April 04, 2022, 01:48:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Haha, my grub screw needed loctite to stay anyway.

Yeah, this all just boils down to the fact that this is probably the reason why inverted kingpins didn't get adapted as the industry standard. Just gotta live with grinding on that kingpin and power through it.

More than likely, which makes you wonder why it's so on trend right now...Film, Indy/Krux, Royals, thunders (exploratory stage).

I get that the Kingpin/Bushing scenario is peak and altering it in any other way doesn't seem to be viable for 'our' sort of skating. Kingpin length, washer/bushing circumference would probably mess with everything.

Tho I don't see why a lower profile cap-style topper with a threaded sleeve that goes into the top bushing (like a sleeved washer) couldn't work to lower the profile with a shorter KP at worst it would mean a slighting larger hole through the bushings...couple that with lower tops (presumably harder to compensate) could work, tho it would probably have less room for adjustments.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #581 on: August 10, 2022, 05:07:59 PM »
I've been riding 149 hollow-forged mids (50.5mm) off and on (more on than off) for a while now, running ACE classic bottoms and classic low tops, stock cups and they're delicious.

Nothing, not ACE low (with hards) or the new royals feel as good as these do....and I've all but written off thunders (too much wheelbite even when compared to lower trucks).

After fucking around with ti hangers and finding out the hangers are not interchangeable with the mid forged plate (pin doesn't sit center with non mid hangers) I started comparing both the forged mindy and regular forged ti, and prefer the height and turn of the forged mindy over all the rest.

Now the Royals are a hot second place (ACE low third), and I've praised them before and never had an issue with the grind before...but now, after skating the forged mids, the indys just grind better; on the same curbs, the royals (broken in) are stickier than the indys....even the ACE F1 lows grind a bit better than the royals.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 05:57:31 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #582 on: August 10, 2022, 05:31:06 PM »
I could see me trying this truck too…

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #583 on: August 10, 2022, 05:48:04 PM »
I could see me trying this truck too…

It's weird, I've got a BOX of trucks and loads of indys of all sizes, 159/149/144. hollow/ti, cast, IKP, forged, etc., but I never ride them anymore (mainly because I'm not skating bowls these days) and I'm a weight whore bitch.

But since I started back on these and with the ACE bushing combo (which I always ran in indy since I found out how good it works), I can't get off them, not that I mind, everything else feels 'off' in comparison.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #584 on: August 10, 2022, 07:11:39 PM »
The progression from thunders, to ventures, to ace lo’s, I’m caring about the weight less….ventures not grinding well on raw angle iron bugs me a bit and the ace lo’s are just too weird, makes me think this truck might be worth trying…

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #585 on: August 10, 2022, 07:40:29 PM »
The progression from thunders, to ventures, to ace lo’s, I’m caring about the weight less….ventures not grinding well on raw angle iron bugs me a bit and the ace lo’s are just too weird, makes me think this truck might be worth trying…

While I know it's heavier than say...the royals or aces...it doesn't matter/I don't seem to care; it doesn't make the board heavy and it is hollow/forged afterall so there is weight reduction.

They're just fun to skate.

I should note that I've been riding them exclusively with 14.3x wheelbases.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 08:06:08 PM by Xen »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
« Reply #586 on: August 10, 2022, 08:55:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

While I know it's heavier than say...the royals or aces...it doesn't matter/I don't seem to care; it doesn't make the board heavy and it is hollow/forged afterall so there is weight reduction.

Weight on trucks doesn’t bother me nearly as much as it does on the wheels.
A lower indy sounds dope. Glad these are working for you.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #587 on: August 10, 2022, 10:25:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Weight on trucks doesn’t bother me nearly as much as it does on the wheels.
A lower indy sounds dope. Glad these are working for you.

Sometimes I feel weight matters, other times, not so much (right kicks/WB/Fingers of Flat/etc). But the bigger the board, + bigger the wheels then add in some 149s (hollow or not) and it starts to add up. I can't imagine skating an 8.5x32+, 149 indy standards and 54mm conical/radial fulls..."BRING HER ABOUT!!"

Indys are heavy, we all know that, especially toe to toe with Thunders. Hell, a standard 149 royal is a couple grams heavier than a 149 inty ti ffs....

Currently on a 'light' feeling 8.5 (with a 14.3wb) with these indys and some ricta naturals (the mid shape); the ricta are lighter in hand than the 'other two' wheel co.'s mm for mm. (52 conical - 52 v5 - 52 mid); they just feel less dense (but are holding up fine).

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #588 on: August 11, 2022, 01:45:01 AM »
I'm still thinking about getting the forged hollow mids, the height sounds great (50,5mm right?).
I am mainly on 52mm Spits.

But I don't want a inverted kingpin. Anyone might know how much of a pain it is too hammer the kingpin out of the mindy baseplate? Putting in a shorter regular kingpin then.
IG: @flowterspace

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 631
« Reply #589 on: August 11, 2022, 02:16:39 AM »
I'm still thinking about getting the forged hollow mids, the height sounds great (50,5mm right?).

But I don't want a inverted kingpin. Anyone might know how much of a pain it is too hammer the kingpin out of the mindy baseplate? Putting in a shorter regular kingpin then.

Not possible because of the shaft nut. Also stupid because you can just use a normal forged baseplate. The height reduction is all in the hanger.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #590 on: August 11, 2022, 05:06:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not possible because of the shaft nut. Also stupid because you can just use a normal forged baseplate. The height reduction is all in the hanger.

Aaah, I see. Thanks for the explanation.
IG: @flowterspace

IpathCats

« Reply #591 on: August 11, 2022, 06:34:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

.....Nah

I think pressed KP nuts and nut holes in the baseplate, in combination with KPs and baseplate holes machined to tighter tolerances could solve this. Would be a bitch to get the nut out, but you might not ever have to. Maybe pressed KP nut holes and super tightly thread the whole portion of the kp that enters the baseplate.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #592 on: August 11, 2022, 08:53:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yes, they are 50.5mm.

The mindy hanger sits differently on a regular forged plate.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3820284;topicseen#msg3820284

Visibly different. It’s skatable, but doesn’t feel as good to me compared to the forged stock indy with the IKP setup.

Note: Indy mids are marketed as using Independent’s ‘legendary geometry’ not as Stage XI; very possible they’re not meant to be cross compatible.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 11:48:52 AM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #593 on: August 11, 2022, 09:10:54 AM »
Is it safe to say these trucks don’t wheelbite as bad  as a thunder?  Similar contact point to an ace low?

timv

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #594 on: August 11, 2022, 09:30:05 AM »
When I did this same test with mids and some titaniums i noticed that the mids looked slightly off center on any baseplates.  I think with the mid baseplate and inverted kingpin it is just harder to see.
I have titanium hangers on forged mid baseplates right now and it works well.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3820284;topicseen#msg3820284

It’s skatable, but doesn’t feel as good to me compared to the forged stock indy with the IKP setup.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #595 on: August 11, 2022, 09:35:39 AM »
Is it safe to say these trucks don’t wheelbite as bad as a thunder?  Similar contact point to an ace low?

I'll preface this with "I get wheelbite on everything". Skating 52mm (rounded/conical edge) wheels across ACE44 lo and these forged mindys and it hasn't been an issue that would put me off.

Conversely, yes, the Thunder (forged) wheelbite is significantly more frequent/worse than the Forged Mindy (and Ace lo) at my desired looseness, with the same wheels, due to the insta-pinch. I just can't get myself to ride tighter trucks.

On sloppy landings I roll away much, much more on the ACE lo/Mindys than I do on thunders.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #596 on: August 11, 2022, 12:03:01 PM »
When I did this same test with mids and some titaniums i noticed that the mids looked slightly off center on any baseplates.  I think with the mid baseplate and inverted kingpin it is just harder to see.
I have titanium hangers on forged mid baseplates right now and it works well.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

It’s skatable, but doesn’t feel as good to me compared to the forged stock indy with the IKP setup.
[close]

When I did it, without the IKP in place the mid hangar sat center on the mid plate) like the ti does in my pic above.

Now regardless of plate that all changes when you put the top bushing on which would force it center I’m guessing.

FWIW on my cast IKP plates (that you can buy standalone) all my stage XI ti or hollow hangers sit dead center; I’ll have to try the mid hanger on them.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 12:34:25 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #597 on: August 11, 2022, 12:28:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Is it safe to say these trucks don’t wheelbite as bad as a thunder?  Similar contact point to an ace low?
[close]

I'll preface this with "I get wheelbite on everything". Skating 52mm (rounded/conical edge) wheels across ACE44 lo and these forged mindys and it hasn't been an issue that would put me off.

Conversely, yes, the Thunder (forged) wheelbite is significantly more frequent/worse than the Forged Mindy (and Ace lo) at my desired looseness, with the same wheels, due to the insta-pinch. I just can't get myself to ride tighter trucks.

On sloppy landings I roll away much, much more on the ACE lo/Mindys than I do on thunders.

Thanks….with the ace Lo, you swerve before you bite so it saves you…..venture hi’s are so shallow, it’s just rubs… it’s the angle of the thunder where you just get pitched…..

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #598 on: August 11, 2022, 01:37:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks….with the ace Lo, you swerve before you bite so it saves you…..venture hi’s are so shallow, it’s just rubs… it’s the angle of the thunder where you just get pitched…..

On thunders it's almost instantaneous for me (loose trucks, sloppy style, and 185lbs)....it's very jarring.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 04:07:16 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #599 on: August 11, 2022, 11:19:43 PM »
Landmine landings…..