Author Topic: Independent Trucks Mid  (Read 74973 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Independent Trucks Mid
« Reply #600 on: August 12, 2022, 08:15:11 PM »
Landmine landings…..

Yes!

"...oh shit I'm gonna roll awaaaaa....wait wuhhh BOOOOOOOM!"

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #601 on: August 14, 2022, 09:24:15 PM »
Now I have to try a set of the forged mindys

I was grooving with the standard mindys on my krooked 8.38

But a lighter indy mid and xen approved against the top even ace?!
yes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #602 on: August 14, 2022, 10:14:55 PM »
If you’re grooving on the mindys and want a lower truck can’t go wrong with the forged mids.

FWIW, I tend to avoid skating Indy…heavy, slow…but I can’t deny these things are the goods for me and since they grind better than the royals…welll…

The Ace classic bottom and low classic top make these tho (just like they elevate venture).

I just set up my 8.38 manderson with them ;) been skating them on longer WB, hopefully I can adjust.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 10:28:24 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #603 on: August 15, 2022, 01:25:07 PM »
I’m swearing off royals for good or for bad….I don’t need to get any nuttier….the fact Indy is at least trying to lighten them up is getting my wheels turning.  The kingpin design could be better but I don’t think it’s that bad. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #604 on: August 17, 2022, 07:39:39 PM »
Expand Quote
When I did this same test with mids and some titaniums i noticed that the mids looked slightly off center on any baseplates.  I think with the mid baseplate and inverted kingpin it is just harder to see.
I have titanium hangers on forged mid baseplates right now and it works well.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm still thinking about getting the forged hollow mids, the height sounds great (50,5mm right?).
I am mainly on 52mm Spits.

But I don't want a inverted kingpin. Anyone might know how much of a pain it is too hammer the kingpin out of the mindy baseplate? Putting in a shorter regular kingpin then.
[close]

Not possible because of the shaft nut. Also stupid because you can just use a normal forged baseplate. The height reduction is all in the hanger.
[close]

Aaah, I see. Thanks for the explanation.
[close]

The mindy hanger sits differently on a regular forged plate.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3820284;topicseen#msg3820284

It’s skatable, but doesn’t feel as good to me compared to the forged stock indy with the IKP setup.
[close]
[close]

When I did it, without the IKP in place the mid hangar sat center on the mid plate) like the ti does in my pic above.

Now regardless of plate that all changes when you put the top bushing on which would force it center I’m guessing.

FWIW on my cast IKP plates (that you can buy standalone) all my stage XI ti or hollow hangers sit dead center; I’ll have to try the mid hanger on them.

Finally got around to trying out the cast IKP plates with the mid and ti hangers...same result.

The normal indy hanger yoke (hollow and ti) will sit dead center around a regular forged plate.

On both the IKP forged and cast plates non-mid hangers are clearly off center, with the kingpin almost touching the back of the yoke hole hanger side; likewise the mid hanger sits more forward on the regular plates and the kinping almost touched the front portion of the yoke hole. Perhaps it's just kinping angle.

Frank Sobotka

• Rep: 86
  • We used to make shit in this country, build shit
« Reply #605 on: August 19, 2022, 04:43:57 AM »
Truck nerds, I need help.

I skate stage IX 149's at the moment, but I noticed that the Tom Knox trucks are on sale and I'm curious to try a lighter truck, but I noticed that it's a mid profile truck. Now I'm 6'2" tall, is this going to be a pain in the arse to skate? Am I better off with the regular, taller trucks? What do I need to consider? (I've only got experience with standard Indy's)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #606 on: August 19, 2022, 10:16:14 AM »
The hollow forged [knox] indys are 53.5mm tall, if you are indeed riding Stage IX (9) as you wrote in your post, you would notice no height difference as Stage IX (9) were 53.5mm tall. If you are riding Stage XI standards (cast plates) they are 55mm tall.

Dropping from 55mm to 53.5 mm The only real issues you could come across are your preferred wheel height messing things up and/or possibly not liking the feel of forged plates over cast.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #607 on: August 19, 2022, 01:47:57 PM »
Are you wishing your current set up felt different? If not I implore you to not go down this path. Turn back before its too late.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #608 on: August 19, 2022, 06:07:19 PM »
Are you wishing your current set up felt different? If not I implore you to not go down this path. Turn back before its too late.

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Frank Sobotka

• Rep: 86
  • We used to make shit in this country, build shit
« Reply #609 on: August 21, 2022, 03:29:50 AM »
Yeah I'm just gonna stick with what I know, I'm happy with the truck's I've got I'm just having a bit of Gear Madness™!

Thanks for the advice!

beepbeep

• Rep: 4
« Reply #610 on: October 23, 2022, 09:58:33 AM »
I have a set of indy forged hollow 149 and reynolds hollow mids 149. Should I be worried about damage while riding the mid hanger on the forged base plate? I tried it briefly and, as others mentioned, noted the king pin was not that well centered. Not totally sure what the ramifications are of that... maybe extra wear on pivot cups or king pin?

logjammin

• Rep: 326
« Reply #611 on: December 12, 2022, 01:49:19 AM »
I never got around to riding the aftermarket inverted baseplates but since Ace's kingpin clearance sucks and my hangers are nearing axle, I put my AF1 44 hangers on them and the geo works out. I was doing this on Stage 7+8 baseplates but they started to have kingpin play so I needed that shaft nut design to hold everything together without sacrificing turn.

I never had an issue with the kingpins loosening, but with these stage 11 inverted baseplates, they just kept loosening more and more my session last night. Anyone have any idea why this happens? Is the nylock they use in these baseplates inferior or something? I'm aware loctite could help but I've never messed with the stuff.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #612 on: December 12, 2022, 02:40:59 AM »
I never got around to riding the aftermarket inverted baseplates but since Ace's kingpin clearance sucks and my hangers are nearing axle, I put my AF1 44 hangers on them and the geo works out. I was doing this on Stage 7+8 baseplates but they started to have kingpin play so I needed that shaft nut design to hold everything together without sacrificing turn.

I never had an issue with the kingpins loosening, but with these stage 11 inverted baseplates, they just kept loosening more and more my session last night. Anyone have any idea why this happens? Is the nylock they use in these baseplates inferior or something? I'm aware loctite could help but I've never messed with the stuff.

Do you have the kingpins tightened right down or left somewhere in the middle?

Others who didn't have them right down had a lot of issues, but those who had them right down didn't have any problems to my knowledge.

NHS did actually have a warranty thing going on for the mid baseplate issue, so you might be able to put in a warranty thing for them.

Compared to normal trucks where you can just put on a new nut, these ones are fixed so you either have to use lock tite or something like that once you get them where you want them.

I had all but left the inverted baseplate set on an old board, but I set them up again the other day just to see and although they worked fine and gave the most clearance, I still prefer a normal kingpin that I can more easily fix if needed.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

logjammin

• Rep: 326
« Reply #613 on: December 12, 2022, 06:02:56 AM »
Well, I tried to use the OG Krux downlow kingpin and it doesn't have enough threads to tighten it all the way down, using the low Ace top + bottom bushings, since you at least need a low bottom for the geometry to work with an AF1 hanger on these inverted Indy baseplates. I have sets of Kreper kingpins which have tons of threading compared to the Krux, but I don't like how they make contact with the hanger when you turn all the way. So my only option for my nitpickyness was to use the ones that come with the baseplates, and it has enough threads to engage the nylock. I wish there was a truck as turny as Ace that has a normal kingpin that's super low, as I grind a lot and need something that will not hang up all the way to hitting axle:-\

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #614 on: December 12, 2022, 01:43:26 PM »
Was that on the cast or forged plates? and you are using AF1 hangers of I read that post right?

149 forged mids/K DLK/standard bottom washer

ACE regular (classic bottom) Low (classic) top.

Plenty of thread and still very loose.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 04:53:26 PM by Xen »

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #615 on: June 23, 2023, 04:09:11 AM »
Hey guys, I've read through like 13 pages of this thread and see a lot of talk about kingpin clearance and truck height but not a ton about wheel base. What do these trucks do to the wheel base of the deck? I just got a pair and set my board up but it's raining. It feels like the wheel base is a little tighter. I was riding thunder hollows before this. Lately I'm obsessed with wb, currently riding a board that has a wb of 13.88
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 94
« Reply #616 on: June 23, 2023, 07:33:43 AM »
Hey guys, I've read through like 13 pages of this thread and see a lot of talk about kingpin clearance and truck height but not a ton about wheel base. What do these trucks do to the wheel base of the deck? I just got a pair and set my board up but it's raining. It feels like the wheel base is a little tighter. I was riding thunder hollows before this. Lately I'm obsessed with wb, currently riding a board that has a wb of 13.88

If you have the trucks set up on your deck you could measure the distance center axel to axel, subtract the wheelbase from that number and then you get how much the trucks add to the wheelbase. 

sle_epy

« Reply #617 on: June 23, 2023, 07:35:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you have the trucks set up on your deck you could measure the distance center axel to axel, subtract the wheelbase from that number and then you get how much the trucks add to the wheelbase.

Thanks!

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 94
« Reply #618 on: June 23, 2023, 10:34:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks!

No problem, I almost pulled the trigger on some mids too.  wonder what it does to the effective wheelbase compared to my forged hollows which I measured as adding an even 3”

LebowskisRug

« Reply #619 on: June 23, 2023, 11:13:58 AM »
You need to measure both sides several times and average. Forged Hollows at +3.125 and Mids/Standards are +3"

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #620 on: June 23, 2023, 11:33:28 AM »
My forged hollows and ti are also 3” flat due to tightening and compression.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #621 on: June 23, 2023, 04:27:50 PM »
Super subjective, but I thought vs. a thunder or Venture, the wheelbase was perfect……To me Indy does that the best, shit makes sense.  It’s like BBS boards were drilled for Indy’s….

sle_epy

« Reply #622 on: June 23, 2023, 04:41:05 PM »
Super subjective, but I thought vs. a thunder or Venture, the wheelbase was perfect……To me Indy does that the best, shit makes sense.  It’s like BBS boards were drilled for Indy’s….

I got them because someone (friend who owns a shop) told me that Indy mids were the closest to the wheel base of the actual deck compared to all other trucks. I can say it seems like it even from just standing on the board and rolling. It also seems more responsive for tre flips, take less oomph to get them around.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #623 on: June 23, 2023, 06:56:56 PM »
My forged hollows and ti are also 3” flat due to tightening and compression.

This demonstrates how silly it is that we often worry about 1/16" per side when that can vary by our truck tightness and shit.

mstuntbless

• Rep: 12
« Reply #624 on: June 24, 2023, 07:40:20 AM »
Been thinking about mindys. Right now I have an 8.38 manderson shape with standard 149s and 54mm F4s. I love everything about it but the ghost pop is real sometimes. I was thinking about getting forged hollows and just taking the baseplate and matching it with my standard hanger to make my trucks a little lower. Has anyone done this?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #625 on: June 24, 2023, 08:01:01 AM »
i’ve wanted these from the jump

bummed i never got the indy lows, as they seemed very much like orions, aka the truck used in the second best fakie flip of all time. and the truck that many of the 90s dudes that i looked up to were shilling.

when the initial reviews weren’t stellar, i just stuck to the pile of trucks i’d already accumulated

IpathCats

« Reply #626 on: June 24, 2023, 08:30:20 AM »
Truck nerds, I need help.

I skate stage IX 149's at the moment, but I noticed that the Tom Knox trucks are on sale and I'm curious to try a lighter truck, but I noticed that it's a mid profile truck. Now I'm 6'2" tall, is this going to be a pain in the arse to skate? Am I better off with the regular, taller trucks? What do I need to consider? (I've only got experience with standard Indy's)

If you're going by the description "a lightweight, mid profile truck" I don't think you have anything to worry about.

The tom knox trucks aren't actually Indy mids, It's just marketing lingo. What you need to be worried about is the actual height of the truck.

Stage 11 forged trucks are 53.5mm tall, and cast plates are 55mm tall.

iirc stage 9s are actually 53.5 mm tall, so if you're getting the tom knox forged hollows, they will actually be the same height. With all the other benefits of stage 11 vs stage 9.

sle_epy

« Reply #627 on: June 25, 2023, 02:32:32 AM »
Reporting back on the Indy mids... I really like these trucks, first and foremost because they don't let you cheat. You have to be a lot more balanced from jump or the wheel bite is real. They're def going to force me to clean up my form a little. Landing stuff is a lot more satisfying because of it.

Grinds are just really nice and feel sort of softer? The turning radius is amazing compared to thunder. Way more maneuverable without having to have your trucks wildly loose. Thunder bushings are a lot harder but this is some sort of happy medium as far as the Indy stock bushings go.

I also like the weight of the truck, it actually seems to help with some tricks. My thunders always felt kind of light, but these feel just about right and seem to help the board rotate more balanced.

Things I didn't love but will get over: due to the wheel base thing, I had to figure almost all my flip tricks back out. Not the end of the world tho, I walked away feeling good I was capable of figuring it out. Wheel bite sucks but guess I should just get gud.

Ollie's feel more consistent and the weight of the truck seems to help a lot. I also like that they're lower, the tail hits faster and is more predictable when done well. The predictability is kind of nice, it let me focus on other aspects of technique. I haven't ridden trucks that felt so consistent in how they factor in when doing flip tricks.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #628 on: June 30, 2023, 06:56:21 PM »
Reporting back on the Indy mids... I really like these trucks, first and foremost because they don't let you cheat. You have to be a lot more balanced from jump or the wheel bite is real. They're def going to force me to clean up my form a little. Landing stuff is a lot more satisfying because of it.

Grinds are just really nice and feel sort of softer? The turning radius is amazing compared to thunder. Way more maneuverable without having to have your trucks wildly loose. Thunder bushings are a lot harder but this is some sort of happy medium as far as the Indy stock bushings go.

I also like the weight of the truck, it actually seems to help with some tricks. My thunders always felt kind of light, but these feel just about right and seem to help the board rotate more balanced.

Things I didn't love but will get over: due to the wheel base thing, I had to figure almost all my flip tricks back out. Not the end of the world tho, I walked away feeling good I was capable of figuring it out. Wheel bite sucks but guess I should just get gud.

Ollie's feel more consistent and the weight of the truck seems to help a lot. I also like that they're lower, the tail hits faster and is more predictable when done well. The predictability is kind of nice, it let me focus on other aspects of technique. I haven't ridden trucks that felt so consistent in how they factor in when doing flip tricks.

They're 50.5mm tall [forged] , what size wheel are you rocking? I had to drop to thin 51/50mm and harder duro bushings (92+)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 09:32:48 PM by Xen »

sle_epy

« Reply #629 on: June 30, 2023, 07:03:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They're 50.5mm tall, what size wheel are you rocking? I had to drop to 51/50mm and harder duro bushings (92+)

I'm riding 52 mm formula 4s but I've had them for a few months so my guess is they're prob more like 51 or a tiny bit less (I skate a lot of street in Detroit so wheels take a beating). They're naturally looser than thunders, so I ended up tightening the kingpin with prob a 3/4 turn of the bolt.

They are still looser but after a single session it's like I've been skating them forever. Turning on them feels so intuitive and natural that I actually had to back off a little bit because my turns into things were a touch sharper than on thunders, which you have to put some oomph into.

They also made me balance way more. I'm seeing more consistency with flip tricks literally over the course of like a week. Probs never gonna skate anything else. I actually really like the stock bushings. They seem slightly softer than thunders. Landing tricks feels more chill on them.