Author Topic: SOBRIETY  (Read 46773 times)

Ankle_Lift and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

FUCKINGLOUD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
SOBRIETY
« on: September 23, 2019, 09:55:41 AM »
DECIDED TODAY TO STOP DRINKING FOR A FEW MONTHS. DONT DRINK HEAVILY OR TOO OFTEN BUT DO SOCIALLY AND DONT WANT A CRUTCH ANYMORE.

ANYONE ELSE SOBER UP AND CAN SHARE THE GOOD AND BAD FROM WHAT THEYVE EXPERIENCED?

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
Re: SOBRIETY
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 10:14:37 AM »
6+ years. Had no choice but to.

animalflesh

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 10:19:53 AM »
I did 2 years but I drink again.

It’s nice to step away and regain some perspective you might have lost growing up getting high and drunk all the time

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 10:22:54 AM »
Drank too much when I was young. Started smoking weed regulary and hardly ever drink now. Like I don’t think I’ve finished a drink this year.

For a while weed was sort of a problem but I had some other shit I wasn’t addressing. Now I’m With a great girl who absolutely hates weed and all drugs but was willing to let me try cbd type shit before getting on medication again because I hate medication and she worries about it too. Now things have been great. She is happy about my mood and interest in life And us. I’m happier. I was sneaking around smoking around her before and I hated that feeling. Now she tells me to take a hit and relax and it’s cool lol. I’ve also learned how much more I enjoy smoking (actually vaping, yeah it feels lame) weed with lower thc levels in it. It feels like Benzos because my anxiety goes away but I don’t feel regular and drunk like benzos make me. It doesn’t make me all weird feeling. 

baggy spandex

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 10:43:55 AM »
bump when sober

FUCKINGLOUD

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 11:29:02 AM »
I HAD A ROUGH PATCH YEARS AGO WHERE ID PARTY WAY TOO MUCH, HAD TO TAKE A STEP BACK FROM EVERYTHING. PSYCHOLOGICALLY, I DON'T THINK I CAN NECESSARILY USE THAT PERIOD AS A TIME TO GAUGE WHAT BEING TOTALLY SOBER FELT LIKE AS I WAS COMING OFF OF A LOT OF SHIT.

IVE SET A GOAL FOR CHRISTMAS EVE TO NOT DRINK AT ALL, WHICH WILL BE INSANELY DIFFICULT GIVEN ALL THE BULLSHIT I HAVE COMING UP WHERE A DRINK WOULD FIT NICELY (IN-LAWS MEETING FAMILY AND IN-LAWS DONT SPEAK A WORD OF ENGLISH, MY FAMILY IS A BUNCH OF IRISH FUCKS)

SOBER BUMP

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 11:35:51 AM »
are you gonna seriously post in all caps as your thing
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 11:42:22 AM »

Yeah, I think 5inchdick does that.

FUCKINGLOUD

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 11:43:04 AM »

SORRY HARD OF HEARING AND AM FUCKING LOUD

FUCKINGLOUD

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 11:44:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, I think 5inchdick does that.

SOUNDS LIKE A STRONG ALPHA MALE WHO I CAN GET FUCKING LOUD WITH

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 03:10:10 PM »
Do you get full blown wasted at these social situations/events or ?

Algar

• Rep: 28
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 05:11:07 PM »
Turned 35 a week ago, a few days before my birthday decided to take a year off of alchohol.  10 days in and the first few days were hard, now I'm feeling pretty good but I think it could get hard again. I'm coming off drinking 4 or 5 beers every night sometimes more.  hopefully I make it the year and then I'll take it from there and see if I wanna try to moderate or just stay sober.  I might get a little weed for the weekends or something.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 05:34:51 PM »
I THINK THAT ITS ADMIRABLE THAT YOU ARE PROACTIVELY TAKING STEPS TOWARDS LIVING THE LIFE YOUVE ALWAYS WANTED TO LIVE AND BE THE PERSON YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO BE.

AND ISNT THIS CONSTANT PURSUIT OF PERFECTION AND SELF-ACTUALIZATION WHAT SEPARATES MAN FROM BEAST?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Rick_Kane

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 06:38:23 PM »
OP gunning for the worst poster on Slap title. He's got a lot of competition, though. I give him one week tops before his next drink.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 06:47:29 PM »
OP gunning for the worst poster on Slap title. He's got a lot of competition, though. I give him one week tops before his next drink.
I like the it, makes me laugh. The dad guy who keeps starting new topics is in the running though.

FUCKINGLOUD

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2019, 07:52:39 PM »

RICK I TRIED TO DM YOU FOR TIPS BUT YOU WONT TAKE MY MESSAGES

I THINK ILL BE ABLE TO HOLD STRONG ON NOT DRINKING UNTIL XMAS. IN SOME SICK TWIST IF FATE, THE ONLY TIME I FEEL LIKE I NEED TO DRINK IS WHEN IM WITH MY FAMILY. WORK PARTIES AND SOCIALIZING WITH FRIENDS I COULD CARE LESS

SOBER BUMP I DRANK GINGERALE INSTEAD OF BOURBON TONIGHT

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2019, 08:58:40 PM »
I think I've posted about it before, but I'm almost two years totally sober. Last drink was in October 2017.

I mean, I never really had a full-blown problem, but I drank regularly since I was 17. I mainly stopped because I got married and my wife is religious and has never done drugs or drank. She jokes about drinking wine but I don't want to even hear about it.

Also - for me, putting aside the religious/cultural points, drinking stressed me out. I got overly concerned about its long-term effects to my equilibrium and memory, and it's also a stressor due to how it sucks up money. And I'm getting older and have never been really financially stable, so I just started to feel like a loser. The value of giving it up is more mentally, psychologically beneficial.

To be totally honest, when I'm really low and depressed I want to drink still. And it's still a struggle not to get some beer. I miss beer. I even miss the beer thread on Slap. But its arbitrary nature is easier to remember than before.

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2019, 10:19:16 PM »
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2019, 10:28:20 PM »
I think I've posted about it before, but I'm almost two years totally sober. Last drink was in October 2017.

I mean, I never really had a full-blown problem, but I drank regularly since I was 17. I mainly stopped because I got married and my wife is religious and has never done drugs or drank. She jokes about drinking wine but I don't want to even hear about it.

Also - for me, putting aside the religious/cultural points, drinking stressed me out. I got overly concerned about its long-term effects to my equilibrium and memory, and it's also a stressor due to how it sucks up money. And I'm getting older and have never been really financially stable, so I just started to feel like a loser. The value of giving it up is more mentally, psychologically beneficial.

To be totally honest, when I'm really low and depressed I want to drink still. And it's still a struggle not to get some beer. I miss beer. I even miss the beer thread on Slap. But its arbitrary nature is easier to remember than before.
That's where you gotta be careful.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2019, 11:25:00 PM »
I spent 4 + years in canada where i was drinking quite alot every weekend, ever since i got back to Australia ive chilled on it a bit, its nice to recharge a bit, wake up fresh without hangovers on weekend

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2019, 10:00:02 AM »
I spent 4 + years in canada where i was drinking quite alot every weekend, ever since i got back to Australia ive chilled on it a bit, its nice to recharge a bit, wake up fresh without hangovers on weekend

That's crazy! 4 years in Canada and you only drank on weekends, good for you!

Its completely normal in Canada to drink every day, and not small amounts either.

If you drink 24 cans of beer a day that's considered pretty normal.

Anyhow, I quit drinking about 2-3 years ago. I'm happy I did for many reasons. As you get older it's just not worth it.

I've had a beer now and again but I cant even finish one without thinking it's not that good anymore and I just dont finish it.

Gentleman ninja warlock

Handwrecker

• Rep: 2
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2019, 11:33:33 AM »
I stopped drinking ~5 years back. It had turned into a huge, routine waste of money, made me fucking fat, feel like shit after and I could be a real asshole some nights.

There was no exact date or anything, don’t consider it an xStraightEdgex battle for sobriety, but I don’t miss it. Sometimes you’re happier being 50lbs lighter, skating more and not blowing cash on a headache.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2019, 02:07:31 PM »
I stopped drinking ~5 years back. It had turned into a huge, routine waste of money, made me fucking fat, feel like shit after and I could be a real asshole some nights.

There was no exact date or anything, don’t consider it an xStraightEdgex battle for sobriety, but I don’t miss it. Sometimes you’re happier being 50lbs lighter, skating more and not blowing cash on a headache.

This.

The first couple weeks is weird because it feels like you have waaaay more time to do productive things. Then that settles and you just feel way better, sleep better, lose weight, and get alot of shit done. Even hobby wise etc. Days dont feel wasted.

I wake up thinking what can I accomplish today. Where as before I just got into this rut of what do I do till I get off work and drink? It felt like i was always in recovery mode.

Gentleman ninja warlock

theintern43

• Rep: -19
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2019, 02:32:55 PM »
100% ruling out all substances is nearly a cheap way out IMO, the real test is smoking/drinking/using/etc. responsibly

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2019, 12:35:41 AM »
100% ruling out all substances is nearly a cheap way out IMO, the real test is smoking/drinking/using/etc. responsibly

Yepp, because we all know tons of ex heroin addicts that now are only shooting up on Fridays...

One of those "Sounds good. Does not work" kind of things.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2019, 12:50:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yepp, because we all know tons of ex heroin addicts that now are only shooting up on Fridays...

I only drink and do drugs on days that end in the letter "y".

theintern43

• Rep: -19
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2019, 03:18:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I only drink and do drugs on days that end in the letter "y".

there is nothing responsible about using heroin. nothing.  however drinking a few beers on your day off doesnt make you an alcoholic and smoking a bowl in the comfort of your own home doesnt make you a stoner.  Sober people like to replace one addiction with another, exercise, ciggs, daily AA meetings etc.

"sounds good, does not work"...make it work, its hard just like everything else in life

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2019, 04:11:25 AM »
I've been thinking about giving it a go and tell myself maybe I'll start with only drinking on weekends/social events. For the last 5-7 years I've  probably had a couple of beers most every night aside from a couple of 2-3 weeks off here & there. I do really like beer though and that's almost exclusively the only alcohol I drink. My lady quit drinking something like 4 years ago so she'll tell me every once in a while that she thinks I should cut back. I actually just got  coffee substitute that's surprisingly decent. I think I'm gonna try seeing how going caffeine free feels.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2019, 05:03:18 AM »
my wife recently quit and i've been cutting back.

i don't really have interest in quitting all out. my dad only drinks socially which seems like a good approach but used to be a problem for me because my wife and i would drink together so it was always sort of social but now she quit so that would work out much better.

on the flip side i run a small business and some days i'll work a pretty long hard day and be exhausted on a level at the end of the day where walks and skating aren't happening and so i chill with some wine or a beer. i'm thinking about treating drinking more like how i treat exercise. most days i do a fitness class or some kind of intense workout, but some days i'm just not into it and feel like taking it easy. i'll probably aim for that with alcohol. keep it to social events and weekends but chill on the weekends and realize that some days i'm just going to want a drink.

for me there's not huge problems. it makes managing my weight harder is probably the main concern but i workout an hour most days in these intense classes so it kind of balances out. i'm definitely a morning person and pretty hyperactive but it does make me sluggish in the morning and causes problems sleeping. i'm not a grouchy drinker so there's not problems there. i'd probably get more done but i'm already getting a shitload done running a business and having 3 kids about to start investing in property, etc... not trying to minimize anyone else's struggles but been thinking about where i want to move the needle on this a bit lately so feels good to get my thoughts organized a bit.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2019, 05:16:15 AM »
I agree with a lot of what's being said here. I got into a rabbit hole of craft beer a few years ago, like beer you can only buy directly from the brewery, typically sells out the same day, super expensive (a bit supreme like now that I think about it). I put on a ton of weight cause I was drinking them like normal beers 3-5 pints a night (doesn't sound like much but most of them are like 8-11% ABV) plus they have a much higher calorie level than normal beers. I was waking up hungover as fuck, bloated and fat. Wasn't skating much cause I felt like shit all day, then rinse and repeat.

Woke up one day and my pants didn't fit, it was then I decided to change. I started running and going to the gym, drinking way less. Went from 30-40 of these pints a week to maybe 5-6. I lost 50 lbs, I get out skating at least twice a week for a few hours, which is about all I can spare with 3 kids and a wife at home, pretty much traded the time I was going to breweries and picking up cans of beer for skating. Now I'll drink one with dinner or after the kids are in bed while I'm watching something on TV. I don't buy nearly as much beer as I used to, I used to go to almost every weekly release at 2-3 breweries near me. Now I'll hit like one brewery a month if it's something that sounds good or something I've had before and enjoy.

So not entirely sober but definitely turned around from where I was headed. Feel much better now and happy I actually get out and skate
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma