Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4806857 times)

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 535
  • One Trick Pony
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #31860 on: August 27, 2022, 09:02:22 PM »
I’d like to think I’ve reach goldilocks level with this

Enjoi 8.5
149 Ti
53 F4 radials (from 2019 but I finally have more to replace these)
Swiss
Mob
Ti bolts

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #31861 on: August 28, 2022, 04:06:15 PM »
Expand Quote

glue 8.3
ace 44
big spits

fantastic setup
[close]

Sky High Milwaukee? Bought my first ever board from the original location on Hwy 100 in Greenfield
yup

shoutout aaron

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #31862 on: August 28, 2022, 04:28:19 PM »

Christmas Complete

Quasi 8.0 (first PS board)
Royal 139 ultralights
52mm Spitfire F4 101d classics (first formula fours for me)
Bones swiss
Jessup
Diamond 7/8 P-Rod hardware (I liked the colors)

Decided to try the Royals because of the reviews on here. Man they TURN. I cranked them down probably even more than I realistically should and I still feel like I'm riding a surf board. After spending 10 years on venture lows I'm not sure if I'll be able to get used to them.

opesorry

• Rep: 21
« Reply #31863 on: August 28, 2022, 05:34:07 PM »

Sci-Fi 8.0
Indy 139s
F4 52s
Reds
Shortys
Jessup

I regret not grabbing this deck when I had the chance, would have had a similar setup and it looks so good

LebowskisRug

« Reply #31864 on: August 28, 2022, 07:31:10 PM »
Atlas has that Sci Fi left in 8" on their site @opesorry

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #31865 on: August 28, 2022, 07:35:57 PM »

Christmas Complete

Quasi 8.0 (first PS board)
Royal 139 ultralights
52mm Spitfire F4 101d classics (first formula fours for me)
Bones swiss
Jessup
Diamond 7/8 P-Rod hardware (I liked the colors)

Decided to try the Royals because of the reviews on here. Man they TURN. I cranked them down probably even more than I realistically should and I still feel like I'm riding a surf board. After spending 10 years on venture lows I'm not sure if I'll be able to get used to them.

I’d suggest with the royals give them a fair shot. The bushings harden up a bit. Still very surfy but they get more stable at center. I didn’t give them a fair shot after a few seshs (maybe an hour or so combined.) threw them back on last week and still kinda too lose for me started swapping bushings out. Didn’t like how they felt and put the stock ones back in and I found my self not having them as cranked down. I have about 2 threads showing maybe 3 now and they feel nice at center and still carvy. Sorry this is so long but give them a few weeks and see if the bushings firm up for you before swapping them out.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31866 on: August 29, 2022, 08:55:24 AM »
welcome bird brain on evil twin - 8.75x32.375x14.75" N/T: 6.75" + jessup
royal ultra light 159 + bones hard + extra flat washers
spitfire f4 classic 52mm
mini logo + spacers
shorty's
total wb 17.875"

Why the washers on the baseplate of the truck?

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #31867 on: August 29, 2022, 09:02:30 AM »
Raises up the Bones hard bushing to mimic the height of the stock bushing, which is a tall barrel.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 12:33:20 PM by MysticalTypeExperience »

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #31868 on: August 29, 2022, 10:28:21 AM »
welcome bird brain on evil twin - 8.75x32.375x14.75" N/T: 6.75" + jessup

Such a bad ass graphic

gmld

• Rep: 9
« Reply #31869 on: August 29, 2022, 03:00:43 PM »
Polar P9
5.8's
F4 full conical 52mm

Should i keep ventures on or switch to 149 Indy hollows?  :D

Radim

• Rep: 12
« Reply #31870 on: August 30, 2022, 04:02:27 AM »
Street setup:
Girl 8.1 x 31.75   14.00
Venture 5.2 Lights High, hard bushings
Bones STF 52 V1 99a  (alternatively Spitfire F4 99a)
MOB, Bones Big Balls

Deck originally G052 8.25 x 31.9 resized to my preference (narrowed width and slightly shortened kicks). This batch of wood is thick and heavy, but maybe due to this board does not lost its pop. Nice fingers of flat, work really well with Ventures (and with Tensors), with Indies not so much. For durability reasons now I skate STFs instead of Spitfires (which I like better, but I am flatspotting them quite easy in classic shape), they are definitely more fast and flat spot resistant.

Cruiser setup:
5Boro 8.0 x 32    14.25     
Indy 139 Titanium
Ricta Clouds 55   86a
Jessup Ultra, Bones Reds

Cruiser board for commuting to the job and for winter indoor skating in plywood skatepark.
I always wanted to try a South Central wood, because it is not very common here in Europe. Stiff wood, poppy. Surprisingly light board, but the wood is a bit overdryed (as some DSM batches i´ve experienced with EU Zero decks) so I experienced a tendency for easy chipping when skating it in a concrete park. Realized that 14.25 don´t work for me in tech-street, so thats why I have it as cruiser board now.
Fountain of Youth since 1995. Thank you Skateboarding!

Creature 8.0 - Venture 5.2 - F4 52/99a

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #31871 on: August 30, 2022, 06:41:31 AM »
Polar P9
5.8's
F4 full conical 52mm

I have this graphic in the collection stack, it's so good!

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #31872 on: August 30, 2022, 07:10:58 AM »
Polar P9
5.8's
F4 full conical 52mm

Do what feels right.

gmld

« Reply #31873 on: August 30, 2022, 07:22:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Polar P9
5.8's
F4 full conical 52mm

[close]
Do what feels right.

I kept ventures on and had a sesh today, was nice and funny. I'm gonna keep It like this for the moment and skate It like this. I Was kinda worried about the longer wb ( i usually skate shorter wb) but felt alright.

gmld

« Reply #31874 on: August 30, 2022, 07:47:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Polar P9
5.8's
F4 full conical 52mm

[close]

Yeah looks so nice! I bought the deck from a friend Who cruised on It for Just a day or something, and It had 3 stickers on It. I dont usually like stickers on my deck, so i pulled them off and on the First sticker the graphic under It came off. I'm not the guy Who cares a lot about the integrity of the graphic, but if Is getting messed from something that Is not me skating It (a damn sticker), It sucks a bit but whatever, it's cool anyway :D.
 I cant really understand what Is that doll about...but yeah i love how the night photo looks. I took this deck because of the shape; before this i skated the 1991jr and the 1992, so now im skating this P9 shape.   

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31875 on: August 30, 2022, 08:57:46 PM »

Uma Landsleds Maité Steenhoudt Eyeballs 9.785" x 31.3" / 14.3" WB Deck on Zaddy Shape (it's basically the Polar Dane 1 shape)
Independent 159 Standards with IKP baseplates and Bones medium bushings
Powell Peralta Dragon Formula 56mm 93a
Bones Super Reds Ceramics
Independent x Slayer 1" hardware
Jessup Ultra

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #31876 on: August 30, 2022, 09:18:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Polar P9
5.8's
F4 full conical 52mm

[close]

[close]

Yeah looks so nice! I bought the deck from a friend Who cruised on It for Just a day or something, and It had 3 stickers on It. I dont usually like stickers on my deck, so i pulled them off and on the First sticker the graphic under It came off. I'm not the guy Who cares a lot about the integrity of the graphic, but if Is getting messed from something that Is not me skating It (a damn sticker), It sucks a bit but whatever, it's cool anyway :D.
 I cant really understand what Is that doll about...but yeah i love how the night photo looks. I took this deck because of the shape; before this i skated the 1991jr and the 1992, so now im skating this P9 shape.   
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astro_Boy

The doll is Astro boy, atomic powered robot boy made to low key made by a scientist after his son died. He has rockets in his boots and machine guns in his butt. Really old Japanese character.

That’s that’s a night scape with Tokyo tower in the background so I can only assume shin is from that area

Coldcut

• Rep: 34
« Reply #31877 on: August 31, 2022, 03:34:05 AM »

Uma Landsleds Maité Steenhoudt Eyeballs 9.785" x 31.3" / 14.3" WB Deck on Zaddy Shape (it's basically the Polar Dane 1 shape)
Independent 159 Standards with IKP baseplates and Bones medium bushings
Powell Peralta Dragon Formula 56mm 93a
Bones Super Reds Ceramics
Independent x Slayer 1" hardware
Jessup Ultra

Sick shape and especially the graphic!
Brings Hellsing to my mind ;D

Shagohod

• Rep: 6
  • la li lu le lo
« Reply #31878 on: August 31, 2022, 07:43:53 AM »
Street setup:
Girl 8.1 x 31.75   14.00
Venture 5.2 Lights High, hard bushings
Bones STF 52 V1 99a  (alternatively Spitfire F4 99a)
MOB, Bones Big Balls

Deck originally G052 8.25 x 31.9 resized to my preference (narrowed width and slightly shortened kicks). This batch of wood is thick and heavy, but maybe due to this board does not lost its pop. Nice fingers of flat, work really well with Ventures (and with Tensors), with Indies not so much. For durability reasons now I skate STFs instead of Spitfires (which I like better, but I am flatspotting them quite easy in classic shape), they are definitely more fast and flat spot resistant.

Cruiser setup:
5Boro 8.0 x 32    14.25     
Indy 139 Titanium
Ricta Clouds 55   86a
Jessup Ultra, Bones Reds

Cruiser board for commuting to the job and for winter indoor skating in plywood skatepark.
I always wanted to try a South Central wood, because it is not very common here in Europe. Stiff wood, poppy. Surprisingly light board, but the wood is a bit overdryed (as some DSM batches i´ve experienced with EU Zero decks) so I experienced a tendency for easy chipping when skating it in a concrete park. Realized that 14.25 don´t work for me in tech-street, so thats why I have it as cruiser board now.

Us 8" riders seem to be a rare breed around these parts of slap hah. I've been contemplating setting up a board similar to your street one... I want to try crail wood now that it's "better" as it's been a long time since i've rode a girl/chocolate. Thinking of buying a set of venture standard high 5.2's for it too. we'll see... the madness has given me quite a collection of stuff that i'd rather not waste. May have to try a Girl deck with the 5.2 low's i have on ice for a nice 2000's setup.
Let us all take a moment of silence for all our brothers and sisters who are dealing with truck madness. We have reached page 100 and shown the world that it’s not easy, but we’re strong as one.

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #31879 on: August 31, 2022, 03:07:41 PM »
Street setup:

Girl 8.1 x 31.75   14.00

Deck originally G052 8.25 x 31.9 resized to my preference

favorite 8.25 shape, in just about my favorite width (would have gone to an 8" straight, but tbh, wouldn't even know how to properly start the process). Congratulations, man!

gmld

« Reply #31880 on: August 31, 2022, 07:39:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Polar P9
5.8's
F4 full conical 52mm

[close]

[close]

[close]

The doll is Astro boy, atomic powered robot boy made to low key made by a scientist after his son died. He has rockets in his boots and machine guns in his butt. Really old Japanese character.

That’s that’s a night scape with Tokyo tower in the background so I can only assume shin is from that area

Wow thanks for the Infos, that sounds interesting. So it Is a character from manga stuff

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #31881 on: August 31, 2022, 08:29:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Polar P9
5.8's
F4 full conical 52mm

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Wow thanks for the Infos, that sounds interesting. So it Is a character from manga stuff

Shin isn't from Tokyo IIRC but yup Astro Boy was huge. The creator of Astro Boy was basically the equivalent of Gonz to other manga artists. Very sick graphic. How do you like it on Ventures?

Radim

« Reply #31882 on: September 01, 2022, 01:08:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Street setup:

Girl 8.1 x 31.75   14.00

Deck originally G052 8.25 x 31.9 resized to my preference
[close]

favorite 8.25 shape, in just about my favorite width (would have gone to an 8" straight, but tbh, wouldn't even know how to properly start the process). Congratulations, man!
well, it´s about rasper and patience).
This shape is a bit tricky to adjust, due to fact that its originally tapered from nose to tail, so 8.25 is in the nose part and around 8.1 at the tail part. so a lot of measuring during the process.

Radim

« Reply #31883 on: September 01, 2022, 01:26:03 AM »
Us 8" riders seem to be a rare breed around these parts of slap hah. I've been contemplating setting up a board similar to your street one... I want to try crail wood now that it's "better" as it's been a long time since i've rode a girl/chocolate. Thinking of buying a set of venture standard high 5.2's for it too. we'll see... the madness has given me quite a collection of stuff that i'd rather not waste. May have to try a Girl deck with the 5.2 low's i have on ice for a nice 2000's setup.
Yeah, I was suprised when I came back to skating after 15y hiatus in 2019, how the "new normal" is big these days. Being used to skate 7.75 and mid to puff shoes, completely opposite then now with these slim vulcs and 8.25-8.5 boards.

I think Venture lows will work great for you too, if the deck will have medium to steep kicks.

Just be careful about new crail wood especially when shopping online. I have posted in different thread, that wood stiffness and feel from Dailang Huahong woodshop where the deck are pressed varied a lot in last 2 years. For example this Malto deck is heavy and stiff, no chips, nothing. I purchased the Malto 8inch month later and wood was crazy flex a soggy (I returned it). Another chocolate deck for my daughter last year soggy as well (but she doesnt care). Last, Anderson Chocolate 8" last year was adequate, not as heavy and stiff as malto, but also not soggy. So basically all kind of wood from the same woodshop during two years. Very inconsitent wood batches.

But if you like shape of crailtap decks, try Poetic Collective boards. They are basically the same shape, 14 inch in 8" shape , only longer tail then crailtap, and they are pressed in Canada by Control, instead of China. Unfortunately I do not have my personal experience with them.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #31884 on: September 01, 2022, 07:21:00 AM »
The deck madness has been getting me lately, hopefully this is the cure

8.75 Uma with a 14.3 wb, this thing has a massive nose.
pepper grip (feels weird to apply but nice underfoot)
159 Indy standards
shield less big balls
54 F$ conicals
Indy hardware

Hey how did this end up treating you? I’m bout to set my 8.75 Uma up and after measuring the 32.8 length I’m getting cold feet. Did it cause you any issue or the long nose and tail?

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #31885 on: September 01, 2022, 08:56:12 AM »

polar oski 8.5
jessup grip
independent stage 11 149 with orange conical aftermarkets
bones stf 103a 52mm V1 joslin
bones reds
diamond 7/8" allen hardware

nike sb koston 3s

did not like the graphic and played around with my girlfriend's nail polish remover

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1314
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #31886 on: September 01, 2022, 05:11:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Polar P9
5.8's
F4 full conical 52mm

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Shin isn't from Tokyo IIRC but yup Astro Boy was huge. The creator of Astro Boy was basically the equivalent of Gonz to other manga artists. Very sick graphic. How do you like it on Ventures?
Osama Tezuka quite literally invented this shit. If you search Godfather of Manga, his bio comes up. Astro Boy is a character from the 50s and is about as old as manga gets. That Shin graphic is just super.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #31887 on: September 01, 2022, 06:55:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Polar P9
5.8's
F4 full conical 52mm

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Osama Tezuka quite literally invented this shit. If you search Godfather of Manga, his bio comes up. Astro Boy is a character from the 50s and is about as old as manga gets. That Shin graphic is just super.

The train station plays the Astro Boy theme when the doors are closing too
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #31888 on: September 01, 2022, 07:29:58 PM »

Polar Hjalte 9.0
Ace AF1 66 Hollow
1/8th risers
F4 OG Classic 55mm
Swiss 6

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #31889 on: September 01, 2022, 07:30:59 PM »

Polar Hjalte 9.0
Ace AF1 66 Hollow
1/8th risers
F4 OG Classic 55mm
Swiss 6

Well- we have the grip tape winner of the month already.