Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4289029 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1376
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #32460 on: November 20, 2022, 09:24:14 PM »
@FatGuy92 according to Tactics the tail is 6.5", rest of the specs are on going versus the Habitat website:
https://www.tactics.com/habitat/melange-80-skateboard-deck

I'm browsing the Habitat website and it looks like they've used a few different molds, at least 2 PS Stix (NASA and Twin Peaks series) but mostly BBS.

BBS
8.0 x 31.625 x 14.25 (Melange / Stefan Rallysprot)
8.0 x 31.625 x 14 (Suciu Topographic Series)

PS Stix
8.0 x 31.625 x 14 (Twin Peaks)
8.0 x 31.25 x 14.25 (NASA)

Alien Workshop's current lineup online are all BBS.

Looks like they gave Suciu and Frankie Spears the same 8.38 Twin Tip model
https://habitatskateboards.com/products/suciu-lone-wolf-8-375-twin
https://www.alienworkshop.com/products/frankie-revelation-8-375-8-5
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88Ē - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85Ē- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09Ē - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04Ē - 51.82m

dr.prestige

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 133
  • Burnt to a crisp
« Reply #32461 on: November 21, 2022, 12:29:18 AM »
My interpretation of a Video Days era setup. Skating in the very early 90s was an interesting time, when wheels were just beginning to shrink, boards were still vaguely fishlike and vert was on the verge of not being cool anymore. I took some creative liberties with this one, I didnít make it as accurate as Iíve made my other historical recreation setups. I read a bunch of Product Patrols from around this timeframe to try to figure out the appropriate wheel sizes and hardnesses as well as board widths, I ended up going with a skinnier board than they probably would have been skating around then as I didnít feel like skating a ~10Ē

Tactics shop board 9.125 at its widest
Grind King Disruptors 6.0
NFG squares 54mm 95a that I tried to dye half black along with some 60mms but they turned out half green instead. I let them sit in the dye for a little over a week in my garage while I took a trip to the East Coast. See below
Bronson G3s
Random 1Ē hardware and 1/8Ē risers I had lying around
Jessup with an Atlas sticker under the line at the back truck. I was trying to copy Mike Carrollís grip job in the following video starting at about 40 seconds. I didnít really pull it off as well as I wanted to.

https://youtu.be/jJ4wnbk1oho

Quote from: doublesteveburger
i love cooking potatoes on my pan then when they're almost ready i add strips of bacon

once the bacon is done the potatoes are perfect and mikey alfred fucking sucks

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
  • Long Live the New Flesh
« Reply #32462 on: November 21, 2022, 07:43:59 AM »
My interpretation of a Video Days era setup. Skating in the very early 90s was an interesting time, when wheels were just beginning to shrink, boards were still vaguely fishlike and vert was on the verge of not being cool anymore. I took some creative liberties with this one, I didnít make it as accurate as Iíve made my other historical recreation setups. I read a bunch of Product Patrols from around this timeframe to try to figure out the appropriate wheel sizes and hardnesses as well as board widths, I ended up going with a skinnier board than they probably would have been skating around then as I didnít feel like skating a ~10Ē

NFG squares 54mm 95a that I tried to dye half black along with some 60mms but they turned out half green instead. I let them sit in the dye for a little over a week in my garage while I took a trip to the East Coast. See below
Bronson G3s
Jessup with an Atlas sticker under the line at the back truck. I was trying to copy Mike Carrollís grip job in the following video starting at about 40 seconds. I didnít really pull it off as well as I wanted to.

What an awesome homage set up. Great job. Love the dipped wheels
Not everyone is made for 666' fakie to fakie sliders! My godt it's going to be a blood bath on these streets.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 915
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #32463 on: November 21, 2022, 11:30:33 AM »
I absolutely woulda skated this set up in 1991 except for with the stage Vs that I had and loved. Looks like a World based set up to me. It's cool to know that I am not the only person trying to do period correct set ups with current gear. I picked it up after seeing some of Destroyed Wood's videos and then reading through the scans of Product Patrol and old Thrashers in general.
Amazon Hesh

Filthyphil222

• Rep: 1
« Reply #32464 on: November 21, 2022, 05:34:14 PM »
Deck: FA 8.25
Trucks: Indyís 139 . Stacked 4 washers inside (pretty much like 144ís)
Bearings: Andale blue
Wheels: Spits f4 classics 52mm

« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 05:49:28 PM by Filthyphil222 »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #32465 on: November 21, 2022, 06:03:20 PM »

Those dipped wheels are really sick! What kind of dye did you use?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85Ē- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04Ē - 51.82m

first_ave_dunks_are_sexy

• Rep: 1
« Reply #32466 on: November 21, 2022, 09:32:42 PM »
i ride an 8.25 familia skateshop deck, thunder 148 team hollows with bones soft bushings, spitfire conical full 52mm, pepper grip, bones swiss bearings

dr.prestige

• Rep: 133
  • Burnt to a crisp
« Reply #32467 on: November 22, 2022, 09:36:17 AM »
Expand Quote

Bronson G3s

[close]

Thanks, I kinda wish they came out black but I'm still happy with how they turned out.

Expand Quote
[close]
I absolutely woulda skated this set up in 1991 except for with the stage Vs that I had and loved. Looks like a World based set up to me. It's cool to know that I am not the only person trying to do period correct set ups with current gear. I picked it up after seeing some of Destroyed Wood's videos and then reading through the scans of Product Patrol and old Thrashers in general.

Haha nice. Yeah it's World based, I partially used photos of Jason Lee skating bLind boards for reference. Those Product Patrols are pretty rad, it's cool to hear Jake's commentary on the equipment changing as rapidly as it was at that time.

Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks, I used Rit All Purpose black dye. I got 2 8 oz bottles from Target, I think they're like 5 bucks a bottle. I got an old takeout tray and poked some holes in them, then slid some chopsticks through the holes and put the wheels through the chopsticks. I then taped the wheels down so that they wouldn't touch each other or sit crooked. Then I poured the dye straight from the bottle into the container and let them sit. What I've heard is that the more correct way to do it is to dilute the dye with hot water and stir on a stove, but I wasn't sure how to do that and also get the half dye that I wanted. I'll probably do that next time, when I plan on dying the whole wheel.

Quote from: doublesteveburger
i love cooking potatoes on my pan then when they're almost ready i add strips of bacon

once the bacon is done the potatoes are perfect and mikey alfred fucking sucks

Bo Turners Masonic Fish

• Rep: 14
« Reply #32468 on: November 22, 2022, 09:49:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Bronson G3s

[close]

[close]

Thanks, I kinda wish they came out black but I'm still happy with how they turned out.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Haha nice. Yeah it's World based, I partially used photos of Jason Lee skating bLind boards for reference. Those Product Patrols are pretty rad, it's cool to hear Jake's commentary on the equipment changing as rapidly as it was at that time.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks, I used Rit All Purpose black dye. I got 2 8 oz bottles from Target, I think they're like 5 bucks a bottle. I got an old takeout tray and poked some holes in them, then slid some chopsticks through the holes and put the wheels through the chopsticks. I then taped the wheels down so that they wouldn't touch each other or sit crooked. Then I poured the dye straight from the bottle into the container and let them sit. What I've heard is that the more correct way to do it is to dilute the dye with hot water and stir on a stove, but I wasn't sure how to do that and also get the half dye that I wanted. I'll probably do that next time, when I plan on dying the whole wheel.

Have yet to try it on wheels, but I've had really good luck getting true color on plastics and synthetic fabrics with the Rit dye that is for synthetics specifically. I've used it to dye a couple pair of pants and it has also colored the plastic buttons really well.

Also, setup looks great. Ran that shape a few months ago and it was really nice. Like a slightly larger Polar surf.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 361
« Reply #32469 on: November 22, 2022, 11:28:20 PM »
@FatGuy92 according to Tactics the tail is 6.5", rest of the specs are on going versus the Habitat website:
https://www.tactics.com/habitat/melange-80-skateboard-deck

I'm browsing the Habitat website and it looks like they've used a few different molds, at least 2 PS Stix (NASA and Twin Peaks series) but mostly BBS.

BBS
8.0 x 31.625 x 14.25 (Melange / Stefan Rallysprot)
8.0 x 31.625 x 14 (Suciu Topographic Series)

PS Stix
8.0 x 31.625 x 14 (Twin Peaks)
8.0 x 31.25 x 14.25 (NASA)

Alien Workshop's current lineup online are all BBS.

Looks like they gave Suciu and Frankie Spears the same 8.38 Twin Tip model
https://habitatskateboards.com/products/suciu-lone-wolf-8-375-twin
https://www.alienworkshop.com/products/frankie-revelation-8-375-8-5

Thanks for compiling the dims!

poodude

• Rep: 6
« Reply #32470 on: November 23, 2022, 05:13:50 PM »
New cruiser setup; fun to carve around on and go fast.
Deck: Heroin 9.125 w/ Mob
Trucks: Indy 159s with shock pads
Hardware: Shorty's 1.25
Bearings: Zealous (super fast)
Wheels: 60mm 78a Ricta Clouds

« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 05:21:21 PM by poodude »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 375
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #32471 on: November 24, 2022, 01:48:44 PM »
New cruiser setup; fun to carve around on and go fast.
Deck: Heroin 9.125 w/ Mob
Trucks: Indy 159s with shock pads
Hardware: Shorty's 1.25
Bearings: Zealous (super fast)
Wheels: 60mm 78a Ricta Clouds

This looks awesome. I have these wheels in 52mm. Can't imagine how fast these 60mm can be. Stay safe out there.

tom

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 652
  • the moon rules
« Reply #32472 on: November 24, 2022, 03:29:32 PM »
A little something for me:

Passport 8.25
101 Radial Slim 52ís. A little slippery at the park this morning. The OG classics I was skating before didnít like getting up onto pool coping. These might not either based on shape
148 Thunder titaniums
Freshly cleaned and lubed Swiss ceramics

Something for the people at the skatepark that may not be able to afford new gear. Purging the closet. I get enough free stuff on occasion that it all evens out in the end

fuck you bama

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 105
« Reply #32473 on: November 24, 2022, 04:05:12 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/ClXO2F-PjkIVj2dbx1YKq3T895tRLoaLeqnCsA0/

Happy Thanksgiving!

Chocolate 8.375 x 32 G030 shape
Thunder 148 with the 95 bushings
Quantum Metallics
1 Diamond bolts allen
Currently skating the Lakai Atlantics.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #32474 on: November 24, 2022, 06:25:09 PM »
Something for the people at the skatepark that may not be able to afford new gear. Purging the closet. I get enough free stuff on occasion that it all evens out in the end

New shoes and decks at the park?! Big dick energy, love it!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85Ē- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04Ē - 51.82m

The.Skate.Father

• Rep: 37
« Reply #32475 on: November 24, 2022, 07:53:14 PM »
Early Christmas present since I'll be at work for Xmas and new years.

FA 8.25 Embossed
Modus grip
Thunder Ti 149 w/ bones hardcore hard top in the bottom and hardcore med top on top.
Pig Phillips hardware
Crupie ODB 51mm
Rush 5's popped shields
Just call me Daddy.

Schinken

• Rep: 36
« Reply #32476 on: November 25, 2022, 05:34:04 AM »

Creature 8.38
Venture 6.1
Bones 55mm Stf99a

The.Skate.Father

« Reply #32477 on: November 25, 2022, 05:56:09 AM »

Creature 8.38
Venture 6.1
Bones 55mm Stf99a

Love the 6.1s on a 8.38 that was my last setup!
Just call me Daddy.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -688
« Reply #32478 on: November 25, 2022, 10:20:48 AM »

Spanly 8.125 mellow
Venture hollow low 5.2
Powell dragons

So far I'm loving this.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 652
  • the moon rules
« Reply #32479 on: November 25, 2022, 10:39:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

@rocklobster itís the start of the holiday season here. The shoes and boards were all too small for me. Sometimes itís just easier to give it away in hopes that someone that really needs it will be the one to take it
fuck you bama

Argyle

• Rep: 35
« Reply #32480 on: November 25, 2022, 10:43:52 AM »

New new

Hockey 8.5 Andrew Allen
Ace 44 classic with a couple washers inside
1/8 Risers
More SML Mike Arnold wheels
LRAB's or chuck 70s

Only managed to use the ace for 10 minutes before the rain and one ride on grind. The bushings feel so soft and a bit mad compared to thunders but very fun.

Schinken

• Rep: 36
« Reply #32481 on: November 25, 2022, 11:21:16 AM »
Expand Quote

Creature 8.38
Venture 6.1
Bones 55mm Stf99a
[close]

Best setup I've had in a while. The 6.1s are quite surfy since I
replaced the crumbled bushings with bones medium.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #32482 on: November 25, 2022, 01:20:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Creature 8.38
Venture 6.1
Bones 55mm Stf99a
[close]

[close]

The Venture bushings that came out recently are really good.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 360
« Reply #32483 on: November 25, 2022, 04:40:42 PM »

I have hella in my stack I can purge. Iím gonna do this. Maybe buy a few BOGO shoes from my local skate to include in the free pile.

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 140
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #32484 on: November 25, 2022, 05:11:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If i could +rep you i would. Thats some top g shit

The.Skate.Father

« Reply #32485 on: November 25, 2022, 06:38:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Creature 8.38
Venture 6.1
Bones 55mm Stf99a
[close]

[close]

Yuh that one. I did top bushings on top and bottom makes it nice and loose
Just call me Daddy.

GrapeApeAffe

• Rep: 3
« Reply #32486 on: November 25, 2022, 09:21:15 PM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Use Rit Dyemore, itís for synthetics. 

If you want to dye the whole wheel rit has a tutorial
https://www.ritdye.com/2021/01/18/how-to-dye-roller-skate-wheels/

If you want to do half again, just mix the whole bottle with a pot of boiled water.   Then put it in your container and let it sit for a day to ensure the dye takes

Regular Rit dye does work but it takes weeks.

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 52
« Reply #32487 on: November 26, 2022, 04:10:26 AM »
Antihero mis-registered
8.5 x 31.75 x 14
Axled venture 5.6
Spitfire 52mm F4 99 classics
Bones big balls
Pepper grip
Thin stripe gang

FUBAR

• Rep: 144
« Reply #32488 on: November 26, 2022, 08:31:30 AM »
Real Full 8.3 (added top pic in case you want to see the shape)
5.8 V Lights showing a little axle
New 51mm Big Heads

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #32489 on: November 26, 2022, 08:38:23 AM »

My second Ishod 8.5 twin tail, after Roman number I, this is IV - curious to see the difference w/ Jessup (a first for me, coming from many sheets of Miles, but I got the Jessup for free with the board so why not set it up);

Indy 149 hollows - recently a nut came loose so I might have to change them shortly, I have some forged hollows on ice but did not want to set up a Christmas complete if I can avoid it, they have such a lovely crooked groove just now;

Spitfire classics 52mm from that crazy Bonkers sale for EUR 18 w/ Bones Swiss 6 Balls;

Diamond 7/8 Allen bolts.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro