Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4807549 times)

juniormint

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 140
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #32760 on: January 29, 2023, 11:34:03 PM »
Huffer was fun but ready to have a nose again.

Sci-fi 8.75
Thunder 151 w real 1/8 risers
Worn down 56mm conical full 99a
Bronze
Shop grip

231st Street

• Rep: -198
« Reply #32761 on: January 30, 2023, 03:48:39 AM »

Son asked me to post his current board.  He's 6! 

Started as a 7.75 or so mini alien complete (not purchased at tactics despite the sticker) at 3 or 4.  He finally asked me for "more stable trucks that don't turn". 

I grew up on ventures but pretend to surf on Indys as an old man so didn't think to set him up on ventures, but rebuilt him some few year old ventures with not sure what bushings, old bones Swiss and some formula four tablets 52 mm (all stuff I had laying around from a few years ago). 

Pro-tip: For those with kids, make sure they have good bearings.  He has now given his scooter to his baby sister and is fully standing up at the local DIY whereas pre ventures on the complete trucks was buttboarding mostly. It only took one day of getting ventures, spits, bones on there to really build his confidence.  I felt he had to experience having a junky complete, but probably should have offered to swap stuff out before he pushed for it.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32762 on: January 30, 2023, 02:46:49 PM »
it was a rare 50+ degree day in January so I decided to set up a post-xmas complete and go for a quick sesh at the curb spot to shake off some rust. Every component of this complete was purchased during the holiday sales for a minimum 20% of.

Enjoi Enzo 8.625 - love the shape on this one, extremely similar to the Polar popsicles, big full nose with a tapered tail. Labeled as mellow concave and it is, which I also love
Ace AF1 Hollow 60s - stock, except switching out for a flat top washer. First time stepping up to these from being on the AF1 Lows for the past year
Spitfire F4 lil smokies 50mm conical full - nuff said, perfect wheel imo
CCS ceramics - these didn't spin very well at all in my hand out of the box so i was worried, but once I got rolling around on them they were great
Shorty's Lights 7/8 allen

Once I set this whole thing up, I wasn't really stoked on it because the graphic plus all the new components really made it look like a little kids board or a tech deck, but I was OK with that since I knew my sessions will probably be limited on it during the winter and I'll switch to something I'm more stoked on once the warmer weather hits. The height difference of the hollow AF1s was instantly noticeable and I kept getting ghost pop on my flatground tricks. Definitely going to swap these hangers onto my old low baseplates.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 537
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #32763 on: January 30, 2023, 03:40:33 PM »
Enjoi graphics sand off real easy, just saying

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #32764 on: January 30, 2023, 04:45:56 PM »
I’ve got another one on ice because they were like $26 each in the dwindle sale, so that’s good to know!

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #32765 on: January 30, 2023, 06:41:41 PM »

i had one of the wrestler boards and it took forever for the graphic to rub off, like way longer than any other board

Daewons front truck

• Rep: 30
« Reply #32766 on: January 30, 2023, 06:50:32 PM »

Started as a 7.75 or so mini alien complete (not purchased at tactics despite the sticker) at 3 or 4.  He finally asked me for "more stable trucks that don't turn". 

I grew up on ventures but pretend to surf on Indys as an old man so didn't think to set him up on ventures, but rebuilt him some few year old ventures with not sure what bushings, old bones Swiss and some formula four tablets 52 mm (all stuff I had laying around from a few years ago). 

Pro-tip: For those with kids, make sure they have good bearings.  He has now given his scooter to his baby sister and is fully standing up at the local DIY whereas pre ventures on the complete trucks was buttboarding mostly. It only took one day of getting ventures, spits, bones on there to really build his confidence.  I felt he had to experience having a junky complete, but probably should have offered to swap stuff out before he pushed for it.

It's wholesome and rad you posted your kids setup, when my son is old enough I imagine I'll get him a board as well anyway

8.38 FA Deck
Raw/black Tensor Alloys
52mm Darkstar Wheels ($12.99!)
Oust moc 7 bearings (makes Bronson g3s look like SF cheapshots)
Pig Griptape
Diamond 7/8s Allen

Also pictured is the 8.0 Globe Deck (couldn't resist for 14.99)

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #32767 on: January 30, 2023, 07:33:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It's wholesome and rad you posted your kids setup, when my son is old enough I imagine I'll get him a board as well anyway

8.38 FA Deck
Raw/black Tensor Alloys
Pig Griptape
Diamond 7/8s Allen

How did you come across that $15 deck?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 537
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #32768 on: January 30, 2023, 08:58:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i had one of the wrestler boards and it took forever for the graphic to rub off, like way longer than any other board

All I know is I took a rough sanding block from work, to handful of boards, some brand new some older stock and they sanded off in under 5 minutes clean ply, I did one two days ago.

logjammin

• Rep: 333
« Reply #32769 on: February 01, 2023, 08:44:55 AM »

AWS 9.0 13.6 WB hole choice
1-1/8" Shorty's Hardware
1/4" Indy hard risers
Ace 44 AF1 lows
Spitfire Radial Full 56mm 97a
Bronson Raw Bearings
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 09:01:17 PM by logjammin »

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #32770 on: February 01, 2023, 09:57:23 AM »

Exactly one month after my first 8.38 No Comply blank, I had to set up the second one due to obvious reasons. It held up quite nicely until yesterday when it started to de-laminate badly. New shoes as well yesterday so the first session was very frustrating. On the old deck and shoes I had really started to have heelflips dialed but with the new deck and shoes, altho exactly the same model as the previous, it was an immense struggle I feel like I am back to case one. Anyhow:

- No Comply (German webshop) 8.38 blank twin
- Indy 144 forged hollows stock (good as new)
- Spitfire Classics 52mm (good as new)
- Quantum Fusions (new)
- Miles
- Diamond 7/8 Allens

All components were cheap or sale items (except for the Quantums but compared to other ceramics they are reasonably priced) so that's a quite affordable yet beautiful set up in my eyes. I just hope my shoes will break in soon.

Bonus: I never had a quiver but somehow it came to this...

These are my curb (left) and rain (right) set ups:

Left:

- Ishod 8.5 twin, which I repaired with wood glue (we'll see how that holds up but if I don't flip / primo, I hope it should be ok)
- Indy 149 forged hollows stock
- Spitfire Classics 52mm
- Swiss six balls
- re-gripped with brittle Jessup
- bolts

Right:

- Ishod 8.5 Full
- Indy 149 hollow
- 25 year old Spitfire 52mm that I bought in 1997
- Bronson G2s (that hold up nicely so far, once they clog up I will throw some Quantum Fusions on it)
- re-gripped with shop grip
- bolts
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #32771 on: February 01, 2023, 11:41:20 AM »

Exactly one month after my first 8.38 No Comply blank, I had to set up the second one due to obvious reasons. It held up quite nicely until yesterday when it started to de-laminate badly. New shoes as well yesterday so the first session was very frustrating. On the old deck and shoes I had really started to have heelflips dialed but with the new deck and shoes, altho exactly the same model as the previous, it was an immense struggle I feel like I am back to case one. Anyhow:

- Quantum Fusions (new)
- Miles
- Diamond 7/8 Allens

All components were cheap or sale items (except for the Quantums but compared to other ceramics they are reasonably priced) so that's a quite affordable yet beautiful set up in my eyes. I just hope my shoes will break in soon.

Left:

- Ishod 8.5 twin, which I repaired with wood glue (we'll see how that holds up but if I don't flip / primo, I hope it should be ok)
- Spitfire Classics 52mm
- Swiss six balls
- bolts

Right:

- Ishod 8.5 Full
- Indy 149 hollow
- Bronson G2s (that hold up nicely so far, once they clog up I will throw some Quantum Fusions on it)
- bolts

Damn. I haven't seen a deck delaminate like this in many years now. Any idea which woodshop they used?

Cool to see that others also have a rain setup.

And Heelflips are just generally a struggle with new shoes or a new deck. Or both in your case, don't be too hard on yourself and try them again at the 4th session.
IG: @flowterspace

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #32772 on: February 01, 2023, 01:24:46 PM »
Expand Quote

- Quantum Fusions (new)
- Miles
- Diamond 7/8 Allens

Left:

- Spitfire Classics 52mm
- Swiss six balls
- bolts

Right:

- Ishod 8.5 Full
- Indy 149 hollow
- bolts
[close]

Damn. I haven't seen a deck delaminate like this in many years now. Any idea which woodshop they used?

Cool to see that others also have a rain setup.

And Heelflips are just generally a struggle with new shoes or a new deck. Or both in your case, don't be too hard on yourself and try them again at the 4th session.

It was your posts that inspired me to skate in the rain. Complete game changer so thanks. Usually a new deck works fine for my heelflips but in combination with new shoes it‘s a nightmare.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

PRISON IKE

• Rep: 37
  • Flex seal, but for genitalia
« Reply #32773 on: February 01, 2023, 01:39:19 PM »
Expand Quote

Santa Cruz Remillard 9.25 x 32
Indy 169 Hollows with Bones Hard Bushings
Indy Allen Hardware
Bones Reds
Spitfire 52mm OG Classics
Jessup
Etnies Windrow Vulcs

Going out of town for work so I set up a fresh piece. Only pushed around the driveway but it feels like a skateboard.
[close]

Nice! What are the specs? Looks close to Crails Couch shape. Would be fun as cruiser/transition deck.

Thanks. 9.25 x 32. 14wb. Tails a bit square and the nose just a bit pointy. Right at 9 over the front and just barely under 9 at the rear trucks. Has a very similar feel the the couch shape. Little bit longer wb than the couch I think. I haven’t measured the nose or tail but I’d imaging they are close.

It’s a blast on pretty much everything so far. It’s super crusty where Ive traveled to for work so I went to the local and I got some 54mm 97 conical fulls to have a bit of fun on.
I’d skin my knee and palms so bad on my buddy’s jump ramp with that thing.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32774 on: February 01, 2023, 03:20:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Santa Cruz Remillard 9.25 x 32
Indy 169 Hollows with Bones Hard Bushings
Indy Allen Hardware
Bones Reds
Spitfire 52mm OG Classics
Jessup
Etnies Windrow Vulcs

Going out of town for work so I set up a fresh piece. Only pushed around the driveway but it feels like a skateboard.
[close]

Nice! What are the specs? Looks close to Crails Couch shape. Would be fun as cruiser/transition deck.
[close]

Thanks. 9.25 x 32. 14wb. Tails a bit square and the nose just a bit pointy. Right at 9 over the front and just barely under 9 at the rear trucks. Has a very similar feel the the couch shape. Little bit longer wb than the couch I think. I haven’t measured the nose or tail but I’d imaging they are close.

It’s a blast on pretty much everything so far. It’s super crusty where Ive traveled to for work so I went to the local and I got some 54mm 97 conical fulls to have a bit of fun on.
sounds interesting…can we get a top view?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 456
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32775 on: February 02, 2023, 05:06:24 AM »

Real Ishod 8.12 with 14” wheelbase
Thunder light 148
Cones Wheels Demolition Formula 54mm
Quantum Metallics
Bender 7/8 allen
Jessup

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #32776 on: February 02, 2023, 01:06:39 PM »

Black Label Thumbhead Stacked 9" x 32.62" with 14.5" wheelbase
Thunder 161 standard with aftermarket Thunder 94a bushings
Spitfire Radial Full 58mm 97a radial full
Bones Super Reds Ceramics
Real Thunder 1" riser pads
Indy 1" hardware
Jessup Ultra
Santa Cruz Slimeline rails

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #32777 on: February 02, 2023, 01:32:12 PM »

Indy 1" hardware
Jessup Ultra

Nice one. I've always enjoyed that weird smoking baby graphic

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Tireeedd

• Rep: 75
« Reply #32778 on: February 02, 2023, 04:46:37 PM »

Indy 1" hardware

How are the ceramics?
Jessup Ultra

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #32779 on: February 02, 2023, 05:38:32 PM »
Spicy dimensions on that Black Label. Looks great.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #32780 on: February 02, 2023, 06:23:16 PM »
Expand Quote

Indy 1" hardware
Jessup Ultra
[close]
How are the ceramics?

I've had these for maybe a year now, best bearings I've ever had. Smooth, fast, keeps speed, and stays quiet. I don't have to do maintenance often compared to steel ball bearings. There were a couple times where a couple bearings seized up, but I was always able to get them spinning like new.

inb4 someone brings up Quantum ceramic bearings. I've never had them so I can't compare.

lilboosie

• Rep: 226
« Reply #32781 on: February 03, 2023, 10:03:45 AM »
I have been blowing it and not taking care of myself as much as i should. So I set up a new deck to get my booty back on the streets

Polar 8.5 oski
Ace af1 55 animal crossing trucks
Spitfire f4 55mm skate like a girl
Idk bearings
Diamond hardware
Mob grip
Crippling anxiety

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #32782 on: February 03, 2023, 11:21:53 AM »

Heroin 8.5  14.375 WB
Indy 149 Forged Hollows
52mm F4 classic fulls
Quantum Isotopes
Pepper grip

After riding Thunders exclusively for all of last year I decided to blow the dust off these indys that've been sitting on a shelf. 

Get hungry on it!

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Rep: 90
    • Quantum Bearings avatar image
« Reply #32783 on: February 03, 2023, 02:11:01 PM »
Thanks, Gene!
http://www.quantumbearing.science/

Instagram
@quantumbearings

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #32784 on: February 03, 2023, 03:41:53 PM »
I have been blowing it and not taking care of myself as much as i should. So I set up a new deck to get my booty back on the streets

Polar 8.5 oski
Ace af1 55 animal crossing trucks
Spitfire f4 55mm skate like a girl
Idk bearings
Diamond hardware
Mob grip
Crippling anxiety

I dig those baby blue aces

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Daewons front truck

• Rep: 30
« Reply #32785 on: February 03, 2023, 04:01:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

8.38 FA Deck
Raw/black Tensor Alloys
Pig Griptape
Diamond 7/8s Allen

[close]

How did you come across that $15 deck?

Sorry I just now saw the question, the-house.com was trying to get rid of their skate stock. I also bought some globe completes for 32 dollars and they came with tensor Raws, abec 7 bearings and decent 99a wheels

On a unrelated note did ace really do an animal crossing game truck?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #32786 on: February 03, 2023, 09:05:58 PM »

On a unrelated note did ace really do an animal crossing game truck?

@lilboosie is a paint wizard.

Check this thread for his painting efforts and pic of them:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=122594.0
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #32787 on: February 04, 2023, 06:53:41 AM »

new "regular" board

FA 8.3
indys, inverted kingpin baseplates
52 mm Spit tablets 101a
bones swiss 6 ball

this is my first "embossed" graphic board, and i kind of hate it.  the graphic feels like this big plastic piece that is just flaking off in chunks.  looks really shitty.  are all embossed boards all like this? 

shape and wood feels good though
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

nosneb

• Rep: 90
« Reply #32788 on: February 04, 2023, 07:35:43 AM »
You gotta do some more good slides to remove the paint that’s raised up from the embossing

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #32789 on: February 04, 2023, 04:46:39 PM »

Max Palmer 8.25 Limo
Black/white orange label Dunks
fuck you bama