Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4801501 times)

Scottboarding, MMongrel, CowboyDan, DERBY and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Alex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #25680 on: September 23, 2020, 07:14:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’m in love with that orchard deck, how did you like it?

I really want to try a clutch t3
[close]

I'm enjoying it! Flips around very easy for the width. My only complaint is is the taper. 149s fit the nose perfectly but the tail was a bit skinny for them. Overall it skates like an 8.375.

I actually have a T3 deck too. Ended up being too big to trick on but makes a great cruiser. This photo shows the T3 on the left, 8.5 in the middle, and the Orchard football on the right

[close]
how is the wood and the kicks? might have to pick one up
[close]
The wood is real good on Orchard shop decks.
To me clutch decks feel thinner than average, making them light and snappy. They do seem to flex and creak more as a result though. The kicks and concave are mid steepness. I whiff kickflips sometimes on the football because the nose is smaller than I'm used to

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #25681 on: September 23, 2020, 07:37:01 AM »

Ya know, lately I've been under a lot of stress and I was doing some thinkin.. What can I do to counteract all the stress? Then it hit me... I needed to find some FUN. What could be more FUN than a football shaped deck? So I bought one.. But it wasn't FUN enough on its own. I still hadn't reached the level of FUN I was seeking. So I bought some vintage ventures and boy howdy were they FUN. But it still wasn't enough. I wasn't quite to the apex of FUN yet.. there was something missing. So I started to do some more thinking. It took me a while but all of a sudden I had an epiphany - tiny wheels! Like the ones people used to skate in the early 90s, which is scientifically proven to have been the most FUN era in the existence of mankind. Thus, I present to you - the pure, distilled essence of the very concept of FUN. FUN FUN FUN FUN IT'S SO FUN!

Blind 8.12 Brian Lotti reissue
Vinture 5.2s (original bushings and authentic lack of turning included)
Boardy Cakes 44mm fat bundts
GMN bearings
Black Magic
Jessup grip

Looks like fun.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #25682 on: September 23, 2020, 08:40:25 AM »

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #25683 on: September 23, 2020, 09:16:45 AM »
I'm definitely liking that Lotti setup. The ventures and boardy cakes tie it together nicely.

Is that just a nicely dyed top ply, or is there something more to that vivid aqua blue color?

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25684 on: September 23, 2020, 01:25:56 PM »
I'm definitely liking that Lotti setup. The ventures and boardy cakes tie it together nicely.

Is that just a nicely dyed top ply, or is there something more to that vivid aqua blue color?

Just a nice top ply and the oversaturation that modern phone cameras impart.

Novelty

« Reply #25685 on: September 23, 2020, 01:46:59 PM »
Lotti football / Vintage Ventures / 44mm = SOTY (Setup of the Year) contender

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #25686 on: September 23, 2020, 03:37:49 PM »
That setup is amazing and how the hell did you find those vintage NOS ventures?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1927
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #25687 on: September 23, 2020, 07:12:54 PM »

I think TGM or skateamerica had them for sale:
https://www.skateamerica.com/products/venture-icon-high-skateboard-trucks-set-of-2-raw-5-0
(old logo design but not legit like BFRD's 6-hole baseplate)
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #25688 on: September 23, 2020, 08:46:26 PM »
I put off trying out this board for a while, not sure why...now that I have it, I think I have found my deck...hope they don't stop making it anytime soon. It has all the best bits of egg shape that i like, but a nice big tail and not pointy...a nice wide spot for my front foot, but tapered at the trucks to about 8.5...everything about it for me is so well balanced and proportioned.

AH Brown Bomber
thunder 149
SP 53mm classics
bones super swiss

Diocletian

« Reply #25689 on: September 23, 2020, 09:20:05 PM »
I put off trying out this board for a while, not sure why...now that I have it, I think I have found my deck...hope they don't stop making it anytime soon. It has all the best bits of egg shape that i like, but a nice big tail and not pointy...a nice wide spot for my front foot, but tapered at the trucks to about 8.5...everything about it for me is so well balanced and proportioned.

AH Brown Bomber
thunder 149
SP 53mm classics
bones super swiss

I've skated two of these and they were the best shape and wheelbase I've ever had. They seem to have stopped making it :'(

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #25690 on: September 23, 2020, 09:32:46 PM »

Ya know, lately I've been under a lot of stress and I was doing some thinkin.. What can I do to counteract all the stress? Then it hit me... I needed to find some FUN. What could be more FUN than a football shaped deck? So I bought one.. But it wasn't FUN enough on its own. I still hadn't reached the level of FUN I was seeking. So I bought some vintage ventures and boy howdy were they FUN. But it still wasn't enough. I wasn't quite to the apex of FUN yet.. there was something missing. So I started to do some more thinking. It took me a while but all of a sudden I had an epiphany - tiny wheels! Like the ones people used to skate in the early 90s, which is scientifically proven to have been the most FUN era in the existence of mankind. Thus, I present to you - the pure, distilled essence of the very concept of FUN. FUN FUN FUN FUN IT'S SO FUN!

Blind 8.12 Brian Lotti reissue
Vinture 5.2s (original bushings and authentic lack of turning included)
Boardy Cakes 44mm fat bundts
GMN bearings
Black Magic
Jessup grip

this is beautiful!
i have this same deck. set up w/ Indy stage 7 136s, and A1 Meats 52mm (found a deal on NOS).
Those Boardy Cakes make me want to grab a set to throw on it instead.
Even though it's 8.12, the football taper makes it feel like a 7.75
and it sure is FUN

sammyz

« Reply #25691 on: September 23, 2020, 10:23:29 PM »
Expand Quote

AH Brown Bomber
thunder 149
SP 53mm classics
bones super swiss
[close]

I've skated two of these and they were the best shape and wheelbase I've ever had. They seem to have stopped making it :'(

seriously?? is it confirmed?? shit! I thought these were standard AH decks.

I think the shop had another of these, might go get it before it sells out

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25692 on: September 23, 2020, 10:48:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

AH Brown Bomber
thunder 149
SP 53mm classics
bones super swiss
[close]

[close]

Probably covid related since the Brown Bomber and its siblings are supposed to be available year round.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25693 on: September 24, 2020, 04:10:50 AM »

They're surprisingly common on eBay. It took me a little while to find the 8" ones (the 7.5 and 7.75 seem to be more common) but there's typically at least one or two listings for them. Some people massively overvalue them but if you're patient or good at haggling with sellers you should be able to snag a pair for under $50

I also have another NOS 8" single from the same era but it's a slightly different logo and weighs about 10g less, so they must have switched the materials up at some point.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #25694 on: September 24, 2020, 06:17:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

AH Brown Bomber
thunder 149
SP 53mm classics
bones super swiss
[close]

[close]

[close]

Probably covid related since the Brown Bomber and its siblings are supposed to be available year round.

I hope you're right. I did a lot of battle with this shape but once I paired it up with the right wheels and trucks it became a favorite. I would buy another one today if I could find it.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #25695 on: September 24, 2020, 06:18:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

AH Brown Bomber
thunder 149
SP 53mm classics
bones super swiss
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I hope you're right. I did a lot of battle with this shape but once I paired it up with the right wheels and trucks it became a favorite. I would buy another one today if I could find it.

What trucks and wheels ?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #25696 on: September 24, 2020, 06:21:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

AH Brown Bomber
thunder 149
SP 53mm classics
bones super swiss
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

What trucks and wheels ?

Aces and conical fulls. I tried it with Venture and Indy and just did not get along with it, but with that combo it felt pretty effortless.

Diocletian

« Reply #25697 on: September 24, 2020, 07:50:51 AM »
Yeah I rode mine with Ace 44's and three washers on the inside and it was perfect. I hope they bring it back because I would skate this board forever. 

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #25698 on: September 24, 2020, 01:56:26 PM »
I just rode one with ace 55 no washers and 56mm Slime balls which are kinda like a regular conical f4. Missing it, the madness (Dreams shaped 8.75) I replaced it with is a hair too narrow for  the 55.

Reckon that and my old dune slappy shape are my fave decks since I started skating again.

There’s pics a few pages bank.

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25699 on: September 24, 2020, 02:03:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

AH Brown Bomber
thunder 149
SP 53mm classics
bones super swiss
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

What trucks and wheels ?
[close]

Aces and conical fulls. I tried it with Venture and Indy and just did not get along with it, but with that combo it felt pretty effortless.

Real question should be, if sammy is skating in those airmax or not?

sammyz

« Reply #25700 on: September 24, 2020, 05:13:56 PM »
Haha...nah man...those Air Max’s are purely for walking...i dont even walk fast in them

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #25701 on: September 25, 2020, 06:15:26 AM »

Hockey KRod 8.5"
Ace 44, 2 washers inside
99 F4 Conical Full 52mm
Mob/Reds/Shorty's

I bought this board in June because I love the graphic, but only skated it twice because these square boards just look so wrong to me. Mostly skating big 90s shaped boards, but my current one had a tiny, tiny nose so I felt like I needed to set this one back up as an antidote. Ended up having one of my best days in a long while and now I am having kind of a madness meltdown. May put my 56mm Loophole V-cuts on this one and just run with it. I also think I like Mob more than Jessup now which feels a little shameful.

gyros4heroes

• Rep: -20
« Reply #25702 on: September 25, 2020, 06:56:08 AM »
[/url]

FA 8.38
Thunder Hollows 148
Spitfire F4 Classics 52mm

Bought this as the previous 2 boards i ve had after a habitat 8.38 were completely random with shorter noses than tails. Looks steeper and the tail is shorter than the habitat shape but overall looks like sex

« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 09:04:35 AM by malakawarrior »

os89

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25703 on: September 25, 2020, 07:10:25 AM »
Haha...nah man...those Air Max’s are purely for walking...i dont even walk fast in them

Yea I figured haha, but yo, don't sleep on that speed walking in the mall scene.

So many honeys walking around in their windbreaker tracksuits early in the morning.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25704 on: September 25, 2020, 08:59:51 AM »

Just setup this flip stick. Been waiting ages for this pocket rocket. Wanted to use cast ventures but hollows is all I could get

DOA 7.5
Venture Hollow Lo 5.0
F4 99a 52

os89

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25705 on: September 25, 2020, 09:05:44 AM »

Just setup this flip stick. Been waiting ages for this pocket rocket. Wanted to use cast ventures but hollows is all I could get

DOA 7.5
Venture Hollow Lo 5.0
F4 99a 52

Nice.

Fat Bundts JUST arrived, took the spits of I was going to use, and this thing is finally done.

Can’t really try it out today because of the rain. Was nervous about the hi’s, but just popped an Ollie in the apartment and it felt surprisingly good.

5boro 7.75
Venture 5.2 hi’s
Boardy Cakes Fat Bundts 44mm
Jessup
Cheapshots
Shortys

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25706 on: September 25, 2020, 09:11:20 AM »
Expand Quote

DOA 7.5
Venture Hollow Lo 5.0
F4 99a 52
[close]

Nice.

Fat Bundts JUST arrived, took the spits of I was going to use, and this thing is finally done.

Can’t really try it out today because of the rain. Was nervous about the hi’s, but just popped an Ollie in the apartment and it felt surprisingly good.

5boro 7.75
Venture 5.2 hi’s
Jessup
Cheapshots
Shortys

Beauty!

the fat bundts are next on my list. Bit worried how they ride on my shit streets. I know they're hard. I've been used to 99a f4s for awhile.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #25707 on: September 25, 2020, 09:42:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

DOA 7.5
Venture Hollow Lo 5.0
F4 99a 52
[close]

Nice.

5boro 7.75
Venture 5.2 hi’s
Jessup
Cheapshots
Shortys
[close]

Beauty!

the fat bundts are next on my list. Bit worried how they ride on my shit streets. I know they're hard. I've been used to 99a f4s for awhile.

in my experience they handle rough asphalt pretty good, i hardly even notice how small they are when i ride mine

thespacewolf

• Rep: 12
« Reply #25708 on: September 25, 2020, 09:46:24 AM »

Hockey KRod 8.5"
Ace 44, 2 washers inside
99 F4 Conical Full 52mm
Mob/Reds/Shorty's

I bought this board in June because I love the graphic, but only skated it twice because these square boards just look so wrong to me. Mostly skating big 90s shaped boards, but my current one had a tiny, tiny nose so I felt like I needed to set this one back up as an antidote. Ended up having one of my best days in a long while and now I am having kind of a madness meltdown. May put my 56mm Loophole V-cuts on this one and just run with it. I also think I like Mob more than Jessup now which feels a little shameful.
Does anyone know what this graphic is a reference to?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #25709 on: September 25, 2020, 10:25:17 AM »

Hockey KRod 8.5"
Ace 44, 2 washers inside
99 F4 Conical Full 52mm
Mob/Reds/Shorty's

gnar. that graphic is gorgeous and on my favorite shape

dont feel embarrassed by the mob thing. i liked jessup when i was skating vulcs but now that im purely skating cupsoles, might have to try out mob again for the extra grip.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo